Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The easiest distinguishing factor is the lightning in the aura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Maybe at some point between the series and Battle of the Gods Dende reworked Shenron so that he'd only grant three wishes to Goku and Co. Sort of like frequent-flier miles.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Your autocorrect has a higher power level than you do :v:

Also I wish Toriyama remembered what the Dragon Balls did. The two canon movies have both broken the rules. Shenlong can grant three wishes after Dende takes over, yet, both Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' have reset that to one for not explained reasons. Furthermore, the one-year revival rule is gone as well, otherwise Resurrection 'F' wouldn't happen at all. But then again, Gohan's using Super Saiyan again. Toriyama really cannot be arsed to remember his own series.

He grants two in Resurrection F Shu wishes for 1 million Zeni after Frezia is revived

And I'm still 90% sure that he's only ever to be able to do two after Dende messed with him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Pureauthor posted:

The easiest distinguishing factor is the lightning in the aura.

Lightning and all their hair is up except for a single strand that falls down.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Your autocorrect has a higher power level than you do :v:

Also I wish Toriyama remembered what the Dragon Balls did. The two canon movies have both broken the rules. Shenlong can grant three wishes after Dende takes over, yet, both Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' have reset that to one for not explained reasons. Furthermore, the one-year revival rule is gone as well, otherwise Resurrection 'F' wouldn't happen at all. But then again, Gohan's using Super Saiyan again. Toriyama really cannot be arsed to remember his own series.

The one-year rule only ever applied to wishing an extremely large amount of people back to life. And while Shenron can grant three wishes after the Buu Saga it depends on the wishes themselves, Yamcha wishing back the people Majin Vegeta killed used up so much power that Shenron could only grant one more wish afterwards.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Kudos to Toriyama for the wish energy idea. It does a good job of allowing for multi-wishing while keeping a way to stop that when the story needs it to.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

MonsterEnvy posted:

I just felt this should be linked here after I saw it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqhO-ciBO0Y

I remember when this first aired. The next day on PNMB was insane. People were freaking.

Also it's so weird to see GeneralIvan and Antfish get pro roles. They're talented, but they were also big trolls on amateur voice acting websites I used to visit and made little kids cry.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Little Mac posted:

I remember when this first aired. The next day on PNMB was insane. People were freaking.

What is the PNMB?

Little Mac posted:

Also it's so weird to see GeneralIvan and Antfish get pro roles. They're talented, but they were also big trolls on amateur voice acting websites I used to visit and made little kids cry.

Wait, what?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Covok posted:

What is the PNMB?

Wait, what?

Planet Namek Message Board. God that takes me back. Got my first ever banning there at the tender age of 10 for calling someone a useless idiot for thinking Superman could beat Goku. At least I think it happened that way.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Holy poo poo you were on PNMB too?!

PNMB led me to SA. Oh, the halcyon days of youth...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Planet Namek was great stuff. Kaio's Korner was great stuff. To this stuff I remember his article on Dragonball AF and Goku's Super Saiyan Arbuckle mode.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
PNMB introduced me to my first dumb forums in-joke, which was "do u leik dbz?"

Oh I miss it so.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I just assumed everyone here posted on either PNMB or Bid For Power's forum.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I remember Planet Namek. I remember someone getting really pissed at me for saying that none of the human fighters had surpassed Freeza by the Android Arc. Someone had tried to argue that Tien, Krillin, etc. were all on the level of Super Saiyan or something like that, and I was like "Nah", and they flipped out on me. We both got warned by a mod to knock it off.

I also remember there was this girl who was obsessed with Freeza, called herself "FreezaGirl" or something like that. Also there was some guy whose username was The Two-Headed Goat. Fun times.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I never heard of this planet namek. I went to a different, nerdy Dragonball themed forum when I was 10 back in the day. Actually, two. PN sounds...no different than the ones I went to.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Onmi posted:

Well LK is getting some legit rolls now, he recently did some work for Bladestorm: Nightmare, and just small roles in general. So as far as I can tell that's him, Taka and Ivan (Who's playing Gecko Moria) who've made the jump.

Ivan as Gecko Moria is fantastic in case anyone was curious. I cannot think of a better fit for the voice and he just blows the Japanese equivalent out of the water.

