Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

𝕴𝕿𝕬𝕷𝕴𝕮 𝕭𝕷𝕬𝕮𝕶𝕷𝕰𝕿𝕿𝕰𝕽

whoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

my onboard audio died and I bought one of those dumb audigy 5rxwhatever cards and I have it hooked up to a sony head unit with a 5.1 system. configured the windows audio for the 5.1 setup and turned off full-range speaker mode whatever so the low stuff get redirected to the subwoofer because the satellites aren't very good. if I'm watching flash video or listening to pandora or something the lows are redirected correctly but if I am in itunes or wmp nothing goes to the woofer what the hell is going on I hate this poo poo

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
why the gently caress does my virtual box keep fresh booting to this poo poo:

i literally had it work and boot to the install thingy like an hour ago but now whenever i make a new vm w/ this loving ubuntu desktop iso, it just does this poo poo before i can even do anything.
this is why ill never be a sysadmin, its too loving annoying

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

obstipator posted:

i literally had it work and boot to the install thingy like an hour ago but now whenever i make a new vm w/ this loving ubuntu desktop iso, it just does this poo poo before i can even do anything.
this is why ill never be a sysadmin, its too loving annoying

i had this exact problem:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/541006/ubuntu-14-10-does-not-install-in-virtualbox

quote:

Hit Right Ctrl+F1 (you will see the shell) and then Right Ctrl+F7. You are good to proceed with the installation.

linux :rolleye:

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

lol holy poo poo thanks

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

This, this is art.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

your ubuntu is a piece of poo poo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

obstipator posted:

because you're too cheap for vmware

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

obstipator posted:

lol holy poo poo thanks

:tipshat:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

vmware player is free, he doesn't even have that excuse

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Forums Terrorist posted:

vmware player is free, he doesn't even have that excuse
vmware player is real bad

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

anthonypants posted:

vmware player is real bad

it doesn't even do snapshots, right?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Virtualbox is needs-suiting for general fuckery

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I installed microsofts virtual machine

Got a bios screen a nd was all "thats p cool" and then just closed it because i have no idea what to do with it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Panty Saluter posted:

I installed microsofts virtual machine

Got a bios screen a nd was all "thats p cool" and then just closed it because i have no idea what to do with it

attach a disk image to boot from

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cocoa Crispies posted:

when i am using a linux, i expect my virtual machine software to be free as in freedom

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

obstipator posted:

when i am using a linux, i expect my virtual machine software to be free as in freedom

why not use kvm/qemu on Linux lol

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
we have to roll out various versions of windows server on a bunch of servers around here. the overall goal is to get it to install windows with the various settings that we need (some services.msc / windows firewall stuff / remote desktop configuration) as well as have it assign a static ip address... what is the best way to do this? for the most part we are installing Windows 2008 Web or Standard edition... but since we do these installs like every day, it is getting to be a real pain in the rear end doing them manually. is there a way to pre-configure it with either PXE and / or custom installation iso in order to do this?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

use WDS

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

WDS requires that the host server be part of an activedirectory domain, which we don't use...

is there a way to simply make an image of the installed OS and install from that without being joined to a domain? google is not particularly optomistic about using WDS without one

is there an alternative to WDS?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

du -hast posted:

WDS requires that the host server be part of an activedirectory domain, which we don't use...

is there a way to simply make an image of the installed OS and install from that without being joined to a domain? google is not particularly optomistic about using WDS without one

sure you could use SCCM instead of WDS

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

comedy option: DRBL + clonezilla with puppet for postinstall

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
if you're going to be the kind of idiot who not only doesn't use active directory for your windows servers but also installs windows server daily by hand, you probably don't care about whether or not all your SIDs are the same so yeah just use clonezilla to dd yourself a disk image

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

du -hast posted:

dare we ask what sort of idiot hellfucker setup you have which involves lots of windows systems but no active directory?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

i'm having a really weird problem one Mac and a windows DHCP server. whenever the user comes into the office the computer requests IP address, gets one from the server, and then three seconds later request a new one. The user does not have this problem with other DHCP servers in other locations, and other Macs and other devices do not have this problem with our DHCP server. this happens regardless of the NIC being used by the user, either physical or wireless NIC.

the workaround is the user sets a manual ip when in the office. 😕

server: 2008r2 DC/DHCP.
workstation: MacBook Air running Yosemite.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Nintendo Kid posted:

attach a disk image to boot from

Tried win10 32 bit and it crashed. I think it may be because i can only allocate 3gb of ram but idk. Maybe i wull try a lunix later

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Panty Saluter posted:

Tried win10 32 bit and it crashed. I think it may be because i can only allocate 3gb of ram but idk. Maybe i wull try a lunix later

are you using virtual pc from windows 7? i don't think it supports windows 10 at all.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Nintendo Kid posted:

are you using virtual pc from windows 7? i don't think it supports windows 10 at all.

Yes i am. Trying to anyway. Guess ill find another os to try

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SO DEMANDING posted:

dare we ask what sort of idiot hellfucker setup you have which involves lots of windows systems but no active directory?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SO DEMANDING posted:

i'm gonna guess it's a testing cluster for some install process that requires a fresh install but they don't want to just use a VM that they rewind for some dumb reason

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

how much memory should I allocate for a 2012r2 domain controller these days for a network with maybe 50 computers total? I figure 2gb is tight, but 3-4gb should be plenty right?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
4 cause ram is cheap. if memory is tight for w/e reason just don't dedicate all 4 to the guest

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

its a bit stupid because its a cluster for a scada system and the vendor is picking the hardware (some kind of cisco server) and they're capping the per-host memory at 128gb even though it could support more and if I ask too much it means another whole host along with all the additional hardware and licensing costs

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

i have a 2008r2 dc for 900 computers and it stays at ~3gb used 4 should be fine

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

its a bit stupid because its a cluster for a scada system and the vendor is picking the hardware (some kind of cisco server) and they're capping the per-host memory at 128gb even though it could support more and if I ask too much it means another whole host along with all the additional hardware and licensing costs

I wouldn't go below 4 for any 2008+ server, but again you don't have to dedicate all 4 cause it definitely wont use all 4 all the time if at all.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

if you need a windows 7 image to do an install, they're gone from digitalriver again. Mirrored here.
http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

how much memory should I allocate for a 2012r2 domain controller these days for a network with maybe 50 computers total? I figure 2gb is tight, but 3-4gb should be plenty right?

2 is fine you def don't need more than 4

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

du -hast posted:

wds is great so why not just create a domain just to use for wds server. you don't need to have the imaged servers join automatically.

you can also use winpe to boot and image from usb - no server or domain required.

also why aren't you virtualizing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

maybe he works for a web hosting company