Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

canepazzo posted:

Speaking of Soundsense, is there a way to disable combat sounds on training only?

That would be nice. Even with one full squad training the sounds are nonstop.

necrotic posted:

Are the required to sleep in it? The default sleeping option allows them to sleep in their owned room at will.

I didn't know about that, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I have never had problems with marksdwarf training and all I do is build a long corridor with archery training targets and assign it to my marksdwarf squads. That's it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Node posted:

6) I have wooden and bone bolts set for use as training ammunition only, while metal bolts are for combat, they have 250 of each
7) I'm gay

The marksdwarves are just sitting around doing nothing with copper bolts in their quivers. They're so terrible because they aren't training that they are literally drowning by tripping and falling into the river while trying to shoot capybaras.

They aren't training because they don't have training bolts, they only have combat bolts. (Or at least that's one of the reasons, then you have what their orders are set to, and then you have...) Dwarves aren't smart enough to switch bolts. If the fill their quiver with metal bolts, they won't dump them to get training bolts. Similarly if they have all training bolts, and you tell them to attack something they will run in to battle to attack using their xbow as a hammer.

This is the best guide I know about it: http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/2k65yc/mechanixms_archery_training_primer/

Follow it step by step and you'll find what you are missing.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Node posted:

This has probably been asked a hundred times, but this thread is pretty big to search through, so forgive me. How do you get your marksdwarves to train? Here are the things I have done which I think is everything they need:

1) There are multiple archery ranges with the correct direction set and they are assigned as training to the marksdwarf squad
2) There is a marksdwarf squad set with the archery uniform
3) They have crossbows and quivers
4) They are active/training
5) They aren't stationed anywhere
6) I have wooden and bone bolts set for use as training ammunition only, while metal bolts are for combat, they have 250 of each
7) I'm gay

The marksdwarves are just sitting around doing nothing with copper bolts in their quivers. They're so terrible because they aren't training that they are literally drowning by tripping and falling into the river while trying to shoot capybaras.

Check my post history. The first thing I did was try to untangle that mess, and I think I documented it ok in this thread.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Node posted:

This has probably been asked a hundred times, but this thread is pretty big to search through, so forgive me. How do you get your marksdwarves to train? Here are the things I have done which I think is everything they need:

1) There are multiple archery ranges with the correct direction set and they are assigned as training to the marksdwarf squad
2) There is a marksdwarf squad set with the archery uniform
3) They have crossbows and quivers
4) They are active/training
5) They aren't stationed anywhere
7) I'm gay

Do you also have them assigned to a regular barracks? The archery range is supplemental, if they don't have a regular barracks assigned they won't train at all.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Something is wrong with my merchants. They are just standing around in the fields with their pack mules and such after they were done trading. The guards will attack lemurmen but then they freeze again when everything's dead. What's up? am I gonna get more trade guys or are these guys it?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Wow, this is unusual even for Bay12 standards

quote:

**CURRENT VERSION: 0.01- The First Release**
-Vulpisapiens, a new animalman type!
-Vulpisapiens are new playable race in adventure mode and dwarf mode! *
-A few special items! **
-An optional song_title replacement! ***
-A new creature variation! ****
-A new language!
-Some more speech files!
-And more to come!

* dwarf entity with special tailhole pants and title names switched to pen-paws and bitch consorts and fangs and furriers
** wearable fursuits
*** happy_happy_joy_joy.ogg
**** buggy imitation of the default ANIMAL_PERSON variation

when there's like three threads already for animal person mods and one of them is just "ME AND MY FRIEND WILL PUT SOMETHING HERE SOON" chat, it takes some effort to go under the bar

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Happy_happy_joy_joy.ogg? Is stinky wizzle teats a playable race?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Are there any good Adventure Mode LP's for the current version? I've tried a couple times to figure out Adventure Mode on my own since I have a feeling it could be really fun, but I want to see what people who actually understand it have done and can do.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Deon's Wanderer stuff is still the top of the heap, I think. He was on a hiatus for most of the 0.40 dramatic arc, but resurfaced again a little while ago.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

scamtank posted:

Wow, this is unusual even for Bay12 standards

when there's like three threads already for animal person mods and one of them is just "ME AND MY FRIEND WILL PUT SOMETHING HERE SOON" chat, it takes some effort to go under the bar

Was hoping late april fools day.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Sub Rosa posted:

Dwarves aren't smart enough to switch bolts. If the fill their quiver with metal bolts, they won't dump them to get training bolts.

