Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Uranium Phoenix posted:

There's a difference between trolling and ridiculing a bunch of posters for arm-chair reformism where they try and base national education policy on their individual experiences based on literally no research. Now, if you want, you can actually try and back up your moronic claims that we should ditch PE on a national level because you had a bad teacher once or remove English classes in every school across the country because you didn't like some books you were taught and perhaps present some research. Or, as you seem to prefer, you can go back to posting variations of "u mad?" Up to you.

Here's a brief on a Cornell study about the current trend in states increasing PE to fight obesity

"As childhood obesity has increased, many states are increasing their physical education (PE) requirements. Yet, increasing time spent in gym class does not appear to increase overall physical activity or prevent childhood obesity, according to a new Cornell study."

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2006/08/more-time-gym-class-doesnt-mean-more-exercise-study-finds

If you have access to academic journals - the info for the full study is at the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

site posted:

I reeeeealy want to make fun of you some more but this is uspol not chatthread so I'll just say that maybe you shouldn't take things literally all the time. It's called "hyperbole", look it up.
Are you denying that people are prescribing solutions to perceived problems in the education system based on their person experiences in this thread? Or are you just backing away from the dumb poo poo you said earlier and going with "lol i ws joking"?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

All PE classes now consist only of biathlon.

This makes more sense than replacing government with gunslinging.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bobby Digital posted:

All PE classes now consist only of biathlon.

All 9th graders must survive the Badwater run to advance.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Are you denying that people are prescribing solutions to perceived problems in the education system based on their person experiences in this thread? Or are you just backing away from the dumb poo poo you said earlier and going with "lol i ws joking"?
Amazingly, you can do both at the same time.

Why do you care so much about pe and English lit?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Uranium Phoenix posted:

he did advanced puppeteering in highschool

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

awesmoe posted:

he did advanced puppeteering in highschool
And it paid off apparently lol

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Karnegal posted:

Here's a brief on a Cornell study about the current trend in states increasing PE to fight obesity

"As childhood obesity has increased, many states are increasing their physical education (PE) requirements. Yet, increasing time spent in gym class does not appear to increase overall physical activity or prevent childhood obesity, according to a new Cornell study."

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2006/08/more-time-gym-class-doesnt-mean-more-exercise-study-finds

If you have access to academic journals - the info for the full study is at the bottom.

Thanks.

Childhood obesity is indeed a problem, and PE alone is not the solution to it. Nutrition education should absolutely be incorporated into the school systems. However, as the authors of The Spirit Level point out, inequality and poverty are huge predictors for obesity and therefore the epidemic is the result of a systemic problem. The food industry's shift to extremely high sugar foods and processed foods are undoubtedly part of this problem, and while, again, nutrition education can help combat this, it is not a problem solely to be solved in the education system. However, we're talking about the education system, so let's focus on that.

At the elementary level, PE and recess are absolutely critical classes for children. Play in general is extremely important for children, and extremely problematic when it's cut. (You'll also note that reduction of play time is not just happening at schools; again, there are plenty of problems to be solved outside of schools). PE, when done properly, not only offers exercise, but goal setting, stress reduction, discipline, life long exercise habits, fine and gross motor skills, and improvements in academics. The research is absolutely clear on the importance of play, but given the background and poor socialization (or poverty) of a lot of students, structured play, guided by a knowledgeable adult (say, in a PE class) can be critical.

Also, PE is indeed useful in combating obesity, as exercise can inhibit overeating (study) and reduce stress, weight, and a number of other problems (CDC report).

The study you linked suggests to me that extending PE classes isn't a solution, but cutting the class entirely certainly isn't a solution either given the numerous proven benefits to health. Indeed, there are legitimate avenues for reform we need to take. Here, the author notes that (like in the study you linked) quantity of exercise is often less important than quality, and skill development, socialization, and enjoyment are all important components of a good PE class. I can't access the full study you linked, but I would guess that the "okay, *more* PE" decision on a state level was made by people who don't know a lot of the research I linked, highlighting the importance that experts craft classes and reform based on research, not the knee-jerk reactions of idiot legislatures or uninformed administrators, as it usually is. This need for exercise and socialization doesn't just disappear after elementary school. If your position is that we need to reform PE classes, I agree. If your position is we need to remove them, the weight of evidence is against you.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Nutrition and actual exercise education would go a long way further than forcing kids to play kickball and to walk/trot around a track. I hated PE and was out of shape as a kid. Only well after high school did I discover I enjoyed working out and tracking my gains.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

MIGF is right about the"corporate America wants you to be lifeless drones." Corporations are run by people, and if you think those individuals have any goals other than making boatloads of money, you are really conspiratorial. It also attributes a level of agency to a corporation that really isn't there.

