Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yes

E;fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Looks like a ripoff of eve onion to me

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

But he has a point
What's about all the crew of your ship? Those deaths without clones? We never commemorate them
I remember i read something something of crew sizes on ships, and titans werein the order of 1000+

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

RattiRatto posted:

But he has a point
What's about all the crew of your ship? Those deaths without clones? We never commemorate them
I remember i read something something of crew sizes on ships, and titans werein the order of 1000+

Crew is dumb ccp fluff. The idea is that anyone who signs on with a capsuleer is basically guaranteed a violent death, but millions still do because isk is worth bajillions in planetbux. There was actually a marginally decent book written about how real people tend to really hate capsuleers and their flagrant disregard for the denizens of all the random bullshit you destroy to get the shiny dead space loot within.

DanoTuka
Apr 8, 2015

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yes

It was probably inspired by the recent CCP vids with a similar tone

Those Scope videos are awesome and I hope they keep making them.

Mexplosivo
Mar 8, 2007

The monetary system is not ratified by society yet it shapes and dictates our entire existence...

RattiRatto posted:

But he has a point

This is EVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfkNvOOiZ_8

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

ChickenWing posted:

Crew is dumb ccp fluff. The idea is that anyone who signs on with a capsuleer is basically guaranteed a violent death, but millions still do because isk is worth bajillions in planetbux. There was actually a marginally decent book written about how real people tend to really hate capsuleers and their flagrant disregard for the denizens of all the random bullshit you destroy to get the shiny dead space loot within.

But before the crew fluff people were literally arguing over if the ships had crews or were just fully automated.

McGuirk
Jan 28, 2010

I'll take you out, buddy!
https://www.reddit.com/r/Karmafleet/comments/31zxfq/dear_snoobies_fellow_goons_and_mysterious_goon/

WELP.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

ChickenWing posted:

I remember missions where you fly in and pirates come out to fight you while they try to give time for their citizens to evacuate the space station in a suicide mission. Reading those missions was p good.

McGuirk
Jan 28, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/Karmafleet/comments/31zxfq/dear_snoobies_fellow_goons_and_mysterious_goon/

WELP.

McGuirk fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 9, 2015

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I just caught up on the last 3000 or so posts in this thread, and it's been a wild ride.

So is top goon actually doing anything in Delve?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

ChickenWing posted:

You read an Eve book. Shameful.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Superstring posted:

I own all three :sun:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Superstring posted:

all books, if written well, deserve to be read :eng101:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

McGuirk posted:

WELP.

I came with honesty and got the door shut in my face, asked about it, and now it's a joke? This feels... wrong?

Should I have lied? I loving told them straight up my intentions... feels like a cock move.

Maybe they dont want pizza alts honest or dishonest. :shrug: Deal with it?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

ChickenWing posted:

:sun::hf::eng101:

McGuirk
Jan 28, 2010

Spaceman Future! posted:

Maybe they dont want pizza alts honest or dishonest. :shrug: Deal with it?

I am dealing with it, but it still hurts. :(

I shall not falter in my service to Martin!!!!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

various cheeses posted:

I just caught up on the last 3000 or so posts in this thread, and it's been a wild ride.

So is top goon actually doing anything in Delve?

Vaguely? Two or three blackops guys and two or three topgoon guys are doing things together.

Edit: Usually if you poke around in the pipes to where the Bad Guys are deployed you'll find me either solo camping or doing stuff with a few other guys.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 9, 2015

Huttan
May 15, 2013

DanoTuka posted:

Just don't forget your whore drones.

I didn't forget them all the time. I also made sure to bring hull repair and the opposite sex ones from the logi I was flying.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

ChickenWing posted:

I was thinking about giving them a go. How are them? Any suggestion on which to start from?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Ynglaur posted:

Given how generous our SRP is, I'm sometimes surprised that anyone flies logi.

Flying logistic ships is a lifestyle choice. :roboluv:

DanoTuka posted:

Just don't forget your whore drones.

Zephyrine posted:

Yes you can carry whatever drones you like in a Logistics ships. We have recommended drones but we don't really care.

Personally I carry half Armour and half Hull medium repair drones on Shield Logi and just Hull repair drones on armour logi.

When we get some spare time they're pretty neat for restoring fleet members buffers after a fight.

Repair drones definitely beat whore drones. There's often a lot of downtime between skirmishes and sometimes every bit of HP counts. Whores stands on dark street corners, they don't captain spaceships. :colbert:

Dalael fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 9, 2015

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Zasze posted:

So making other people do all the work but loudly complaining about all the space work you have to do?

I don't do space work anymore other than FCing here and there. And it's great. Garnt does all the space work now, and he was a newbee last time I was playing. The cycle continues.

:mad: but you aren't logging in what the hell man

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

McGuirk posted:

I am dealing with it, but it still hurts. :(

I shall not falter in my service to Martin!!!!

