Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The way I see it, there are two problems with "gifted" (read: expensive) private schools.

1: They are a massive waste of money and the people that run them are for-profit scam artists.
2: They set kids up for failure by telling them over and over how gifted and smart and better than everyone else they are. Kids either become selfish assholes that never work for anything and coast through life or neurotic perfectionists that pop Xanax all day because they can't live up to mommy and daddy's expectations.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

"I just want the best for my kids" is a brilliant bit of implied "I guess you don't love your kids as much as I love mine".

It's even worse than that. It's "I have such ridiculous expectations of my kids that they can never live up to."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
you can either care and raise your kids yourself or pay a bunch of money and have it done by third parties but hey it beats just letting them rot while you veg out on American Idol

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

If your reaction is because it is ludicrous to spend this much money on a kid, I'm with you, buddy

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
How about we not derail the thread with bickering about everyone's personal bone about child rearing and stick to bitching about our jobs?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

go3 posted:

you can either care and raise your kids yourself or pay a bunch of money and have it done by third parties but hey it beats just letting them rot while you veg out on American Idol
I'm giving serious thought to enrolling my kid in Snoop's child rearing program so they can have some real world experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhbrAkY_58s

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

SaltLick posted:

A girl I briefly dated went to one of the premiere private schools in the country until the last year of high school in which she had to go to public. Whoops that public high school doesn't look so hot on college applications to the best schools.

Lol to anyone that sends their kids to private school unless it's one that more or less guarantees your entry into an Ivy League

She likes it and she's enjoying learning and that's why we're cool with the price tag.

Looks like I touched someone's nerve by admitting to paying to not put my kid in one of the lowest-ranked public school systems in the USA. Seriously, most parents are just working their butts off trying to do the best by their kids. I don't get why anyone gets angry about this.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

meanieface posted:

She likes it and she's enjoying learning and that's why we're cool with the price tag.

Looks like I touched someone's nerve by admitting to paying to not put my kid in one of the lowest-ranked public school systems in the USA. Seriously, most parents are just working their butts off trying to do the best by their kids. I don't get why anyone gets angry about this.

It's your money, but consider that if you can afford to spend that much on daycare then you can probably afford to move to a state and area with good public schools.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

meanieface posted:

admitting to paying to not put my kid in one of the lowest-ranked public school systems in the USA.

It's also why I can't/won't take a job that would require us to move--it'd be hard to find another place like this for my kid.

Man, that college degree sure paid off in the critical thinking department.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I took a critical thinking class in college, pass/no pass.

I no pass. :cripes:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This loving thread.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Seriously what the gently caress is going on

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Seriously what the gently caress is going on
Honestly is this any worse than the usual topics?

- Is having a degree a good thing?
- What should I do to get off the helpdesk?
- Unions
- Should I do this thing which will obviously improve my career?
- I had an interview today.

We basically talk about the same things over and over, why not mix it up?

I'll start - Kevin Harvick, how's he doing that?

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

- Unions

You missed one: Should I own a smartphone? Should work pay for it?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

- Unions

I had to google who Kevin Harvick is.

I knew someone was getting poo poo on in this thread when I saw how many unread posts it was. I thought another SATA cable had been swapped.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 9, 2015

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
How long until the bitching that the Apple watch doesn't work right with exchange or sharepoint or god knows what

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sickening posted:

I had to google who Kevin Harvick is.
Between this and your misuse of queue when you meant cue earlier this morning, you're pushing me baby.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
You guys forgot about BBQ chat, that can, and will, pop up on any given thread on this site.

My 2 cents on the gifted schools/programs is that they can help the truly gifted understand themselves and others better. I wish I had something more than what was available as a kid because I had to learn some very hard lessons growing up, and ended up failing out of college the first time because I literally had no study habits because I coasted through school till that point. That does not excuse the outrageous cost and other side effects that KillHour mentioned.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Between this and your misuse of queue when you meant cue earlier this morning, you're pushing me baby.
And I thought nobody noticed. :allears:

Of all things to poo poo on someone for I am a tad surprised how quick that came to be. Maybe there is another subforum where that is more often discussed topic and goons are ready to pull the trigger to let the making GBS threads commence. If I was to guess, is it DND or something?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mayodreams posted:

You guys forgot about BBQ chat, that can, and will, pop up on any given thread on this site.

My 2 cents on the gifted schools/programs is that they can help the truly gifted understand themselves and others better. I wish I had something more than what was available as a kid because I had to learn some very hard lessons growing up, and ended up failing out of college the first time because I literally had no study habits because I coasted through school till that point. That does not excuse the outrageous cost and other side effects that KillHour mentioned.

The solution to this is AP classes for subjects students find interesting (even if your school doesn't offer them, you can often find ones after school at nearby private schools or colleges) that engage and challenge students without pigeonholing them into the FYGM ivy league crew. They're also free or inexpensive.

And the solution to instilling good study habits in your children is to take a goddamn interest in them and help them with their homework/projects/studying. Big test coming up? Study together! Public schools get poo poo ratings because the parents don't care, not because the teachers are bad. Generally, parents of private school kids care (at least a little bit) about their children's education, and so the kids tend to do better. Parents that send their kids to overpriced "special" schools tend to care even more, so the kids do even better. It's almost like loving magic!

Private school parents are like the goddamn audiophiles of the education world. How can you care so much and yet understand so little about the subject?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

TeMpLaR posted:

How long until the bitching that the Apple watch doesn't work right with exchange or sharepoint or god knows what

AFAIK, the Apple Watch is incapable of doing anything without being paired to an iPhone, so that stuff should work fine, because the iWatch is basically a dumb device that functions as another screen for your iPhone.

mayodreams posted:

I'd disagree with the idea that you need an entire parallel system of education just to teach people study habits. Learning how to deal with people is also a very hard lesson, and one that schools full of special gifted snowflakes fail hard at. I didn't have any study habits either, but that's plain laziness. Minneapolis had a great education system and I was in AP/honor courses basically 100% of the way through high school. I went through them with Cs because I couldn't be hosed studying. Going to a gifted school will not fix that problem.

Plus there's the whole "studies show that telling kids effort counts instead of innate ability makes them do better on tests" thing, and having schools full of special gifted snowflakes kind of abrogates that. As well as the studies about having gifted kids in "normal" classes bringing up the class average and the "gifted" kid's scores.

What benefits are there in reality to having "gifted" schools?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sickening posted:

And I thought nobody noticed. :allears:

Of all things to poo poo on someone for I am a tad surprised how quick that came to be. Maybe there is another subforum where that is more often discussed topic and goons are ready to pull the trigger to let the making GBS threads commence. If I was to guess, is it DND or something?

We spend all day calling our users/customers out for being morons. Of course you're going to get dogpiled in this thread for literally anything.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

Public schools get poo poo ratings because the parents don't care, not because the teachers are bad. Generally, parents of private school kids care (at least a little bit) about their children's education, and so the kids tend to do better.

This derail is stupid, but holy poo poo you're actually loving insane if you unironically think this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

This derail is stupid, but holy poo poo you're actually loving insane if you unironically think this.

God I hate this derail. Let me contribute to it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sickening posted:

Every topic is a derail! The rest of your life isn't even remotely related to working in IT! Let's hate everything!

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Didn't think asking about making a little extra cash on the side would derail this bad :ohdear:

Doesn't matter anyways, both sides decided it would be a conflict of interest before I could turn down the offer.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

mayodreams posted:

I live in Texas, let me tell you about BBQ....

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sickening posted:

I do too, but I hate not getting the last word even more.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

skipdogg posted:

I live in Texas, let me tell you about BBQ....

I'm going to Austin this weekend for a wedding. Maybe it's high time I try out Franklins

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

SaltLick posted:

I'm going to Austin this weekend for a wedding. Maybe it's high time I try out Franklins

Username + post combo is excellent.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

You guys are looking at this derail all wrong. Apparently people pay top dollar for daycare. That inevitably means there is some lovely niche software that daycares run. Let's focus on that crappy software some poor rear end in a top hat has to support. Of course Im going to go ahead and assume that any computer running this software is stuffed full of crayons and connected to an early 00's HP inkjet printer.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sacred Cow posted:

Didn't think asking about making a little extra cash on the side would derail this bad :ohdear:

Doesn't matter anyways, both sides decided it would be a conflict of interest before I could turn down the offer.

For what it's worth I sort of do this at the moment for a small company that I used to work for and have history with - best man at weddings of the directors etc., and it's completely not worth it for the few thousand a year that it brings in. I'm on the verge of giving them notice to find someone else because with the extra few hours a week I could make a decent stab at :yotj: to a position that more than covers the loss of earnings, as well as actually advancing my career.

Being a remote IT manager is a terrible position to be in, because the majority of that work is having a sit down and explaining why you need budget for x and the consequences of not doing it. When you're just an email or the voice on the end of a phone then it's a lot easier to ignore, and it just causes resentment from both sides I think - from me who can't see why these important issues aren't being given the attention they deserve because I have zero overview of the rest of the day to day at the organisation in question, and from the company who see it as nagging.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 9, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SaltLick posted:

I don't like the popular BBQ joints unless you just have a burning desire to eat there. Seriously, in no world is waiting 3 hours for Brisket appropriate when other places are 97% just as good. I don't need +5 hipster cred so I don't go there.

I may get tar'd and feathered for this, but my favorite BBQ joint doesn't even get recognized because he cooks with gas and isn't "true" BBQ.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Give your child an apple watch and have them raised by the ghost of Steve Jobs. Praise be to him.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees).
Sprinkle both sides of brisket with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place in a large covered roasting pan.
Cook covered with no water at 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) allowing 1 hour per pound.
Before last hour of cooking, remove brisket and slice.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Guys, guys. Let's chill out, rerail and discuss something more on-topic. PYF thing you drink to forget:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Docjowles posted:

Guys, guys. Let's chill out, rerail and discuss something more on-topic. PYF thing you drink to forget:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Gas. BBQ. My sides.

Braised brisket is cool.

Drink to forget?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Docjowles posted:

I'm a beer guy, so:

My go to is Hella Hoppy. When it's available, Scarcity is awesome.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ardbeg and/or Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I finally got Icinga2 installed and working, even got some basic host configs done (so at least all my servers and firewalls are pinged), but now I can't get it to email me.

I really hate their "documentation", and it's made worse by their support posts/IRC where they just say some version of "RTFM". I did RTFM, the FM sucks dicks.

E: But I'll drink something from the whiskey family to make me feel better.