Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Been checking the market for good values and came across this one on woot. 399 for a fhd 1080p ips screen and an i5 cpu. what's wrong with it?

e: vizio ct15-a4 15.6 inch

http://computers.woot.com/offers/vizio-15-6-full-hd-intel-i5-ultrabook-1?ref=cnt_wp_6_1

Setset fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Ninkobei posted:

Been checking the market for good values and came across this one on woot. 399 for a fhd 1080p ips screen and an i5 cpu. what's wrong with it?

e: vizio ct15-a4 15.6 inch

http://computers.woot.com/offers/vizio-15-6-full-hd-intel-i5-ultrabook-1?ref=cnt_wp_6_1

Refurb and two gens old. Just look at slickdeals they have better deals every day.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bigass Moth posted:

Refurb and two gens old. Just look at slickdeals they have better deals every day.

Speaking of...

25% off refurb 2015 Dell xps 13's

Get your 8 gig i5, full hd screen for 750 with free shipping.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7782419-dell-xps-13-9343-refurbished-in-outlet-starting-at-669-coupon-25-or-more-501-tax

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I almost forgot Vizio was going to takeover the ultrabook market

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What elements of the XPS13 are upgradable?

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

MikeJF posted:

What elements of the XPS13 are upgradable?

I think the only thing you can upgrade is the ssd and the ram is soldered on.

Got the XPS13 in today with 8GB ram, 256gb ssd, and non touch screen. Screen and keyboard are pretty nice on it. I noticed some menus were fuzzy when I was installing a bunch of programs. Is this from the scaling?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Optiquest posted:

Got the XPS13 in today with 8GB ram, 256gb ssd, and non touch screen. Screen and keyboard are pretty nice on it. I noticed some menus were fuzzy when I was installing a bunch of programs. Is this from the scaling?

Scaling shouldn't be an issue on a 1080p screen. Mind taking a screenshot and showing us?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Optiquest posted:

Balls.

There are basically no customisations on dell Australia; if you want the 8gb version you have to get the touchscreen model.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Optiquest posted:

It might have 125% scaling turned on even with the 1080 screen, so possibly, yea. 1080 on 13" is about as small as I'd use for a 1080 screen with no scaling.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MikeJF posted:

Balls.

There are basically no customisations on dell Australia; if you want the 8gb version you have to get the touchscreen model.

Dell NZ has the 8GB 1080p 256GB version but to get the high res screen you need to add touch too.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

dissss posted:

Dell NZ has the 8GB 1080p 256GB version but to get the high res screen you need to add touch too.

The high res screen is tied into touch everywhere as far as I know. The low res (if 1920×1080 in 13.3" can be called so) screen is the far superior choice, as it is matte, and uses way less power. The high res screen seriously affects the battery life.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

The high res screen is tied into touch everywhere as far as I know. The low res (if 1920×1080 in 13.3" can be called so) screen is the far superior choice, as it is matte, and uses way less power. The high res screen seriously affects the battery life.

That's why I'm so annoyed you can only get the 1080p screen with the low-end specs in Oz.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SouthLAnd posted:

FullHD Toshiba Chromebook 2 would be my recommendation. I have the first generation model and its been great. I think the 13.3 inch screen size is about perfect.
Finally found one of these in stock and picked it up for my Dad, great little device, sort of want one for myself now. The screen is gorgeous and ChromeOS is neat. Thanks!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

XPS 13 Developer Edition starts at $949 if you want Ubuntu out of the box

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-13-linux/pd

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Maybe I haven't used enough new laptops yet but are there any PC laptop track pads that are on par with apples? I have an Asus UX32 ultra book and I really don't like the trackpad. It picks up my thumb way too easily and my right palm causing the active cursor to inadvertently move/click while typing and generally slower to move the cursor around due to the feel and 'accidents'. I have a 2007(old) MBP and it's far superior imo and newer MBPs seem about the same.

The last PC trackpads I ever really liked were on business class Dells and HPs. Am I stuck with these 'lesser' trackpads in the PC consumer space?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shaocaholica posted:

The last PC trackpads I ever really liked were on business class Dells and HPs. Am I stuck with these 'lesser' trackpads in the PC consumer space?

You still get decent trackpads on expensive, business targeted PCs. Lenovo is still making the pointing stick, which is my preferred laptop pointer input. Really good trackpads are part of the reason that Macs are widely recommended.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Twerk from Home posted:

You still get decent trackpads on expensive, business targeted PCs. Lenovo is still making the pointing stick, which is my preferred laptop pointer input. Really good trackpads are part of the reason that Macs are widely recommended.

