Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If America had UHC, this conversation wouldn't have happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Radbot posted:

Understandable when you can't comprehend how America's social insurance programs work.

Well you see she already has insurance and is in and use to whatever system of doctors that insurance works with but I guess I'm just white knighting a pregnant woman for thinking that having to get new insurance and maybe new doctors with a month left in the pregnancy is a bad thing.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
150 new posts huh I wonder who died...

Oh

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Her husbands actions are the only reason she first got health insurance then is what is allowing her to get special treatment. If it wasn't for her husband's actions she wouldn't have gotten the special extension.
Who cares? Whatever reason, the state's willing to help her. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, et al.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Oh wow, from the way you were hammering on about how you truly understood the plight of the poor on a deep and personal level I figured you'd have more than a whopping four notches on your belt.

Sorry that wasn't enough for you. How many have you helped, again?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well you see she already has insurance and is in and use to whatever system of doctors that insurance works with but I guess I'm just white knighting a pregnant woman for thinking that having to get new insurance and maybe new doctors with a month left in the pregnancy is a bad thing.

I'm honestly more concerned about the man who was murdered than the inconvenience of an unrelated party. I own that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

Calling it a raid implies it wasn't actually a setup to kill him, which it was. The cops with him knew what to expect which is why they made sure to leave as he tried to get in the door where someone with a gun just happened to be waiting to shoot him immediately. The cop that did respond later mentioned if they realized who they were helping they'd have let him die instead.

The NYPD is so corrupt that it's beyond believe and it's a shame the feds will never clean house there. The NYPD was even kind enough to show how loving terrible they were when they did their work stoppage poo poo recently and minorities in the city were commenting on how nice it was to not be accosted by (white) cops constantly for no reason.

A few pages back but gently caress it, this thread goes too fast to care.

I was reading Tales from the Stakeout Squad, about Jim Cirillo and others who were part of a controversial NYPD unit of the 60s and 70s. They were placed in the back of stores, banks, etc. that were repeatedly robbed and would jump out and confront attempted robbers; I can't comment on their efficacy, though as far as I know they didn't shoot any unarmed people (though they gladly shot armed people who ran, and there was one story of the clerk at the pharmacy they were staking out shooting someone who just had his finger sticking out of his coat and the officer on duty told him that they'd stage it so the clerk wouldn't get convicted for it).

Cirillo commented on the Serpico case, and his opinion is quite damning for the NYPD at the time. He and other officers viewed Serpico as essentially a tattletale who had gotten officers in trouble for breaking regulations in the past, and said that "if he didn't want to get involved, he shouldn't have asked to transfer to Narcotics." Cirillo even painted the theft of drugs by the vice squad in a positive light, as they used the drugs to bribe junkies to snitch.

Accounts of Cirillo don't paint him as a bad cop and he apparently negotiated and talked to people instead of abusing them and to make them more reticent to arrest, but he certainly wasn't the kind to let regulation stand in the way of what he viewed as justice. And even though initially he was aghast at the idea of killing other people and almost didn't volunteer for SOU, he and his partner eventually got so eager to experiment with their custom handloads that they were nicknamed "the two ghouls" for rushing into the morgue to examine the remains of their victims to see how the bullets performed in soft tissue. Don't think he ever enjoyed killing, but he seems to have rapidly desensitized.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Really you all should just donate if you're that worried and overflowing with compassion: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/michael-t-slager-support-fund

haha oh man, good poo poo. i bet he likes murdercop. hell, i bet he white knights a pregnant woman even.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

Sorry that wasn't enough for you. How many have you helped, again?

Actually, I volunteer a large amount of my time with the mentally challenged. At least an hour or two every day, in fact.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It is a bad thing, but that doesn't mean an exception should be made just for her while we ignore all the awful things that are happening to non-cop-wives.

R. Mute posted:

Who cares? Whatever reason, the state's willing to help her. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, et al.

