Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

bewilderment posted:

Similar stuff in Okami, which is probably the best Zeldalike game ever except for the part where your fairy equivalent, Issun, will not loving shut up in the early game and will insist on telling you exactly how to solve a puzzle before you even try. It gets toned down as the game progresses that but that opening is just irritating.

The best Zelda-like is actually Darksiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
the worst part of okami was the brick wall that had 7 or 8 points on it you had to put a dot on to destroy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

amityville anus posted:

the worst part of okami was the brick wall that had 7 or 8 points on it you had to put a dot on to destroy.

That's totally optional afaik and I skipped that guy.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

DrBouvenstein posted:

I was mis-remembering. It's not an elevator, but a lot of stairs and a ladder that go from the Cathedral Ward to Old Yarnham:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uTsulwn1_U

Start around 24 minutes...he's in the Cathedral Ward, then he goes down a bunch of stairs, is in the basement of the Tomb, and eventually exits the tomb and is outside with sky above him.

He doesn't turn around all the way, but I certainly have, and there is no indication of the area you just came from is anywhere above you like it should be.

Ah ok, it's like, there's central yharnam, the area you start in and that's up on a cliff. Then there's some bridges that connect it to the cathedral ward/grand cathedral section, which is also up high, and a ravine/lowered area is between them. Old yharnam is on the bottom of that low area, in between the other two, but not directly beneath them/underground.

Blood-stained beast's church is actually visible underneath Cleric Beast's bridge if you know where you're looking.

I'll concede that it might not match perfectly. I think it probably does but there are certainly vistas that don't seem quite right distance-wise to me, so I'm willing to admit there's some odd stuff going on but no, old yharnam is not supposed to be underground, it's open air and visible from above.

edit: I think the area that sort of confuses me is how forbidden forest has a passage back to Iosefka's clinic in central yharnam. I guess I can sort of see how that'd work but I dunno.

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 08:19 on Apr 8, 2015

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Phobophilia posted:

That's totally optional afaik and I skipped that guy.

you could skip it with the vine move but it took me about an hour of do overs to figure that out. Okami is on the very short list of games ive blacked out playing.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

amityville anus posted:

All those guys were easy even the hardest one, maybe your memory just blows.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

bewilderment posted:

Similar stuff in Okami, which is probably the best Zeldalike game ever except for the part where your fairy equivalent, Issun, will not loving shut up in the early game and will insist on telling you exactly how to solve a puzzle before you even try. It gets toned down as the game progresses that but that opening is just irritating.

I got this game before it had really become a cult classic and the ridiculously long opening almost made me quit. I think it was literally over 30 minutes of scrolling text and still images with no player input.

amityville anus posted:

I didn't realize you had to do the dots in the correct order until my second playthrough so I had to do that thing dozens of times until I got lucky. I thought you just had to be really precise :downs:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ChaosArgate posted:

You don't actually have to do a lot of stealth in that. There's like 2 screens that you need to stealth in, but that's it, the other ones aren't necessary. :v:

I have to agree with Majora's Mask's intro being pretty slow, but it gives you a chance to go around and meet the townspeople, see how theynlive their lives and such so you can have a headstart on that whem you're Hylian again. Also imthink time passes faster than usual in the first cycle.

Nah, time passes normally for the first cycle, you just don't have the song to slow down time yet (or any other song). It's a solid 72 minutes.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

The Moon Monster posted:

I didn't realize you had to do the dots in the correct order until my second playthrough so I had to do that thing dozens of times until I got lucky. I thought you just had to be really precise :downs:

Dry erase marker on the TV screen. Get a sequence that's easy to remember what order they happened in, boom, done. Why yes, I'm a cheater.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i didnt know they had to be in order. that puzzle still sucks

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Geomancing posted:

Dry erase marker on the TV screen. Get a sequence that's easy to remember what order they happened in, boom, done. Why yes, I'm a cheater.
I just took video of it with my phone.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!
Dungeon of the Endless is way too luck-based. I understand that it's a roguelike, which is already an extremely luck-based genre, but Dungeon is the only one I've found that can and will just straight-up murder you if you have bad luck. If you can't establish an early foothold on a floor, that's it, you're hosed. And there's plenty of reasons for that to happen, that only get more likely as the game goes; you could not be given dust to power rooms, you could have too few self-powered rooms to give yourself space, you could actually HAVE powered rooms but in a bad layout, you could have too few resources to expend to actually make those rooms defensible, and if any one of those things happen you're going to die VERY quickly.

The game doesn't give you any means to mitigate any of this; there's no tools or maneuvers to defend against just having a poo poo start to a floor. When it happens you might as well give up, no matter how far you've come.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
In Resident Evil: Revelations 2, it uses the thing where you can set 4 weapons to the directions on the d-pad, but you have to unlock the weapon slots over time as you level up, and the 'left' button is the last space that you unlock.

