Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The Jerk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Vorik posted:

How about some good ones instead

Deuce Bigelow: European Gigolo

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Any films which involve walking/driving around classical European towns/cities, and really make use of those locations? Think Before Sunrise (Vienna), Before Sunset/2 Days in Paris (uh, Paris :)), Certified Copy (various places in Tuscany), The Grand Beauty (Rome).

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Ronin

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vorik posted:

Comedy movies?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000558/

Allyn posted:

Any films which involve walking/driving around classical European towns/cities, and really make use of those locations? Think Before Sunrise (Vienna), Before Sunset/2 Days in Paris (uh, Paris :)), Certified Copy (various places in Tuscany), The Grand Beauty (Rome).

In Bruges ? Or do you want something more scenic?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Allyn posted:

The Talented Mr. Ripley.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Allyn posted:

Frantic.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Zaphod42 posted:

In Bruges ? Or do you want something more scenic?

I was thinking scenic, yeah, but my friend's been bugging me to watch IB since about 2010 so I'll probably get round to it now anyway :shobon:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its been awhile but I think Perfume with Alan Rickman had some pretty good European settings. (France I think)

And The Libertine had some cool classical England throughout.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Allyn posted:

Paris, Je T'aime

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Allyn posted:

I was thinking scenic, yeah, but my friend's been bugging me to watch IB since about 2010 so I'll probably get round to it now anyway :shobon:

Good. In Bruges is an amazing movie and one of my absolute favorites.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

TrixRabbi posted:

Deuce Bigelow: European Gigolo

Thank you. This was excellent

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Allyn posted:

Roman Holiday. Incredibly charming movie and I guarantee you will be madly in love with Audrey Hepburn by the end of the film. Or Gregory Peck, I suppose.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Somehow missed this part earlier.

The Lynch Dune movies are pretty old, yeah, but the Sci-Fi miniseries I think is still pretty drat good. Even better is the sci-fi miniseries Children of Dune which follows the story of both Dune Messiah and Children of Dune together.

The pacing, violence, intrigue and sex are all pretty much a carbon copy predecessor to Game of Thrones, so if you like GOT and Dune I don't see why you wouldn't love it.

Yeah, after this and a friend's recommendation, it's probably time to check out the Dune miniseries. Somehow I was under the impression they were low-rent and bad.

On that tangent, since I recently saw Jodorowsky's Dune - what other Jodorowsky movies besides The Holy Mountain (which I've seen) are worth checking out?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Allyn posted:

Midnight in Paris

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Allyn posted:

The Trip and The Trip to Italy would probably work for you, the second one much more so as the first is mostly just countryside.

I'm assuming you've seen Before Midnight but you didn't list it so I'll just make sure.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Yeah, after this and a friend's recommendation, it's probably time to check out the Dune miniseries. Somehow I was under the impression they were low-rent and bad.

On that tangent, since I recently saw Jodorowsky's Dune - what other Jodorowsky movies besides The Holy Mountain (which I've seen) are worth checking out?

I mean, I think they do kinda have that perception with some people. Its a made for television miniseries that was on the sci-fi channel, and at times the budget kinda shows. There is some really great costuming, set design, and even some decent CG for its time, though. Basically if you're not into Dune it would probably seem kinda cheesy but if you're into Dune I think you can look past all that and really enjoy it.

Its interesting, there's things that I like about Lynch's version better, things I like about sci-fi's version better, and things that Jodorowsky would have done better.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

If you enjoyed The Holy Mountain, you have no reason not to watch El Topo.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

El Topo, Santa Sangre, The Dance of Reality, Fando y Lis

In that order.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Are there any good documentaries covering the 80s 'satanic panic'? I will also accept book recommendations

Wyllt
May 6, 2009
Been recently looking for something along the lines of Le Samurai. I love that minimalist jazzy feel.

Also I've been hard pressed to find something that had the same feel of True Detective. The closest I've found was Marshland which I loved. Any recommendations would be great!!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Wyllt posted:

Also I've been hard pressed to find something that had the same feel of True Detective. The closest I've found was Marshland which I loved. Any recommendations would be great!!

The Man Who Wasn't There, kinda sorta.
Anything Lars von Trier, kinda sorta

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wyllt posted:

Been recently looking for something along the lines of Le Samurai. I love that minimalist jazzy feel.

Robert Altman's The Long Goodbye is probably exactly what your looking for.