We're not the ones receiving the gift, we're the ones paying for it. I agree she should probably take the deal, but it doesn't make it good policy for the rest of us.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Radbot posted:

Like I said, I've helped four people get signed up for Medicaid, since you asked. One of them had their poo poo genuinely saved as they didn't know about retroactive eligibility, the other three probably would've figured it out themselves to be honest.

What have you done, besides post, post, post, post? No credibility or anything here, just genuinely interested. I'll cede the Gold to you at whatever olympics or poo poo you were talking about.
Me, personally, I've helped sign up five people. One more than you.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Her husbands actions are the only reason she first got health insurance then is what is allowing her to get special treatment. If it wasn't for her husband's actions she wouldn't have gotten the special extension.

Really you all should just donate if you're that worried and overflowing with compassion: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/michael-t-slager-support-fund

lol, yes thinking his pregnant wife should take the help offered her is EXACTLY THE SAME as supporting the murderer husband

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

R. Mute posted:

Why should her husband's actions factor into this? The state's willing to help, simple as that.

R. Mute posted:

It is not the role of the state to pick and choose individuals who deserve its 'charity'.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Actually, I volunteer a large amount of my time with the mentally challenged. At least an hour or two every day, in fact.

That's awesome. Good for you, PTD.

R. Mute posted:

Me, personally, I've helped sign up five people. One more than you.

That's fantastic, man. It seems a bit coincidental, but I'm glad to hear it. Finally, some people are interested in helping people instead of scoring points on a message board.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gas thread, ban everyone.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Radbot posted:

I'm honestly more concerned about the man who was murdered than the inconvenience of an unrelated party. I own that.

Oh I'm sorry, I was too busy white knighting a pregnant woman to realize that this was an either/or situation and not a bunch of morons wanting to punish his wife for something she had nothing to do.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

We're not the ones receiving the gift, we're the ones paying for it. I agree she should probably take the deal, but it doesn't make it good policy for the rest of us.
You'd be the one paying for UHC too.

JT Jag posted:

It is not the role of the state to pick and choose individuals who deserve its 'charity'.
But until UHC is enacted, shouldn't we take whatever we can get for the time being?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol, yes thinking his pregnant wife should take the help offered her is EXACTLY THE SAME as supporting the murderer husband

Glad we've moved the goalposts from "is it good policy to give special treatment to the families of criminal cops" to "should someone accept free insurance they get because they married a murderer."

I agree, she should take the deal. Doesn't make it a good deal for the rest of us.

R. Mute posted:

You'd be the one paying for UHC too.

But until UHC is enacted, shouldn't we take whatever we can get for the time being?

At least that would be universal policy. We won't get UHC by providing insurance benefits to the families of criminal cops and they aren't even the most in need population.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

whitey delenda est posted:

150 new posts huh I wonder who died...

Oh

A black man. Which is why 150 posts have been about a white woman.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Oh I'm sorry, I was too busy white knighting a pregnant woman to realize that this was an either/or situation and not a bunch of morons wanting to punish his wife for something she had nothing to do.

It's OK, no problem.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

R. Mute posted:

Of course she should take what she's offered. Without hesitation. Take it with both hands. It's not her fault that the government has double-standards.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Don't doxx Fried Chicken

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Glad we've moved the goalposts from "is it good policy to give special treatment to the families of criminal cops" to "should someone accept free insurance they get because they married a murderer."

I agree, she should take the deal. Doesn't make it a good deal for the rest of us.

Oh no a pregnant woman is getting health insurance, what an awful deal for the rest of us and totally not a chance to vent police outrage on a person who committed no crime.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

And? We should give everyone the benefit of the doubt, not punish the wife of a murderer because we don't like police.

This is wrong, and they should be forced to flee the state with a mob chasing them.

Also ensure that the kid has access to police explorer scholarships when they enter Liberty University.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 9, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is that someone or just a rando shithead?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Oh no a pregnant woman is getting health insurance, what an awful deal for the rest of us and totally not a chance to vent police outrage on a person who committed no crime.

It's funny how you choose to rage against a few posters on this forum, which helps no one, instead of raging against the SC legislature who are the only people who could have ensured this woman would have appropriate medical care regardless of whether her insurance was extended. Whether or not this woman will actually be covered is meaningless to you, it's more important to get those gotchas in.

Funny in a sad way, I mean.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which the Daily Caller's media "reporter" is caught with a failing sarcasm detector.

zoux posted:

Is that someone or just a rando shithead?

Just some guy at Rand's South Carolina rally today.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

At least that would be universal policy. We won't get UHC by providing insurance benefits to the families of criminal cops and they aren't even the most in need population.
You won't, but that doesn't mean you should be against the state trying to help her. UHC's a whole different issue.

JT Jag posted:

Of course she should take what she's offered. Without hesitation. Take it with both hands. It's not her fault that the government has double-standards.
But what I'm saying is that you shouldn't be against the state offering it either.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

How does one "use" a bible? Like... to prop up a wobbly table leg, or maybe to kill bugs?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Radbot posted:

It's funny how you choose to rage against a few posters on this forum, which helps no one, instead of raging against the SC legislature who are the only people who could have ensured this woman would have appropriate medical care regardless of whether her insurance was extended. Whether or not this woman will actually be covered is meaningless to you, it's more important to get those gotchas in.

Funny in a sad way, I mean.

Well the SC legislature isn't in this thread unironically saying 'white knighting a pregnant woman' so you'll have to do until someone buys them accounts.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

How does one "use" a bible? Like... to prop up a wobbly table leg, or maybe to kill bugs?

You should see his grouping down at the bible range.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Its just another example of how police get treated insanely better than the rest of us, yes. Even if a cop gets fired and his union refuses to defend him, even then, he'll still be able to work out a special deal for free insurance for his family. What a world to live in...where not getting that special deal is considering "being punished."

R. Mute posted:

You won't, but that doesn't mean you should be against the state trying to help her. UHC's a whole different issue.

But what I'm saying is that you shouldn't be against the state offering it either.

I'm against the state giving her a special deal because she's the wife of a cop and because there are people who are more in need than she is who won't get help because they didn't marry a cop.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well the SC legislature isn't in this thread unironically saying 'white knighting a pregnant woman' so you'll have to do until someone buys them accounts.

I did say that, yes! Feel free to quote the post, too. And I mean it when I say I'd keep the av around if you want to buy it, too.

You gonna do it?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm against the state trying to help her because she's the wife of a cop

At least you're honest. Thank you for this.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganglion_cyst

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm against the state trying to help her because she's the wife of a cop and because there are people who are more in need than she is who won't get help because they didn't marry a cop.
That's not a very good reason. It's not like the state only has one person left that they can help and she's filling up that spot. Let the state help her and demand UHC, you don't have to pick between the two.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

The only way you score a point is by literally removing words from a sentence to make it mean what you want it to mean. Get better.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

What a gotcha there. It was poor phrasing, I was trying to say that I was against the state giving special deals to the relatives of cops. Of course you've won the gotcha war, I can't deny that.

R. Mute posted:

That's not a very good reason. It's not like the state only has one person left that they can help and she's filling up that spot. Let the state help her and demand UHC, you don't have to pick between the two.

I'm saying that she's only getting help because she married someone in a position of authority. That's hosed up and anti-democratic (even if its common).

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

What a gotcha there. It was poor phrasing, I was trying to say that I was against the state giving special deals to the relatives of cops. Of course you've won the gotcha war, I can't deny that.

I think I won the gotcha war when I was described as "white knighting a pregnant woman"

Regardless of whatever the murdercop did, it is not a good thing to call for equal treatment by making the wife's pregnancy more difficult. There is no way you can switch insurance on a woman in her third trimester and frame this as an ethical or moral thing to do. Calling for equivalency does not highlight bad treatment, it in fact perpetuates it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

You use it to banish the gay demons from people.

• Locked thread