Regarding education policy, none of these ideas are on the table nationally, and if you think having to read literature in a literature class is bad or that firearms education is necessary, well, I'm not sure what to say to you. Anecdotal evidence about your high school experience or what you think is needed is similar to saying climate change didn't exist because it snowed. There are research professionals who spend careers trying to figure out what education methods and systems are best. We should trust their research.

Oh, and pe was also just social and energy exertion hour too. That has its own benefits. And some teachers just suck y'all.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tender Bender posted:

Nutrition and actual exercise education would go a long way further than forcing kids to play kickball and to walk/trot around a track. I hated PE and was out of shape as a kid. Only well after high school did I discover I enjoyed working out and tracking my gains.

Yes. Having PE teachers who are trained and actually put in thought and effort into instructing children versus someone who tosses out a nerf soccer ball and pulls out a magazine to fulfill his requirement that coaches be full time teachers would be a start.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The PE classes in my high school were pretty cool. We had archery and bowling as well as like dance, touch football, and baseball etc. Favorite thing each year would be a tossup between archery and badminton.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Obama does not appear to have played either of those sports during his time in office, but that's why being Vice President is a way better job.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

Obama does not appear to have played either of those sports during his time in office, but that's why being Vice President is a way better job.

I like that it looks like there's a secret service agent standing directly behind the guy with the drawn bow. Whatever problems the agency may have, they'll be damned if anyone ever takes a shot with a weapon less technologically advanced than Booth's gun. They already dropped the ball once on shoes.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

MrSargent posted:

Hey folks, I don't normally post much but have been getting more interested/involved in politics lately so I apologize if this isn't the correct place for this discussion. Today, I had this article gracing my news feed on facebook, with many of my republican friends commenting and liking it. Here is the article in question:

http://www.usherald.com/maine-welfare-recipients-must-work-for-their-benefits/#.VSMk815brdk.facebook

I don't know much about the US Herald but it seems like your typical right-wing media outlet that likes to point out how dumb the liberals are for wasting taxpayer money. In reading the article though, it seems like they are mandating that able-bodied adults with no children are required to perform some level of community service in order to receive their benefits. Something about this just doesn't feel right to me but I am having trouble articulating it in a logical argument. It disgusts me that people commenting on this article find so much pleasure in "saving" taxpayer money by going after the absolute poorest people in the country, but I know that appealing to anyone on a compassionate level is pointless.

It also feels like this policy is almost a form of indentured servitude, where people are essentially performing a "job", but getting paid through benefits instead of a salary. Again, my apologies if this is not the correct thread for this type of discussion.

I'm going to wager a bunch of those dropped were students or live in the rural areas of Maine where vocational schools and volunteer outlets are lacking.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which a HERO campaign staffer rescues cardboard Rand Paul from the clutches of Vermin Supreme and his bag of candy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTm-SoJ5C2M

(In response to the #StandWithRand hashtag, Vermin has launched #SquirminWithVermin)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Joementum posted:

In which Mike Huckabee suggests decapitating ISIS with a hoe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FwCejK2XBU

This has a layer of irony I think is going unappreciated, because the comparison between al-qaeda/daesh and a rattlesnake is actually true, but for different reasons.

The rattlesnake does not go out of its way to kill humans. It harbors no murderous intent. What it does do is react to animals, including humans, who step into their personal space/territory. Violating its personal space is seen as a threat against its life. However, because Huckabee (and probably a lot of other americans) believe that the world is theirs and that they should be free to travel without impediment, they cannot see that what they have done is a reaction by the rattlesnake. They mistake it for an evil, opposing force out to get them and react upon that basis.

Al-Qaeda and Daesh are merely reactions to the US stepping all over the middle east territory and loving up their poo poo.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Freakazoid_ posted:

This has a layer of irony I think is going unappreciated, because the comparison between al-qaeda/daesh and a rattlesnake is actually true, but for different reasons.

The rattlesnake does not go out of its way to kill humans. It harbors no murderous intent. What it does do is react to animals, including humans, who step into their personal space/territory. Violating its personal space is seen as a threat against its life. However, because Huckabee (and probably a lot of other americans) believe that the world is theirs and that they should be free to travel without impediment, they cannot see that what they have done is a reaction by the rattlesnake. They mistake it for an evil, opposing force out to get them and react upon that basis.

Al-Qaeda and Daesh are merely reactions to the US stepping all over the middle east territory and loving up their poo poo.

And if you're bit by a rattlesnake, remain calm. If you flail about and panic you'll get the venom through your system quicker and make it more likely you'll die.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

(In response to the #StandWithRand hashtag, Vermin has launched #SquirminWithVermin)

Oh god yes, I though that latter tag was just one of my friends messing with me.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This just keep getting better.