You probably already know this, but Le Samurai was remade as Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai, which is great. The American starring George Clooney would likely scratch that itch. Hannah and the 1970's version of Day of the Jackal might also fit the category.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Wyllt posted:

you want pickpocket, its actually even better imho

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wyllt posted:

Woo's The Killer. Yeah it's blood opera, but that feel is there.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
john woo is not minimalist. hes overthetopist or maximalist. camera, music, dialogue, the way characters act out their emotions is all trying to beat you over the head with a kitchen sink

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 11, 2015

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Wyllt posted:

Watch the Red Riding movies, the first one is In The Year of Our Lord 1974.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

More movies like Crank? Just ball-to-the-wall, over the top, violent, bloody, adrenaline pumping action. Expendables 2 also fits the bill.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

More movies like Crank? Just ball-to-the-wall, over the top, violent, bloody, adrenaline pumping action. Expendables 2 also fits the bill.

Shoot 'Em Up is pretty great for this. Its both an extremely good parody of action movie cliches and a really great action movie at the same time.

The Raid is non-stop balls to the wall violence, and the sequel The Raid: Redemption is good too, although less focused.

Hobo with a shotgun is surprisingly good if you're willing to accept that it is extreeeeemely over-the-top, to the point of being intentional exploitation film style, like Grindhouse.

Hard Boiled and most Woo films are a little less over-the-top but they're masterpieces of bloody, adrenaline pumping action.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Shoot 'Em Up is pretty great for this. Its both an extremely good parody of action movie cliches and a really great action movie at the same time.

The Raid is non-stop balls to the wall violence, and the sequel The Raid: Redemption is good too, although less focused.

Hobo with a shotgun is surprisingly good if you're willing to accept that it is extreeeeemely over-the-top, to the point of being intentional exploitation film style, like Grindhouse.

Hard Boiled and most Woo films are a little less over-the-top but they're masterpieces of bloody, adrenaline pumping action.

I couldn't get very far into Hobo with a Shotgun due to the sadistic "nastiness," but I love all your other choices. And I have to recommend The Killer, John Woo's earlier magnum opus, especially as a double-feature with Hard Boiled.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I couldn't get very far into Hobo with a Shotgun due to the sadistic "nastiness," but I love all your other choices. And I have to recommend The Killer, John Woo's earlier magnum opus, especially as a double-feature with Hard Boiled.

Honestly the first time I watched it I turned it off too because of the nastiness. Its really awkward if you try to approach it like any kind of a normal movie.

Then I went and played Hotline Miami a bunch, and then something kinda clicked, and I went back and watched Hobo again and it all made sense.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Are there any other neon-noir movies in the vein of Thief or Drive?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cantaloupe posted:

I don't really know what neon-noir is. Drive didn't really have a lot of neon in it.

Oh, did you typo Neo-noir?

If so, check out Brick.

Although I just googled "neon noir" and this came up http://letterboxd.com/breeefcase/list/15-neon-noir/

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I misspelled neo. "Neon-noir" is still pretty appropriate for Thief though. Brick and a few of the ones on that list seem pretty interesting, I'll check them out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cantaloupe posted:

Yeah, I misspelled neo. "Neon-noir" is still pretty appropriate for Thief though. Brick and a few of the ones on that list seem pretty interesting, I'll check them out.

That website probably made the same typo :haw:

I can confirm that Brick and Strange Days are both enjoyable and Noir style. Strange Days would actually probably count as "neon-noir" too because its cyberpunk :cheeky:

Blade Runner of course is a quintessential classic. I'm not sure how I saw it a couple times before I really fell for it, I guess I was young and its kinda a slow movie. But SO good.

Haven't seen the others personally.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
To Live and Die in L.A. and The Driver are good ones. for me its about using stuff like urban street lighting to create contrast, using this as one of the main ways to tell the story visually. Like refn picked locations for drive by going around LA in the middle of the night

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Devil in a Blue Dress and After Dark, My Sweet.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
I think what he wants (I want the same) is a movie that goes slightly into noir but mainly fetishizes urban landscapes and synth pop with protagonists that communicate a lot but mainly dont use words to communicate.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i recommended those movies before clicking on that link and both of them are on the list so its good im not the only one who 1) sees that there is a common theme 2) likes those movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Kvlt! posted:

nth-ing Shoot 'Em Up! and also recommending Give 'em Hell Malone starring Thomas Jane,

Cantaloupe posted:

Klute
The Driver
starring Ryan O'Neal

• Locked thread