Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Got to play my first game of 7 Wonders yesterday and it was pretty fun, though I'll say that the guy trying to explain the rules could maybe have found a better way to do it because I kinda zoned out halfway through (and was starting to regret insisting that we give it a try) but once things actually hit the table I pretty much immediately got most everything, and what I wasn't sure on got hashed out with a couple of questions in short order. All in all not a bad game, though I don't know if I'd play it forever and ever amen.

Also got to play some more Coup, which works ooookay? with four players but I think having six would have made it better, but each game went by nice and quick, not a bad way to spend 45 minutes getting four games in. I even won one, which is surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Context
Sep 11, 2006
Is Exploding Kittens, the most heavily funded game in Kickstarter history, any good?

quote:

"Yeah, that's funny," he said while not laughing.

...of course I have at least two friends who were enthusiastic backers.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I will definitely pick Yomi up on steam and play against goons.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Context posted:

Is Exploding Kittens, the most heavily funded game in Kickstarter history, any good?

Video game reviewer says awful card game is "fun", more at 11

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This is the best part, actually:

quote:

But is this game the second coming of Cards Against Humanity? Will Exploding Kittens become the go-to party game, a veritable cultural touchstone played by us commoners as well as the high-born aristocracy?

I really don't think so.

I'm also at a loss as to how, exactly, to keep this game as fresh or topical as Cards has remained so many years after its launch.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Ah yes, the fresh and topical mechahitler jokes.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
Played a bunch of Pandante via the online client and Skype, and had a bit of a blast.
I was just really into the way it encouraged big plays. You see, you can only replace cards in your hand for free during the first two betting phases of the game if you're betting on the highest hand at the table. For every hand lower than that you're betting on, it costs two chips, so the further down you are, the harder it is to replace your cards with something better. And as a result, the game ends up with a lot of impressive plays, and an equal (or more) amount of plays that backfire hilariously. Also sounds like the version two rules were really improved from the first version rules, but I haven't played the first version, so I can't really speculate too hard.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Really seems like Falling does this concept much better, with faster rounds. I mean, I'm not surprised, but still.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Context posted:

Really should've known what I was getting into when I foolishly clicked on a Polygon link but nevertheless I am still surprised by how awful that website is and everything it does, this being no exception.

PopZeus posted:

Really seems like Falling does this concept much better, with faster rounds. I mean, I'm not surprised, but still.

Falling is a fabulous game and I really need to bug my friend to get it back into our group's game circulation.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Also sounds like the version two rules were really improved from the first version rules, but I haven't played the first version, so I can't really speculate too hard.

And I haven't played the second edition.. but I can say the first edition was really poor and nobody who I tried it with liked it (I couldn't give it away within our group). I'd hope for:

1. Much faster play. It took forever to play a hand with 6 people, with endless rounds of breakfast and snacking and powers and boredom and nobody ever, ever folding
2. More reason to bet higher than Floosh
3. Pretty much any reason to bet lower than Floosh
4. General streamlining, it was a fiddly mess that sucked any joy out of the concept

It's certainly not a hopeless cause, because in the end it's very much Poker and Poker is an excellent game - but I will say I'm not a big fan of board game patches.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Lookin' good, hope my collection isn't wiped out next patch.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

I don't think it would work well as a solo game, it kind of thrives on the direct competition aspect of it. It works better than PaxPo though.

Thanks. I saw a solo playthrough using the cooperative variant and it seemed interesting, but if the tension comes from other people dicking you over that's a dealbreaker.

Money saved for the MK expansion, I guess.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The worst submarine posted:

Lookin' good, hope my collection isn't wiped out next patch.

Is this a beta or something you have access to?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

S.J. posted:

Is this a beta or something you have access to?

It's fake homey

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Countblanc posted:

It's fake homey

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

This is the best part, actually:

The best part is the link to another article where the people behind Exploding Kittens try to claim they're losing $6m on the project.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

oh my god

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jedit posted:

The best part is the link to another article where the people behind Exploding Kittens try to claim they're losing $6m on the project.

I can't find the link, could you post it? Because that sounds stupid as all gently caress, unless of course they're counting the 8.8 million as straight up profit for some bizarre reason.

Also, I really don't see why all the lolrandom crap is seen as inside jokes in that review? I can see how Abracrab Lincoln is supposed to be funny without having read The Oatmeal I think.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm pretty sure the joke is that it's Lincoln, but he's a crab.

That's it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Aston posted:

I'm pretty sure the joke is that it's Lincoln, but he's a crab.

That's it.

Yeah, that's funny.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BonHair posted:

I can't find the link, could you post it? Because that sounds stupid as all gently caress, unless of course they're counting the 8.8 million as straight up profit for some bizarre reason.

Nope, they outright claim it will cost $15m to fulfil all the pledges.

The link is in the right side bar of the Polygon article linked to earlier.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Do you mind linking to it directly? I can't find an article with that particular claim in it, just the one titled "No one's getting rich of Exploding Kittens".

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

this one?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

That's the one I had found, but I can't see any claim that it's costing them $15 million to fulfil all the pledges. Looks more like this:

quote:

If Exploding Kittens' creators wanted to print 420,000 copies of the game and ship them, hoping they would sell, the project would cost around $6.3 million, with no guarantee of return.

seems like the actual cost of the project.

e: Yeah, looking over the kickstarter page gives me a number of just over 420,000 decks (422,193 exactly) which if their estimate of $15 on average per deck is accurate, gives the cost of fulfilling pledges of $6,332,895, which after Kickstarter's cut of $750,000 still leaves them with about $1.7 million excess.

