Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It feels like a poo poo ton of people are using that aim mod. I'm not sure how popular it really is, but it feels like a lot of bullshit shots are happening today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Equate posted:

So found this nice little gem on the russian forum,

This is the download link

its in the super secret thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516406

You want to use version .03 not the v2 one.

Close your game.
Make a backup of your res/scripts folder for WoWs
Copy the file res into the folder and overwrite what it asks for.

This little gem adds an aiming point of where to shoot, something like a helper that the torps have.

As of right now there is nothing from WGing about this. There is a discussion on the german forum about its uses, it helps you fire at enemies when they are going in a straight line. Once they start moving it messes up the line. Enjoy :]

That explains the uptick in pubbie accuracy lately.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pretty sure they just resolved the bug where over about 10 km you needed to drop the shells pretty much on the enemy's bow because the displayed model is that far behind the ship hitboxes, so I'd expect it's that.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Are there patch notes anywhere for the latest patch? The one this morning that was ~300mb. I noticed the menus are noticeably less laggy when I click on things which is nice.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zotix posted:

It feels like a poo poo ton of people are using that aim mod. I'm not sure how popular it really is, but it feels like a lot of bullshit shots are happening today.

I think that if you aren't using that mod, you need to act as if every other player is.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
I really like the game.

I find BB gameplay pleasingly relaxing, slowly pounding opponents apart at range. DD gameplay quite edge of the seat, diving in and out of spotting distance laying down torpedos. CL/CA gameplay a equitable role between supporting the two. I've not tried carriers yet, but I imagine I will find the completely different RTS gameplay a refreshing difference again.

I find the RNG complaints constantly scrolling down the chat screen to be overblown. While my long range rounds are certainly fairly randomly distributed (as they should be, long range warfare should be markedly different from close in brawling), as I have got better at the game I've come to realize I no-longer just shoot to hit, I can place shots on the midships waterline upclose that will consistently outdamage a less capable opponent, skill is certainly involved. Because of it's arcade style, even if I am unfortunately critted from the other side of the map in the opening moments of a game, I don't feel infuriated like I've lost, but that I can just load up another class join another game and get straight back into it. I find the larger positioning and strategic choice elements of the game far more important than some kind of fast twitch shooting gameplay, and this is something I approve of.

I like it, I think the gameplay is pretty strong, especially for a beta. I find it genuinely relaxing, I really enjoy the pace and am happy that it is not overly detailed all consuming milsperg, nor rapid twitch COD where the winner is the one with the best muscle memory. But instead a mixture of thoughtful positioning, and a slow easy care with your shot placement that will bring you out ontop of your team (if not necessarily the match), regularly. As for randomness; if you're angry that luck plays a part in warfare simulator then you will be horrified of how much a role it plays in real war.

For what it is worth, I never played tanks, so I'm coming at it from outside. The only tweak I desperately want to scream for, gameplay wise, is a proper reticle that covers the full screen width.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/preorder-announcement/

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

drat, I wanted a mid-high tier US cruiser. (I wanted the Atlanta)

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Just as long as the account is unified eventually, I'm cool with that.

But I don't have the energy to hellgrind WoWs to T10 without my gold/freexp/premium stockpile from Tanks. I'm cool with just clubbing in a St. Louis or Clemson for a month to train crews once this goes live, and then when the account is linked immediately put them in a Des Moines or Gearing :getin:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

xthetenth posted:

drat, I wanted a mid-high tier US cruiser. (I wanted the Atlanta)
You can have the Atlanta. Just buy the 12,500 gold pack.

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/preorder-bundles/

The page shows a couple of stats for the Sims and Greymaschiy too

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 9, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Sims is a 5x5", 2x4 torp, 35 knot destroyer.

Greymaschiy is 4x130mm, 3x2 torp, 40 knot destroyer. Looks like soviet destroyers are going to all be fast.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Wargaming posted:

Players who are existing members of the Closed Beta Test will recieve their ships, Tokens (equal to the number of Gold Doubloons included in the purchased Preorder bundle), and Premium account time during the CBT, shortly after purchase.

