Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I couldn't stop thinking "Where the hell have I seen the actor that plays Willy before?" throughout the episode until it dawned on me - Cougar Town!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Britta's understanding of "hoisted by your own petard" was probably my favorite part. Keith David has been perfect throughout though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That loving telepresence robot is a real thing http://store.apple.com/us/product/HE494LL/A/double-telepresence-robot

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
That was the best episode of The Big Bang Theory I've ever seen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Irish Joe posted:

BBT actually did put Sheldon on a remote controlled iPad that looked pretty similar once, so yeah - It actually was a direct rip off of a Lorre show. Congrats Dan Harmon, you fuckin' hack!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

Sorry Irish Joe but you seem to be confused, this is the Community thread.

This thread is where you belong.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Android Blues posted:

For the way the show focuses so intently sometimes on the Dean's sexuality, it's a little odd that we've never seen him you know, actually with anyone.
Have you missed all those people in dalmatian costumes over the years. :v:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Zedd posted:

Have you missed all those people in dalmatian costumes over the years. :v:

I mean, they're pretty easy to spot.

zenless
Feb 13, 2005
I enjoyed the hell of the endless party. Let's take it from the top! Britta, do not play with powers you do not understand!
The main plot... ehhh.. Overall, 3 meow meow beans.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Seriously, Annie may be controlling but rules are necessary to keep Abed in a bottle.

I was impressed by how the prisoner arc shifted movie genres so effortlessly, culminating in a romance movie STOP THE WEDDING scene.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
That robot fight owned!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Guys...I hate it.

What was even the arc there? Prisoner tries to kill Jeff for...not being a very good teacher. Jeff doesn't like prisoner for this. Prisoner gets popular with the school and the Dean which Jeff also doesn't like. Then the stupid wedding parody thing? Prisoner story resolves with him not being a murderer despite weakly attempting to kill Jeff. And gently caress all the other prisoners at the end - no rehabilitation for them!

Any lessons learned? Jeff realises he should appreciate the Dean more? Is that it? Is Jeff still a bad teacher? Why include the critique on his teaching or the attempted murder if the plot boiled down to a stupid jealousy cliché?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Did Garett lose like 30 kg or what?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VagueRant posted:

Guys...I hate it.

Ditto. It honestly felt like a season 4 episode. There was no subtlety, no clever jokes, and a gross regression of Abed's character (as well as everybody else's, but Abed came off the worst). Harmon should have spent more of that sweet Yahoo money on good writers and less on cgi frisbees.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

VagueRant posted:

Guys...I hate it.

What was even the arc there? Prisoner tries to kill Jeff for...not being a very good teacher. Jeff doesn't like prisoner for this. Prisoner gets popular with the school and the Dean which Jeff also doesn't like. Then the stupid wedding parody thing? Prisoner story resolves with him not being a murderer despite weakly attempting to kill Jeff. And gently caress all the other prisoners at the end - no rehabilitation for them!

Any lessons learned? Jeff realises he should appreciate the Dean more? Is that it? Is Jeff still a bad teacher? Why include the critique on his teaching or the attempted murder if the plot boiled down to a stupid jealousy cliché?

This entire season has been pretty aimless and more importantly, jokeless.

Also, when did Annie get so intolerable?

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Irish Joe posted:

Ditto. It honestly felt like a season 4 episode. There was no subtlety, no clever jokes, and a gross regression of Abed's character (as well as everybody else's, but Abed came off the worst). Harmon should have spent more of that sweet Yahoo money on good writers and less on cgi frisbees.

Irish Joe correct as always. Bizarre season so far.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I miss Pierce, there, I said it. He was a jerk, but at least he reigned the group in and kept them on their toes.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Season 1 pierce was a great character. After that not so much.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I thought despite being weighted down by a pretty lovely and directionless main plot (and a not so great guest star performance), the episode was still enjoyable on balance. Seems like it could have benefited from the confines of a network broadcast slot, honestly. Like, cut out 95% of the classroom scenes that just do not work on any level and the episode is a lot better.

We get that people at the school think Jeff is cool, and that Jeff is intimidated by threats to his power. You don't need to have two minutes of the class laughing at him being a charming rear end in a top hat, and you don't need to have...whatever shift in dynamics they were trying to communicate with the prisoner there. If I had skipped from "Greendale agrees to take in these convicts" to the party scene where everyone loves the convicts except Jeff, the episode would have made more sense filling in the gaps on my own than the actual scenes did.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This might be overthinking it when the real problem is just that they ran out of good ideas and the concept got stale, but I feel like the problem with Community is that the show seems to assume a pretty high level of goodwill from the fans toward the show itself and all the characters. Rather than feeling the need to earn the audience's approval, it just seems to be content to coast on the audience being happy to simply exist in the world of Greendale. It was always an incredibly self-indulgent show (though the longer run-times probably don't help in that regard now either), but now it seems overly self-satisfied too.

Alternate theory: Harmon doesn't really give a poo poo about the show anymore, and it's just a job for him now, so I'm mistaking pandering to the hardcore fans as self-satisfaction. Or I'm personalizing it too much and it's just been on the air too long and experienced too many cast changes to really be the show it once was anymore.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I think every episode so far has been an entertaining, fantastic experience.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Takoluka posted:

I think every episode so far has been an entertaining, fantastic experience.

Ditto :shobon:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yesterday's was definitely the weakest of the season, but it was still fine. I'm not worried yet.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

CPColin posted:

Yesterday's was definitely the weakest of the season, but it was still fine. I'm not worried yet.

