Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Looks the racist trolls on Youtube might be your friendly local police officer, by the way.

http://filmingcops.com/officer-loses-it-online-openly-calls-for-the-extermination-of-black-people/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-legal-analyst-planting-weapons-on-victims-used-to-be-standard-operating-procedure/

Fantastic.

quote:

Fox legal analyst Arhtur Aidala told the Fox & Friends troika Wednesday morning that planting a weapon on a victim, as Officer Michael Slager is apparently seen to do to Walter Scott in a video released last night, used to be par for the course.

“When I was in the DA’s office in the 80s and 90s, that was standard operating procedures,” Aidala said. “Police officers — I hate to say this — would keep a second gun that nobody knew about on their ankle, so if they ever killed someone they shouldn’t have they would take that gun out –”

“That was before the iPhone and that would not be allowed,” co-host Brian Kilmeade quickly interjected

Check out the big brain on Bri!

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

I followed a couple of related links on that filming cops article and found this: Cop Burns the Body of a 3-yr-old Child for “Not Letting Him Sleep”

quote:

The toddler did not belong to Marrone but was left in his care.
The 3-yr-old was found with severe burns all over his body — including his genital area – sources say.
Cody Marrone was charged with aggravated child abuse and child neglect.
At first, Marrone claimed that the child “did it to himself.”

But after deeper investigation, it was determined that the burns were not accidental.
They were intentionally inflicted on the child over and over again as the child screamed and cried, reports say.
After the investigation, Marrone finally admitted to using the scorching hot end of the hairdryer to burn the child’s body.
He said that he did it “as punishment” because the child wouldn’t let him sleep, according to reports.
Marrone was held in jail but has since been released on bail.
Meanwhile, one can only imagine whether the child has been traumatized for life.

:stonk:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Yeah people have said that several times before and it is usually mocked in policethreads.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah people have said that several times before and it is usually mocked in policethreads.
I remember in one of Tokeii's (sp?) old threads him saying stuff like that was pretty much SOP when he was a cop. Although IIRC that was Chicago in the 60's.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I remember in one of Tokeii's (sp?) old threads him saying stuff like that was pretty much SOP when he was a cop. Although IIRC that was Chicago in the 60's.

Yep and people wonder why black people run from cops.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Thank god for the tempering influence of the Iphone

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
As someone who has been to prison themselves I just want to say that life in prison is the appropriate punishment for this officer. He will have a miserable existence- the rest of his life will be spent in Protective Custody with child molestors and gang dropouts. Even that situation isn't safe for a dirty cop but it is safer than putting him in mainline- that would literally be a rape, torture and death sentence. This is assuming the guy is convicted.

The death penalty is never an acceptable option, even in a case like this. The government should never have the power to put any citizen to death whether it's a judge with a sentencing order or a cop with a gun.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

the great deceiver posted:

As someone who has been to prison themselves I just want to say that life in prison is the appropriate punishment for this officer. He will have a miserable existence- the rest of his life will be spent in Protective Custody with child molestors and gang dropouts. Even that situation isn't safe for a dirty cop but it is safer than putting him in mainline- that would literally be a rape, torture and death sentence. This is assuming the guy is convicted.

The death penalty is never an acceptable option, even in a case like this. The government should never have the power to put any citizen to death whether it's a judge with a sentencing order or a cop with a gun.

I don't know that the US prison system is the appropriate punishment for anyone.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Zeitgueist posted:

I don't know that the US prison system is the appropriate punishment for anyone.

It's absolutely not.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Zeitgueist posted:

I was in prison with a lot of white collar fraudsters who stole innocent people's savings and they deserved everything they got. I get what you're saying though, the US prison system is beyond hosed but it's the only realistic option there is right now. If anybody deserves to experience it firsthand it's this upstanding lawman.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Life in prison is a death sentence

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'm hoping he gets like 15 years, then comes out a changed man, like becoming a civil rights activist or lobbying to reform the prison system. :unsmith:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

blunt for century posted:

I'm hoping he gets like 15 years, then comes out a changed man, like becoming a civil rights activist or lobbying to reform the prison system. :unsmith:

I want to know what will be done about in the other cops at the scene.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I want to know what will be done about in the other cops at the scene.