Upon the start of the Open Beta Test, all ships, Tokens (Gold Doubloons), and Premium account time will be removed from the accounts; to be returned when all Pre-order bundles are distributed. This means any spent Tokens and used Premium account time from the purchased Pre-order bundles will be returned in full. Ships will also be returned, but none of the Experience gained for Commanders or Crew during the CBT will carry over to OBT.
1. lol at people not in CBT getting Star Citizen'd
2. Progression wipe after CBT confirmed?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

xthetenth posted:

Sims is a 5x5", 2x4 torp, 35 knot destroyer.

Greymaschiy is 4x130mm, 3x2 torp, 40 knot destroyer. Looks like soviet destroyers are going to all be fast.

Kinda expecting Soviet ships to be the wacky racing equivalent of ships for WoWs.

I'll probably hold off on pre-ordering anything to see if they add anything non-destroyerish, the low-tier japanese cruiser doesn't seem that worthwile considering that anything pre tier V goes by pretty quickly (premium/beta boost or not) - on the other hand, having an actually capable AA platform at tier IV could be... good?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Pimpmust posted:

Kinda expecting Soviet ships to be the wacky racing equivalent of ships for WoWs.

I'll probably hold off on pre-ordering anything to see if they add anything non-destroyerish, the low-tier japanese cruiser doesn't seem that worthwile considering that anything pre tier V goes by pretty quickly (premium/beta boost or not) - on the other hand, having an actually capable AA platform at tier IV could be... good?
Don't be fooled by the sales pitch. You still won't be able to appreciably shoot down planes well with that kind of AA rating. Also, those torps might not be the best things since you only get two x two launchers (albeit centerline) and I don't remember the reload time since it was taken out this patch.

I might buy it to tell you.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 9, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

1. lol at people not in CBT getting Star Citizen'd
2. Progression wipe after CBT confirmed?

We already knew they were doing a progression wipe after CBT.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

There are going to be more preorder packages than that right? Because that's an awfully short sale period

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

NTRabbit posted:

There are going to be more preorder packages than that right? Because that's an awfully short sale period
Looks like they're going to be offered all the way through the beginning of May; the discount is what's ending on the 13th.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Looks like WG has a lot of key give aways planned for this weekend. I'm getting one of those drat things if it's the last thing I do.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Already saw a few Yubaris this morning. They did not seem very impressive. Now there's another 86mb patch.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

grrarg posted:

Already saw a few Yubaris this morning. They did not seem very impressive. Now there's another 86mb patch.
I was in a match with a Kitakami in Ocean. He shat torps everywhere at long range to little effect because there's no terrain to pin enemy ships against. I couldn't blame him, there was little else that a fat slow super-destroyer with no smoke could do.

Now this one other guy with an Atlanta later in the morning, that guy was an entitled little gently caress who cried about killstealing in a team game.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
The moderators put out a detailed description of all three pre order ships.

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/3783-preorder-packages-sims-gremyashchiy-and-yubari/

TLDR summary

SIMS Tier 7 USN DD A good buy if you're a fan of USN DDs and their excellent guns.
Gremyashchiy - Tier V SN DD Russian bias :getin: Fast, great guns, 8km range torps.
Yubari - Tier IV IJN CL No Barrage Skill. I prefer the Iwaki over the Yubari any time.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I've seen several Yubaris. Are people actually paying money for premium ships for use in closed beta :stare:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

PirateBob posted:

I've seen several Yubaris. Are people actually paying money for premium ships for use in closed beta :stare:

They'll also get them on launch.

Still this whole thing feels at least one step skeevier than WoT's preorders.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Prav posted:

They'll also get them on launch.

Still this whole thing feels at least one step skeevier than WoT's preorders.
Same goes for any gold used in CBT, it and any premium time gets returned back to you at launch.

