Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
A more fan-oriented response might have been "In the C3 database, you can filter custom songs to show which ones have multitrack support. There are lots more than you think!" :cheeky:
Unrelated: I appended the OP FAQ regarding legacy controller support:

Orange Harrison posted:

Q: What about all my instrument controllers?
A: Some people have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on instrument controllers, and HMX is trying to ensure the game will work with this. Unfortunately this is mostly up to Microsoft and Sony, since they dictate what can and cannot jive with their hardware. Both companies have been notoriously strict about controllers in the past though (in fact, all the controllers for the original Rock Band were USB wired as you'll recall, simply because Microsoft demanded extra money if HMX wanted permission to use their wireless protocol. And let's not forget the PS3 version being forced to resurrect the dongle system from 1990). In my opinion, save up some money, because you're going to have to buy instruments all over again.
    :siren:Edit: Recently a new hypothesis has been spawned regarding the ability to use your old instrument controllers on the new consoles. This mostly applies to the Xbox platform since it was both dominant in sales figures and the platform for which the Rock Band series was locally coded.
    While it may be likely that Microsoft will never allow a foreign controller to directly connect to their console, it is likely that HMX may successfully develop, license and sell an adapter (yes, another dongle) so that you can still use these controllers in the event that Microsoft (inevitably) denies a software developer the rights to let Xbox 360 controllers connect to the Xbone. One major precedent enforcing the possibility of this option is the fact that Guitar Hero: World Tour supported MIDI controllers for the creation of custom note charts in its GHTunes mode, a feature which was programmed in for both PS3 and X360 but denied by Microsoft, and remains functional only on PS3. However, two years later, HMX successfully licensed and released the Rock Band MIDI Pro Adapter, mostly a dummy controller with a MIDI-in port that let users interface MIDI-capable drumsets, keyboards, and (rarely) guitars with the X360. This means there is a considerable possibility that even if Microsoft denies the X360 controllers to work with the Xbone locally, they may still be connected indirectly via a new "dummy" controller connected via USB that acts as a dongle. I can understand if Microsoft is a bit more conservative about the idea this time around, considering their current anti-consumerist stance, and the likelihood that licensing such technology may open the floodgates for 3rd party controller manufacturers making Xbone adapters for standard Xbox 360 controllers, which could sharply undermine Microsoft's hardware sales.
    On the 27th of March 2015, Harmonix released another fan survey about everyone's Rock Banding habits, so they could better engineer their next game. The survey notably asked questions that explicitly separated wireless controllers and USB-wired controllers. If the previous surveys are any indication, these type of questions indicate that Harmonix is seriously working towards legacy compatibility, but only if fan demand is high enough to justify the (probably huge) cost (thanks, Microsoft).

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Did anyone ever put together a list of quality songs on RBN? I can't fathom that it'd be terribly long.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Torture by Rival sons, Gabrielle by Ween, How we Operate by Gomez, the Flight of the Conchords songs, and maybe the Jonathon Coulton stuff depending on where you stand re: his work.

There's probably other stuff but that's my off the top of the head list. (Mostly those first three.)

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

JoeRules posted:

Did anyone ever put together a list of quality songs on RBN? I can't fathom that it'd be terribly long.

Here's a nice smattering.

(Most of Chairchucker's suggestions are in there.)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

JoeRules posted:

That's not very fair, RBN had Even Rats by The Slip and Bohemian Like You, though I'm a bit salty that song was double the normal price and had the drums all up on the cymbals. Lazy!!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's not very fair, RBN had Even Rats by The Slip and Bohemian Like You, though I'm a bit salty that song was double the normal price and had the drums all up on the cymbals. Lazy!!

It's not laziness so much as RBN1 didn't have cymbal support until after RB3 was announced, so there are a smattering of early RBN songs that don't have proper pro-drum support, and due to the way releases were handled there was no easy way to update songs to include pro-drum support unless they just re-released the song. (which more than a few songs did, along with harmonies and keys)

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
You are not baiting me into RBN Story Time. Not happening. I've closed that door.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

pksage posted:

C3 custom song releases for April 3, 2015:

New! They Might Be Giants C01 3-pack
  • They Might Be Giants - "Ana Ng" (pksage)
  • They Might Be Giants - "Birdhouse in Your Soul" (MiltoniusPrime and pksage)
  • They Might Be Giants - "Doctor Worm" (pksage and MiltoniusPrime)
New! LittleKuriboh C01 3-pack (Arcanon)
  • LittleKuriboh - "Paraboss (ft. ShadyVox and TheAzureCrow)" M
  • LittleKuriboh - "Pharaoh's Throne" M
  • LittleKuriboh - "The King of Rhymes (ft. ShadyVox)" K
New! Singles
  • Golden Earring - "Twilight Zone" (MFX)
  • Mastodon - "The Last Baron" 2x (BearzUnlimited)

Obviously I'm proudest of the TMBG pack, but "Twilight Zone" is a hugeballs amazing addition, and if you're into Crack the Skye you will probably enjoy these 13 minutes(!) of Mastodon.

