Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Hat Thoughts posted:

Dawn of The Dead is like a lot of classics in that not enough people bring up how funny it is.

I feel like a movie speaks for itself on that matter when it ends with bikers pieing zombies in the face and spraying them with seltzer water.

Considering where the movie starts (and the fact that up to that point you believe our protags are in real, possible danger from these bikers) that has to be one of the biggest and best tonal shifts in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Cameo posted:

I feel like a movie speaks for itself on that matter when it ends with bikers pieing zombies in the face and spraying them with seltzer water.

Considering where the movie starts (and the fact that up to that point you believe our protags are in real, possible danger from these bikers) that has to be one of the biggest and best tonal shifts in history.

the part of that scene that always gets me is one of the bikers stealing a zombie's wallet.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the part of that scene that always gets me is one of the bikers stealing a zombie's wallet.

Or when they strip the rich zombie lady about town of her tacky jewelry.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I finally watched Tusk and yeah it's pretty terrible. The ending especially, but the addition of high as poo poo Kevin Smith planning the last bit over the credits is the saddest thing. It seemed so juvenile and the guy's 44. It's the kind of idea you wake up to the next day think about and say, never mind. But he followed through with it which I guess was the point, but it doesn't say anything besides if you have a little extra capital you can follow through with dumb ideas.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 6, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
*buys ticket for avengers 2, complains about unoriginal filmmaking*

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

All this time you're wasting arguing with hypothetical people could be better spent forming an opinion that isn't just the reactionary opposite of people who don't like what you like.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Someone on these forums bringing up how much they hate Marvel movies for no reason in a thread that has nothing to do with them, to show how cool and unique they are? I've never seen that before, let me tell you what.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How is it that during this huge comic movie boom nobody ever tried to get Kevin Smith to make a superhero movie?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

How is it that during this huge comic movie boom nobody ever tried to get Kevin Smith to make a superhero movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUwkqeI7XWk

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Jack Gladney posted:

He was actually tapped to do Green Hornet in the early 2000's before the superhero boom, but either out of laziness or a moment of clarity he bowed out because he realized it was beyond his ability to do a competently shot action movie

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

He was actually tapped to do Green Hornet in the early 2000's before the superhero boom, but either out of laziness or a moment of clarity he bowed out because he realized it was beyond his ability to do a competently shot action movie

Then he made Cop Out.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Jack Gladney posted:

I seem to recall they did a few times.

There was the before mentioned Superman Lives/Reborn.

I similarly think that during one of his Evening With videos, I think he spoke about back in the 90s/early 00s he was on board for a Green Hornet movie that never got made, and I seem to recall he also got hired to write a script for a Six-Billion Dollar Man movie around the same time. I'm fairly certain both projects eventually got comic book releases of the scripts, though, even though I can't remember anything of any of them.

As an odd note, and it's been a long time so I might be off, I think he mentioned in an interview around that late 90s era or so years ago that he even was commissioned to write a big-screen Scooby Doo movie but quickly dropped out because he just couldn't get into the characters.

Post-Clerks 2 there was the big talk his next film was to be Ranger Danger and the Danger Rangers, some original IP of his.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
While not a comic book, I remember he was big on trying to re-make the novels/movies Fletch.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

I've seen Dawn Of The Dead a bunch of times, and I've seen other low-budget films in the same broad genre from that era and beyond. I dig them all, but I can't find myself putting any of them on a higher pedestal than another.It's all the same low-budget schlock that I'm not walking away from Intellectually Stimulated, one way or another.

If you can't tell the difference between Suspiria and Oasis of the Zombies, you might be a Kevin Smith fan.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jack Gladney posted:

They've read his comic books?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Jack Gladney posted:

He's not that good of a director?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I can't think of a director less suited for a superhero movie than Kevin Smith

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Of course, 20 years ago, would anyone have really suspected someone from Troma would have ended up directing one of Marvel's biggest movies?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

He should do a superhero movie about a guy that gains all of the powers of a walrus.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Raxivace posted:

He should do a superhero movie about a guy that gains all of the powers of a walrus.