Considering how good his work with Cooler and Dr Gero was, it only makes sense he would excel in an actual official role.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I never went to any Dragonball forums.

I did find some sick Angelfire and Yahoo pages with awesome gifs that I threw all over my desktop background though.

I think they were sprites ripped from games?

I miss the ability to use animated gifs as wallpaper. Sure, it slows your computer down so loving much but the manchild in me approves.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I never went to any Dragonball forums.

Same. Basically stopped caring entirely after Dragon Ball finished. Then DBZA happened and Battle of the Gods was announced and those reminded me that it's pretty awesome.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
I used to spend hours a day on Planet Namek just re-reading the same old saga synopsis' over and over. I also used Temple o' Trunks a lot to. Discovered AMVs through them

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I remember the dbz fan sites having a huge shitflinging thing about stealing eachothers contents.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tarodia posted:

I used to spend hours a day on Planet Namek just re-reading the same old saga synopsis' over and over. I also used Temple o' Trunks a lot to. Discovered AMVs through them

Temple o' Trunks gave the world Bubba Trunks, and that's ok by me

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Same. Basically stopped caring entirely after Dragon Ball finished. Then DBZA happened and Battle of the Gods was announced and those reminded me that it's pretty awesome.

I stopped caring about Dragonball in elementary school in lieu of Spider-man, who I thought was cooler. Then it became a thing again when I was in 5th ~ 6th grade so I reread the whole series.

Never saw most of the anime. I watched bits and pieces of the American dub (don't remember which, but it was on Cartoon Network if I recall) and VHS Korean subs when I could find them (not easy while living in California, got a lot easier once I moved back to Korea). The last VHS I saw was right before the Trunks and Freeza fight, much to my frustration cause Trunks was the coolest.

Then I saw a few episodes of GT also on VHS. Had no idea what it was about cause I only saw the final fight against Baby and SSJ4 Gogeta.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If a werewolf bites a Saiyan, do they still turn into a giant monkey?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

YggiDee posted:

If a werewolf bites a Saiyan, do they still turn into a giant monkey?

Silly YggiDee, animals don't eat people!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I just think that with how often tails grow back, it might he an easier solution than constantly blowing up the moon

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I never went to dbz forums but I would save all the animated gifs from the geocities fan sites in word documents and stuff

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I had a Dragon Ball fansite and a crappy fan manga about it in the 90s. Thankfully, I can't track down any of that stuff on the wayback machine any more because it's drat embarassing.

Back then the Dragon Ball site owners used to chat on IRC, and I got some pretty cool friends out of the deal; who have all mostly moved on, but many still get excited when a new movie comes out (you can't help it)!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Here's the first full image of Goku's new form:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...f0FqQuoi6czs.01

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Disappointed that the link wasn't goatse.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xibanya posted:

Disappointed that the link wasn't goatse.

I'm at work right now, so you unfortunately got a real link!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Huh...that actually looks way better than I anticipated. The toys made the blue look way darker and more vivid than the actual form.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i dont rly like it :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Actually, I just realized that it strongly resembles Broly's Super Saiyan form (not the full beefcake Legendary form).

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

oh okay i sort of get it after reading that little article. the aesthetic also isnt too bad, but that pic in the bottom left corner is horrible.

i guess now its like

base form -> super sayain god (red hair) -> super sayain god super sayain (blue hair)

that s the path that him and vegeta are on now?

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS
Not trying to poo poo on any parades here but I am really really hoping for a name that sounds less dumb than "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was holding out for Maximum Oversaiyan myself.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Or Super Kami Guru Saiyan.

Actually, that would make makes somewhat sense.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Captain Q posted:

Not trying to poo poo on any parades here but I am really really hoping for a name that sounds less dumb than "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan."

Ascended Full Power Phase 2 Super Saiyan God?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Captain Q posted:

I love it and I hope the next movie they just start saying SUPER SAIYAN SUPER SAIYAN SUPER SAIYAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think the blue SSJG2 or whatever looks fine. If you are massively against power creep and Goku ascending to even higher, more ridiculous levels what are you doing watching DBZ?

Like, it shouldn't take you this long to realize that Dragon Ball is really dumb. Just roll with it.

• Locked thread