Aston fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 9, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

That article says that the three guys that made EK are likely to make six figures anyway, but they aren't becoming rich rich.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm just curious where the figure of fifteen million dollars came from - that would mean each deck costs about $35 to manufacture and ship.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Aston posted:

That's the one I had found, but I can't see any claim that it's costing them $15 million to fulfil all the pledges.

They say they will print "slightly less than 1MM decks" and that "it will cost around $14 to $15 to create and ship each deck." Either each pledger (220m) bought 5 decks or they are creating a huge stock to sell later. Or the article is wrong*. Or they are just sandbagging.

What I mean to say is that you should take economical analysis of a project on the Internet with a grain of salt.

*The guy interviewing Temik should have zoomed in on those wildly different numbers he's flinging around, I have no idea on where the 420m copies figure comes from.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 9, 2015

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I think I've found what it is - they say they're printing a million decks of cards, but clearly those aren't all for the Kickstarter, and the remainder are presumably for normal retail sale.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aston posted:

I think I've found what it is - they say they're printing a million decks of cards, but clearly those aren't all for the Kickstarter, and the remainder are presumably for normal retail sale.

I didn't actually count the number of decks ordered by backers. What I saw was them saying they had x backers but some had ordered multiple decks so the actual print run was a million.

Which means it's time for a campaign to get game stores not to stock Exploding Kittens, so these poo poo bastards get lumbered with millions of dollars of stock they can't shift.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Jedit posted:

I didn't actually count the number of decks ordered by backers. What I saw was them saying they had x backers but some had ordered multiple decks so the actual print run was a million.

Which means it's time for a campaign to get game stores not to stock Exploding Kittens, so these poo poo bastards get lumbered with millions of dollars of stock they can't shift.

I'm confused about what you mean by 'poo poo bastards'. Are they bastards in possession of poo poo, bastards who can be described as poo poo, or bastards who are defined by their association with poo poo?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

bobvonunheil posted:

I'm confused about what you mean by 'poo poo bastards'. Are they bastards in possession of poo poo, bastards who can be described as poo poo, or bastards who are defined by their association with poo poo?

All of the above apply.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Jedit posted:

I'm sure your local store will be happy to hear about a game you think will make too much money

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Aston posted:

I'm just curious where the figure of fifteen million dollars came from - that would mean each deck costs about $35 to manufacture and ship.

How the hell did they manage to make a deck of cards cost $35 to manufacture. :psyduck: Is it printed on silk or something? They would literally get a better profit margin from The Game Crafter.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
My girlfriend went and playtested exploding kittens at a local area 'nerd' bar a couple days ago. She said it was 'good' but she likes the random monkeycheese stuff that Steve Jackson puts out, so yeah she's the target audience. Never wants to play stuff that is even medium weight. This is by no means a recommendation because i'm admitting my GF's taste in games is terrible.

In other news got Space Alert to the table again last night, and space armed itself with a slingshot and shot both the major and minor asteroids, and the small and large meteoroids at us. We had also pulled the shortest threat tracks for in front of the ship so they hurtled towards us starting at distance 2 or barely qualifying for distance 3 and have a speed of 4-5 so we didn't manage to blow them up in time sadly, and a major asteroid flew threw the dead center of the ship. No survivors. (we at least got to clean up the contamination that spread all over red and blue, so I suppose it's a minor victory since at least we didn't contaminate the asteroids)

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
The question is, how much demand will their be that ends up unmet by the Kickstarter?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Rutibex posted:

How the hell did they manage to make a deck of cards cost $35 to manufacture. :psyduck: Is it printed on silk or something? They would literally get a better profit margin from The Game Crafter.

Nah it was just a miscommunication, they cost $15 to manufacture but I was unclear on how many they were actually making.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
I was introduced to Gloom the other day. Oh man is that a bad game, it's like Munchkin but you're encouraged to take like 5 minutes on each of your turns to tell the story of your beleaguered family.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Sloober posted:

In other news got Space Alert to the table again last night, and space armed itself with a slingshot and shot both the major and minor asteroids, and the small and large meteoroids at us. We had also pulled the shortest threat tracks for in front of the ship so they hurtled towards us starting at distance 2 or barely qualifying for distance 3 and have a speed of 4-5 so we didn't manage to blow them up in time sadly, and a major asteroid flew threw the dead center of the ship. No survivors. (we at least got to clean up the contamination that spread all over red and blue, so I suppose it's a minor victory since at least we didn't contaminate the asteroids)

It's very important to avoid space littering :colbert:

My group this weekend is just getting to the first intro to Internal Threats. I can't wait to see the heads hit the table when I tell them that internal damage bypasses shields.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

bobvonunheil posted:

I was introduced to Gloom the other day. Oh man is that a bad game, it's like Munchkin but you're encouraged to take like 5 minutes on each of your turns to tell the story of your beleaguered family.

Yeah Gloom is really bad. My wife's 10 year old niece was like "That wasn't that good, can I play Catan or Citadels again instead?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Yeah Gloom is really bad. My wife's 10 year old niece was like "That wasn't that good, can I play Catan or Citadels again instead?"

You know it's bad if you want to play citadels over it. I loving hate citadels though.

All told I would rather gloom than munchkin and flux, it ends about twice as fast. However I would probably find an excuse to not play or try to suggest something else instead.

deadly_pudding posted:

It's very important to avoid space littering :colbert:

My group this weekend is just getting to the first intro to Internal Threats. I can't wait to see the heads hit the table when I tell them that internal damage bypasses shields.

The internal threats that do damage aren't even the worst of them. Many have some nasty effects that do other things to mess you up even worse.