That's a good question. What are you referring to, specifically, though? Not rendering aid, but claiming to?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

That's a good question. What are you referring to, specifically, though? Not rendering aid, but claiming to?

Accessory after the fact by not reporting the staging of the scene by the shooter

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Bel Shazar posted:

Accessory after the fact by not reporting the staging of the scene by the shooter

Oh yeah. :smith:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think what's weird is the people not saying " If there were no video this man would have successfully murdered someone" in the news. Not " This guy got caught murdering someone".

Just find it weird.

If you ever want a fun read, look up the Federal Report on the NOPD.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I don't know if it is though. He dropped the taser there, but the other officer might not seen it at all. And a cop dropping things during the cleanup is not in itself fishy.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

If you ever want a fun read, look up the Federal Report on the NOPD.

Link?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mister Speaker posted:

Holy poo poo, that is clear as day. Thanks for that. I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said.

At the very beginning of the altercation, you it almost looks like Walter is knocking something out of the officer's hands as he begins to run away, and after the shooting the officer walks back to where he was standing originally to pick something up before coming back to the body and dropping the plant. The video isn't clear enough to make a conclusive judgment, but maybe Walker knocked the taser away before running.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Yup. Also, presumably this guy had a partner, who would have given a statement. Should there be conspiracy charges?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Not all police departments partner officers up. That's an old TV trope more than a real thing. Maybe it was truer in the past.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Here's the link to the Justice Department's investigation into New Orleans Police Department.

https://www.justice.gov/crt/about/spl/nopd.php

quote:

Investigation of the New Orleans Police Department

On May 15, 2010, we opened an investigation of the New Orleans Police Department (NOPD) pursuant to the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 and Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Following a comprehensive investigation, on March 17, 2011, we announced our findings. We found that the NOPD has engaged in patterns of misconduct that violate the Constitution and federal law, including a pattern or practice of excessive force, and of illegal stops, searches, and arrests. We found also a pattern or practice of gender discrimination in the Department's under-enforcement and under-investigation of violence against women. We further found strong indications of discriminatory policing based on racial, ethnic, and LGBT bias, as well as a failure to provide critical police services to language minority communities. On July 24, 2012, we reached a settlement resolving our investigation and asked the Court to make our settlement an order enforceable by the Court. On January 11, 2013, the Court approved the agreement.

The documents on this page provide more information about the investigation, the Justice Department's findings, settlement, and next steps.

Another thing to note is that the New Orleans Police Department is horribly understaffed.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/10/understaffed_nopd_receives_mor.html

Oh and the whole "Guess we won't investigate sex crimes" debacle

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/11/new_orleans_police_ignore_sex.html

Oh what's that? You didn't investigate in over 1100 sex crime related calls?

Oh did the place where you store evidence burn the gently caress down?

Fuccck I can't find the story, anyway it did.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 9, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bel Shazar posted:

I think they could claim ignorance, and might even be bona fide ignorant that he had planteddropped the tazer, especially some of the later officers that arrived.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Unless the murderer straight up said "I'm going to drop this taser here so it looks like he tried to take it from me", the other cop can claim ignorance and be totally clear. I know if I was in that situation I'd probably be totally loving confused why he dropped his taser and later be pretty loving pissed when I found out what his story was.

Drop weapons haven't been a thing for a while, probably a decade or so if the old-timers stories are accurate, and were kind of a joke trope when I was on, but this guy just basically invented )or confirmed, I guess), drop tasers, so go hold wild on that, Jesus.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

I think they could claim ignorance, and might even be bona fide ignorant that he had planteddropped the tazer, especially some of the later officers that arrived.

This isn't really true for the second officer on the scene. He's standing over the victim and watching during the whole process of Slager slowly walking to where the taser fell, grabbing it, slowly walking back to the victim, and planting it. If he backed Slager's story, and there's every reason to assume he did since that version wasn't questioned until the video dropped, he should be in a lot of trouble.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Grem posted:

Unless the murderer straight up said "I'm going to drop this taser here so it looks like he tried to take it from me", the other cop can claim ignorance and be totally clear. I know if I was in that situation I'd probably be totally loving confused why he dropped his taser and later be pretty loving pissed when I found out what his story was.

