Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

I just started watching classic Who using suggestions in the first post.

100,000 BC was OK but dragged on
The Mutants (not suggested) had way too much padding with leaving the city/going back/etc.
Tomb of the Cybermen was excellent except for silly looking and difficult to understand Cybermen, I like Two a lot
Spearhead from Space not bad, but apparently no Tardis adventures = what's the point. Three is good though.
Robots of Death was surprisingly good, I would say intriguing more than scary. Four was fun. "Jelly Babies?" made me LOL.
City of Death (not suggested but everyone was recommending it recently) Well executed, especially with Glover being in all time streams at once.
Kinda I hate Adric too, almost to the point where I'd avoid any episode with him. Celery stick distracting.

So favorite Doctors so far would be Two and Four respectively. Best companion is obviously Romana.

Any suggestions on what to watch next?

Since you like Troughton you need to watch Enemy of the World which is fantastic. Sadly, he's the Doctor who suffers the most from missing episodes with a lot of his best stories missing and most of the ones that survive are not very good. Web of Fear is nifty but one episode is missing. I enjoy Seeds of Death. The War Games is the biggest surviving Doctor Who epic, but at ten episodes it does go on a bit too long.

To give you a better taste of Pertwee, I'm going to recommend watching The Sea Devils. It's not his best story, but it's gloriously over the top.

Tom Baker is easier to recommend episodes for. Genesis of the Daleks is a must watch. The Brain of Morbius, Horror of Fang Rock, and Pyramids of Mars are also a lot of fun.

And if you hate Adric, then you need to watch Earthshock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I guess I would say, Four seemed to have the best stories, though I only watched one Two which was also good. So both, and maybe similar good stories for Six/Seven?

Six got a rum deal on TV and his stories are almost universally bad, to be honest. The Two Doctors might be palatable for you because it has Two in it, but it's pretty bad.

For Seven, I recommend The Happiness Patrol to get a feel for him (and it has a little of the zaniness of Four's era, although that kind of disappears after Four) but his last season is overall quite good (Ghostlight has a reputation for being confusing and impenetrable, though).

e:

Random Stranger posted:

And if you hate Adric, then you need to watch Earthshock.

Instead, watch the ending to Earthshock on Youtube, with Yakkety Sax playing over it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I can't figure out how to share it here, but the Doctor Who Facebook page has an awesome video of Capaldi showing up to the Doctor Who Experience in character and answering a kid's question about what his favorite face was, and Peter Capaldi's hair is really long and he looks insane which is awesome and he's basically the goddamn best.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TL posted:

I can't figure out how to share it here, but the Doctor Who Facebook page has an awesome video of Capaldi showing up to the Doctor Who Experience in character and answering a kid's question about what his favorite face was, and Peter Capaldi's hair is really long and he looks insane which is awesome and he's basically the goddamn best.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMi8c8uglmI

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

After The War posted:

I just finished The Dark Husband the other day, and it works pretty well as a comedic Seven/Ace/Hex story where they keep trying to figure out what his masterplan is. It's pretty much Doctor Who does Red Dwarf - Hex is essentially Dave Lister through most of it.

I adore The Dark Husband. I don't think I've ever made it past the first episode of Red Dwarf, so I can't make that comparison, but to me it felt a lot like a Robert Holmes script minus the cynicism. It's just really endlessly clever. It nails the Ace-Hex relationship, too.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

That's longer than the one on Facebook but even more amazing. He's a treasure.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Dark Husband is okay, but parts 3 and 4 feel a bit stretched. The twists and solution at the end feel like they're drawn out across 20 minutes when they could have happened in five.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Fil5000 posted:

And let's not forget UNIT: Dominion.

I won't get to A Thousand Tiny Wings before I plan to listen to UNIT: Dominion. Am I still good to go?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rochallor posted:

I adore The Dark Husband. I don't think I've ever made it past the first episode of Red Dwarf, so I can't make that comparison, but to me it felt a lot like a Robert Holmes script minus the cynicism. It's just really endlessly clever. It nails the Ace-Hex relationship, too.

