Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

IWS is great but I wish it would scale the spawns with level. My guns character managed to deal with the massive early game spawns, but it was impossible to do much with my new unarmed character. I've turned it off for now, I'll put it back on later when I've got better armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Running into a frickin' Alien is really, really fuckin' stupid. Worse than Mothership Zeta stupid.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Bogart posted:

Running into a frickin' Alien is really, really fuckin' stupid. Worse than Mothership Zeta stupid.

Pretend they're Wanamingos? :v:

More seriously though, I'd never even consider trying Monster Mod.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've used Monster Mod a lot. You can make it better by downloading a lore-friendly version and then using the Rebalanced Leveled Lists to stop the game from throwing level 20 monsters at you right out the door. Turns out the modder was either assuming everyone was as masochistic as him or a total moron because he set all monsters to spawn on all leveled lists and also overwrote many vanilla spawns with his own stuff, causing the game to be flooded with high level creatures right outside Doc Mitchell's house.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Nah, I don't even think that's a "petty immersion" thing. That's legitimately hokey. Admittedly, I'm not even a huge fan of enemies that are recognizable from other games, like the STALKER creatures.

They at least tried with the Snork, turning it into the "feral merc"; a trivial enemy. The tentacle-face thingy does show up out of the blue, though, and the one thing that spawns on the "ghoul" list, "The undead", which is a green skeleton with some flesh still on, strains credulity, although not too much when you consider that the skeletons inside the Trauma Override harnesses still fire their weapons even though no flesh remains on their hands... I don't think I've encountered T-800s or Xenomorphs, I remember something about having to activate those separately if you wanted "more challenge" Heh.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I want to make Fallout as pretty looking as possible with a new overclocked/superpowered gaming rig I've put together. Is the guide at the bottom of the second post up to date and still relevant?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
http://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas

I think this is the most up to date list of graphics and texture enhancements you're gonna find, unless I'm wrong/misinformed/insane of course. Just go down the list and cherry pick what you want. Mind you, I'm new to the modding thing.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Klaus88 posted:

I think this is the most up to date list of graphics and texture enhancements you're gonna find, unless I'm wrong/misinformed/insane of course. Just go down the list and cherry pick what you want. Mind you, I'm new to the modding thing.

Add that with most of the poo poo from this guy. Taurus' stuff should be the kind of stuff added to the OP. Most of his mods are great stuff and most importantly he covered the retexturing of most of the guns Millenia didn't want to do. He also retextured a lot of the vanilla enemies too.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The mod that adds playable/NPC Predators and hostile Aliens in Skyrim kinda owns though.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Light Gun Man posted:

The mod that adds playable/NPC Predators and hostile Aliens in Skyrim kinda owns though.

You mean The Lost Tribes? Gonna have to get that once I get a PC that can play Skyrim in the first place.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

VolticSurge posted:

You mean The Lost Tribes? Gonna have to get that once I get a PC that can play Skyrim in the first place.

Yeah. It is not really super balanced though if that bothers you. Some of the predator gear is hilariously broken in your favor and the aliens are hard as gently caress to kill early on. It also adds like 5000 different combinations of predator mask to your smithing menu which gets a bit annoying. Otherwise though, it's cool and well made. There's hostile camps of predators on the map here and there, and at least one non-hostile community you can trade with and get a follower predator too. You can turn a xenomorph head into a shield, it's rad.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Klaus88 posted:

Yeah that's the link that's currently in the OP.

Naky posted:

Add that with most of the poo poo from this guy. Taurus' stuff should be the kind of stuff added to the OP. Most of his mods are great stuff and most importantly he covered the retexturing of most of the guns Millenia didn't want to do. He also retextured a lot of the vanilla enemies too.

Yeah I've got his IHWT mod on the list, since it's big and comprehensive. Unfortunately, since the OP is already at character capacity and is overwhelming for a lot of people, I'm a little leery of finding ways to fit "one off" mods that add single things, like his flamer and Ripley uniform. Would you recommend his Super Mutant / Robot retextures?

EDIT: Also, I fixed a couple of broken links/HTML code in the OP including, coincidentally, the IHWT and graphics guide links.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The robot textures are good but he gave the securitrons white arms and the dirt on their wheels is too orange so he has to die. All the other robots look cool so I just install Improved Robot Textures and then a securitron retexture over that.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Red_October_7000 posted:

They at least tried with the Snork, turning it into the "feral merc"; a trivial enemy. The tentacle-face thingy does show up out of the blue, though, and the one thing that spawns on the "ghoul" list, "The undead", which is a green skeleton with some flesh still on, strains credulity, although not too much when you consider that the skeletons inside the Trauma Override harnesses still fire their weapons even though no flesh remains on their hands...

The skeletons aren't pulling the trigger, the suit is.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I just realized this thread is four years old. :stare:

Man, SA is probably the only online community where the op is expected to last for an American election cycle.