Maybe the only place he could think of to put it was in the middle of the scene of a homicide investigation.

Oh ha ha this was a police shooting! No need to treat this area like a crime scene! Or track the shooting in a database of any kind.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

That sounds like a worthy line of defense. I wish the prosecutors would allow them the chance to mount it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Is the police officer's report on the shooting public? The news is saying he filed his report BEFORE the video was out.

I'd like to see what he wrote before he knew anyone else had seen what he did.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
In a lot of jurisdictions the officer involved does not actually write "the report". The official report is written by the investigating agency, IA, or a supervisor, etc.

Edit. That is not to say the officer's statements, verbal or written, about what occured would not be a main portion of the final product. Just that officers don't investigate their own shooting and submit a report about it.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 9, 2015

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

No it's not though. It is still entirely possible to live a relatively fulfilling life behind bars. That's something the victim won't have a chance to do. In my experience, however, LWOP sentences are handed out way, way too liberally. I'm not a huge proponent of life without the chance sentences; as a matter of fact I tend to think they should be abolished entirely. I think that parole boards should have more authority and that life sentences should automatically become reviewable after a certain, realistic number of years. If there ever was a case that I think would deserve a LWOP sentence though it would probably be this one.

One thing that I learned from doing 3 years in prison is that there really are some people in there who don't deserve to live in society. The US has become so blinded by draconian sentencing laws and being tough on crime that many people who might deserve a second chance are locked away forever and we ultimately lose sight of what types of people truly do not deserve another shot at living in society.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
you're literally sentenced to die in prison so welp

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Voyager I posted:

At the very beginning of the altercation, you it almost looks like Walter is knocking something out of the officer's hands as he begins to run away, and after the shooting the officer walks back to where he was standing originally to pick something up before coming back to the body and dropping the plant. The video isn't clear enough to make a conclusive judgment, but maybe Walker knocked the taser away before running.

There is no good reason at all to move the taser back to the body of the person he just killed unless he needed to strengthen his reason for using deadly force. I don't doubt there was a fight of some sort, and Scott may have grabbed or slapped the taser out of the officer's hands but honestly none of that matters. Nothing that happened up to the shooting matters because there's a clear break in time between the confrontation and the actual shooting. At the time of the shooting there was no threat, even if a threat existed prior.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
A

the great deceiver posted:

No it's not though. It is still entirely possible to live a relatively fulfilling life behind bars. That's something the victim won't have a chance to do. In my experience, however, LWOP sentences are handed out way, way too liberally. I'm not a huge proponent of life without the chance sentences; as a matter of fact I tend to think they should be abolished entirely. I think that parole boards should have more authority and that life sentences should automatically become reviewable after a certain, realistic number of years. If there ever was a case that I think would deserve a LWOP sentence though it would probably be this one.

One thing that I learned from doing 3 years in prison is that there really are some people in there who don't deserve to live in society. The US has become so blinded by draconian sentencing laws and being tough on crime that many people who might deserve a second chance are locked away forever and we ultimately lose sight of what types of people truly do not deserve another shot at living in society.

A good post. Life sentence is what some people need, but it should be conditional, not absolute.

Life without parole is only routine in the US. Elsewhere there is always somekind of condition after certain years.

Like a norwegian judge said abou Breivik and his 22 years plus conditional years: "state of norway declares people adult at 18. 22 years is a good time to redo that process and evaluate its success on a yearly basis."

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

you're literally sentenced to die in prison so welp

There's a pretty huge difference between living the rest of your natural life in custody and actually having the state pull the trigger to take your life.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm surprised republican legislators have not campaigned for the Japanese system, where you spend each day for decades not knowing if the guards opening your cell door are there to bring you your lunch or frog-march you to the death chamber.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

I'm surprised republican legislators have not campaigned for the Japanese system, where you spend each day for decades not knowing if the guards opening your cell door are there to bring you your lunch or frog-march you to the death chamber.

Can't see that working in the US.
As everyone would be executed instantly to save costs therefore profits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

happyhippy posted:

Can't see that working in the US.
As everyone would be executed instantly to save costs therefore profits!
The prison lobby pushes to keep beds full.

• Locked thread