An autobiopic?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

MacheteZombie posted:

While not a comic book, I remember he was big on trying to re-make the novels/movies Fletch.

I think he'd work in that environment since the template is already there for him. He can't gently caress up the tone, or the structure. Those Fletch books could easily translate to screenplays without that much trouble.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Does anyone know what Smith's standing in Hollywood is currently? Like would the studios even bother with him if he wanted to work with them or is his name soured?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I imagine that the whole Red State stunt burned at least a couple bridges.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
His Daredevil run was abysmal. Some pages were literally 90% speechbubbles. He was like a professional Tim Buckley.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

mr. stefan posted:

I imagine that the whole Red State stunt burned at least a couple bridges.

By all accounts it burned him more with smaller distributors. And that was the problem with the stunt. People like Alamo Drafthouse were there (They released Four Lions and Miami Connection) and they don't have a big staff they can send all over Sundance, so when Smith sends his open invitation they go along because why not, then Smith proceeds to tell them how bad distributors are and buys his own rights for a dollar or whatever he did. He was railing against studios when, by and large, the studios weren't even in the room.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

DrVenkman posted:

By all accounts it burned him more with smaller distributors. And that was the problem with the stunt. People like Alamo Drafthouse were there (They released Four Lions and Miami Connection) and they don't have a big staff they can send all over Sundance, so when Smith sends his open invitation they go along because why not, then Smith proceeds to tell them how bad distributors are and buys his own rights for a dollar or whatever he did. He was railing against studios when, by and large, the studios weren't even in the room.

I was thinking, Alamo Drafthouse would have probably been up for Kevin Smith's ideas for Red State (taking the film on the road before a wide release). Did he think the major studios would be in a bidding war for the guy who made Cop Out?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I finally watched Tusk and yeah it's pretty terrible. The ending especially, but the addition of high as poo poo Kevin Smith planning the last bit over the credits is the saddest thing. It seemed so juvenile and the guy's 44. It's the kind of idea you wake up to the next day think about and say, never mind. But he followed through with it which I guess was the point, but it doesn't say anything besides if you have a little extra capital you can follow through with dumb ideas.

Actually, I was very on the fence about Tusk at first. I liked the experience of watching it, but wasn't convinced it was any good--really a 6/10 at best. But I ended up ruminating on the film quite a bit, and I think it's far more successful than it has any right to be. And ultimately, the point it makes about negative attention (which really does course throughout the entire film) is an interesting one I haven't really seen in other films. It's much better viewed as a non-comedy. Also, Parks knocks it out of the... you know.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Pick posted:

It's much better viewed as a non-comedy.

Yep.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Crossposting from Games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH2J6bHw9pg

(something that has never been said in cinema discusso)

VVV Not at all VVV

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 23, 2015

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Crossposting from Games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH2J6bHw9pg

(something that has never been said in cinema discusso)

Took me a minute to figure this was a Smodcast car. Did Kevin Smith make it or something?

Sanzio037
Dec 9, 2013
Red State is my favorite. I really like how he got the WBB church people tickets.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
KEVIN SMITH DIRECTED SOMETHING FOR MARVEL!

Less exciting, it's just an ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8m-NxpUIP0

Plus side, I liked it.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I was bored at first, than annoyed, than somewhere around the halfway point something clicked in my brain and i loved it.

(kevinsmith.txt)

K. Waste posted:

All this time you're wasting arguing with hypothetical people could be better spent forming an opinion that isn't just the reactionary opposite of people who don't like what you like.

Have you SEEN how many tickets they sell? Its not that crazy for me to assume that you, or him or anyone bought a ticket to those flicks.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Have you SEEN how many tickets they sell? Its not that crazy for me to assume that you, or him or anyone bought a ticket to those flicks.