Then you absolutely need to catch the rest of Red Dwarf, especially if you like Hex going on about lager.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

I won't get to A Thousand Tiny Wings before I plan to listen to UNIT: Dominion. Am I still good to go?

Ehhhhh, maybe. I guess if you've heard Colditz you can go into Dominion but it works better after Wings/Fittest/Architects.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Any suggestions on what to watch next?

The Mind Robber, The Silurians (definitely break this up over a week), The Ark in Space, Earthshock, Vengeance on Varos, Paradise Towers. Build high for happiness!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

CobiWann posted:

Dominion is a follow-on from Klein's story resolution in The Architects of History, where it basically spoils the events of her other stories. Obviously it's Who, so they briefly explain stuff, and listening to it out of order still makes it clear enough.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

It's not fair how wonderful he is. I just want him to be in that crowd of children so much.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Fil5000 posted:

Ehhhhh, maybe. I guess if you've heard Colditz you can go into Dominion but it works better after Wings/Fittest/Architects.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Dominion is a follow-on from Klein's story resolution in The Architects of History, where it basically spoils the events of her other stories. Obviously it's Who, so they briefly explain stuff, and listening to it out of order still makes it clear enough.

Thanks! What I'll do then is get to The Girl Who Never Was, do the EDA's, listen to the Klein trilogy, then do UNIT: Dominion so I'm prepped for Dark Eyes.

I'm jumping all over chronology here, people!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

computer parts posted:

What are some good Seven audios other than Colditz? I want to explore him more, he's a devilish manipulator.

Robophobia. Seriously, everyone should listen to Robophobia.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Yes. Robophobia is amazing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is there any Classic Who on iPlayer or just the revival?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

I should probably get it. I like McCoy, I like Robots Of Death well enough, and I like Liv

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

computer parts posted:

What are some good Seven audios other than Colditz? I want to explore him more, he's a devilish manipulator.

It's a very early Big Finish story, but The Fearmonger is excellent, it feels like it comes straight out of McCoy's last season.

Capaldi :swoon::hf::allears:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

London, 1851.

Scene of the Great Exhibition of the Works of Industry of All Nations. Scene also of a plot to un-seat the government, de-throne the monarch and start a republic. If the Duke of Wellington himself is to be believed...

While the Doctor and Charley are drawn into the murky world of nineteenth-century politics, C'rizz struggles to maintain his dignity against growing odds. What begins as an attempt to prevent murder quickly becomes a desperate race to avert revolution. Separated from the TARDIS, the travellers are left to wonder if they'll get their own lives back or be forever entangled with the lives of others.

And who is Mrs Georgina Marlow? What need does she feel the Doctor can satisfy?

Paul McGann is the Doctor in Other Lives.

X X X X X

Cast
Paul McGann (The Doctor)
India Fisher (Charley)
Conrad Westmaas (C'rizz)
Ron Moody (The Duke of Wellington)
Michael Hobbs (Mr Fazackerly)
Mike Holloway(Jacob Crackles)
Peter Howe (Maxi)
Francesca Hunt (Georgina Marlow)
Maitland Chandler (Rufus Dimplesqueeze)

Written By: Gary Hopkins
Directed By: Gary Russell

Trailer - http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/popout/other-lives-243

X X X X X

Separating the Doctor and his companions is a time-honored tradition for Doctor Who.

Kidnappings, being jailed, doors closing, panels sliding shut, grabbing a random rope hanging from the sky, or just a general sense of curiosity; if it can keep the Doctor and the companions apart for most of an episode, the writers will do it.  Doing so, while cliché, can easily add a sense of drama and tension, as well as relief when the pair are reunited.  It can also add double the danger, double the exposition, and double the plotlines, for good or for ill.

