Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

What's with Latvia and Finland?

Latvia and Finland had their fair share of Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^ The Finnish Air Force adopted the Swastika 1918, long before Hitler wrote Mein Kampf.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The Nazis did not invent the Swastika and it wasn't a "tainted" symbol at that time?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

It wouldn't have as many negative associations for many people until a few years later.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Swastikas were a big folk/pagan symbol way before the Nazis and had various meanings, but in this case the Finns just seemed to use it because a Swedish count who used the symbol gave their air force one of its first airplanes (he would turn out to be a Nazi later on though, so go figure).

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Yeah, they used it for the same reason the Nazis did. Namely weird neo-pagan nonsense.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Necessary link: Swastika laundry (1912)

Or: Swatika, Ont. est. 1907 "The hell with Hitler. We came up with our name first!"

ecureuilmatrix fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 9, 2015

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Before the war I don't think the swastika motif was any different then the roundel on a lot of western european planes.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Finnish Air Force still uses it in their flags, but it has been removed from the roundels and from tanks.

Kor posted:

Swastikas were a big folk/pagan symbol way before the Nazis and had various meanings, but in this case the Finns just seemed to use it because a Swedish count who used the symbol gave their air force one of its first airplanes (he would turn out to be a Nazi later on though, so go figure).

Jaramin posted:

Yeah, they used it for the same reason the Nazis did. Namely weird neo-pagan nonsense.

It was picked for a symbol because it was a Swedish count's lucky symbol and he had painted it on a plane he gifted to the Finnish White Army. And that plane was the first plane in the Finnish Armed Forces. Also swastika as a symbol wasn't new in Finland, it had been used since the Iron Age.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Perhaps the best known use of the Swastika in the west was the Dublin Swastika Laundry Co., which ceased operation in the 80s, i think, and which painted a huge swastika on its building that remained fully visible, and a local landmark, until the end of the 80s.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well in the case of Carl's Jr vs. Hardee's, it's literally the same company.

Carl's Jr. bought out Hardee's with the intention that they could make Carl's Jr a national brand, met heavy resistance in the Hardee's areas where they did test runs with the exception of like Oklahoma and the one place in Louisiana, and said "gently caress it". But they did start selling some of the trademark food from Carl's Jr in Hardees and vice-versa, and added the little star logo into the Hardees logo.

The Hardees near me carried both Thickburgers and Six Dollar Burgers but dropped the latter, probably because it was creeping up towards six dollars in price and defeating the marketing gimmick. That or because one brand tested better than the other seeing as how they seemed to be almost exactly the same product.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HookShot posted:

Estonia and Turkey have the best insignias

Only among the European countries. Commonwealth represent.

South Africa's at the very least is an anachronistic post-war design, but it fits the theme better.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm afraid to ask what the apartheid-era insignia was that they had to change it. Unless it's the ANC being petty.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

PittTheElder posted:

South Africa's at the very least is an anachronistic post-war design, but it fits the theme better.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

European Community population density 1987.

quote:

Slovvenija

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 10, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
They were very wrong with the projected population of Germany in 2010.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Phlegmish posted:

I'm afraid to ask what the apartheid-era insignia was that they had to change it. Unless it's the ANC being petty.

Looks like they changed it to a bird in the 80s.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Torrannor posted:

They were very wrong with the projected population of Germany in 2010.

Can't fault them for not taking into account the possibility of Germany getting reunited, to be fair. Their estimates for France and the UK are also almost 10 million short, that's more puzzling.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PittTheElder posted:

Wtf New Zealand. At least springboks, kangaroos, and maple leaves can stay airborne for a short amount of time.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

sparatuvs posted:

Ah! To be young and carefree again!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

I wish Canada's was a beaver. They could hang out with New Zealand as having the least intimidating animals representing them.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

sparatuvs posted:

How come it mostly uses the endonym but sometimes (like in France and Portugal) uses the English exonym?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

How come it mostly uses the endonym but sometimes (like in France and Portugal) uses the English exonym?

