Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Supersonic Shine posted:

So who's going to spill their guts about how much Wonder Woman sucks? Let's complete the trinity here, people.

Literally no one has ever been able to give her a distinct identity and every single incarnation of her that isn't one-dimensional patriotic propaganda and cheesecake is a sad attempt to reinvent her, to the point that no one can tell you what personality traits she has besides "strong" "brave" and "woman".

How was that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Wonder Woman comics, much like conservatism, cannot fail, only be failed.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I never got whether WW was an ambassador of peace or a powerful warrior who will fight til her dying breath. I blame the writers.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Madkal posted:

I never got whether WW was an ambassador of peace or a powerful warrior who will fight til her dying breath. I blame the writers.

She's both. Don't blame the writers.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wonder Woman rules

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Literally no one has ever been able to give her a distinct identity and every single incarnation of her that isn't one-dimensional patriotic propaganda and cheesecake is a sad attempt to reinvent her, to the point that no one can tell you what personality traits she has besides "strong" "brave" and "woman".

How was that?
Yeah, that's good. Anyway, time to turn back this derail. Don't have any especially badass panels, so this will have to do:

(Avengers: Rage of Ultron)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Dan Didio posted:

She's both. Don't blame the writers.

I was being facetious. No real problems from me for WW.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Supersonic Shine posted:

Yeah, that's good. Anyway, time to turn back this derail. Don't have any especially badass panels, so this will have to do:

(Avengers: Rage of Ultron)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-XEINagmaU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Madkal posted:

Modern interpretations have tried to argue that she inherited both Ares and Athena's aspects of war-- that of regulated, tactical, necessary war; and brutal, rage-filled, senseless war. Its definitely hard to balance those in a good way, so she tends to veer towards one direction .

(As a BroGoddess in New Frontier, as a crazed WarDevil in Flashpoint, as an aloof Ambassador in JLU).

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

~DAWN OF THE THIRD DAY~

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Vision is a dick for using these holographic keyboards - he is a robot and does not need any means of physical input, but he decides to show off before his teammates;

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

Vision is a dick for using these holographic keyboards - he is a robot and does not need any means of physical input, but he decides to show off before his teammates;

He's a synthezoid, actually. He's more synthetic organism than machine. Except when writers forget.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

He's a synthezoid, actually. He's more synthetic organism than machine. Except when writers forget.

(Still, it was a pretty impressive and unsettling page when I read it.)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Opopanax posted:

muscles like this? posted:

No, see, just like Kryptonians are normal on their homeworld and indestructible on Earth so is anything they make. Because mhmhmhmh

Something something unstable molecules

... and that's why Krypton exploded. It was unstable.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

fatherboxx posted:

Now I'm reminded of Blade Wolf from Metal Gear Rising.

Raiden: You're a AI. Can't you just hack their computer.

Blade Wolf: I could, if you gave me a Keyboard. And hands.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

Hell, it still is.

I always wondered why the had the muscle and organs and misc other stuff in PROTECTED VATS but just left his skin kinda hanging on the table like it's no big thing.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

prefect posted:

That's HORRIFIC. What's this from?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

prefect posted:

That one scientist on the right is holding a huge tank full of liquid and other material with one hand in an extremely precarious overhand grip, he must be swole as hell

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Hell, it still is.

I always wondered why the had the muscle and organs and misc other stuff in PROTECTED VATS but just left his skin kinda hanging on the table like it's no big thing.

Didn't they give him a new skin after that incident?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wachter posted:

That's HORRIFIC. What's this from?

John Byrne's run on West Coast Avengers/Avengers West Coast, issues 42-45. That run set in place most of the "Wanda is completely insane" foundation that gave us Avengers Disassembled, House of M, et cetera.

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't they give him a new skin after that incident?

Same skin, but it had faded due to something in the stress of being removed and disconnected. He became the pale-yellow/white stick-of-butter Vision.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

prefect posted:

John Byrne's run on West Coast Avengers/Avengers West Coast, issues 42-45. That run set in place most of the "Wanda is completely insane" foundation that gave us Avengers Disassembled, House of M, et cetera.