Good news everyone, you can watch your stupid war movie about a crazy dude anyway. This should go over well.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Thanks.

Childhood obesity is indeed a problem, and PE alone is not the solution to it. Nutrition education should absolutely be incorporated into the school systems. However, as the authors of The Spirit Level point out, inequality and poverty are huge predictors for obesity and therefore the epidemic is the result of a systemic problem. The food industry's shift to extremely high sugar foods and processed foods are undoubtedly part of this problem, and while, again, nutrition education can help combat this, it is not a problem solely to be solved in the education system. However, we're talking about the education system, so let's focus on that.

At the elementary level, PE and recess are absolutely critical classes for children. Play in general is extremely important for children, and extremely problematic when it's cut. (You'll also note that reduction of play time is not just happening at schools; again, there are plenty of problems to be solved outside of schools). PE, when done properly, not only offers exercise, but goal setting, stress reduction, discipline, life long exercise habits, fine and gross motor skills, and improvements in academics. The research is absolutely clear on the importance of play, but given the background and poor socialization (or poverty) of a lot of students, structured play, guided by a knowledgeable adult (say, in a PE class) can be critical.

Also, PE is indeed useful in combating obesity, as exercise can inhibit overeating (study) and reduce stress, weight, and a number of other problems (CDC report).

The study you linked suggests to me that extending PE classes isn't a solution, but cutting the class entirely certainly isn't a solution either given the numerous proven benefits to health. Indeed, there are legitimate avenues for reform we need to take. Here, the author notes that (like in the study you linked) quantity of exercise is often less important than quality, and skill development, socialization, and enjoyment are all important components of a good PE class. I can't access the full study you linked, but I would guess that the "okay, *more* PE" decision on a state level was made by people who don't know a lot of the research I linked, highlighting the importance that experts craft classes and reform based on research, not the knee-jerk reactions of idiot legislatures or uninformed administrators, as it usually is. This need for exercise and socialization doesn't just disappear after elementary school. If your position is that we need to reform PE classes, I agree. If your position is we need to remove them, the weight of evidence is against you.

My position is that they are badly implemented in a lot of schools -particularly schools without a lot of money/resources. However, in the broader picture, I think that there are lot of issues with the skills students are coming to college with and high school PE does not strike me as a high priority for college-bound kids when they are lacking a lot of basic college prep-skills. For those students who will only ever get a HS diploma, these skills are arguably even more important because they are unlikely to acquire them in the future if they didn't get them in HS.

My teaching experience is a at a Big 10 school, so I've had a mixture of public and private school kids, and while I am no expert in K-12, I am pretty well-qualified (in terms of experience and familiarity with research) to say that a lot of students are coming to college significantly unprepared to make good arguments or evaluate sources.

In a perfect world we would reform almost everything in high schools, but we are far from such a world. If we have to choose what to prioritize, I'd much rather give HS students the skills to conduct research, make coherent arguments, and come to informed decisions. Learning these skills should allow you to figure out basic physical education on your own; although I think proper instruction in K-8 should probably instill that knowledge anyway. With the course load that applying for any remotely-competitive college often demands, it's hard for me to see PE as a priority for older teens, and I don't think longer school days are a great answer. Again, I can't speak to early childhood ed, though I would say that what knowledge is inline with what you're citing. Young kids are a whole different sphere of education research/practice.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I liked the guy suggesting cutting English classes based on a bad lit experience.

Judging by the papers I've seen graduate students write I would say we are already deficient in English. I mean, I just helped edit some guy's master's thesis and I had to explain to him when is and is not an appropriate time for a paragraph break.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

alpha_destroy posted:

I liked the guy suggesting cutting English classes based on a bad lit experience.

Judging by the papers I've seen graduate students write I would say we are already deficient in English. I mean, I just helped edit some guy's master's thesis and I had to explain to him when is and is not an appropriate time for a paragraph break.

When is

it appropriate?
Please

help.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I went back to a community college a couple years ago to get an AS and/or professional certification. I had previous credits so I probably could've tested out of their required composition class but I figured what the hell, it'll get me out of the house.

The prof was horrified by what the students fresh out of high school were turning in. It looked like third-grade quality work with every grammar error you can imagine.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

When is

it appropriate?
Please

help.