Yeah this is me. I still enjoyed it quite well, and one relatively weak episode is not nearly enough for me to say the season has turned to garbage.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sinteres posted:

This might be overthinking it when the real problem is just that they ran out of good ideas and the concept got stale, but I feel like the problem with Community is that the show seems to assume a pretty high level of goodwill from the fans toward the show itself and all the characters. Rather than feeling the need to earn the audience's approval, it just seems to be content to coast on the audience being happy to simply exist in the world of Greendale. It was always an incredibly self-indulgent show (though the longer run-times probably don't help in that regard now either), but now it seems overly self-satisfied too.

Alternate theory: Harmon doesn't really give a poo poo about the show anymore, and it's just a job for him now, so I'm mistaking pandering to the hardcore fans as self-satisfaction. Or I'm personalizing it too much and it's just been on the air too long and experienced too many cast changes to really be the show it once was anymore.

I feel this, the first paragraph at least. I feel the show's main weakness is that it often doesn't put in the work in a given episode to make you care about the emotional stakes, it just assumes you will.

I mean, some of this season has been great so I'm not necessarily super down on it either. It's just had a few misses for me as well as the hits.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Loved this episode. That prison plot was great. Community's really back to form.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

The episode managed only one laugh out of me but I thought it was still definitely watchable.

I feel like this season so far has been more... consistent, in a way. Community's generally been full of highs and 'why am I watching this' lows. I haven't registered as many lows so far.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Android Blues posted:

I feel this, the first paragraph at least. I feel the show's main weakness is that it often doesn't put in the work in a given episode to make you care about the emotional stakes, it just assumes you will.

I mean, some of this season has been great so I'm not necessarily super down on it either. It's just had a few misses for me as well as the hits.

I was obviously focusing on the negatives, but I really don't hate the show. It was my favorite comedy on tv in the second season, and even now I still enjoy parts of it. For example, Chang playing Mr. Miyagi was fantastic. I just think it's undeniable that it's a far worse show than it once was, and I'm curious about why that is.

Aside from conjecture about the motivations behind why the writers may or may not have checked out or grown complacent, I think part of the problem stems from the characters fully buying into the idea that Greendale's a great place where they'd like to stay and experience the ~~healing power of friendship~~. Once they graduated I guess there wasn't any way to keep them around unless they did buy into Greendale as a concept, but it really seems weird that it's presented as a good thing that the characters have willingly made it the center of their lives rather than moving on. Parks and Rec had a similar problem with Leslie and Pawnee, but even that sunshine and happiness show eventually managed to show that she needed to move on from there. Maybe it's like the Britta thing with her parents, where if Harmon was asked about it he'd say we shouldn't assume they're making the right decision, I don't know.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CPColin posted:

Same. B plot was more interesting than the A plot since the A plot was a bunch of sitcom plots mashed together and then given a Community paint job

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I enjoy the television program Community.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Brawnfire posted:

I enjoy the television program Community.

mods?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
This is the only episode so far that's felt like the extra length hampered it rather than helped it. Trim 5 minutes and give the script another polish and it'd be fine. It was still alright, though.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I enjoyed the janitor joining with the Abeds in calling for Eradication. Pretty low-key episode; I thought it was good.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Is nobody else going to mention how there was a scene with "Troy"?

I miss Troy...

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

umalt posted:

Is nobody else going to mention how there was a scene with "Troy"?

I miss Troy...

It would have been hilarious if they got Donald Glover to come back for a cameo and that was all there was to it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Rochallor posted:

It would have been hilarious if they got Donald Glover to come back for a cameo and that was all there was to it.

In an interview, they could ask why he didn't do more in the episode, and he simply says, "I'm getting too old for this poo poo."

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I enjoyed the janitor joining with the Abeds in calling for Eradication. Pretty low-key episode; I thought it was good.

Even better was that the janitor was played by the real-life Abed that inspired the character.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
I think the idea that being 'stuck' somewhere, learning to love and accept it while there, and then expending your energy to fix what's in your control is a beautiful and wholly relate-able premise. I just don't think community season 6 and (by in large) 5 have executed on that very well, probably because of all the crap that led to them never knowing how long the series would run. The main plot of the show has pretty much ground to a halt. One of the worst parts of the revamp is how half-assed and uninteresting getting them back to the school was, like Shirley's reason being a complete tragedy that was hardly addressed. I wonder if the Andre arc was meant to stretch until the end of the series, and since they thought season 3 would be the end, they hurried the redemption. Even if that's not exactly the case, most of the character arcs have become so stagnant there's little to tune in for besides neat ideas and jokes. The other problem is the jokes (for me) aren't nearly as consistent as the first 3 seasons. I think the plots (plot devises?) have been good to great (really liked the VR one, for instance) but in TOP SHELF Community episodes the plot, jokes and characters are interwoven wonderfully. A bunch of the recent episodes are flailing in more than one category which produces some reasonably unfavorable reviews.

Having said that it's still watchable and I look forward to Tuesday's. That's certainly enough for me!

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

midnightclimax posted:

any episodes that are especially good?

The No Holds Barred is a classic.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/no-holds-barred-live/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wYs-0EO0ts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

bowser posted:

I couldn't stop thinking "Where the hell have I seen the actor that plays Willy before?" throughout the episode until it dawned on me - Cougar Town!

And he was only on-screen via tele-presence in their last episode too. He's cornering the market of iPad acting.

• Locked thread