My work HP has a perfectly usable trackpad with proper separate buttons and a passable trackpoint too

I think it has been superseded now, but the newer models appear to have the same setup

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Maybe this is old news, but I just found the greatest invention of all time. My T440s and the horrible single slab mouse are going into surgery when this thing arrives. It's like Christmas all over again...I loathe the single giant button....

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...2286821621.html

Lenovo forums report it works flawlessly.

http://camerongray.me/2015/02/fitting-physical-trackpoint-buttons-to-a-lenovo-thinkpad-t440s/

Edit: corrected link for T440s

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 8, 2015

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

The Iron Rose posted:

I'd say get a Y50 instead and get it with a standard HDD, then buy a 850 EVO aftermarket and install it yourself. Should be way cheaper.

E: to say nothing of the fact that if you're going to spend $1500 you should try and get a laptop with a 970m anyway.

Why a y50 instead? I've kind of got my heart set on a 17" since that's what I've been using for ages now. Hmm, if I choose the Y70 with a 1TB hard drive rather than a ssd it brings the cost down significantly:

$1239 (with 3 year warrantee)

80DU00B2US

• 7.48 ( 3.4 kgs)
• Windows 8.1 64
• EXTERNAL DVD-RW
• ClickPad
• ( 25.9 mm)
• 4 Cell 54 Watt Hour Li-Polymer
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M GDDR5 4GB
• Depot or Carry-in
• 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4720HQ Processor (2.60GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
• SODIMM
• ( 422.9 mm)
• ( 290.6 mm)
• 16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L 1600 MHz
• Bluetooth Version 4.0
• Lenovo AC Wireless (2x2)
• One year
• EN:English
• 1TB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD
---

Only problem is now I'd need to get an SSD separately to get all those sweet, sweet speed benefits. I looked at the 970m but laptops with that card seem significantly costlier than this machine.

E: Is the most reasonable $1500-ish alternative is this ROG:?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232202&cm_re=970m-_-34-232-202-_-Product
With a $100 additional 2 year extended warranty I'm looking at $1600 for that.

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 8, 2015

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
What does that little 8gb SSD do for you?

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

bunnielab posted:

It's supposed to be used as a cache and slightly improve the HDD's lovely speed. However, I used mine as the location for an Ubuntu install.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

bunnielab posted:

That's a hybrid drive, not a separate actual SSD.

Also to Delthalaz, this thread in particular never recommends 17" laptops for anything other than "It's literally going to sit on a desk 98% of the time" use cases. If that's you, then great. If you move it around you probably want to look at 15" options. Something like this guy http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8651-clevo-p650se-p-7690.html?wconfigure=yes is a good bit of PC for the $, giving an IPS screen and 970m video card (A very very large step up from anything below it). There's similar options in 17" size.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
I'm not really sure where to post but I'm having trouble with my Lenovo Thinkpad x120e. I can't really replace it yet, so I bought a Samsung Evo 850 250gb to help it run better.

I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows 7, but the Microsoft website wouldn't let me download the isos because my windows key is for a preinstalled system.

Ok... Sounds a bit unfair. I used the Lenovo recovery tool to set up a usb stick to boot from. Unfortunately, it's not working. When i press f12 to change the boot drive to my usb drive (which it recognized), it says "Operating system not found". I redid the recovery usb drive to the same effect.

Each time i make that recovery drive, it says everything is ok. I've fiddled with the bios according to a youtube video. Changed it to boot by uefi (whatever that is) and changed the boot order. It's still not working.

Does anyone have any advice? I can't get the isos from microsoft for some stupid reason. I'm not sure what to do other than going into some grey areas, and it's really frustrating. Thanks.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Any thoughts on this 15 inch Asus for $1099?

Screen Size 15.6 inches
Max Screen Resolution 1920*1080 pixels
Processor 2.6 GHz Core i7-4720HQ
RAM 16 GB DDR3
Hard Drive 1024 GB 7200rpm
Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA GTX960M 2G GDDR5
Wireless Type 802.11 a/g/n

http://www.amazon.com/GL551JW-DS71-...csubtag=WC38536

Other than the non-IPS screen, it looks pretty good to me, and I have read that it runs very cool for a low end gaming laptop.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

predicto posted:

Screen Size 15.6 inches
RAM 16 GB DDR3

Other than the non-IPS screen, it looks pretty good to me, and I have read that it runs very cool for a low end gaming laptop.