This is the problem. They all have metal bolts in their quivers, and I have metal bolts set to be combat only.

So they really won't switch them out to train. That is kinda irritating. It sounds like if I want them to train, I have to either let all bolts be combat and training (which means they could use wooden arrows in combat) or somehow manipulate the marksdwarves so they empty their quiver and put in wooden bolts so they can train with those. And I don't know how I can do that, or if its even possible.

Node fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 8, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah that is a tremendously irritating bug. I'm not sure how I never ran into it before this version because I never noticed it before but it's just a massive wall of bullshit when it appears.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Node posted:

This is the problem. They all have metal bolts in their quivers, and I have metal bolts set to be combat only.

So they really won't switch them out to train. That is kinda irritating. It sounds like if I want them to train, I have to either let all bolts be combat and training (which means they could use wooden arrows in combat) or somehow manipulate the marksdwarves so they empty their quiver and put in wooden bolts so they can train with those. And I don't know how I can do that, or if its even possible.

I almost always just have them use bone bolts exclusively for both. There's more than enough bones and they seem to penetrate just fine. Sure they won't take down an armored target but that's what the guys with the lead maces are for.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Someone posted back when I had that problem that if you make 2 squads, one assigned to use the wooden training bolts, and only assigned to train, and the other assigned to use metal bolts and never train, you can swap dwarves between the squads and they'll drop and pick up the right ammo when you switch them. Just be sure to have enough quivers to cover both squads. I haven't tried this myself yet, but it could/should work.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So were evil biomes always just dangerous off the gimmicks of syndrome rain, clouds and reanimation? I've been trying to get into an actual dangerous area embarking in terrifying areas in every biome and the most threatening surface creature that spawned was my horse turning opposed to life by eating some evil grass. Hamsters, snakes, random birds, camels, leopards, deer are all spawning in fully evil biomes. Were beakdogs, harpies, ogres and the like all shoved off to the caverns?

Not only that, I'm playing Masterwork and clicked on the "Surface creatures" which is supposed to add another 115 things to the surface... yet I'm still getting surface creatures that I may as well of just played vanilla and embarked in a calm forest.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They do seem a lot less common than I remember, yeah, except I would always get a lot of giant gargoyles (pretty much game over), like 5 at a time, whenever I tried to do evil/mountain.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The effects of evil biomes have been randomized (or something like that) for a bunch of versions now. It's hard to tell if you're going to get a relatively normal biome with beak dogs and sometimes it rains gross but harmless blood, or if you're going to get some kind horrific nightmare world with staring eyeball grass, the dead rising from their graves, death plagues falling from the sky, and skeletal whales dragging themselves from the ocean to crush the living.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The effects of evil biomes have been randomized (or something like that) for a bunch of versions now. It's hard to tell if you're going to get a relatively normal biome with beak dogs and sometimes it rains gross but harmless blood, or if you're going to get some kind horrific nightmare world with staring eyeball grass, the dead rising from their graves, death plagues falling from the sky, and skeletal whales dragging themselves from the ocean to crush the living.
Harmless rains of blood? I'd kill to get harmless rains of blood. What I get is generally different flavours of absolute murder-rain, like the purple ooze that made anyone infected blister on every single internal and external bodypart (Including the skeleton), collapse in extreme pain, and essentially scream until they suffocated.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, the game rolls up a given number of "evil region nastiness profiles" that it then, I dunno, assigns to evil regions by drawing them from a hat? They all have FREQUENCY:100 and a given evil biome only seems to have that one set of horrors as dictated by the generated entry.