The French word for France is "France" and the Portuguese word for Portugal is "Portugal."

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
WTF was I looking at?

I guess I was expecting "reina de españa" and etc given ddr and uk and brd but I have no excuse otherwise.

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 10, 2015

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

What about Huddle House

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Tree Goat posted:

WTF was I looking at?

I guess I was expecting "reina de españa" and etc given ddr and uk and brd but I have no excuse otherwise.

It's "reino" not "reina" and the map uses the common name rather than the official name except in cases like the Federal Republic of Germany for obvious reasons.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Westdeutschland would have been massively wrong anyway since it's what the DDR liked to call the BRD.

e: though it was the same with just BRD in later years, so naming it in an even remotely politically correct manner could only have been done with 'Bundesrepublik Deutschland'.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 10, 2015

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Count Roland posted:

I wish Canada's was a beaver. They could hang out with New Zealand as having the least intimidating animals representing them.

No beavers will loving kill you. Those teeth are for cutting through trees and they grow to more than 100 pounds. They tend to be territorial around their dams, especially on land where they feel threatened.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Never gonna get over NZ using a flightless bird on their Air Force roundels. They're pretty much taking the piss.

The springbok was for whatever reason heavily associated with the apartheid regime and after the end of official state apartheid South Africa changed a lot of springboks to other symbols so people wouldn't be faced with the symbol of something they should be supporting being something they associated with the old regime. It's the same reason the name of every sports team, which has been The Springboks under apartheid, was changed (mostly to The Proteas, for the national plant) - with the exception of the rugby team, for complicated national pride and unity reasons.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The local time has been the same within each region since 1970. Indiana, for instance, is balkanized because the time zones have moved across Indiana counties several time -- but note that the bit closest to Chicago is unified with the Midwest. From the tz database.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The local time has been the same within each region since 1970. Indiana, for instance, is balkanized because the time zones have moved across Indiana counties several time -- but note that the bit closest to Chicago is unified with the Midwest. From the tz database.

Indiana except for Gary went permanently Eastern in the mid 2000s as I recall. When I first moved there in '02 we just switched time zones at DST.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Why is Michigan a different color from the rest of the Eastern time zone? Is it because of those border counties that are on Central time?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Soviet Commubot posted:

Why is Michigan a different color from the rest of the Eastern time zone? Is it because of those border counties that are on Central time?

Apparently Michigan did not observe DST from 1968 to 1973.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Percent of the state's population that's serviced by fluoridated water.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Southwestern Indiana is also Central. A bunch of counties ran their own time zone where they didn't observe daylight savings, switching them between eastern and central. The state eventually told them to cut it out and pick one or the other. They all went eastern.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 11, 2015

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

computer parts posted:

Percent of the state's population that's serviced by fluoridated water.

Something something precious bodily fluids!

What's up with Louisiana? Did Katrina destroy the fluoridation plant?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Powered Descent posted:

Something something precious bodily fluids!

What's up with Louisiana? Did Katrina destroy the fluoridation plant?

That or people were displaced and were no longer living in the NOLA area.

I don't have exact numbers for 2006 but New Orleans lost ~100,000 people from 2000 to 2010 and Louisiana as a whole gained 100,000 in that same timeframe. Probably wouldn't be enough to shift that much unless they were right around the 50% mark anyway.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

computer parts posted:

That or people were displaced and were no longer living in the NOLA area.

I don't have exact numbers for 2006 but New Orleans lost ~100,000 people from 2000 to 2010 and Louisiana as a whole gained 100,000 in that same timeframe. Probably wouldn't be enough to shift that much unless they were right around the 50% mark anyway.

New Orleans population 2005: 455,188
New Orleans population 2006: 208,548

It's back up to around 380,000 people now.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
UFO Sightings since 1933. It covers the whole world, you just gotta zoom out.

It's very much population_density.webm

Lektor
May 1, 2013
what is going on with the constant sighting near the west coast of the hudson bay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's where they emerge from the hollow earth.