Anyway, for content related to New Vegas modding, like almost everyone else in this thread I've played beyond boulder dome and I can safely say, gently caress it. gently caress it so very much. Everything related to non-violent interaction with normal ghouls was OK, but everything else was just plain bad.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Perhaps now you can pull the trigger on Project Brazil?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Playing around with the GECK + textures + model properties and long story short, I invented Radmutts.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

speaking of quality retextures, a bunch of em just came out on the f3 nexus for the main overlooked weapons (and also laser rifle/pistol) in 'em.
the covered weapons are the .32 revolver, the assault rifle and the chinese assault rifle.

look: it's a chinese assault rifle that finally doesn't look like a fuzzy mess!

there's also emeraldreign's "fallout 3 hirezed" pack that has some incredible looking textures for some weapons and explosives

i think the heavy weapon stuff in there looks way better than similar mods

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Since a bunch of those guns are in the New Vegas files, with the same names even, presumably I could replace the default textures with those hi-res ones and the mod that puts the unused F3 weapons back in the game would put them back in with the new glorious textures? That seems like it would work fine to me, but then I'm a technical incompetent so it's worth asking to make sure I wouldn't destroy my game somehow by doing that.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Since a bunch of those guns are in the New Vegas files, with the same names even, presumably I could replace the default textures with those hi-res ones and the mod that puts the unused F3 weapons back in the game would put them back in with the new glorious textures? That seems like it would work fine to me, but then I'm a technical incompetent so it's worth asking to make sure I wouldn't destroy my game somehow by doing that.

I would try it out, it cannot cause any major damage. It might cause the guns to look ugly or it might not do anything at all, but it will not destroy your game.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Fereydun posted:

speaking of quality retextures, a bunch of em just came out on the f3 nexus for the main overlooked weapons (and also laser rifle/pistol) in 'em.
the covered weapons are the .32 revolver, the assault rifle and the chinese assault rifle.

there's also emeraldreign's "fallout 3 hirezed" pack that has some incredible looking textures for some weapons and explosives

They look absolutely fantastic but why did he release them all as separate downloads? pain in the rear end, not sure it would be worth it for weapons I literally never use.
----

Really happy with how these critters are working, it's fun as hell when dicking around in the Geck succeeds. The Radmutts have a radioactive bite attack, it's brutal when you have a whole pack nipping at you. I made some glow-in-the-dark scorpions too and tied the radioactive burst to their sting attack, but they only do it once or twice per fight for some reason, unlike the dogs. I'll either handplace them in logical places or make some new little areas in unused spots on the map.

e:

What I haven't managed to work out is how to give scorpions the bloatfly's ranged dart effect... though come to think of it a bloatfly that spits acid like the centaur might be worth trying.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 10, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Fereydun posted:

Can you link that pack?

Also I think the hirezed stuff is just upscaled and sharpened textures, I might be wrong but that has been around for a while now (since FO3 launch I think.)

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Gyshall posted:

Can you link that pack?

Also I think the hirezed stuff is just upscaled and sharpened textures, I might be wrong but that has been around for a while now (since FO3 launch I think.)
you might be thinking of a different pack- emeraldreign's stuff is real nice looking.
here's the hirezed stuff by him:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/19931/

and here's the profile of the dude with the other f3 weapons (they're all separate releases so it's easier to link that)
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/users/15092334/?tb=mods&pUp=1

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

I learned about a neat little thing called heap replacement and my FPS has improved by an exponential amount, almost to fallout 3 levels even. :shepface:.

Anyway I've plugged in IWS and turned on active spawns in order to advantage of my new and improved performance and I'm planning on walking from goodsprings to Vegas. How many assholes can I expect to encounter on the way?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

I learned about a neat little thing called heap replacement and my FPS has improved by an exponential amount, almost to fallout 3 levels even. :shepface:.

Anyway I've plugged in IWS and turned on active spawns in order to advantage of my new and improved performance and I'm planning on walking from goodsprings to Vegas. How many assholes can I expect to encounter on the way?

Active spawns is a little bit ridiculous. You'll leave a cave and then you'll watch 3-5 guys just spawn out of completely nowhere and start mobbing you. I had to turn it off after I was playing through Honest Hearts and every time I left a cave 5 giant cazadores would spawn.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Klaus88 posted:

I agree with turning off active spawning, its not a performance thing its a makes the game kinda suck thing. Just jack up all the other settings, especially the ones involving faction spawns. Then you can get some cool infighting going on. Also you cant drop a bomb about an FPS fix and just not say anything else about it. I saw all the stuff about heap replacement in the EssArrBee instructions, but since I didn't know what the gently caress any of it meant I kinda just moved on with my life. Can you summarize what you did for us dummies? Google is giving me a lot of stuff about hip replacements.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 12, 2015

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Good god is the Geck a weird hosed up stupid thing. I've been seeing how feasible it is to recreate a section of Route 66 south of Searchlight, since it follows modern Route 40. Also would be fun to recreate Cal-Nev-Ari as some bizarre settlement in the middle of nowhere.