In my impartial world:

• 11 out of 20 terrors had a spontaneous reanimation effect. 9 of them imposed a penalty of only 60% base speed, but one lowered it all the way to 20% and one didn't touch it at all.
  • 15 out of 20 terrors were associated with vile weather. 4 had dwarf/elf/goblin/human blood rain, disgusting but harmless. 5 had randomly chosen evil rains and 6 were saddled with randomly generated vile murks, each from a pool of 16 as per my world generation settings.
  • Evil rains are mild. They cause 1-3 symptoms, all of which are limited to mild, non-debilitating stuff at a paltry 10 severity. Dizziness, fever and nausea, pain and bloody cough, localized oozing, blistering and bruising (targeting only vascular tissue, only muscular tissue or both). It depends on the type of rain whether the effects are reduced/delayed by size or subject to disease resistance. They take anywhere from seconds to 24 hours (1200 ticks) to kick in and take 3-4 days to run their course, but all lengths are randomized.
  • Evil fogs are nasty as hell. Even if they don't zombify you on the spot (7 out of 16 fogs, mutually exclusive with diseases), they get to choose up to 5 symptoms from the full range of effects, including drowsiness and unconsciousness, numbness and paralysis, swelling, bleeding and barfing blood, localized necrosis and organ failure. All symptoms are severity 100, occur instantly and can't be mitigated. Zombification is instant and irreversible.

e: It's the random [VASCULAR_ONLY] modifier that makes blisters/bruising/pain really stupid and horrible. Just about every tissue in a dwarf's body other than the hair and nails have some degree of blood circulation and is therefore affected.
e2: No, I didn't notice that some of the effects aren't LOCALIZED. There's like four rains that put their blisters or oozing straight-up on every bodypart that fills the above criteria.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 9, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I like it when it rains poo and everyone chokes to death on the poo.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

neogeo0823 posted:

Someone posted back when I had that problem that if you make 2 squads, one assigned to use the wooden training bolts, and only assigned to train, and the other assigned to use metal bolts and never train, you can swap dwarves between the squads and they'll drop and pick up the right ammo when you switch them. Just be sure to have enough quivers to cover both squads. I haven't tried this myself yet, but it could/should work.

Clever idea. I'll try that.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Node posted:

Clever idea. I'll try that.

It works. It's an annoying workaround, but at least it gets them training.

How do you keep your masons efficient? Whenever they want to make something, they haul a rock which is extremely heavy, and get maybe one or two jobs in before they sleep, drink, eat, or go to a party. I have wheelbarrows, but they don't use them. What is the common method to having efficient stonemasons? My stone currently doesn't have a stockpile, because dwarves will die of old age before they haul them all. I know of quantum stockpiling them, but it auto-forbids all the stone that goes into it, and un-forbidding every single stone is way too much micromanagement.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Wheelbarrows are only used when moving stuff to stockpiles. Use stone stockpiles with wheelbarrows. Put the stone stockpiles next to your masonry shops. Dwarves will haul stones to the stockpile using the wheelbarrows. Then your masons can grab a stone and only have to lug it by hand a few tiles instead of across the entire drat map.

You can do quantum stockpiles without needing to unforbid things by way of using minecarts but that's a bit more complicated. And will still need wheelbarrows if you want to do it at any decent sort of speed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You should also build constructions from stone blocks rather than raw stone. Stone blocks are easier to haul.
And if you're making a large construction, make stockpiles nearby.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Node posted:

How do you keep your masons efficient? Whenever they want to make something, they haul a rock which is extremely heavy, and get maybe one or two jobs in before they sleep, drink, eat, or go to a party. I have wheelbarrows, but they don't use them. What is the common method to having efficient stonemasons? My stone currently doesn't have a stockpile, because dwarves will die of old age before they haul them all. I know of quantum stockpiling them, but it auto-forbids all the stone that goes into it, and un-forbidding every single stone is way too much micromanagement.

Make a stone stockpile next to the mason's shop. Assign wheelbarrows to the stone stockpile. Make the stone stockpile give to the mason's workshop — this will make it impossible for the mason's shop to accept stone from anywhere else.