The nerd rage is still amazing on the official forums though, people were expecting/demanding free tokens for testing

e: at least CBT players got to try the game before "pre-ordering"

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Same goes for any gold used in CBT, it and any premium time gets returned back to you at launch.

The nerd rage is still amazing on the official forums though, people were expecting/demanding free tokens for testing

e: at least CBT players got to try the game before "pre-ordering"

To be fair, that's been how the closes betas for the other games worked AND there were posts from wargaming people about them getting tokens to CBT testers for the test and all sorts of other stuff.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well, we got free gold in the tank beta. But obviously it was only during the beta and was removed along with all the tanks and progression when the game launched. I was hoping for that to be true with botes as well but it's no Bismark if it doesn't.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

As in, gold for use in the CB/OB? I don't think that's unreasonable.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

PirateBob posted:

Worked well for tanks and planes.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Prav posted:

Worked well for tanks and planes.

It did, but it looks like it's not gonna happen here, oh well.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
This situation might be different from the other two games because tests have gone on for so long.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
So i can give them money now for a virtual ship in a free to play game that I can't even play yet? And buying the virtual ship doesnt even get me into the CBT so I can drive my virtual ship bought with real dollars?

Seems like a good deal.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
In other news WG is changing the title of the release to World of Bote Citizen so "players" can feel more comfortable about their boat purchases. :colbert:

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

So, on of the WGEU guys (Ectar) is posting in the reddit thread regarding the preorder stuff

http://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/31z354/so_uh_preorders/

Main quote:

"I'll explain.
Purchasing a package gives you tokens. In CBT the tokens change to Dubloons. If you spend tokens in CBT, you get then back at the reset/wipe when OBT starts (Consider OBT as a soft launch). If you spend Dubloons in OBT, you don't get them back.
If you're not in CBT and your purchase a pre-order package, you'll have that content available on your account as soon as OBT starts.
Yes we've played multiple casual games, subscription games, and one off purchase games. In each of those games we've played, being able to get into closed beta testing was/is never something guaranteed. Closed beta testing normally happens under NDA and the community in general doesn't know much about it. Just because games like Archage and H1Z1 allowed you buy your way into an early build, doesn't mean every other game will do the same.
We're not banking on the fact people will think the pre-order packages will increase their chances of getting into CBT, the announcements couldn't be any more clearer that pre-order doesn't give you CBT access."

And from the russian Q&A thread (I'm told)

"We are currently not planning to preform any wipes after OBT (actual info on 9th of April)"
:wtc:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Open beta is usually early release and they didn't have any wipes after the open betas for WoT or Warplanes either.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Vorkosigan posted:

"We are currently not planning to preform any wipes after OBT (actual info on 9th of April)"
:wtc:
That's normal. Wipe at the end of CBT, no wipe after OBT.

Technically War Thunder is still in OBT.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

hopterque posted:

Open beta is usually early release and they didn't have any wipes after the open betas for WoT or Warplanes either.

uuuhhh, OBT in WoT was very much wiped before retail in april. That is why the older people have that date as their creation date. Pre-order wasn't even offered till OBT.

Generalissimo
Jun 13, 2003

There was a wipe after OBT in planes as well, but they took your XP gained and distributed it amongst your tier 1 pilots for release. Similarly, I believe pre-orders for planes weren't offered until OBT.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I tempted to buy that Sims pack, what the gently caress is wrong with me

It's probably not even that good

PirateBob posted:

Yeah I was hoping for a stipend that you got for logging in every day like in the WoT CBT because I really wanted to try the Atlanta.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Insert name here posted:

It's actually the best one if you wanted to let go of your senses like that. The vodka destroyer is fast and has great torps, but US destroyer guns are just too nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Yeah I was hoping for a stipend that you got for logging in every day like in the WoT CBT because I really wanted to try the Atlanta.

Inside 6 km or so the Atlanta is basically god. It's got cleveland dpm only more so and a set of torp tubes, and it just won't stop firing.