It's going OK, though terrain manipulation and working with short segments of road is really finicky, and poo poo doesn't look in-game quite like it does in Geck. And with object manipulation in a scene, it's a toss-up whether scrolling with your mouse wheel makes a value jump by several units or tick by painfully slowly.

The worst though is it insists on this weird LOD generation in-game that's not visible in the editor, so big sections of my road and the other models I placed are covered up with big ugly blotchy lumps and I don't see any way to turn those off or delete them.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I believe you may have to regenerate the LOD files to correct it but I could be wrong.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I agree with turning off active spawning, its not a performance thing its a makes the game kinda suck thing. Just jack up all the other settings, especially the ones involving faction spawns. Then you can get some cool infighting going on. Also you cant drop a bomb about an FPS fix and just not say anything else about it. I saw all the stuff about heap replacement in the EssArrBee instructions, but since I didn't know what the gently caress any of it meant I kinda just moved on with my life. Can you summarize what you did for us dummies? Google is giving me a lot of stuff about hip replacements.

Before you can do anything you need this mod http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34832/ and NVSE but I'll assume you have that.

Pretty much I just went into \Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Data\nvse\plugins, opened up my sr_New_Vegas_Stutter_Remover (The doc that's not the readme, by the by) and changed bReplaceHeap = from 0 to 1.

There's also a section further down where you can set how the heap replacement to various different values but I just left it on the default because :effort: basically.

I did try the heap value on 6 but then fallout NV wouldn't start, so do be careful.

Klaus88 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 12, 2015

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Hopefully someone with some knowledge of Blender/creating armors can help me. I was using blender to combine the Reinforced Chinese Stealth Armor, and a Courier Coat in order to reduce clipping. once I get everything exported out of blender, and I pick the model in the geck it looks pretty messed up, with some meshes appearing, but most nowhere in sight. In game when I equip them all areas except for head an hands are invisible, and an untextured mesh of the armor is hovering at an angle nearby (it also occasionally disapears). I even imported and exported a armor I didn't modify at all with blender, and got the same results.

Anyone know wtf I did wrong?

edit: oh yeah, the armor looks perfect in nifskope.

Slowpoke Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 13, 2015

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
It's been ages since I've actually exported armour - and I use 3dsmax rather than Blender anyway - but the usual starting point is to open two copies of Nifskope side-by-side and to compare your nif with one that you know works, to look for obvious differences.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Is it like hats where you have to open it in NVEdit and check some "head" flag? Without that hats have the same issue, they're rotated 90 degrees to the side.

e:

Naky posted:

I believe you may have to regenerate the LOD files to correct it but I could be wrong.

Sounds like it would be easier to just create a new worldspace, which is what I ended up doing.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Saint Sputnik posted:

Sounds like it would be easier to just create a new worldspace, which is what I ended up doing.

based on the few mods I've seen which even attempted to add new outdoor environments, you're right.

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

Hopefully someone with some knowledge of Blender/creating armors can help me. I was using blender to combine the Reinforced Chinese Stealth Armor, and a Courier Coat in order to reduce clipping. once I get everything exported out of blender, and I pick the model in the geck it looks pretty messed up, with some meshes appearing, but most nowhere in sight. In game when I equip them all areas except for head an hands are invisible, and an untextured mesh of the armor is hovering at an angle nearby (it also occasionally disapears). I even imported and exported a armor I didn't modify at all with blender, and got the same results.

Anyone know wtf I did wrong?

...might be a skeleton error? Are you exporting like this: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Creating_an_armour_for_Fallout._Part_2#Export_the_armour

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Has anyone actually run CCO w/ jsawyer.esp? It's technically compatible, but I'm worried stuff like CCO not taking into account jsawyer already adding DR to armor (CCO does this independently itself) will make for a poor experience.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Rinkles posted:

Has anyone actually run CCO w/ jsawyer.esp? It's technically compatible, but I'm worried stuff like CCO not taking into account jsawyer already adding DR to armor (CCO does this independently itself) will make for a poor experience.

The CCO readme literally says these two will work without issue, and they do. You'll have two items in your apparel tab to calibrate if need be as well.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The great thing about active spawns is coupling it with Momod interior monsters. I walked into Wolfhorn Ranch house and watched the creeper spawn a dozen ghouls around itself.

:gibs:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

I think it might be IWS, something with interior spawning, that kept doing ridiculous poo poo like spawning an enormous ant or a robobrain inside the Goodsprings saloon so I had to turn that part off.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Could someone explain which armory plugins are which and what exactly they do?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gyshall posted:

The CCO readme literally says these two will work without issue, and they do. You'll have two items in your apparel tab to calibrate if need be as well.

The fact that there won't be any technical issues doesn't mean the two combined actually make for a good experience. Neither is balanced with the other in mind. I just wanted a first hand account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rinkles posted:

The fact that there won't be any technical issues doesn't mean the two combined actually make for a good experience. Neither is balanced with the other in mind. I just wanted a first hand account.

I've used JSawyer with CCO for two years now and I think they go together great.