Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Standing up is the only thing I miss about mid controls and big ADV pegs. It's the only thing that gets people's attention more than wildly swerving the bike around within your lane like you can't get it to go straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I do it when there's an unavoidable pothole

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtVIvmOPHOQ

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure someone knocked my bike over and picked it back up the other night. I just bought a new condo and it doesn't have off-street parking, so I have to leave my DRZ on the street. I went to run some errands yesterday and something felt off. Noticed my mirrors weren't positioned right, and my bars weren't quite straight.

Best guess is it got love tapped by someone that sucks at parallel parking.

At least it's not my old Harley, where that would be $1500 in damage. :(

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Digital_Jesus posted:

Standing up is a great way to suddenly and unexpectedly terrify every single person driving a car within viewing distance of you. I do it whenever people are driving around me like assholes and they almost always back off, slow down, or try to get away from me.

I think they just don't know what you're planning and have no idea that needing to stretch is a thing.

This, and then sometimes I swerve to the beat of whatever I'm listening to (within my own lane, of course). It really works to get rear end-riders off your rear end.

I stand up on my pegs occasionally; usually it's after I've leaned into a corner in a certain way, and the muscle in the back of my knee goes bananas.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

I do it when there's an unavoidable pothole

I do this all the loving time because the alternative is having my spine . The roads I ride on never really have pot-holes but they're usually so poorly finished that there's often a massive road-width step or ripple. Works for speed bumps too.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I love bouncing over speed bumps like an idiot lunatic.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I do this all the loving time because the alternative is having my spine . The roads I ride on never really have pot-holes but they're usually so poorly finished that there's often a massive road-width step or ripple. Works for speed bumps too.

Is having your spine what? Also I thought your alternative was taking a shortcut on pedestrian bridges and walkways to avoid the potholes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

captainOrbital posted:

I love bouncing over speed bumps like an idiot lunatic.

Word.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Got pulled over this morning for standing on my pegs while riding.

What annoys me most is that this is the second time that a cop has literally pulled a 180 in the middle of the road to change direction and pull me over on the bike. Though, in all fairness, last time was slightly more understandable as I was doing twice the posted speed limit

Thankfully he just let me off with a warning about how unsafe that kind of behavior is, though he made me late for work in the process :(

Does the cop ride a motorcycle? No? Then how the gently caress is he qualified to decide what is and isn't safe for us to do?:psyduck:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Word.

Does the cop ride a motorcycle? No? Then how the gently caress is he qualified to decide what is and isn't safe for us to do?:psyduck:

So as much as that isn't how laws work, I'm inclined to agree that a cop who rides wouldn't pull you over for that. Unless it's specifically against some law locally

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So as much as that isn't how laws work, I'm inclined to agree that a cop who rides wouldn't pull you over for that. Unless it's specifically against some law locally

Yeah, I get that laws don't work that way, but unless there is a specific ruling in the book against it the cop was using his judgement, which I feel should be questioned. Hell, if this is a law I would still question why it existed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coredump posted:

Is having your spine what? Also I thought your alternative was taking a shortcut on pedestrian bridges and walkways to avoid the potholes.

My spine crushed by my bikes' lovely suspensions*

Was too early in the morning and I was psyching myself up to wheelie past the police station again.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, I get that laws don't work that way, but unless there is a specific ruling in the book against it the cop was using his judgement, which I feel should be questioned. Hell, if this is a law I would still question why it existed.

'Straya mate

Australian Road Rules 2014 271.1 posted:

The rider of a motor bike that is moving (other than a rider who is walking beside and pushing a motor bike), or the rider of a motor bike that is stationary but not parked, must:
(a) sit astride the rider’s seat facing forwards, and
(b) if the motor bike is moving-keep at least 1 hand on the handlebars, and
(c) if the motor bike is moving-keep both feet on the footrests designed for use by the rider of the motor bike, unless the motor bike is moving at less than 10 kilometres per hour

That less than 10km/h exception was only recently added as well, used to be written that you had to have both feet on the pegs when the bike is moving at all.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ephphatha posted:

'Straya mate

That less than 10km/h exception was only recently added as well, used to be written that you had to have both feet on the pegs when the bike is moving at all.

Well poo poo. Your country is a lot less cool now.

But is that where OSU_MATTHEW is? I assumed he was an American in Ohio/Oregon/Oklahoma.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ephphatha posted:

'Straya mate

That is asinine as hell.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Ephphatha posted:

'Straya mate

Queensland being the exception. It's specifically legal here now. Added it in when they legalized splitting.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Yeah, but you lot can get arrested for riding in a group of three or more so I think we both get shafted. (The filtering laws in QLD are so much better than NSW though, really hoping they get adopted Australia wide).

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Chichevache posted:

Well poo poo. Your country is a lot less cool now.

But is that where OSU_MATTHEW is? I assumed he was an American in Ohio/Oregon/Oklahoma.

Nah, I'm in Ohio... Google tells me others have gotten tickets, but I can't see anything per-se in the code

:lol:

Ohio Law posted:

Handlebars may be no higher than the shoulders of the operator when seated.