Other Lives separates the Eighth Doctor, Charley, and C’rizz early on, each one experiencing their own story as they all find themselves portraying someone they’re not.  The script mixes light-hearted humor, social class commentary, and a Dickensian-style case of mistaken identity with a hint of political intrigue.  While the main cast and secondary characters all get their moments, the overall story suffers from a lack of urgency that fails to make the situations the main cast find themselves in hold any dramatic water.

Charley has always wanted to see the Great Exhibition of the Works of Industry of All Nations at the grand Crystal Palace in London, 1851.  The Doctor agrees to take her, but this means C’Rizz would have to stay inside the TARDIS and observe through a scanner, since Victorian London (“Dogs and Chinese stay off the grass”) isn’t quite ready for an alien.   What should be a grand tour of mankind’s most ingenious works takes a sudden turn, as the Doctor and Charley are separated, Charley convinces C’rizz to cover up and leave the TARDIS to help find the Doctor, and two French diplomats hide in the TARDIS to escape an assassin’s bullet…and the TARDIS decides that the best way to protect them is to dematerialize!  This leads to the Doctor being thrown out of the Crystal Palace and becoming reliant on the kindness of a woman who insists he’s her long lost husband, C’rizz being captured by a sideshow barker to take part in his display of freaks in Picadilly Circus, and Charley being mistaken for a prostitute before being thrown into the world of counter-revolutionary politics at the side of none other than the Duke of Wellington!

Gary Hopkins penned the solid and incredibly bleak Divergent Universe story The Last, a true “kill em all” anti-war tale that managed to convey its message without being overly preachy.  He set the scene of a blasted city, an underground bunker, and a decaying missile silo, all populated with doomed characters still clinging to delusions of power.   Hopkins sets another grand scene with Other Lives, the grand spectacle of the Great Exhibition mixed with the seedier side of London with its hidden shows and wide open spaces such as Hyde Park.  Hopkins also manages to establish the secondary characters, from the famous Duke of Wellington’s bravado mixed with his constant fear of Napoleon Bonaparte and French Revolution-style Republicanism to the barely-in-the-story-but-still-immensely-French Monsieur and Madame Le Roche.  Some characters get detailed work, some just get broad strokes, but even the more undefined characters still have a few moments that make them stand out when encountered again and again throughout the story…

…though, I have to say.  Rufus Dimplesqueeze?  Really?  That sounds like a child’s imaginary friend, not a Dickensian character!

The title of the story is appropriate, as the Doctor, Charley, and C'rizz all find themselves being asked to portray someone or something they're not. Paul McGann is more than up to the task in this story, and I completely understand why.  Other Lives feels like the first story in a while where McGann gets the chance to actually ACT.  Although I fault his ease at leaving C’rizz alone in the TARDIS so Charley can have a grand time, that’s the only complaint I have with McGann’s performance and I can lay that blame at the script’s foot.  What we have here is a Doctor who is completely over his head very early on and has a very HARD time talking his way out of it for once!  Listeners are used to the Doctor being quick with a word or a phrase, easily acclimating himself to a situation and boldly or subtly putting himself in charge.   In Other Lives, however, the Doctor’s attempts to use conversation as a weapon simply fail to work.  He professes innocence to the attempted assassination of the Le Roches, but finds himself kicked out of the Great Exhibition for not having a ticket…and for once, can’t talk his way back in!  The Doctor is reduced to parlor tricks and “the pebble is in which hand” games in order to raise a simple shilling in order to re-enter the Crystal Palace, only to get arrested.  In jail, the Doctor produces a skeleton key and lets his fellow prisoners out to facilitate a jail break, only for the gunmen from earlier to turn the tables and lock him back in his cell!   And that’s when Mrs. Georgina Marlow shows up to bail the Doctor out of jail for one simple reason – he’s her husband.  It turns out that Georgina’s husband disappeared a few years ago and the Doctor is nearly his spitting image.  While the Doctor does his best to dissuade Georgina of this fact, it soon comes to light that in order to help her, he has no choice but to pretend that her delusion is his reality.  Bouncing from “The Doctor” to “why doesn’t my bag of tricks work” to “I can’t believe I’m still in jail” to “I could be a family man,” McGann for the first time in a long time sounds like he’s enjoying himself and actually getting into the material.  I especially enjoyed that, while Georgina is trying to convince him to impersonate the love of her life, the Doctor is more concerned about the love of his life, his missing TARDIS…

We go from “Charlotte Pollard, Edwardian Adventuress” to “Charley, Victorian Tart/Harlot/Strumpet/Street Walker/Adventuress." Much like McGann, I enjoyed India Fisher in this story because, after a string of bland performances, Fisher sounds like she’s having a blast.  Whether it’s being kicked out of the Great Exhibition, mistaken for a prostitute by Mr. Dimplesqueeze (sigh…), being forced to impersonate a French diplomat despite having no command of the French language, or simply fangirling out at the sight of her personal hero, the Duke of Wellington (or, as she calls him, Arthur, to which the Duke’s beleaguered boduguard, Fazackerly, always responds with the proper title), Fisher is just flat out having fun with the part.  She worries about the Doctor and C’rizz, of course, but for the first time in a long time, Charley is actually enjoying the best part of being a Doctor’s companion; seeing new things and meeting new people brought about by throwing herself into a new situation.  Even though the actual storyline doesn’t go very far, I’m willing to overlook it, as Charley’s parts in Other Lives made me smile.  That’s the highest praise I can recall giving a Charley storyline in a year or so!

Considering Conrad Westmaas’ best performance was in The Last, it’s not surprising and very refreshing that Hopkins’ script gives him a chance to actually sink his teeth into his role this time out.  Granted, it’s the most straight forward of the storylines and one that requires a little suspension of disbelief – namely, the alien in a foreign universe willingly goes with a man who says he knows the Doctor and has no reaction to his purple skin.  C’rizz gets knocked out and placed into a sideshow at Picadilly Circus as “Ker-izzo,” alongside a midget named Maxi.  C’rizz’s storyline is basically “yell at Crackles, threaten him, almost escape, get stopped my Maxi, gets rescued by Charlie.”  But Westmaas sells the anger that has been bubbling underneath the surface for C’rizz for a few stories now.  His threats are much more believable than they were in Scaredy Cat, and his rage and momentary triumph when he finally gets his hands on Crackles stops the show for a moment.  It’s a stark contrast to the more lighthearted storyline Charley gets, which makes C’rizz’s impersonation of the Monsieur Le Roche and his discomfort with the whole routine a bit off-putting.  But when C’rizz lays eyes on Crackles one more time, it gives us a moment that practically defines the trope of “What the Hell, Hero?”  And…

…wait, hold on.  I’ve just been handed a letter.

quote:

"Some facts in life are immutable. One is, trust no-one who uses the word 'trope'." – Mark Gatiss

I’m sorry, I’ll write that again.

C’rizz and his “ghosts” from the very end of Terror Firma get a bit of a follow-up here as he inflicts a fate worse than death upon Crackles.  The scene is a MAJOR tonal shift from the rest of Other Lives and while it’s nice to hear Crackles gets his just desserts, it’s brutal, gruesome, and very out of place.  But I will take it as a sign that maybe there’s a bit of character development down the line for C’rizz in future audios. While the Doctor and Charley are asked to be someone they're not, perhaps C'rizz is finally getting ready to be who he truly is...

While the supporting cast stands out within the story, by the time Other Lives is over most of them AND their characters traits are quickly forgotten.  Hopkins uses broad, colorful strokes to create his characters, but there’s very little depth or background to any of them, other than the famous Duke of Wellington of course.  Ron Moody is best known for his Academy Award nominated performance in Oliver! as Fagin, but Whovians might know him as the actor who turned down a chance to be the Third Doctor.  Instead, Jon Pertwee became the dashing Doctor, and Moody has stated publically that he always regretted the decision.  Wellington is full of energy, even as he knows his time is drawing short.  There’s a vague background about Wellington being concerned about war with France and guillotines outside the Tower thanks to British Republican revolutionaries should the Le Roches not be found, but mainly his story gives Moody a chance to be loud, boisterous, and a bit weary when Charley lets slip that, despite all his hopes, the Great Exhibition doesn’t pull humanity into an age of peace.  Michael Hobbs plays the Victorian police officer Fazackerly who is assigned to Wellington during his visit to London, and he mixes the right proportion of Victorian airs, shocked and abhorred at Charley’s actions and casual disposition towards the Duke, as well as enforcing the law when the Doctor can’t produce his ticket to the Exhibition!  Jacob Crackles is a one-note…I wouldn’t say villain, more of an antagonist…in this story, but he definitely nails that one note, that of “amoral sideshow barker.”  Maxi, played by Peter Howe, is a neat little character…oh, God, I swear, I did NOT mean that pun…in that he’s happy to be in the sideshow.  He’s warm, and he’s fed, and as a midget, that’s the best he can hope for in Victorian England.  Howe plays his fear and nervousness well, but when Maxi turns the tables on Crackles at the very end in his new state, his glee at his situation makes one wonder if Maxi was just making the best of a bad hand or if something lurks a bit beneath the surface, adding to the jarring tone of that scene.  Maitland Sandler, aka Seo, the head of the Somnus Foundation in Singularity is Rufus Dimp…Rufus Dimple…Rufus Dimplesquee…

No, I won't type it, I won't, I won't!

…Rufus Dimplesqueeze, loud, crass, and wanting only the best for himself, whether its Charley’s “company” or Georgina’s house.  He’s fine for the part, I just didn’t care for the role.  Sleazeball?  Fine.  Sleazeball buying the Doctor is Georgina’s husband after the Doctor almost flummoxed it up?  A bit too convenient for my taste.  And speaking of Ms. Georgina Marlow, aka Francesca Hunt, aka Hannah Barthlomew, future Fifth Doctor companion, aka India Fisher’s step-sister, she is in solid form early in her time with Big Finish.  She’s desperate to find her husband, not just because she loves him and misses him, but with him gone, Uncle Rufus Dimplesqueeze (SON OF A MOTHERLESS!) will have claim to her home, turning her and her children out into the street.  It’s a nice, understated moment about women in Victorian England, and one can see with Hunt’s quiet, desperate performance, done without going over the top or into melodrama just how badly she wants the Doctor to be her husband, and even though the Doctor knows it wrong and repeatedly says so, there’s something to McGann’s performance that you could imagine the Doctor, sans TARDIS, settling down, if only for a moment, and how desperate Georgina is to grab on to that thin thread and hang on for all she’s worth.

(Oh, yeah, the actors playing Georgina’s husband and Monsieur/Madam Le Roche sounded familiar.  Have I heard them somewhere before?)

Gary Russell and David Darlington deserve credit for bringing 1851 London to life in a grand manner as well with all kinds of sounds and backdrops, from the huge crowds at the expedition to the straw mats of Crackle’s jail cell to the empty house of Georgina Marlow.  Other Lives, however, suffers from a lack of urgency to its proceedings.  There’s plenty going on, with diplomats vanishing, the TARDIS dematerializing, revolutionaries on the loose, a wife about to lose her home, a sentient being in a freakshow against his will, but at no point is there really any sense of “what’s going to happen next?” Some have made the case that this serial harkens back to the William Hartnell days, with a focus more on the historical setting than any science fiction plot. That still doesn't mean that the story doesn't meander its way from point to point. The only show of real urgency is when the Duke of Wellington raises his voice (and even then, is he really worried about the French bringing a revolution to England’s shores, or just being an old man with Napoleon isseus?) or C’rizz gets angry during the sideshow.  Even the ending is like “oh, the TARDIS is back, the day is saved, hey, here’s your sappy happy conclusion.”  The performances are great, but the way the story unfolds just doesn’t give them the dramatic weight they should have. 