Just say Globby said to let you in, that should work.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Dalael posted:

Flying logistic ships is a lifestyle choice. :roboluv:

Repair drones definitely beat whore drones. There's often a lot of downtime between skirmishes and sometimes every bit of HP counts. Whores stands on dark street corners, they don't captain spaceships. :colbert:

Bring a depot, and all flavours of rep bots or DPS drones (+1 sentry for the real pros) in your hold.

You're welcome.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

RattiRatto posted:

But he has a point

Yep, ships with capsuleers still have crew -- although it's a smaller crew. A Dominix will have ~400 crew members for a standard ship, but ~200 members if controlled by a capsuleer. (And that's on the low end, as Gallente ships have a lot of automation; Minmatar ships have much higher crew counts.)

Average people hate and fear capsuleers for a couple of reasons:

1) They're loving ridiculously rich by planetary standards.

Some of the early lore stated that a single isk was enough to live a comfortable life planet-side for one year; that's fallen out of date now. IIRC, someone on Reddit figured out from NPC buy orders for some commodity (I want to say dairy products) that one isk was roughly equivalent to $500 in 2015 dollars -- so, 7 isk would be the median annual income for the UK.

Most players' couch-cushion change would be enough to feed, clothe, and entertain an entire planet for a century. So, being crew on a capsuleer ship is ridiculously dangerous, but also will provide for you, your family, your family's family, etc. for the foreseeable future. But at the same time, you're little more than an ant to them, and they will readily throw your life away for isk or glory, so you hate them.

You think Paris Hilton is out of touch with the lives of normal people? She's got nothing on capsuleers.

2) Becoming a capsuleer is hard and unpredictable.

Not only is it hugely expensive to undergo the training in the first place, but there's a huge laundry list of genetic and physical conditions that may prevent you from becoming one. It's basically only an option for the richest of the landed nobility, and even they don't have much chances of becoming one. Only 5% of those who enter basic training will end up succeeding at becoming a capsuleer. And even if you pass the training...

3) It's creepy as poo poo, because you're technically a zombie.

The catch to the Eve universe's cloning technology is that it's destructive -- the brain scanner burns your brain tissue as it scans it. If you try to scan someone's brain while they're alive, it doesn't react well to this, and throws off the scan, resulting in a vegetable when the clone wakes up. For this reason, the pod actually kills you before it scans you; when a capsule detects a hull breach, it immediately injects a fast-acting toxin into you and kills you in a matter of microseconds, and then fires off the scanner as soon as it detects that you're dead. So, the final step of becoming a capsuleer involves undergoing voluntary lethal injection to test that you're compatible with the cloning system. A lot of would-be capsuleers don't have the nerve for it and go home at that stage.

You're not "moving" from one clone to another -- you die, full stop, and then are raised from the dead later.

4) Spending years in a capsule tends to make you go insane.

When Jovians first gave capsule technology to the empires, it was strongly customized to Jovian bodies, which are quite different from current humans. The first attempts at using them with humans were disastrous. (Google "eve wetgrave" if you're curious.) Even when they did get it working with humans, a lot of them would develop lots of mental issues from it. Also, cloning and brain scanning hadn't been developed yet, so you were still mortal; all it gave you was superior control over spaceships.

e: VVVVV we're all crazy down here :getin:

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 10, 2015

Mexplosivo
Mar 8, 2007

The monetary system is not ratified by society yet it shapes and dictates our entire existence...
If you're a capsuleer (play EVE), you have mental issues. Is that a good summary of EVE lore?

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
"1 isk is the yearly income of an average family"

*spends 10b on a coat*

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
:allears: I could listen to/read Ullerm posts all day long. :allears:

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Narciss posted:

*spends 10b on a coat*

It was a REALLY nice coat though.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Where does auraxum or whatever come into this, I'm not clear on what it does.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Anias posted:

I don't think this is really a concern. If you are hitting the SRP cap with logi cruisers you are doing something silly, they just don't die that much outside of full fleet whelps.
Logi is pretty much the first thing to die in most fights. Also, with the goonwaffe bonus you hit the peacetime cap in about 3 deaths. It's absolutely a concern.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Narciss posted:

*spends 10b on a coat*

You know, when you think about it, that's really loving funny. Right now, the current exchange rate is ~275,000 isk per AUR. A pair of heels for a female character cost 250 AUR, so ~70M isk.

So, a single pair of high-fashion shoes for a capsuleer costs the same as the annual GDP of Jordan, and your coat is equivalent to the annual GDP of Japan.

In other words:

CashEnsign posted:

It was a REALLY nice coat though.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ullerrm posted:

3) It's creepy as poo poo, because you're technically a zombie.

The catch to the Eve universe's cloning technology is that it's destructive -- the brain scanner burns your brain tissue as it scans it. If you try to scan someone's brain while they're alive, it doesn't react well to this, and throws off the scan, resulting in a vegetable when the clone wakes up. For this reason, the pod actually kills you before it scans you; when a capsule detects a hull breach, it immediately injects a fast-acting toxin into you and kills you in a matter of microseconds, and then fires off the scanner as soon as it detects that you're dead. So, the final step of becoming a capsuleer involves undergoing voluntary lethal injection to test that you're compatible with the cloning system. A lot of would-be capsuleers don't have the nerve for it and go home at that stage.
Even calling it a zombie is generous. Capsuleers are infomorphs - digitised consciousnesses; a piece of software that runs on a cloned brain. Dixie Flatline from neuromancer comes close, the main difference being that capsuleers aren't read-only. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does all of this apply to rats too? When reading that I assumed it was just players, but now that I think about, you kill a lot of people with each ship.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

ullerrm posted:

So, the final step of becoming a capsuleer involves undergoing voluntary lethal injection to test that you're compatible with the cloning system. A lot of would-be capsuleers don't have the nerve for it and go home at that stage.

To test? So you could pay all that money and come all that way just to die horribly because you weren't compatible?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I said come in! posted:

Does all of this apply to rats too? When reading that I assumed it was just players, but now that I think about, you kill a lot of people with each ship.

Non-officer rats are supposed to be regular ships with regular (i.e. fairly large) crews, so yes - a lot of people die when you go ratting.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Tippis posted:

Even calling it a zombie is generous. Capsuleers are infomorphs - digitised consciousnesses; a piece of software that runs on a cloned brain. Dixie Flatline from neuromancer comes close, the main difference being that capsuleers aren't read-only. :v:

There's a chronicle where the POV capsuleer muses something like "why do we even bother with bodies at this point? Why don't we just stay digital ghosts forever?" Probably that's too Eclipse Phase and not MMO-appliable enough to explore, however.

I said come in! posted:

Some rats are stated to be capsuleers, some are just crewed by unlucky jerks that had the misfortune to sign in as a Serpentis deckhand when you were trying to unfuck your Gallente standings or something.

Artificer posted:

To test? So you could pay all that money and come all that way just to die horribly because you weren't compatible?

Pretty much. It's a rough thing.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Tippis posted:

Nope -- you're thinking of clone soldiers. Capsuleers are a little more traditional.

When they're bringing a capsuleer back after death, they feed the brain scan data to a "cortex constructor" which builds a scaffold containing nerve and glial cells in the same shape as the brain. So, you've got the same dendrite paths as the original, but no energy/activity in it. Then, they send electrical impulses through it to custom-tune it to produce the exact same shapes and activation energy levels as the original.

This is actually supposed to be a loving creepy experience for someone who just got podded: They're recreating your brain from basic functions upward, while it's in a living body. So you'll initially gain consciousness with no memories or skills (or ability to control your body), then feel your memories/ego slowly fade back into prominence as the activation process completes. It can take several hours for you to fully "arrive" at the receiving end of a clone transfer.

Clone soldiers, on the other hand, are even creepier. They do the destructive brain scan in a lab, which kills you. They then run your brain scan through a piece of stolen Sleeper-authored software that analyzes your brain and separates out your ego/consciousness from your physical processing, and converts the ego/consciousness into a bit of software that can be run. The brain of a clone soldier is a computer-designed custom brain that is basically a lizard brain cranked up to 11, and your consciousness runs as a program inside an implant in that brain.

The Sleepers have gone full Eclipse Phase-esque informorph... and we have no idea how they've done it.

fakeedit: :words: :spergin: :ullerrm:

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 10, 2015

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Artificer posted:

Correct. They try to pre-screen extensively for it, but they won't know with 100% confidence until you actually try it.

e: VVVVV

Huge_Midget posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees a lot of parallels between capsuleer technology and the technology of the Sprawl Trilogy and other books like Snow Crash. I loved me some cyberpunk/space sci-fi.

Minor derail: You should look into Eclipse Phase, then. It's a tabletop RPG that is basically Call of Cthulhu in Space.

TLDR of the setting:

* Humanity reaches a technology level roughly equal to that of Neuromancer: brain scanning, consciousness transfer, basic non-trivial AI, advanced nano-construction, and early colonization of the solar system.

* Alien intelligence discovers Earth, and starts subtly modifying live military AIs.

* Military AIs do a hard take-off and start World War IV, complete with unrestrained gray goo. Earth is rendered completely uninhabitable; 90% of humanity perishes, with the sole survivors being the ones out on the various off-world colonies. The survivors declare Earth to be a no-go zone, and start repopulating on their various colonies.

* All sorts of stupid human poo poo happens, resulting in each planet (and nearby space stations) having a slightly different economic system: Mars is capitalist, Jupiter is a military dictatorship, Neptune is an anarchist collective with a reputation system, and so on. The vast majority of humans, either by choice or by health emergency, end up becoming infomorphs -- programs running on shells with varying degrees of fleshiness. (Basilisk hacks are a thing.)

* Posthumanity starts discovering quickly that they are not alone, that most aliens is creepy as gently caress, and many of them may not have their best interests at heart.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Tippis posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees a lot of parallels between capsuleer technology and the technology of the Sprawl Trilogy and other books like Snow Crash. I loves me some cyberpunk/space sci-fi.

Huge_Midget fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 10, 2015

• Locked thread