Rant content: I wish it would quit thunderstorming here :argh:

sorry California

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Nah, I'm in Ohio... Google tells me others have gotten tickets, but I can't see anything per-se in the code

:lol:

Rant content: I wish it would quit thunderstorming here :argh:

sorry California

Well then you suffered from "really lovely cop on a power trip". At least you didn't get a ticket!

I stand on my pegs all the time here in California and I've never had a cop so much as look twice. On the other hand, I'm starting to get the impression that SoCal cops don't even bother trying to pull over motorcyclists. :shrug:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I spent most of my ride through Utah on my pegs. Gotta air out the junk somehow, and when it's 110 out, all the time.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I stand on my pegs all the time because I ride in the city mostly. It's nice to be able to see over traffic.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Chichevache posted:

Well then you suffered from "really lovely cop on a power trip". At least you didn't get a ticket!

I stand on my pegs all the time here in California and I've never had a cop so much as look twice. On the other hand, I'm starting to get the impression that SoCal cops don't even bother trying to pull over motorcyclists. :shrug:

CHP doesn't unless you're REALLY being a dong. Speeding above 90, splitting at high speed, etc. Local cops will pop you every loving chance they get.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

CHP doesn't unless you're REALLY being a dong. Speeding above 90, splitting at high speed, etc. Local cops will pop you every loving chance they get.

CHP essentially didn't exist from an enforcement perspective when I lived in San Diego a few years ago - I can literally count on one hand the times I've seen CHP stopped for something other than an accident south of the 76.

SDPD pulled me over for missing a plate while I was riding my new-to-me-scooter - the bike wasn't registered to me, and I had no insurance, but he let me go for some reason. Best luck ever.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Radbot posted:

CHP essentially didn't exist from an enforcement perspective when I lived in San Diego a few years ago - I can literally count on one hand the times I've seen CHP stopped for something other than an accident south of the 76.

SDPD pulled me over for missing a plate while I was riding my new-to-me-scooter - the bike wasn't registered to me, and I had no insurance, but he let me go for some reason. Best luck ever.

CHP never hassles me, I've been pulled three times by Oceanside PD. Once for speeding which he gave me a ticket for (i was in the middle of a block of cars, he picked me specifically for a six over ticket) and twice for stupid poo poo. One for display of acceleration, and one just to check my paperwork because the bike is registered in FL. Neither one was a ticket, but both made me late, and all three were on 76.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Did he actually say he pulled you over to check your papers, or was there some other pretense?

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
http://cfmoto-us.com/products/motorcycles/2015/650-nk

Here is your latest chinese garbage 650 to come on the market. Its the CFMOTO 650NK.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Minkee posted:

Here is your latest chinese garbage 650 to come on the market. Its the CFMOTO 650NK.

The motorcycle features "Ducati(TM) Fuel Injection". They're bragging about using Italian electrical components. :stare:

(Also doesn't Ducati use ECUs from Bosch/Siemens or Magneti Marelli? Why not mention that?)

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Minkee posted:

Oh boy I can't wait for people to start asking for parts for this thing.

:byodood: "I don't know it's chinese or something!"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Minkee posted:

:laffo: you know a bike sucks when 'has tires and a battery' is a selling point

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, they've tried to sell that thing here for a while.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Behold! The CF Moto 650NK, having the honour of being the first chinese made large displacement bike to be sold outside of China for a long time. Swedish Bike magazine took it for a spin.

But then again I guess you don't get it over there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chinja's been on sale here for years. I've never seen one in person so I assume nobody's been dumb enough to buy one new yet.

Google Translate posted:

First will lose all sight in mirrors before footpegs get your feet involuntary dance.

Seems accurate.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A Yuasa battery?! Why, that's the same brand every other manufacturer uses! We're in the big league now!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
They've been for sale here in Canada for a few years now too.

That lady loves her 650NK. LOVES IT.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 8, 2015

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Does she work for S.H.I.E.L.D.?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They get a plus for having her wear actual riding gear unlike basically everyone else.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

They get a plus for having her wear actual riding gear unlike basically everyone else.

Dressing her up like a prostitute isn't a marketing gimmick, on that motorcycle she's going to need to rely on people offering her a lift.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

That's as much "actual riding gear" as that's an actual motorcycle (and not a mishmash of lead and household waste).

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Radbot posted:

Did he actually say he pulled you over to check your papers, or was there some other pretense?

Yeah, he straight up said he pulled me to check license and registration. When I questioned it, he said it was due to a rash of recent bike thefts.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, he straight up said he pulled me to check license and registration. When I questioned it, he said it was due to a rash of recent bike thefts.

I got that once. Pulled over because he "couldn't see the plate clearly" and stolen bikes have plates that look like that. He said he was doing me a favor by pulling me over to check the registration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
3 of my riding bros have now taken delivery of R1200GSes. Ugh.

"Hey, I bet my engine is narrower than your 1150's! Let's measure them!"

:ughh: