Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
Boy you guys are all WAY off, I'm about to lay down some Sojourner Truth on your collective behinds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwSZgLLqPy8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
America, y'all.

http://www.kmov.com/story/28745448/former-ferguson-city-court-clerk-who-sent-racist-emails-speaks-out

quote:

FERGUSON, Mo. (KMOV.com) - Former Ferguson City Court Clerk Mary Ann Twitty spoke to News 4 for the first time since being fired for sending racist emails.

Twitty was fired in early March after the Justice Department investigation into the city's law enforcement practices. Two police officers, Capt. Rick Henke and Sgt. William Mudd, also resigned after the investigation. The investigation revealed that all three former employees sent racist emails. Twitty said she found the emails to be funny, but not because of their racial nature.

“Funny as in humor wise? Yes. Not because it was racist or biased, just funny because it was just funny jokewise,” Twitty said. “I feel bad because that's not, I don't want people to look at me and say ‘she sent those racist jokes out because she's racist or biased.' I am not.”

Twitty said she was simply doing what others in Ferguson's government were doing.

It took me a while to get over the feeling of being raped and being thrown under the bus,” Twitty said. “I'm human, I meant nothing bad by it.”

Twitty was Ferguson's City Court Clerk for 19 years. The US Department of Justice was critical of how the court system was run, saying she boosted city revenue by setting fines. The report also alleged the city's police department was encouraged to write a lot of tickets to add to city coffers.

“That's not true. I set no fines, I just abided by them,” Twitty said.
Reminder that one of the racist emails was this picture

with the caption "rare photo of Ronald Reagan babysitting Barack Obama in 1962" :catstare:

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Shear Modulus posted:

Guys I'm super far behind in the thread but can someone who's more knowledgeable of the circumstances help me figure out something that's baffling me about the latest murder-by-cop? In the video how the hell do the cops not see the guy that's filming them? It looks like he's just across the street and he moves all over the place.

It was probably a case of tunnel vision. That poo poo will gently caress you up in all sorts of situations.

I think the military tries training to get past it, but it's something humans do by default.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Shear Modulus posted:

Guys I'm super far behind in the thread but can someone who's more knowledgeable of the circumstances help me figure out something that's baffling me about the latest murder-by-cop? In the video how the hell do the cops not see the guy that's filming them? It looks like he's just across the street and he moves all over the place.

It seems the shooter may not have seen him until he the partner showed up and even if he saw the guy filming before then the shooter was still finishing up his handcuffing and evidence tampering so he couldn't have done much. The filmer was on the other side of a fence and there are lots of trees so it seems he could have kind of hid behind trees while still filming. I think once the other officer arrived they were too wrapped up in the moment to try to harass the guy filming.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

America, y'all.

http://www.kmov.com/story/28745448/former-ferguson-city-court-clerk-who-sent-racist-emails-speaks-out

Reminder that one of the racist emails was this picture

with the caption "rare photo of Ronald Reagan babysitting Barack Obama in 1962" :catstare:

*click the article*. Interview photo- white trash grannie clothes, cheap wood panneling, tacky trinkets, and a mullet that'd make Joe Dirt proud.

Yup her statement checks out.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FlamingLiberal posted:

Regarding how schools have changed, you'll notice looking back that people started demonizing public education once we started desegregating the schools, and especially once busing started. At around the same time a lot of groups that were right-wing in nature went after textbooks that weren't 'appropriate' (ie. A lot of the textbooks that appeared in the 1970s that explained how no, the U.S. isn't perfect, or the sex ed stuff that was being taught).

A lot of the busing stuff was very prevalent in the north too.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

computer parts posted:

A lot of the busing stuff was very prevalent in the north too.
And apparently one of the most robust and locally liked desegregation schemes is in Louisville, Kentucky

quote:

But something strange happened as the integration plan continued. Many of the residents' fears failed to materialize, and after a few years the protests ceased.

It’s as though “people are amazed to discover that people from another race or ethnic group are actually pretty similar to them,” said Gary Orfield, the co-director of the Civil Rights Project at UCLA, who has worked with the city for decades on the plan (and is Myron Orfield’s brother). “There’s a tremendous deflation of protests when almost all the stereotypes people hold aren’t true.”

Orfield remembers the vitriol in Louisville in 1975, when the unions and white population alike vehemently protested the court order—at one point, a bishop supportive of the integration was spat on as he came out of church. But Orfield also remembers how, five years after the plan began and the judge ceased active supervision of the court order, the region’s leaders “decided what he had done was a good idea and they had a banquet for him.” Not everyone felt this way—Jefferson County saw a drop-off in enrollment after the integration, but it later leveled off.

Much has changed in the decades since the bussing plan began. Surveys done back in the 1970s indicated that 98 percent of suburban residents opposed the plan. But in a 2011 survey, 89 percent of parents in Jefferson County said they thought that the school district’s guidelines should “ensure that students learn with students from different races and economic backgrounds.” About 87 percent of parents asked said they were satisfied with the quality of their child’s education.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
GG 1960s/1970s Boston:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

GG 1960s/1970s Boston:

This guy was just into really ironic and cutting political satire.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

The cameraman has done some interviews. It was either on CNN or MSNBC last night I heard him say that he was holding the camera in such a way to make it as unobtrusive as possible.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zwabu posted:

The cameraman has done some interviews. It was either on CNN or MSNBC last night I heard him say that he was holding the camera in such a way to make it as unobtrusive as possible.

You can also see him zoom in pretty far at the beginning of the clip, which is why the clip is so bouncy and ill-framed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

You can also see him zoom in pretty far at the beginning of the clip, which is why the clip is so bouncy and ill-framed.

Someone on reddit did do a bit of stablization though:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If all the police reports have the same inaccurate story, are they going to charge the other cops with filing false reports?

It's absurd to me that the cops will piss and moan about how citizens aren't willing to talk or be truthful to the police when it's evident the police hold themselves to no standard of honesty.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/04/09/meet-the-man-whose-video-led-to-murder-charge-against-south-carolina-cop/

Washington Post posted:

“As you can see in the video, the police officer just shot him in the back,” he added. “I knew right away, I had something on my hands.”

Still, Santana said he was afraid of what he had — video footage that contradicted what police had reported. He was afraid of what might happen to him if he handed it over to police. He did go to the police station but only briefly, he told interviewers. He was asked to wait when he arrived, but decided to leave.

“I felt that my life, with this information, might be in danger,” he told MSNBC. “I thought about erasing the video and just getting out of the community, you know, Charleston, and living someplace else.” On “Morning Joe,” he added that his family was “afraid of what would happen” to him.

But he heard how police were describing the killing — that Scott had grabbed the Taser, so the cop opened fire — and that bothered Santana. “I knew the cop didn’t do the right thing,” he said.

On Sunday afternoon, Santana returned to the scene. He said he thought about the victim’s family and knew they would want to know the truth. He finally decided to make contact with them. “I felt a need to look for justice,” he said.

This guy must have been scared shitless going down to the police station. He did the right thing to think better of it and beat feet.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Charge every single last witness who corroborated the officer's testimony/paperwork with conspiracy.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Phone posted:

Charge every single last witness who corroborated the officer's testimony/paperwork with conspiracy.

It really looks like the throwdown happens right at the feet of both the dying guy and the black cop. It strains credibility pretty hard to say that the black cop would somehow not notice it. I'd be pretty interested in what his report or deposition says.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Phone posted:

That would be nice, but this is a time for baby steps. I just want ONE person to be convicted of his murder first.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Phone posted:

Witnesses can be conditioned to believe a lot through suggestion. It isn't their fault.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

If all the police reports have the same inaccurate story, are they going to charge the other cops with filing false reports?

It's absurd to me that the cops will piss and moan about how citizens aren't willing to talk or be truthful to the police when it's evident the police hold themselves to no standard of honesty.

The other cops' reports will say something like "When I arrived on the scene there was a taser next to the body. Officer <whatever the guys name is> reported that: ...."

This can be twisted as a "confirmation" by the media, but all that is being confirmed is that the cop told that story to more than one person.

That is of course unless the other cops were actually in on a conspiracy but that does not currently appear to be the case.

edit: Other witnesses interviewed probably said "I heard gunshots and went outside and there I saw a the cop standing over a body, there was something that looked like a gun on the ground next to the body"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know it's a crime for a citizen in probably all jurisdictions, but is filing a false report as a police officer actually a criminal matter or an administrative one?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I haven't kept up with it too much outside of a handful of blog posts and seeing it on Bill O'Reilly at 8:15pm last night (what the gently caress? We can't show a boob, but some darkie getting mowed down is A-OK?).

My understanding is that the officer had multiple witnesses back up his story; however, there was something about them being unnamed witnesses and something to do with the media not being able to name them. I can be 100% wrong, but I was under the impression that the cop had half a dozen people corroborate his story. I'm weary of fuckers popping out of the woodwork and going "oh yeah, that black dude totally did a thing" since that insane woman (literally schizophrenic) was Witness #1 for the Mike Brown shooting.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Phone posted:

I haven't kept up with it too much outside of a handful of blog posts and seeing it on Bill O'Reilly at 8:15pm last night (what the gently caress? We can't show a boob, but some darkie getting mowed down is A-OK?).

My understanding is that the officer had multiple witnesses back up his story; however, there was something about them being unnamed witnesses and something to do with the media not being able to name them. I can be 100% wrong, but I was under the impression that the cop had half a dozen people corroborate his story. I'm weary of fuckers popping out of the woodwork and going "oh yeah, that black dude totally did a thing" since that insane woman (literally schizophrenic) was Witness #1 for the Mike Brown shooting.

Who are you going to believe, a bunch of unnamed witnesses, or your lying eyes?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Phone posted:

A witness saying "I heard gunshots, went outside and saw a taser on the ground next to the suspect" is consistent with the officer's story. Remember the media is terrible.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Here's the thing to keep in mind about the cop video, consider all the other arrests made by this officer which are now suspect because he's on video planting evidence. Think of anyone who may be on death row or executed because of him: now consider how much the city should expect to pay out in the eventual civil suits.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

This is perfect.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Here's the thing to keep in mind about the cop video, consider all the other arrests made by this officer which are now suspect because he's on video planting evidence. Think of anyone who may be on death row or executed because of him: now consider how much the city should expect to pay out in the eventual civil suits.
They shouldn't have hired an awful, awful person and given him power over other people's lives and freedom so screw'em.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Phone posted:

I did find it odd that CNN was showing the killing on a loop for like 15 minutes but they bleeped out the recorder cursing 'poo poo' as the shots were fired.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

They shouldn't have hired an awful, awful person and given him power over other people's lives and freedom so screw'em.

But think of the taxes the city will have to raise. Consider the insurance payouts, the future bankruptcy, the bond holders getting stiffed. Which will raise more waves in the state, an officer shooting a black man in the back a few times, or bondholders getting jilted needlessly and insurance paying out where otherwise no payout need exist?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
At what point in the story did they release his past crimes (the victim) to the public, was it before or after this video came out? If we lived in a good world all the news stations would question their making GBS threads on the victim so quickly from now on (this will never happen though).

Edit: ^^ Are you for loving real?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

A witness saying "I heard gunshots, went outside and saw a taser on the ground next to the suspect" is consistent with the officer's story. Remember the media is terrible.

Why blame the media when you can blame the police who started the lies:

quote:

A statement released by North Charleston police spokesman Spencer Pryor said a man ran on foot from the traffic stop and an officer deployed his department-issued Taser in an attempt to stop him.

That did not work, police said, and an altercation ensued as the men struggled over the device. Police allege that during the struggle the man gained control of the Taser and attempted to use it against the officer.

The officer then resorted to his service weapon and shot him, police alleged.

It was not immediately clear how many times Scott had been shot or where on his body he was wounded.

Officers tried to revive him prior to the arrival of paramedics, police said.

quote:

An NCPD sergeant who was conducting a traffic stop in the area of Dorchester Road and Scarsdale Avenue reported hearing Slager's transmission that he was out on a traffic stop, and a few minutes later heard Slager say he was in a foot pursuit with the driver who was reportedly running down Craig Street toward the Singing Pines subdivision.

The sergeant said he then heard Slager advise dispatch officials the direction of travel and a description of the suspect as a "black male wearing a blue hat and blue jeans."

The sergeant reported that he then discontinued his traffic stop and proceeded to Slager's location. At this point, another officer reported that Slager had requested another unit to "step up his response" to his location.

Slager deployed his Taser weapon to detain the driver but was unsuccessful, Pryor said.

Police say an altercation then began between Slager and Scott resulting in a fight for the officer's Taser.

During the fight, Scott gained control of the Taser to use it against the officer who then fired his service weapon at the suspect, Pryor said.

While en route, the sergeant reported that he heard Slager say that he deployed his Taser and was requesting for back up units, and seconds later reported "shots fired and the subject is down, he took my taser."

The sergeant said he and another officer performed CPR on Scott until EMS units arrived; the other officer also reported that he was also directing EMS and fire officials the best route to take to get to the victim faster.

A police report states when EMS and first responders arrived, EMS took over providing care to Scott who was pronounced dead a short time later.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Samurai Sanders posted:

Who do you think Charleston hires for less than $15 an hour?

Seriously last time I lived there a county deputy would get around $28-30k a year starting.

During the long recruitment process that police departments offer, it's a lot like jury duty.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Edit: ^^ Are you for loving real?

No, he's a gimmick poster even worse than Amerign.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

lamentable dustman posted:

I did find it odd that CNN was showing the killing on a loop for like 15 minutes but they bleeped out the recorder cursing 'poo poo' as the shots were fired.

The US is really weird about what is "OK" to put on TV.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

zoux posted:

I know it's a crime for a citizen in probably all jurisdictions, but is filing a false report as a police officer actually a criminal matter or an administrative one?

Only if you can prove without a doubt that the officer knowingly and intentionally filed it as false, which is really hard to do

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

lamentable dustman posted:

Welcome to the culture of violence that is the USA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Only if you can prove without a doubt that the officer knowingly and intentionally filed it as false, which is really hard to do

I mean his partner was standing right there and watched him drop the Taser.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

zoux posted:

I mean his partner was standing right there and watched him drop the Taser.

Sounds like accessory to murder to me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Talmonis posted:

Sounds like accessory to murder to me.
I wish I could find a survey of all six billion police officers in the US to find out how many of them a personally embarrassed by this poo poo. I want to believe it's the vast majority of them, but...

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

greatn posted:

Witnesses can be conditioned to believe a lot through suggestion. It isn't their fault.

Nah, gently caress em

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wish I could find a survey of all six billion police officers in the US to find out how many of them a personally embarrassed by this poo poo. I want to believe it's the vast majority of them, but...

:laffo: at anyone naive enough to think this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wish I could find a survey of all six billion police officers in the US to find out how many of them a personally embarrassed by this poo poo. I want to believe it's most of them, but...

Well poo poo no wonder we're in a police state. The police outnumber the population 20:1.

• Locked thread