This is what I was looking at before I found that IPS mattered. Check Barnes and Noble Gold for Lenovo, check the Y50's.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Shnicker posted:

I'm not really sure where to post but I'm having trouble with my Lenovo Thinkpad x120e. I can't really replace it yet, so I bought a Samsung Evo 850 250gb to help it run better.

I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows 7, but the Microsoft website wouldn't let me download the isos because my windows key is for a preinstalled system.

Ok... Sounds a bit unfair. I used the Lenovo recovery tool to set up a usb stick to boot from. Unfortunately, it's not working. When i press f12 to change the boot drive to my usb drive (which it recognized), it says "Operating system not found". I redid the recovery usb drive to the same effect.

Each time i make that recovery drive, it says everything is ok. I've fiddled with the bios according to a youtube video. Changed it to boot by uefi (whatever that is) and changed the boot order. It's still not working.

Does anyone have any advice? I can't get the isos from microsoft for some stupid reason. I'm not sure what to do other than going into some grey areas, and it's really frustrating. Thanks.

http://windows-7-home-premium.en.softonic.com/download

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Just got an 2015 ASUS UX305 like last week and it's been great so far with one exception: the screen has pretty bad backlight leakage. It's only noticeable when displaying pure black or when watching a dark movie or something but it seems pretty drat bad to me.

Here's a crappy picture where you may be able to see what I'm talking about :
http://imgur.com/FJTMrnp

I read some reviews that mentioned it, but mine seems worse than they make it out to be (they did not provide pictures). Is there anyone else with an ASUS ux305 here that has had a similar issue? Is it worth getting the unit exchanged?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

predicto posted:

Screen Size 15.6 inches
RAM 16 GB DDR3

Looks good to me so long as you add in an SSD aftermarket. 250 gb for $110, $500 for ~$175.

I'd be tempted honestly, especially with that nice 16 gb of RAM.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

signalnoise posted:

This is what I was looking at before I found that IPS mattered. Check Barnes and Noble Gold for Lenovo, check the Y50's.

I did. The Lenovo at roughly the same price point has a 5400 hard drive, and I keep reading that the Lenovos run hot and ASUS has better overall build quality. I'm not sure I have the skill to install a new SSD without screwing things up, so a slow hard drive matters.

But the Lenovo does have an IPS screen. Hmmm...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

predicto posted:

I did. The Lenovo at roughly the same price point has a 5400 hard drive, and I keep reading that the Lenovos run hot and ASUS has better overall build quality. I'm not sure I have the skill to install a new SSD without screwing things up, so a slow hard drive matters.

But the Lenovo does have an IPS screen. Hmmm...

code:
• Windows 8.1 64
• 15.6'' UHD LED Glossy Backlit (3840x2160)
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2GB
• 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
• Hybrid 1TB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD
• None
• WIFI AC Wireless (2x2)
• Bluetooth Version 4.0
• One year
• 4 Cell 54 Watt Hour Lithium-Ion
• 1YR In-Home + Accidental Damage Protection		

Total:	$1,102.10
It takes basically zero skill to install a SSD. Seriously. I spent another 100 on a 250gb SSD and this thing's gonna be fine I'm pretty sure. The only thing I'm concerned with is if the screen resolution is too high for some reason I don't know. But it's 3 whole dollars more for the trade of 8gb ram and IPS vs 16gb ram and TN.

Someone let me know if I made the wrong decision here

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 9, 2015

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So my X220 I ordered on eBay finally arrived, and so far so good, but I really want to swap out the TN display it arrived with with an IPS.

While the installation part looks fairly simple, I'm concerned about where to buy it from. Is screencountry.com good? There's a few listings on eBay but I'm just leery about them.

Also if you have a recommendation on a certain one, I'm all ears.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 9, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

shyduck posted:

So my X220 I ordered on eBay finally arrived, and so far so good, but I really want to swap out the TN display it arrived with with an IPS.

While the installation part looks fairly simple, I'm concerned about where to buy it from. Is screencountry.com good? There's a few listings on eBay but I'm just leery about them.

Also if you have a recommendation on a certain one, I'm all ears.

I ordered a screen for my thinkpad from these guys: https://www.laptopscreen.com/ and while the website looks like someone vomited everything that is bad and terrible about websites the screen I got shipped quickly, was fine, and looked great.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Shaocaholica posted:

Maybe I haven't used enough new laptops yet but are there any PC laptop track pads that are on par with apples?

Panasonic laptop trackpads are divine, but the cheapest one is like $1800 though and comes with a weeaboo keyboard. Nowadays they even have big square ones, still with discrete buttons, instead of tiny but wonderful circular ones.