Left on the d-pad is where I've been equipping my shotgun for the last 10 years, you assholes! Now I have to wait until I hit level 55 before I can put my shotgun on the right button.

loving bullshit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been replaying Saints Row 4 on the PS4 and its amazing how lackluster the radio is. I'm not sure the actual count but every station feels like it just has 5 songs that you're going to hear over and over again.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I don't think I ever listened to the radio in SR4, I imagine they didn't really put the effort in as the player will be driving so rarely.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They actually changed it so you can listen to the radio whenever you want to. Which is something that Rockstar really needed to steal for GTA V. I want to ride bikes in GTA but since you can't listen to music it is just kind of boring on any lengthy trip.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Walton Simons posted:

I don't think I ever listened to the radio in SR4, I imagine they didn't really put the effort in as the player will be driving so rarely.

Too bad this game lets you listen when not in cars now. :v:

SRIV began development when THQ was going under so I'm pretty sure they didn't have enough money for a really varied selection of music.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Cleretic posted:

Dungeon of the Endless is way too luck-based. I understand that it's a roguelike, which is already an extremely luck-based genre, but Dungeon is the only one I've found that can and will just straight-up murder you if you have bad luck. If you can't establish an early foothold on a floor, that's it, you're hosed. And there's plenty of reasons for that to happen, that only get more likely as the game goes; you could not be given dust to power rooms, you could have too few self-powered rooms to give yourself space, you could actually HAVE powered rooms but in a bad layout, you could have too few resources to expend to actually make those rooms defensible, and if any one of those things happen you're going to die VERY quickly.

The game doesn't give you any means to mitigate any of this; there's no tools or maneuvers to defend against just having a poo poo start to a floor. When it happens you might as well give up, no matter how far you've come.

If you are having a bad run, you are meant to abort it. You do not have to finish all encounter, or all runs.
Run back! Regroup and try again.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

I've been replaying Saints Row 4 on the PS4 and its amazing how lackluster the radio is. I'm not sure the actual count but every station feels like it just has 5 songs that you're going to hear over and over again.

I agree but the SR games do have something up on GTA in the ability to easily create your own custom station which is a pretty great move. If they gave you GTA's variety of music it'd be even better because, as you said, there's not a whole lot there.

Speaking of SR 3, 45% of the missions you go on are just one level of the various activities in the game. That's pretty immensely lazy.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

amityville anus posted:

i didnt know they had to be in order. that puzzle still sucks

It's actually not bad if you know to do them in order. The one that really sucks is that series of symbols you have to draw for some fashionista in the city. You have to draw a bunch of symbols like hearts and diamonds, and it is incredibly finicky.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Less tied to a specific game and more a game platform, but I get annoyed that so many Android games don't use Google's built-in data/save backup stuff.

I bought Chrono Trigger a few weeks ago, and could only play it on my older tablet because it didn't work on Lollipop devices. But the other day they finally released an update so it CAN work on Android 5.X. But that means I'd have to start all over again since the saves don't go to Google's cloud.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Playing HotS made me realize how poo poo garbage most MOBA production values are, the game looks and feels a bazillion times better than anything else.
Also Smite is utter loving dreck.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation

Luisfe posted:

If you are having a bad run, you are meant to abort it. You do not have to finish all encounter, or all runs.
Run back! Regroup and try again.

I suppose what's getting me is that the way other roguelikes go, even a bad run is theoretically winnable. Being appropriately clever, cautious and strategic means that you're never in a no-win situation in a game like FTL, for example. This also means every failure is a learning experience; there's something to take from all of your failures, something you need to learn how to avoid.

Then Dungeon comes along, and no, sometimes there's nothing you can do. Some floors are flat-out impossible. Hell, often the first floor is impossible, the game doesn't even give you the resources to make your way to the exit before you've gotten any means to stretch out and start defining your playstyle. And I'm just not sure what to do with that, I don't know what to take from a loss so arbitrary, unarguable and final.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I only won FTL by modding out the incoming rebel fleet and I got to see the 95% of content I would never have seen otherwise. It made me wish there was a more conventional RPG spinoff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I only won FTL by modding out the incoming rebel fleet and I got to see the 95% of content I would never have seen otherwise. It made me wish there was a more conventional RPG spinoff.

Yeah, I enjoyed the gameplay parts of FTL but didn't like the randomized Rougelike bits.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I suppose what's getting me is that the way other roguelikes go, even a bad run is theoretically winnable. Being appropriately clever, cautious and strategic means that you're never in a no-win situation in a game like FTL, for example. This also means every failure is a learning experience; there's something to take from all of your failures, something you need to learn how to avoid.
Maybe this is true for modern hip roguelikes, which I'm not overly familiar with :crankygrandpa: but I still associate the term with games like Nethack and Stone Soup where ridiculous unfair early-game deaths are just a thing that kind of happens.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Maybe this is true for modern hip roguelikes, which I'm not overly familiar with :crankygrandpa: but I still associate the term with games like Nethack and Stone Soup where ridiculous unfair early-game deaths are just a thing that kind of happens.