Score!

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Gaspar's Spotify list is quality. Blatant self-promotion: if you like pop-rock, check out Dance for the Dying. I authored all of those, and they are super catchy and fun. Lots of good basslines!

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
The Jerry Naylor and Jukebox The Ghost songs are super fun, though a few of the Jukebox songs have no bass.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
I absolutely love Affiance's Call to the Warrior song on the RBN. Also, dat music video.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Orange Harrison posted:

A more fan-oriented response might have been "In the C3 database, you can filter custom songs to show which ones have multitrack support. There are lots more than you think!" :cheeky:
Unrelated: I appended the OP FAQ regarding legacy controller support:

quote:

dongles

This is good news.

Though I'll probably buy my first Rock Band guitar when RB4 comes out anyway. :shobon:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I'd get new drums only because my goodwood mods heads are pretty tired now and I can't really rotate the them any more to keep good pads on red/yellow.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Laserface posted:

I'd get new drums only because my goodwood mods heads are pretty tired now and I can't really rotate the them any more to keep good pads on red/yellow.

On that survey I wish they had a option for "I'd buy new drums if they were significantly improved".

I bought the Logitech drum controller and even that started to miss hits and whatnot shortly afterwards. It seems a good drum kit is hard to find for video games, unless you want to shell out ridiculous money on V-drums or something.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

KiddieGrinder posted:

On that survey I wish they had a option for "I'd buy new drums if they were significantly improved".

I bought the Logitech drum controller and even that started to miss hits and whatnot shortly afterwards. It seems a good drum kit is hard to find for video games, unless you want to shell out ridiculous money on V-drums or something.

I wholly recommend shelling out for a proper drum kit. You can bash the crap out of them and if a pad goes bad (not that I've had that happen), it's gently caress all to replace one.
It does involve basically starting back at medium for the first little while, until you get the hang of how a proper kit is arranged, but it's a minor quibble.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I wholly recommend shelling out for a proper drum kit. You can bash the crap out of them and if a pad goes bad (not that I've had that happen), it's gently caress all to replace one.
It does involve basically starting back at medium for the first little while, until you get the hang of how a proper kit is arranged, but it's a minor quibble.

I might consider, but I bought a Pearl Rhythm Traveler acoustic kit a while ago (and some nice Wuhan cymbals). Don't really have money for an e-kit, and I never trusted them either. Though I haven't played on a good one as such (ie one that costs $1000 or more), but the idea of spending that kind of money on an e-kit and still getting cross talk and missed notes is terrifying. I'm sure it doesn't/very rarely happens though, so :shrug:

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

KiddieGrinder posted:

the idea of spending that kind of money on an e-kit and still getting cross talk and missed notes is terrifying.

You get them. I have a Yamaha DTXPress III, which is a pretty decent set, all pads are padded and I still get random notes. Now, this is funny, not because of crosstalk, I basically eliminated it all, but from the MIDI apdater itself. I have 2 of them, before you ask. It was a thing that was brought up by more than a few users at the time but never addressed. Anyway, truth be told, when you play with an ekit for me scores become irrelevant, the beauty is to play the song on my actual kit. :) Plus, a proper pedal.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

farottone posted:

Anyway, truth be told, when you play with an ekit for me scores become irrelevant, the beauty is to play the song on my actual kit. :) Plus, a proper pedal.

This guy gets it. (shocking, I know)

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
Biggest problem I have is that my pads come up off of a horizontal bar and slowly start swinging down after I've been playing on them for more than a minute. Cannot figure out how to get them secured in place without doing something drastic like gluing them there.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does Rock Band even indicate hi hat peddal notes?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Nope. If your e-kit is smart enough, you can have the hi-hat pedal change that pad's output from yellow cymbal to blue cymbal (what RB typically denotes for closed/open HH notes).

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

farottone posted:

You get them. I have a Yamaha DTXPress III, which is a pretty decent set, all pads are padded and I still get random notes. Now, this is funny, not because of crosstalk, I basically eliminated it all, but from the MIDI apdater itself. I have 2 of them, before you ask. It was a thing that was brought up by more than a few users at the time but never addressed. Anyway, truth be told, when you play with an ekit for me scores become irrelevant, the beauty is to play the song on my actual kit. :) Plus, a proper pedal.

Are you sure it's crosstalk? On my pads, different areas register different hits, which sends different notes to the midi adaptor. Once I turned that off in the drum kit brain, misses were all but eliminated (there is the odd strike that the adaptor doesn't register properly, but it's few and far between).

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I appear to have broken this thread. :iiam:

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I appear to have broken this thread. :iiam:

E: nevermind. Sorted itself now.
Ee: quote is not edit. I'll just stop now before I embarrass myself further.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Are you sure it's crosstalk? On my pads, different areas register different hits, which sends different notes to the midi adaptor. Once I turned that off in the drum kit brain, misses were all but eliminated (there is the odd strike that the adaptor doesn't register properly, but it's few and far between).