I think a big problem with trackpads on PC's is Synaptic drivers being poo poo. The behavior on Linux is, in my experience, much better. For example on the Thinkpad Helix the machine would, on Windows, hit 5% CPU usage whenever you put your finger on the trackpad.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Guh. A good trackpad shouldn't be a luxury item. MS should just take some control. Make the trackpad makers stick to some standard hardware fundamentals and let MS handle the driver and settings for all the new multi finger stuff. Then at lease there would be some consistency across windows laptops.

Don't they kind of do this already for touch input?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Shaocaholica posted:

Guh. A good trackpad shouldn't be a luxury item. MS should just take some control. Make the trackpad makers stick to some standard hardware fundamentals and let MS handle the driver and settings for all the new multi finger stuff. Then at lease there would be some consistency across windows laptops.

Microsoft did do that for the Surface Pro 3 and the Dell XPS 13. They both use Windows 8.1's built in stuff for touchpad gestures. Unfortunately this also means there's like a half a second delay before gestures are recognized built in on purpose or something if you take this route. Also it's kinda finicky/not as smooth on not IE for web browsers.

e: Dell put out a firmware update late last month to take care of most of the weird issues (cursor being jumpy) but there's still a short delay on touchpad gestures starting up.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 9, 2015

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

signalnoise posted:

code:
• Windows 8.1 64
• 15.6'' UHD LED Glossy Backlit (3840x2160)
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2GB
• 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
• Hybrid 1TB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD
• None
• WIFI AC Wireless (2x2)
• Bluetooth Version 4.0
• One year
• 4 Cell 54 Watt Hour Lithium-Ion
• 1YR In-Home + Accidental Damage Protection		

Total:	$1,102.10
It takes basically zero skill to install a SSD. Seriously. I spent another 100 on a 250gb SSD and this thing's gonna be fine I'm pretty sure. The only thing I'm concerned with is if the screen resolution is too high for some reason I don't know. But it's 3 whole dollars more for the trade of 8gb ram and IPS vs 16gb ram and TN.

Someone let me know if I made the wrong decision here

IPS and 8gb ram

Unless you are doing something where you need that i7 and 16gb of ram

Optiquest fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 9, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Did you try this or did you just google this? Because I've filtered softonic out of my google search results a couple of years ago for some reason and I don't remember why exactly. Maybe it was because it was shady as gently caress and gives you a fake result for any googling effort containing 'download', maybe it was because they insisted on going through an adware/malware infested downloader program, I'm really not sure anymore. It was something like that anyway. And the name sets off so many alarm bells that I'm not even willing to try at this point.

Would be great to have a working link again, so if anyone can confirm without getting their machine infected, that'd be awesome.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Shaocaholica posted:

This is what they do already, which is why nothing works. The Dell forum is chock full of people begging for a manufacturer driver for the XPS 13 because despite having an amazing trackpad hardware-wise, it only works properly in Metro and Internet Explorer to the point where I actually tried to switch back to Internet Explorer for a while. Microsoft has zero motivation to get things working outside of their little bubble.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

sarehu posted:

I think a big problem with trackpads on PC's is Synaptic drivers being poo poo. The behavior on Linux is, in my experience, much better. For example on the Thinkpad Helix the machine would, on Windows, hit 5% CPU usage whenever you put your finger on the trackpad.

This is true. I've been using mostly Linux for about 10 years on my work laptops now and touchpads are really snappy and smooth. Exact same laptop on windows and it feels odd and sluggish, no matter how much you dick about with the sensitivity settings/synaptics options.

Maybe it is just a matter of finding the exactly right parameters, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Gwaihir posted:

That's a hybrid drive, not a separate actual SSD.

Also to Delthalaz, this thread in particular never recommends 17" laptops for anything other than "It's literally going to sit on a desk 98% of the time" use cases. If that's you, then great. If you move it around you probably want to look at 15" options. Something like this guy http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8651-clevo-p650se-p-7690.html?wconfigure=yes is a good bit of PC for the $, giving an IPS screen and 970m video card (A very very large step up from anything below it). There's similar options in 17" size.

I understand the dislike for 17" laptops, but that is basically what I need a laptop for: desktop replacement. I want something to act as a desktop that I can move around no more than once/twice a week and usually only once every few months. I use my tablet and smartphone for more mobile computing. I'll look at the xoticpc site, but I think those come out to quite a bit more when I include a 3-year warranty and a Windows install.