I can't speak for other roguelikes of the era, but every game of Nethack is beatable too, I recall someone proving as such by ascending with every class consecutively. You do have to be very careful, because literally every single step has the potential to kill you, but if you know what to look out for and how to counter them you can avoid every single death in Nethack.

On the other hand, I always thought Nethack was the epitome of the 'Losing is Fun' mantra picked up by so many modern roguelikes. Deaths in Nethack are hilarious, and back when I played it I would dedicate entire nights to 'quaff every potion, read every scroll' suicide runs. Modern roguelikes seem to take 'Losing is Fun' to mean 'even if you lost, it was still a fun time', and while that's a perfectly good driving philosophy I can't help but miss games where it meant 'shapeshifted into a kraken and suffocated on dry land', or its cousin, the Dwarf Fortress 'filled my entire fortress with lava while trying to kill a boar made of salt'.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nethack is basically a solvable puzzle. The whole game is about learning how it works. Once you do, it's always beatable.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Never played Nethack but play Crawl all the time. I only really feel like unavoidable early death in it are where you are any casting starting class and the first enemies you run into are a pack of jackals and you won't have enough mp to kill them or be able to out run them.

Unless you are talking about older versions where you could starve to death in the first few floors cause you read an unidentified scroll with a club in your hand but that is still your fault.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah, I enjoyed the gameplay parts of FTL but didn't like the randomized Rougelike bits.

I liked everything except the fact that you needed to get super lucky and have the stars align just right (literally :v:) to get a bunch of the unlocks. And the boss sucks.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Even worse is Gat Out Of Hell, which has no radio at all even though they went to the trouble to license and included a ton of awesomely generic metal to blare from cars as they drive by.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Everything in FTL is good, except the parts that aren't, which include the entire game.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Been playing thru Saints Row 4 again on the the Bone recently and I noticed the same thing. Spent all my time listening to The Mix, and found it kept repeating the same 4-5 songs all the time, even though there's 16 for that station.

As for Gat out Of Hell, the lack of songs just goes with the lack of story or unique missions. That's totally a game you can just load up and gently caress around flying and collecting souls/causing wanton destruction while you listen to a podcast or watch Youtube.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The biggest miss for Gat out of Hell is not licensing the Meat Loaf song.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
The thing dragging FTL down for me is the final boss. It almost requires very specific tactics to beat, so for the entire game you're focusing on building a specific set of weapons and devices to counter all the cheap tricks it pulls. If you don't manage to pick up a cloaking device, for instance, you're going to have a bad time with the second and third phases.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FredMSloniker posted:

The thing dragging FTL down for me is the final boss. It almost requires very specific tactics to beat, so for the entire game you're focusing on building a specific set of weapons and devices to counter all the cheap tricks it pulls. If you don't manage to pick up a cloaking device, for instance, you're going to have a bad time with the second and third phases.

In the free update they put out if it hacks your shields or engines immediately and you don't have your own hacking device to counter their hack you basically lose. Infinite Space is a mod that changes it so you go forever and every so often you get an increasingly tough boss ship to fight, so they end up more powerful than the final boss, but you're getting tougher too. It plays much better not having every decision revolve around gearing up for the boss then getting hosed anyway for having a third run in a row where no shop or drop you come across has a useful weapon.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Apr 9, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

In general, roguelike mechanics are what drag a game down for me. Specifically the lack of saving and the "well, time to restart" stuff.

There's been handfuls of games where it looked appealing, only to find its a roguelike and I've avoided buying it just because I know that the game would wind up being abandoned because of it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Moon Monster posted:

It's actually not bad if you know to do them in order. The one that really sucks is that series of symbols you have to draw for some fashionista in the city. You have to draw a bunch of symbols like hearts and diamonds, and it is incredibly finicky.

I'll have to try it again this weekend. I want to get the platinum trophy for Okami HD and that loving Grande Block had thus far stopped me cold. :negative:

On the topic of Okami, I didn't like the re-match with the Bosses at the end of the game, because there was no challenge to it. Even Nine-Tails was a push-over compared to when you first fought her. If they had to include a fight with the prior bosses, they should have either added a twist to increase the challenge or make you fight all five of them at once (no, I don't know how that would work).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LoonShia posted:

The biggest miss for Gat out of Hell is not licensing the Meat Loaf song.

This. :colbert:

Also, more games need to allow custom music lists or make it moddable. I appreciate them getting music to fill out their in-game radio networks and it is generally enjoyable but when it starts to become worse than actual radio stations it becomes annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

In general, roguelike mechanics are what drag a game down for me. Specifically the lack of saving and the "well, time to restart" stuff.

There's been handfuls of games where it looked appealing, only to find its a roguelike and I've avoided buying it just because I know that the game would wind up being abandoned because of it.

I've accidentally bought a roguelike before. :psyduck: It was Cargo Commander, which is actually a charming sort of game. Nothing really changes about the gameplay after 10 minutes though.