It's not crosstalk, I started with a train of thought and it derailed. :) It's the MIDI adapter. Point is, I haven't eliminated the random missing or double hit, though it's not related to crosstalk. Yes, my set has trigger zones, which are awesome, but I just have a MIDI set saved, named Rock Band of course, on my MIDI brain and all the zones of a pad are assigned to the same note, and I never ever got crosstalk on the same pad honestly.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Someone please just tell me what to buy, I have a 360 and I want the most authentic and enjoyable drum experience available. Let's say I have a budget of 300 or so.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

timp posted:

Someone please just tell me what to buy, I have a 360 and I want the most authentic and enjoyable drum experience available. Let's say I have a budget of 300 or so.

Used Ion Rocker? I don't think they make them anymore, so unless you find some mystery crate supply of brand new ones you're gonna have to find a used kit.

Or if you want a new kit, something like this from Alesis might be decent enough for Rock Band. Though you'd have to buy the midi adapter, which is an extra annoyance but I think they're easy to come by and not too expensive.

edit: a review of that Alesis kit:

"it is awful it sound nothing like a drum set not even close it's like banging on broken paint buckets and cracked frying pans..."

Did he realize it's an electronic kit? :stare:

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 8, 2015

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

KiddieGrinder posted:

"it is awful it sound nothing like a drum set not even close it's like banging on broken paint buckets and cracked frying pans..."

"Oh my god this stupid Stratocaster I bought makes little sound, and the only hole I see on the body is like one quarter of an inch. Aweful. F--, would NOT buy again"

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

timp posted:

Make 100% sure your MIDI brain can reassign MIDI notes to each pad, otherwise you're like stuck with a cheap ekit that doesn't even work with Rock Band anyway.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd really like a drum set too as my Beatles + Mad Cats cymbals never worked in the first place and absolutely don't work now. Ions are going for like $400 so gently caress that.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Abu Dave posted:

I'd really like a drum set too as my Beatles + Mad Cats cymbals never worked in the first place and absolutely don't work now. Ions are going for like $400 so gently caress that.

If $400 is out of your budget, I'd suggest just waiting for new official kits.

If you want something decent for the game/poor for actual drumming, it'll be $400-500 minimum, and potentially take up a lot more space as well.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

KiddieGrinder posted:

Used Ion Rocker? I don't think they make them anymore, so unless you find some mystery crate supply of brand new ones you're gonna have to find a used kit.

Or if you want a new kit, something like this from Alesis might be decent enough for Rock Band. Though you'd have to buy the midi adapter, which is an extra annoyance but I think they're easy to come by and not too expensive.

edit: a review of that Alesis kit:

Those Alesis kits really do sound like poo poo. It's a really obnoxious plastic clack, whereas a good digital kit is practically silent and thumps like a good practice pad.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
PS4 has drivers that are freely distributed to make it work with PS3 game pads. Sony doesn't freak out about that stuff.

There is such a low barrier to making the hardware work, it's not worth mentioning.

Microsoft is the only hurdle.

And currently they aren't passing it.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I still have only a GH:WT drum kit and it's awful. And this is the 3rd one after they sent me 2 half-broken ones to begin with.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Happy C3 Anniversary to us, it's 2 years of operations today. :)

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The 360 will support up to 2TB hard drives soon, making customs even easier. Hooray! http://www.destructoid.com/more-space-xbox-360-to-support-2tb-external-drives-290237.phtml

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Here's a random question that other ion set owners may have had to deal with: what is the best way to store them for easy pull out access when you feel like playing?
I've just been leaving it out in the corner of the room and using it as an ugly rack to hang air dry clothes and jackets because I'm a lazy slob, but I hate having it out all the time. Seeing if anyone has come up with a clever solution themselves.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'd be interested in hearing a better idea, but you can buy a drum key that will go into an impact driver or drill from a music shop, which makes it fairly easy to collapse the set flat and bring it back to full stature quickly.

It's still a sizable bit of kit but once flat it will hopefully fit behind a couch or something.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

couldcareless posted:

Here's a random question that other ion set owners may have had to deal with: what is the best way to store them for easy pull out access when you feel like playing?
I've just been leaving it out in the corner of the room and using it as an ugly rack to hang air dry clothes and jackets because I'm a lazy slob, but I hate having it out all the time. Seeing if anyone has come up with a clever solution themselves.

There isn't an easy way to store them. I've moved mine around a bunch and it just leads to the clamps getting stripped eventually. They just aren't built to be torn down very often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Soooo this blew my mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKq3M71WXy4

Here are the rest of the RB3 menu tracks.

The Acrobrats - Simpleton
Choo Choo la Rouge - Here Come the Guns
Death of the Cool - Everything I Hate About Myself
Down June - More
The Holepunch Generation - Buried Alive
Milquetoast & Co. - Love and Tonic
Spirit Kid - Flytrap

All of them are on YouTube. All of them are on Spotify as well, except for the Milquetoast & Co. one that I linked above. drat shame as that one has always been my favorite menu tune.