Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

church

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

obstipator posted:

how do i make itunes auto sync to my ipod when i have it plugged in? i have to manually press the sync button and its annoying when i drag and drop the newest justin beiber to my "sync" playlist and then i go out and the song isn't on my 'pod!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I already have that checked apparently. itunes sux!!!

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
got a problem with Firefox on Windblows 8.1.3459820358903294802938049283049820398409234982390409234

you know these things?

whenever I click them, or use other forums that have the same kind of feature, Firefox will jump to that post, but then it starts loading in every element on the page, pics and stuff, so eventually the post you were at is like a million mouse scrolls down on the page. it doesn't stay there. this worked in Chome, and works on Safari on my supreme MBA.

wtf ??

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Granbar posted:

got a problem with Firefox on Windblows 8.1.3459820358903294802938049283049820398409234982390409234

you know these things?

whenever I click them, or use other forums that have the same kind of feature, Firefox will jump to that post, but then it starts loading in every element on the page, pics and stuff, so eventually the post you were at is like a million mouse scrolls down on the page. it doesn't stay there. this worked in Chome, and works on Safari on my supreme MBA.

wtf ??

there's an option in the user control panel to adjust the page position after it finishes loading. that has pretty much fixed this firefox behavior for me (although it gets adjusted slightly sideways as well, which irritates me)

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

prefect posted:

there's an option in the user control panel to adjust the page position after it finishes loading. that has pretty much fixed this firefox behavior for me

I must be blind! keep looking, but I can't seem to find it...

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Granbar posted:

I must be blind! keep looking, but I can't seem to find it...

in the SA user control panel, not firefox

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

in the SA user control panel, not firefox

haha, d'oh.. thanks! let's hope this works

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Adjust the page position to the top of the requested post after the page loads
Meant to readjust the page after images load (currently buggy in IE6)

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

it seems to be working! thanks, my friends:)

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Granbar posted:

it seems to be working! thanks, my friends:)

i like this thread because there's usually a nice ending :)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
So, question:

I have a SecurID Hard token, and noticed the expiration date of the token exceeds 2 years from this current date. I've had the token for several months already. These keyfob's show a 6 digit number. If the token change is once per minute, and there are no repeating numbers, the expiration of the token should be shorter than 2 years.

What gives?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the pattern won't repeat, I'm p.sure you'll the same code a couple of times in its lifecycle. the clocks in those things have to be in roughly sync with the server doing auth so the expiration date is there so you don't use a device with a dying battery that is causing the clock to drag

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
that's numberwang

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

the expiry is
* for battery replacement as above
* to force a new seed or whatever instead of having 1 forever
* to make RSA some more money

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

if the codes never repeated, then you would be able to use previously generated code to reduce your pool of possible new codes as the device ages until it becomes wildly insecure toward the end of its life

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
e. nvm, its the new ram I bought 2 loving months ago lol smdh

still why don't computers beep anymore. it should be like beep beep ur ram is bad bro or like its 2015 put 2k on the mobo just to initialize the screen and print "check ur ram lol"

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 8, 2015

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

A Pinball Wizard posted:

my laptop won't start up. when I turn it on the lights come on and the fans whir but it either shuts back off or just sits there and nothing happens. it doesn't beep do computers not beep anymore when they can't post? anyway I tried reseating the ram and the processor is there anyway to find out what's wrong besides just swapping parts out. its a lenovo if that matters.

Have you read the manual for trouble shooting information? Sometimes they put hardware trouble shooting information in there for motherboards.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I was just given a pentium III laptop to e-waste. To my surprise it boots and works. What should I do with a computer that has a working floppy drive?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

disable all power management and leave it running 24/7 with a counter displaying the amount of energy you are wasting with that ancient piece of poo poo that could be replaced with a $20 SoC

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I was just given a pentium III laptop to e-waste. To my surprise it boots and works. What should I do with a computer that has a working floppy drive?

put all your posting on it and throw it in the garbage

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

3 excellent suggestions

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

disable all power management and leave it running 24/7 with a counter displaying the amount of energy you are wasting with that ancient piece of poo poo that could be replaced with a $20 SoC

Time to break out the kill-o-watt.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

mail it to me

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

its best to converge all useless items in to a single location that we can easily avoid

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Nintendo Kid posted:

mail it to me

Would you mind if I shipped it without the battery?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Would you mind if I shipped it without the battery?

you can ship it with the battery just fine legally. parcel select is cheap.

but yeah that would be fine too i guess? like does it not work at all, is that the thing?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Nintendo Kid posted:

you can ship it with the battery just fine legally. parcel select is cheap.

but yeah that would be fine too i guess? like does it not work at all, is that the thing?

I've never shipped a laptop personally. How should I package it? I'll take a picture real quick.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

How should I package it?

very carefully

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
quality is poo poo, sorry. Its hard to take pictures in the kitchen this time of day.

http://imgur.com/tz0xIFy,E0Jd1cZ

You can PM me the shipping address. Depending on how much it costs I might not be able to ship it till next Tuesday.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

SO DEMANDING posted:

very carefully

I've always had the manufacturers packing stuff. Obv I don't have that for a 12+ year old laptop.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

its best to converge all useless items in to a single location that we can easily avoid

thus, forumid=219

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

SO DEMANDING posted:

very carfully

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I've always had the manufacturers packing stuff. Obv I don't have that for a 12+ year old laptop.

so do your best to emulate how the manufacturers do it

HP's packaging is pretty simple, big block of foam on each edge of the laptop, that fits straight into the box so the laptop is held in place in the middle, no part of the laptop touches the inside of the box

so basically get yourself a narrow enough box and a shitload of bubble wrap, at least that's what i'd do. see if you can mooch off your office's shipping dept if you have one

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

quality is poo poo, sorry. Its hard to take pictures in the kitchen this time of day.

http://imgur.com/tz0xIFy,E0Jd1cZ

You can PM me the shipping address. Depending on how much it costs I might not be able to ship it till next Tuesday.

sent you the deets.

i fuckin love old toshibas

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

yostop lives

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

EMILY BLUNTS posted: