Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

quote:

Most Siberian Huskies used for weight pull competitions can pull 600-1000lbs from a dead standstill pulling on a sledge/simulated sled environment. An adult male Alaskan Malamute can pull around 0.5-1.5 tons of weight (1,000-3,000 pounds), depending on build and training.

:stare:

Yeah, maybe that isn't such a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

Well, just had my last glass of water and snack before my fasting has to start for surgery. Just a simple knee surgery but I'm honestly loving nervous, mostly about the goddamn tube going down my throat.

Oh well, too late now. 1030 show and 1230 under the knife tomorrow :v:

If you're like me, you won't be remotely awake for the intubation. I had a hernia repair a few years back and I distinctly remember the initial injections as they wheeled me off, getting transferred from the gurney to the table, and then a warning of "okay, this one might burn a little...". I started to say "more than a little" but I was blacked out by halfway through "than".

Woke up a few hours later groggy as gently caress and yelling very loudly about a very painful reaction my skin had with the drat disinfectant.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

He also has a loving awesome Boxer. He opened the door and said "watch out he bites!" as his dog ran up to me wagging his tail; I just laughed, knelt down, and started scratching a dog that appeared to be very, very content. I seriously wanted to take that dog home with me. :allears:

The next time I see his address pop up, it'll be a knock down drag out to see who gets to take that order.

I wish my delivery dog stories were that nice. Mine vary from painful to sad. I once got punched in the nuts by a 100 pound fluff ball who was trying to climb me and lick my face. Bastard didn't make a peep when I rang the bell so I wasn't expecting it. After the people stopped laughing and got him back inside they tried to get a discount because I dropped the pizza (still in the bag/box).

One time a boxer broke some decorative glass on the door trying to attack me when I pulled up. It was hilarious to me but the owner was probably annoyed.

Another time one chased my car down the street while I was looking for an address. He caught the car and bit my bumper. I'd have been more annoyed but karma struck back quick and tragically in that case. Sorry about your lovely owners dog, but leash laws exist for a reason. :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Oh trust me, I've been nipped by my share of ankle biters. All of them have "just" been a nip though. I've gotten a hell of a lot better at reading dogs because of that, and it's generally easy for me to tell if a dog is going to be lovely or friendly. If I know it'll be lovely, I immediately turn my side to the dog, which seems to confuse them a bit. If I can tell it's friendly, I've got one hand out ready to scratch them (also for them to sniff, since most dogs won't let you touch them until they've sniffed your hand a bit).

If there's a dog outside, I don't even bother stopping for the delivery - I call them and say I won't do the delivery because there's a dog outside, but they're welcome to meet me in my car if they feel safe around the dog.

Probably the oddest dog story involved one that ran out and jumped on me... while pissing on my shoe. Can't fault the dog, it was very young, and obviously excited to see someone. I was more annoyed at the owner who just laughed and said "yeah he does that" then tipped me $2, while I had a shoe soaked in dog piss. Thankfully, I keep an extra change of clothes in the car all the time, including shoes and socks, but I always made that customer meet me at the curb after that.

I really don't post the negative stories much, even though they're usually far and few between, unless one really, really stands out. I'd rather stay positive. The job sucks rear end, but if I focused on the negative aspects, I would have killed myself years ago.

And this boxer didn't make a peep either - the only noise he ever made was a "chuff" noise when I stopped scratching him, more of a "why the gently caress did you stoooooooooooooooooop?!?!?" noise. But most of the regulars know me, and by proxy, their dogs know me. There's one guy that has an awesome lab that always runs out with a rope toy in her mouth (same apartment complex as the lotto guy), and I always wind up throwing it back inside a few times, followed by getting licked to death before I leave (that dog also has the most bone chilling bark you'll ever hear when you knock on the door). Another regular has a massive (fat) corgi that's always trying to attack my shoelaces, then tries to remove my face via licking when I kneel down to say hello. Honestly, interacting with (most) dogs is one of the best parts of this job, followed by interacting with kids. Most of them anyway. Some of them are real shitheads, the majority are "OMGGGGG PIZZA MAN!!!".

edit: goddamnit. just tried to smoke 3+ month old :420:. I usually vape, so I don't taste a whole lot even when it's nasty. I had no idea how stale this poo poo was, I literally :barf:ed

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 9, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You Am I posted:

I remember watching it as a kid in the 80s

...do you remember the soundtrack being loving amazing? 56 seconds of pure :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h7Koco4wnU

Also to your man with the chubby wife, you know her better than anyone how she'll take you just bluntly mentioning she's fat. Losing weight is diet related though so as you're losing at the moment and feeling better maybe suggest looking into adjusting what you both eat on a day to day basis? She'd basically have to do zero work and she'd still lose weight, also you get to eat tasty food and maybe learn some cooking skills on the way.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

gently caress 2015.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fat wife: it is hilariously common that a guy will get it into his head to do a bit of working out/shaping up then immediately get upset the SO isn't following suit. Create opportunities but you cannot push someone into this. If you have a dog take it for walks. Occasionally ask if she'll come along. Find a new hobby that gets you both outdoors like archery.

Just telling someone they're a fatty fatty fat fat and shouldn't be won't work, ever.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I know it's a broken record in this place but holy hell, what kind of demonic possession are some of these people that post on Tumblr on? The absolute shitstorm of crazy honestly had me reaching for a crucifix. Otherkin and gently caress me the hole just goes waaaaaaay deeper from there.

I just blocked that whole shitstorm at the routers at work. We were wondering what someone was spending their time on and dear Lord, I'm regretting reading what pages they were. Hey, this is Something Awful and you do see a lot of hosed up messes as a result if you venture to FYAD and GBS and who the gently caress knows elsewhere (and of course sys admins see the firewall logs. I'm no stranger to some hosed up things people read on IT networks) but this....... I'm not joking, I honestly consider Tumblr proof positive demons are real and they are possessing people. This is just plain next level insanity.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Cat Terrist posted:

I know it's a broken record in this place but holy hell, what kind of demonic possession are some of these people that post on Tumblr on? The absolute shitstorm of crazy honestly had me reaching for a crucifix. Otherkin and gently caress me the hole just goes waaaaaaay deeper from there.

I just blocked that whole shitstorm at the routers at work. We were wondering what someone was spending their time on and dear Lord, I'm regretting reading what pages they were. Hey, this is Something Awful and you do see a lot of hosed up messes as a result if you venture to FYAD and GBS and who the gently caress knows elsewhere (and of course sys admins see the firewall logs. I'm no stranger to some hosed up things people read on IT networks) but this....... I'm not joking, I honestly consider Tumblr proof positive demons are real and they are possessing people. This is just plain next level insanity.

Tell me more. :allears:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I used to follow some of the tumblr threads on here until I realised I wasn't laughing at them anymore and they were actually making me miserable.
Eventually the "haha what a nut" runs thin as the torrent of horror from that place never slows down.

It is certainty some sort of eldritch abomination

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cat Terrist posted:

Check your privilege, some of us fat accepting non-cis scum have nothing better to do than to read pages and pages of uneducated and downright ignorant posts all day long :colbert:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

WHY HAVE YOU NOT GONE TO CHICOS TAOCS YET?! I mean, I know it's a love it or hate it, but if you hate it, you're not far from some of the best Mexican food in the country. L&J Cafe is loving awesome, by far the best Mexican food I've had in a restaurant, and right next to Concordia Cemetery (so lots of history if you're into that). If you have to stick close to base, Kiki's has been on Food Network multiple times - it's almost as good, but the atmosphere is full of newspaper articles and poo poo about how awesome they are, which kinda gets annoying.

Not allowed off post during premob :(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cat Terrist posted:

There's nowt so queer as folk.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

Well there goes all my Australian readership :(

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So my brothers car started on fire last week. He had some amp wires just sitting on the carpet in his trunk along with a half gallon of motor oil. When he was driving earlier he said his gauges were going crazy and was having other electrical problems and could smell something burning but didn't really look for the problem. Later in the day he went out to get some cigarettes, shouted "my cars on fire!" so I rushed outside. Nothing going on in the cabin expect for smoke, so we popped the hood. Nothing there so we popped the trunk and got blasted with a ton of smoke and we could tell something was sparking in the middle of it all. So we got some fire extinguishers and blasted it but because of the entirely melted motor oil container it kept jumping up and starting a 1 ft high fire. I'm using the extinguisher, my brothers at the engine looking for the battery to disconnect and my fathers calling 911. First responder gets here and they still cant find the battery so I look it up on my phone and the battery is in the drat trunk.

So the fire didn't spread beyond the 1 ft patch or so in the trunk, but the cabin still smelled pretty bad. That lucky gently caress got a $6000 check from his insurance just because the cleaning bill would've been too big.

So he doesn't have any other money, didn't start his new job yet (part time at a deli) and what does is he going to buy today? An awd bmw x5 with 162k miles.

Cage fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 9, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think it has less to do with tumblr and more to do with the fact that there is a growing segment of middle class kids coming out of high school that don't have a job and don't really know how the real world works and are stuck in an endless feedback loop where they all reassure each other's life views.

Tumblr is just the platform.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
I feel forward because i feel asleep in the shower. split my eyebrow open and fractured my nose. Talked to my oncologist, and we figured we should probably do blood transfusions after every radiation treatment. I look like a loving pirate now.

for content:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

fjelltorsk posted:

I feel forward because i feel asleep in the shower. split my eyebrow open and fractured my nose. Talked to my oncologist, and we figured we should probably do blood transfusions after every radiation treatment. I look like a loving pirate now.

for content:

We are all pulling for you. Get well!!!!!!!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

fjelltorsk posted:

Blood transfusions would be a good idea. Nothing like standing there then coming to a few minutes later wondering wtf just happened. If you do this in the Emergency room you do get rushed to the front of the line which is kind of nice.

Hang in there.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The Midniter posted:

We are all pulling for you. Get well!!!!!!!

Not as strong as gravity is :v:

Get well man.

IOC, that's what I was hoping. They said valium, milk of amnesia, and then the next thing I'll know is what the recovery room looks like. Off to surgery now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

IOC, that's what I was hoping. They said valium, milk of amnesia, and then the next thing I'll know is what the recovery room looks like. Off to surgery now.

I came out of anesthesia so slowly I couldn't tell you a drat thing about it. Honestly, they probably should've kept me longer for observation instead of sending me home with my very-pregnant wife.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

Not as strong as gravity is :v:

Get well man.

Ah, propofol, it or milk of the poppy. Love giving that poo poo.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

IOwnCalculus posted:

I came out of anesthesia so slowly I couldn't tell you a drat thing about it. Honestly, they probably should've kept me longer for observation instead of sending me home with my very-pregnant wife.

Did you go all loopy? I want to ban my wife from seeing me until I'm recovered just so she can't gently caress with me

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nah, after I got done yelling about how my skin was burning like hell (I seriously ended up with what was basically a really loving bad sunburn from betadine) I mostly was just passing back out and breathing really poorly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

never use 635, even late at night on a weeknight.

Yeah, just don't. I learned the same thing a while back.

CommieGIR posted:

I liked Interstellar so much, I printed the ship:

Neat!
Are those 3D prints of the robots from Silent running I see in the background, there?

Car stuff:
Oh, hey, it wasn't the alternator bearings making noise, which I only discovered after I bought the overrunning clutch pulley removal tool, because I'm too stupid to, you know, remove the belt and spin stuff by hand before buying tools/parts. At least I didn't buy a replacement alternator first: $200 new/rebuild, $80-90 used (200A cop stuff.) the tool was only $25.
Turned out to be the water pump bearing. Wasn't leaking yet. Oh, hey Ford, aluminum water pump in a cast iron block, which fits in closely with an o-ring seal. Let's not put any sort of grease or anti-seize on that, shall we? Even in Texas that thing took a lot of hammering on pry-bars to get out.
Now I just need to replace the EGR (actually, the DPFE, but it's integrated with the EGR assembly) to get rid of the P0401, get it inspecticated, then registered (title transfer already done), and I'm good. Love my P71.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I don't think these Wendy's Ghost Pepper Fries have real Ghost Peppers in them. Not that spicy.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Wow, my building at work is an incredibly effective Faraday cage.

I had already suspected it because our cellphones don't work for poo poo inside, but I brought my little portable radio today and was able to pick up one FM station. No AM, no shortwave, and just one FM. drat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cakefool posted:

Fat wife: it is hilariously common that a guy will get it into his head to do a bit of working out/shaping up then immediately get upset the SO isn't following suit. Create opportunities but you cannot push someone into this. If you have a dog take it for walks. Occasionally ask if she'll come along. Find a new hobby that gets you both outdoors like archery.

Just telling someone they're a fatty fatty fat fat and shouldn't be won't work, ever.

My ex (who put on 40lbs in the first year we lived together) lost her loving mind when I joined a gym. It got so bad that I had to quit going after two months because all she did was bitch about how she wasn't good enough anymore and other terrible poo poo.

Turns out she wasn't and I left her fatass.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I don't think these Wendy's Ghost Pepper Fries have real Ghost Peppers in them. Not that spicy.
I swear whenever I start dieting again something so terrible but awesome comes out that I can't eat.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I've been eating pretty healthy the past few months but it's not hard to coerce me to going out to eat during a work day.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

iwentdoodie posted:

Did you go all loopy? I want to ban my wife from seeing me until I'm recovered just so she can't gently caress with me

When I came out from under after my double hernia repair I was loving miserable. Confused and in mega pain. Once they doped me up again everything was fine.

I was super thrilled when they gave me the pictures showing the mesh they put in. Kept telling my wife how awesome it was now that I had chain mail built into my crotch.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I've been eating pretty healthy the past few months but it's not hard to coerce me to going out to eat during a work day.

The cheap-but-good Chinese restaurant downtown has a great $6 lunch special with 40 different choices. Two of my co-workers and I have decided to order everything on the menu over the course of a year, rating each one on a scale of 0-5. We had #16 this week, Chicken w/ Black Bean Sauce (rated 4.0/5).

So there's that once a week... and burritos down at the taqueria, or Indian buffet... goddamn I love work lunch, but if I eat out at lunch I have to be a lot more careful what I eat for dinner.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Neat!
Are those 3D prints of the robots from Silent running I see in the background, there?

Yes, they are. I'm not a huge fan, but my brother is, so I printed him a few for when he gets back into town.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The only time when I have been 100% under was when I was 7. The doc was super cool, he showed me the mask, told me it was OK to breathe the air coming out of it, and encouraged me to try it. Sure enough, it worked, the air was breathable. So then he said: "OK, we'll add the anesthetic, and it'll taste like liquorice. Try it again." So I did.

Next thing I remember is waking up in the recovery room. Sneaky basterd.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

can someone please explain why husky and golden retrievers are not on my apartments restricted list but Labrador retrievers are?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think Labs have developed a reputation as a bit of a biter, but I could be pulling that out of my rear end.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tusen Takk posted:

can someone please explain why husky and golden retrievers are not on my apartments restricted list but Labrador retrievers are?

My wife works at a high end dog training center and golden retrievers are one of the most frequent breeds they get for "dog almost ate someone's face and will be put down if this doesn't work" cases.

I would guess it's either breed popularity to turn away existing dog owners or else they had some really bad experiences with lab owners in the past.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tusen Takk posted:

almost all apartment and rental rules about dogs are 100% arbitrary bullshit. as if small dogs dont poo poo, piss and bark like loving maniacs, but its okay cause you're under some sort of weight limit that has no basis in reality

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

My ex (who put on 40lbs in the first year we lived together) lost her loving mind when I joined a gym. It got so bad that I had to quit going after two months because all she did was bitch about how she wasn't good enough anymore and other terrible poo poo.

Turns out she wasn't and I left her fatass.

haha, sounds like my ex wife. I worked in the yards, so I never really gained weight, as I was pretty physically active (these days not so much - I need to get after myself) But she was always doing the thing of the day which included:

-Buying her a elliptical to the tune of 800 bucks that was used exactly 5 times
-Zumba work outs to the tune of 200 bucks and was used 3 times
-A gym membership that was used exactly 4 times (I dont remember the cost)
-A YMC membership that was only used the day she signed up

Ugh, what a frustrating woman. Never happy, constantly wanting more and never happy with what she had.

Sorry for E/N here.... that was uncalled for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nah it's cool. We all have an unhappy fat woman in our past.

Except STR maybe.

• Locked thread