Quibbles aside, you can tell I had fun writing this review, because it’s great to actually hear a decent Eighth Doctor story and the cast enjoying themselves.  A vast improvement over Terror Firma and Scaredy Cat, Other Lives is worth a listen, especially if you’ve suffered through those two stories, because it’s such a needed breath of fresh air for Eight, Charley, and C’rizz, as well as Paul, India, and Conrad. Other Lives is a story whose details might be forgotten soon after a listen. But if you can keep your focus as the plot vaguely saunters from one scene to another, taking its sweet time, then this is the story for you, as you can sit back and enjoy the performances at your (and the plot’s) leisure.

Synopsis – Possessing a slow-paced but wandering plot, Other Lives still manages to give Eight, Charley, and C’rizz a much needed story that actually allows the actors to act, with the Doctor pondering life as a family man, Charley as a Victorian Adventuress, and C’rizz showing his dark side after being pushed too far.  3/5

Next up - "Ere, listen listen, I've got one for you. There once was this bloke, you see. Good-looking sort of chap. Lovely, brightly coloured coat. No rubbish. Quality gear. Never bought a drink neither... or so they say.."

Colin Baker is the Doctor in...Pier Pressure

Dimplesqueeze

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's such a weird story, it's so light-hearted and the contrivances of the plot are so ridiculous that in the end I (and the characters!) seemingly decided "gently caress it" and just rolled with everything coming their way, but then there's these really dark moments sprinkled throughout that either get played for laughs or are just straight up cruel/unsettling that mesh really poorly with the rest of the story.

And those names :stare: - I thought Fazackerly was bad, but then along came Dimplesqueeze. These are names that belong in a far more openly comedic farce than this story provides.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Continuing with series eight, and I have to ask: How did they manage to clone Anthony Ainley for "Robots of Sherwood?"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Continuing with series eight, and I have to ask: How did they manage to clone Anthony Ainley for "Robots of Sherwood?"

very carefully

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

So the Doctor performed some Venusian Aikido and there's an Ainley-clone. This is dumb fun.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

And those names :stare: - I thought Fazackerly was bad, but then along came Dimplesqueeze. These are names that belong in a far more openly comedic farce than this story provides.

Yeah, "Dimplesqueeze" has joined "World War Z was a good movie" on my list of trigger phrases.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I still can't believe that was Ben Miller, I didn't recognize him at all... perhaps because he was, as you correctly noted, actually Anthony Ainley.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

He came back to chew scenery and play cricket. And he's all out of scenery.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Spearhead from Space not bad, but apparently no Tardis adventures = what's the point. Three is good though.

I have the same feeling about that era. If you remove the tardis you remove a big part of the show and i can't get into the pertwee era because of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

On the other hand, I love the UNIT "family" feel that develops with the Doctor being stuck in one time/place for any length of time, and it allows for some neat stuff with the Doctor grumpily experimenting on the console trying to work around the gaps in his memory the Time Lords shoved into place. It also makes for a pretty neat longer term (though probably unintentional) thing where the Doctor spends every moment he's "stuck" on Earth trying to escape, and the very second he's able to once again travel in time and space and go anywhere/anywhen in the universe, he CHOOSES to return to that time/place to hang out some more with his UNIT buddies :3:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

On the other hand, I love the UNIT "family" feel that develops with the Doctor being stuck in one time/place for any length of time, and it allows for some neat stuff with the Doctor grumpily experimenting on the console trying to work around the gaps in his memory the Time Lords shoved into place. It also makes for a pretty neat longer term (though probably unintentional) thing where the Doctor spends every moment he's "stuck" on Earth trying to escape, and the very second he's able to once again travel in time and space and go anywhere/anywhen in the universe, he CHOOSES to return to that time/place to hang out some more with his UNIT buddies :3:

Yeah, the Pertwee era is a fun run to me. James Bond with time travel. I kind of hope they'll do a season sooner or later where he's trapped on Earth for at least six episodes. That could be fun.