Don't use a quantum stockpile; just a regular one.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Node posted:

It's like you're me from the past. Again, look through my post history, and you'll see I had almost this exact problem. Someone linked me to some demo threads on Reddit about quantum stockpiles. Getting them set up with minecarts isn't that hard once you've done it a couple times. There will be a part in the demo where the minecart is set up to take from a nearby stockpile so that it can dump into the quantum stockpile. When you get to this, instead of making one medium sized pile and linking the minecart to it, make 3-4 small stockpiles with 3 wheelbarrows each and link all of those to the minecart. That way, instead of having 3 dwarves hauling a couple stone at a time, you can have a dozen cleaning poo poo like a meat-and-wood tornado.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

neogeo0823 posted:

When you get to this, instead of making one medium sized pile and linking the minecart to it, make 3-4 small stockpiles with 3 wheelbarrows each and link all of those to the minecart. That way, instead of having 3 dwarves hauling a couple stone at a time, you can have a dozen cleaning poo poo like a meat-and-wood tornado.

I used to do this (multiple 3-barrow stockpiles feeding a minecart), but DFHack lets you assign more than 3 wheelbarrows to a pile now! So I stick to one with 12-15 wheelbarrows, quite a bit quicker to setup!

Be aware you can clog up a pile with too many 'barrows, though. If I want 15 'barrows in a stockpile I make it at least 7x3, preferably a bit bigger.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GenericOverusedName posted:

You can do quantum stockpiles without needing to unforbid things by way of using minecarts but that's a bit more complicated. And will still need wheelbarrows if you want to do it at any decent sort of speed.

It's easier to use minecarts than to do the other method. People are really afraid of minecarts for some reason, they're not that bad.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Pickled Tink posted:

Harmless rains of blood? I'd kill to get harmless rains of blood. What I get is generally different flavours of absolute murder-rain, like the purple ooze that made anyone infected blister on every single internal and external bodypart (Including the skeleton), collapse in extreme pain, and essentially scream until they suffocated.

My current Masterwork fort rains orc blood. This is made even better by the presence by several marauding orc civilizations that want to raze the castle i've built to the ground.

Between the blood rains and the constant clusterfuck of musket wielding humans, marauding orcs, patrolling knights, and my artillery cannons bombarding areas of the map the whole map is basically coated in blood and severed body parts at this point.

I basically just blare this song the entire time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gCgluVD0Aw

:black101:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 9, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Moridin920 posted:

It's easier to use minecarts than to do the other method. People are really afraid of minecarts for some reason, they're not that bad.

Minecarts used to be crash bait, are they more robust now?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Using them to power quantum stockpiles doesn't require them to actually move at all so I'm sure that helps.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

*twinkie devouring noises*

Toady One posted:

I'd have hoped to finish up dwarfy prayer by now, but a few days ago I instead received an interesting cold that has settled in my chest for the time being. In any case, I was able to get back to meaningful work today and dwarves are praying to gods and meditating on fate and fortresses and so forth, satisfying their new spiritual needs (the intensities of spiritual needs are tied to the amount of devotion in the worship sentences you are already familiar with from their personality paragraphs). You can read about their topic of contemplation in their job entry as they go about their business in the temple.

Over the next few days I should finally be getting all of the new entertainment stuff working in fortress mode, including dancing and instrument-playing dwarves, instruments which have been waiting to be played for like... eight years or something.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Right now I'm more interested in seeing how dwarves react when their spirituality need isn't met. It also sounds like intensely devout dwarves might be more of a liability, either because they spend more time praying than working, react violently to lack of worship, or both/neither/something else entirely. I'd also like to know if spirituality can be satisfied by a temple that consists of a 1x1 room with a chair in it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I hope we can get sick miracles if a dwarf prays hard enough.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Randomly generated miracles with a bias for death and mayhem.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

"Your most devout dwarf has transformed into fortresses."

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

It'd be interesting if the mood system was tied into it. Have a dwarf that's an avid worshiper of a certain deity? Have a temple to that deity in your fortress and allow that dwarf plenty of time at it? Here's a bunch of really good fey moods for you. Have a dwarf who worships a different deity that you don't have a temple to/don't allow them to worship due to making them work all the time? Best watch out for those fell moods and possessions then.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can't wait for the DF2018 update with all of this included

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

I use them for all sorts of things, from quantum stockpiles to hauling stuff around to death traps, can't remember the last time my DF crashed on me.