This is super hosed up

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
If that was a meatbag being vivisected, no way that would have made it onto the shelves. Robo-racism in action, my friends.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Didn't the Transformers comic get away with a ridiculous amount of gruesomeness because the characters were technically vehicles and robots, so having them be dismembered or shredded on panel wasn't considered a breach of whatever comics code?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

prefect posted:

It was also Byrne going that a robot can not have humanity and that is the creators original intent, when in fact Visions whole character was that he was a robot with humanity.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 9, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's how Samurai Jack was able to get away with its cartoon violence; Jack only ever chopped up robots and got doused head to toe in their blood and gore oil.

It's a shame Byrne's WCA run turned out like it did (i.e. "Only I know how these characters are supposed to work, for I am John Byrne, and you're all gonna sit down, shut up and like it") because it had some of his best art at the same time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's a shame Byrne's WCA run turned out like it did (i.e. "Only I know how these characters are supposed to work, for I am John Byrne, and you're all gonna sit down, shut up and like it") because it had some of his best art at the same time.

I was just reading this, about John Byrne's original plans for the Scarlet Witch: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2006/05/18/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-51/

Sounds like it could have been pretty interesting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

I was just reading this, about John Byrne's original plans for the Scarlet Witch: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2006/05/18/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-51/

Reminds me; it's pretty weird in retrospect that Black Knight was seemingly a hugely popular character in Avengers under Stern and Harras.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Ashcans posted:

Didn't the Transformers comic get away with a ridiculous amount of gruesomeness because the characters were technically vehicles and robots, so having them be dismembered or shredded on panel wasn't considered a breach of whatever comics code?

This:

gave me goddamn nightmares as a kid.

*shudders*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

prefect posted:

Same skin, but it had faded due to something in the stress of being removed and disconnected. He became the pale-yellow/white stick-of-butter Vision.

Yeah, and acted more robotic and boring than he ever had before because Byrne was under the delusion that he knew the TRUE INTENT of the character, just like everything else he did in the 90s. I think most people who hate Vision probably know him from that era exclusively, because he had basically no pathos or personality until he was restored to his traditional personality and look.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

prefect posted:

Meanwhile we establish that no, Vision absolutely does not have 'junk'.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I don't care for Vision but those are hardcore and effective panels.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm not positive, but I don't think I've ever read a comic with Vision in it. I did see his episodes of the not lovely Avengers cartoon that got canceled so they could have a lovely one instead.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

He got his sunburnt complexion back when he was body-swapped with a creepy alternate reality Vision by some guy named Proctor Creepy Alternate reality Black Knight. I'm not sure how many new bodies/reboots/retcons he's had since then. A dozen? More?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is he still a suit of fake future Iron Man armour?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Last I checked, Young Vision, hosted in said suit, died in Children's Crusade. It was then revealed that Tony Stark had been rebuilding Vision off-panel since Disassembled, and that he is now totally fine, even though he was a melted puddle last time he was seen.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

Last I checked, Young Vision, hosted in said suit, died in Children's Crusade. It was then revealed that Tony Stark had been rebuilding Vision off-panel since Disassembled, and that he is now totally fine, even though he was a melted puddle last time he was seen.

I call bullshit on this, because Tony Stark is a great engineer, but not the kind of scientist who could build a synthezoid. :spergin:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

prefect posted:

I call bullshit on this, because Tony Stark is a great engineer, but not the kind of scientist who could build a synthezoid. :spergin:

He's smart, in comic book terms that means he knows everything.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

prefect posted:

Creating, probably not, but rebuilding him? I can buy that, they most likely ran hundreds if not thousands of scans on Vision over the years, giving him a lot of info. Not to mention the possibility of consulting with the likes of Reed Richards, but of course Tony's ego wouldn't let him admit to doing that.

:goonsay:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

prefect posted:

It was totally bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The only good thing to come out of it was him having a big WTF look on his face upon seeing Red Hulk randomly standing there, eating out of a giant bowl of cereal.

"Oh by the way, there's a Red Hulk now."