Edit: It could be terrible too, let's not lie here.

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 9, 2015

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I think what the Pertwee era was trying to rectify, in hindsight, was that the show had lost its connection to anything the audience found familiar. You replace your regular contemporary companions like Ian and Barbara or Ben and Polly with people from far in the past or future. The Pertwee UNIT family is kind of an over-correction of that. But with how connected the modern Doctor is to real people through his companions (even going back to Seven in the classic series) I think that problem has basically been solved. At least for budgetary reasons as anything else the Doctor spends a bunch of time on Earth.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rochallor posted:

I think what the Pertwee era was trying to rectify, in hindsight, was that the show had lost its connection to anything the audience found familiar. You replace your regular contemporary companions like Ian and Barbara or Ben and Polly with people from far in the past or future. The Pertwee UNIT family is kind of an over-correction of that. But with how connected the modern Doctor is to real people through his companions (even going back to Seven in the classic series) I think that problem has basically been solved. At least for budgetary reasons as anything else the Doctor spends a bunch of time on Earth.

As I recall, it was mainly just an attempt at reining in the budget; by setting the whole thing on a modern(ish) Earth they could save money on sets. You might also be right, of course, but the stated reason has always been cost.

The Pertwee years did not actually scale down in cost, for the record. It was, if anything, even more expensive.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Rochallor posted:

I think what the Pertwee era was trying to rectify, in hindsight, was that the show had lost its connection to anything the audience found familiar.

Also to put the Doctor in a more restrictive context so the deux ex machina aspect gets toned down, both literally and figuratively.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Just heads up; Big Finish has moved the release day of the novel adaptations of The Well-Mannered War and Damaged Goods from May to . . . Monday!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Okay, I've raved about Big Finish's sound design before, but I'm doing Haunting of Thomas Brewster and... are you sure they're not in my office? Like, right now? Goons, is that you? CobiWan... Jerusalem?!

I'm not even here by myself! On a decent set of headphones, it's that good

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Cleretic posted:

As I recall, it was mainly just an attempt at reining in the budget; by setting the whole thing on a modern(ish) Earth they could save money on sets. You might also be right, of course, but the stated reason has always been cost.

IIRC the main problem was needing to economise in order to fund the switch from black and white to colour; they also had their episode count cut in half from 52 to 26, and Barry Letts was allowed to experiment with this strange newfangled idea he'd had about doing all his recording sessions by set or location within a story, instead of episode-by-episode within a story.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I still hold, as I near the end of the Third Doctor's era, that whatever they did for the Third Doctor worked.

The first season of the Third Doctor is absolutely perfect. Stand outs, all time favorites, and forgotten gems. Not a single one misses the mark and it all comes together to be the best season of Doctor Who, in my eyes.

Plus I mean, come on. Ambassadors

OF DEATH

Elevates just about anything.

TWANG.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

After The War posted:

Okay, I've raved about Big Finish's sound design before, but I'm doing Haunting of Thomas Brewster and... are you sure they're not in my office? Like, right now? Goons, is that you? CobiWan... Jerusalem?!

I'm not even here by myself! On a decent set of headphones, it's that good

The only problem with that one is that weird musical interlude they keep playing for small stretches of time. I got some new headphones just before I listened to it, I thought that was the reason the sound quality was so good. :v:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

After The War posted:

Goons, is that you? CobiWan... Jerusalem?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I would say that this is the best Tom Baker picture, but there are really so many to choose from.

• Locked thread