Your assumption is just a fallacious misdirection. You have to assume because you don't know, and because your assumption is predicated upon your misapprehension that deflection from a criticism of a specific subject, no matter how specific or vague, towards passive criticism of another subject constitutes effective argumentation.

The kicker is that the posts previous to yours actually have nothing to do with the perceived 'originality' of the subject. The subtext of your 'assumptions' is that you're just making things up.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Thanks for your post, i don't mind the criticism it makes me a better weapon next time :) I also appreciate your verbosity, just a fun post to read.

Unless i'm STILL misunderstanding, you're saying that originality wasn't part of the discussion. Yes, i agree i brought it in, but i thought it was a commonly held belief that entertainment product today is too based on older content because it makes it 10% safer financially, and that people would appreciate weird poo poo like a walrus movie, instead of a "Rocket power" live action remake. Yes nobody was talking about fraudulent nickelodeon remakes, but i think we all agree dumb poo poo like that is coming soon and that we really wish it wasnt. I admit to making assumptions but i thought they were safe ones. Kevin smith may not be or have ever been a good filmmaker, but i move that he can always be called original. (Except for Zach and miri of course)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 29, 2015

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Unless i'm STILL misunderstanding, you're saying that originality wasn't part of the discussion. Yes, i agree i brought it in, but i thought it was a commonly held belief that entertainment product today is too based on older content because it makes it 10% safer financially, and that people would appreciate weird poo poo like a walrus movie, instead of a "Rocket power" live action remake. Yes nobody was talking about fraudulent nickelodeon remakes, but i think we all agree dumb poo poo like that is coming soon and that we really wish it wasnt.

Again, you're just making a bunch of assumptions that, while possibly true, is at best tangential to what is being criticized.

Like, let's un-package these assumptions for the sake of argument. What would it matter if it was a commonly held belief that there's too much "fraudulent" content and not enough "originality"? Is this belief true, or is it not? And how does this relate to Tusk being in and of itself good? No Country for Old Men is based off of a pre-existing intellectual property. 2001 was written as a film simultaneous to its being written as a novel, both works implicitly supporting the other artistically, though almost certainly financially. The gulf of quality between these things and The Avengers is so great that it renders the industrial means by which they were created a mute point. Clearly, being based off of a pre-existing intellectual property isn't indicative of quality, or even of originality. Starship Troopers and Gus Vant Sant's Psycho are extremely different from what they are based upon, and, in the latter case, eulogistically follow. It's a false dichotomy that implicitly obscures basic literacy and criticism of cinema itself. It treats all tastes as essentially arbitrary and linked to a priori value judgments.

Hence, you initial misdirection: People complain about originality in Tusk and Kevin Smith movies, but I bet they have no problem sitting through The Avengers 2. It turns out nobody made this argument, or even particularly cares about Age of Ultron. These things haven't been brought up because to the people who are negatively critical of Tusk, it has nothing to do with the intrinsic qualities of the film. This is actually true. Beneath the fallacy of the position is an implicit consent to what is hated - this hypothetical and under-defined problem of 'unoriginal' movies - because it actually excuses one's ability to like anything with no particular discernment or taste. Ironically, there was a lot of this in the comic book movie megathread (the de facto MCU thread), but it's abated now that people are actually comparing and contrasting cinematography between films and realizing, "Oh, hey, good composition is a thing and not just a matter of sticking a schmuck in a costume in front of a camera."

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Your assumption is just a fallacious misdirection. You have to assume because you don't know, and because your assumption is predicated upon your misapprehension that deflection from a criticism of a specific subject, no matter how specific or vague, towards passive criticism of another subject constitutes effective argumentation.
O_O

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I KNOW RIGHT?

It feels like i've seen a HTTP UFO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

KEVIN SMITH DIRECTED SOMETHING FOR MARVEL!

Less exciting, it's just an ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8m-NxpUIP0

Plus side, I liked it.

Too bad DC already made the best commercial of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9XhC0WB0aw

• Locked thread