You joke, but it was almost that nonsensical. This guy ended one paragraph and started the next on a subordinate clause, finished that fragment, wrote a single poo poo sentence, and started a third whole new paragraph. It was bad dude. If I hadn't asked him what he was thinking I would have thought it was a serious of unfortunate typographical errors.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

In which a HERO campaign staffer rescues cardboard Rand Paul from the clutches of Vermin Supreme and his bag of candy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTm-SoJ5C2M

lol even the cardboard cut outs of Rand look stiff and uncomfortable.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

In which Mike Huckabee suggests decapitating ISIS with a hoe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FwCejK2XBU

1st. He's an rear end in a top hat if he shoots snakes or kills them :mad:

2nd. Trailer for the MGV:TPP lookin good'

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

alpha_destroy posted:

You joke, but it was almost that nonsensical. This guy ended one paragraph and started the next on a subordinate clause, finished that fragment, wrote a single poo poo sentence, and started a third whole new paragraph. It was bad dude. If I hadn't asked him what he was thinking I would have thought it was a serious of unfortunate typographical errors.

You motherfucker.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I've read that low educational attainment is largely a function of poverty, specifically, that when you control for childhood poverty in cross-country comparisons, we actually get up near the top of the pack. From this, I infer that the system would work mostly fine if not for poverty.

So, a question for any education buffs: Could extended hours be used to insulate kids from poverty? I'm imagining a trial program where a high school runs 8 to 4 with extra-curriculars as two hour modules replete with dinner service.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Accretionist posted:

I've read that low educational attainment is largely a function of poverty, specifically, that when you control for childhood poverty in cross-country comparisons, we actually get up near the top of the pack. From this, I infer that the system would work mostly fine if not for poverty.

So, a question for any education buffs: Could extended hours be used to insulate kids from poverty? I'm imagining a trial program where a high school runs 8 to 4 with extra-curriculars as two hour modules replete with dinner service.

Public schools in a lot of states are so terrible that it wouldn't be any better if kids were there 14 hours a day. In a lot of those states, this is by design.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Accretionist posted:

At some point those kids will have to go home and the poverty is still at home. How would changing a school schedule affect that? It doesn't matter when kids go to school or for how long. They still have all the poo poo happening at home whether they're home in the morning to deal with it or home at night. You do realize the food kids are served at school are often the only reliable sources for meals kids living in poverty have? I worked in a high school where students would come to school long enough to get their free lunch courtesy of the USDA, then take off afterward and skip their afternoon classes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

One of Ted Cruz' campaign promises is abolishing the IRS? :psyduck:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

And he's also going to fix those pesky federal courts so they can never rule in favor of gay marriage ever again.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
How about a bi-partisan compromise for y'all: Teach shooting in gym class.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Luigi Thirty posted:

One of Ted Cruz' campaign promises is abolishing the IRS? :psyduck:

He is loving doubling down. It's gonna be fantastic. This of course means we will indeed see Bush v. Clinton.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

skaboomizzy posted:

Public schools in a lot of states are so terrible that it wouldn't be any better if kids were there 14 hours a day. In a lot of those states, this is by design.
Yeah my school was hit particularly bad, like for four years other than Latin & humanities/psychology (you can't be an rear end in a top hat when your teacher's name is Mr. Justice) classes most of my peers were complete jagoffs who gave no shits about learning and instead decide to be complete pricks to the hardworking teachers who I could actually relate to and find more meaningful conversations with about life and also shoot the poo poo about stuff.

Also my school kind of has a reputation for being a "thug" school (any Western PA goons would know since I'm talking about Gateway High School) and yeah I saw a couple of fights, including freshmen year when I saw a hulk cave a small guys face in for dating his ex. Hell I got in a fight... though that was more of a kidney punch the guy then lightly sock him in the face and then run to the hills, but still everyone liked me for it since the guy I fought was a douchebag.

What I'm try to say is, basically everything is hosed; my take, history books must be made as objective as possible with all the sugar coating wiped off, the Scarlet Letter should be banned from being taught because holy gently caress that book is awful and boring, and anyone who tries bringing up creationism/climate change denialism will be forced to read stacks of studies proving otherwise until they realize what a moron they are.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I had a criminal justice class in high school where i figured out how to beat a smoking in school ticket. They had to write a whole new law because of me lol. That's my high school story thanks for listening.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

I had a criminal justice class in high school where i figured out how to beat a smoking in school ticket. They had to write a whole new law because of me lol. That's my high school story thanks for listening.

Did you get extra credit for that? I feel like you should automatically pass the class after that chain of events.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Bel Shazar posted:

Did you get extra credit for that? I feel like you should automatically pass the class after that chain of events.

No, but the judge wrote me a recommendation letter to university for it. That was pretty cool. He was kind of mad he had to let me off but I guess he respected my effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bel Shazar posted:

My 12th grade English teacher was big on poetry. He said if any of us during the year had a poem published in any print magazine he'd give us an A automatically. I don't think anyone took him up on that.

• Locked thread