Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
The dialogue seems pretty attuned to the thematic concerns of the franchise so far, but it's also incredibly ham-handed, blatant exposition, and it's easy to see why this kind of gracelessness automatically puts people on edge when you compare it to the slickness of the original's presentation.

I do like the arc of the raptors through the series, though. They start as emotively charged "bad guys" in JP1, are ambiguous agents of natural selection in JP2, by JP3 they're surprisingly sympathetic doppelgangers of the human cast and now, it seems, they're finally a part of the family for realsies. T-Rex, meanwhile, got murdered and usurped by her villainous doppelganger the last time around, and based on everything we've seen so far seems to have been completely supplanted by Satanosaurus. Some neato trajectories there, and they make me feel like the movies really are progressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

IMB posted:

How strange that a 90-second dialogue only scene pulled from the middle of a movie no one has watched yet looks weird out of context.

It doesn't look "weird", it's poorly written and acted. That of course doesn't mean the movie as a whole won't be fun as heck.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
The CGI car in the background kept distracting me from the dialogue.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
I thought Chris Pratt did fine with that scene but Howard couldn't really sell her lines. It also has more than 10 seconds of dialogue involving things I don't care about (their previous relationship). Though if the movie stays true to the scene and they absolutely do not end up together at all in the end, that'd be pretty good.

But,

Dan Didio posted:

He's the wacky, carefree romantic!

Nah. That dude ain't romantic.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

It's not a damning scene, just forced. The movie is telling us the romantic conflict we're expected to accept that they have. What if the scene showed him asking her out for the first time, and she scanned her itinerary right in front of him before saying no? It would be on the level of Sattler bailing on Malcolm in the middle of listening to himself talk.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The scene doesn't seem good, mostly because I can't imagine it does anything that shouldn't come up elsewhere in the movie. Also it's clunky.

It is pretty funny to contrast it with how the Sattler/Grant relationship is handled in JP1, which is ambiguous to the point of near confusion (and the movie's kinda better for it).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

porfiria posted:

It is pretty funny to contrast it with how the Sattler/Grant relationship is handled in JP1, which is ambiguous to the point of near confusion (and the movie's kinda better for it).

What? Grant flat-out says to Malcolm they're a couple.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I kind of liked that scene, and I agree that it's nice to see Chris Pratt be funny rather than stoic, like the trailers kind of portray him.

I do think its weird to market a dinosaur movie with a clip featuring exactly zero dinosaurs.

Ah, now eventually you do plan to have dinosaurs on your, on your dinosaur trailer, right? Hello?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Timby posted:

Well yeah, but it's kind of unclear up that the point, and even then the exchange is kind of odd. It's something like.

MALCOLM
Is Dr. Sattler single?

GRANT
Why do you wanna know?

MALCOLM
Oh I see so you're....

GRANT
Yeah!

And the way Sam Neil delivers the line is weirdly defensive--like he says it really weird.

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
It's a particularly weird exchange for sure, and the relationship is deliberately left ambiguous despite it--Spielberg actually cut a bunch of dialogue that would've locked them in as an item, I believe.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

Well yeah, but it's kind of unclear up that the point, and even then the exchange is kind of odd. It's something like.

MALCOLM
Is Dr. Sattler single?

GRANT
Why do you wanna know?

MALCOLM
Oh I see so you're....

GRANT
Yeah!

And the way Sam Neil delivers the line is weirdly defensive--like he says it really weird.

It's the same ambiguity as in the original Star Wars.

Luke: So, what do you think of her, Han?
Han: I'm tryin' not to, kid.
Luke: Good.
Han: Still, she's got a lot of spirit. I don't know, whaddya think? You think a princess and a guy like me...
Luke: No.

Although that's written like a comedy scene, Hamil plays it the same way. The 'no' is more of a command than an opinion.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

porfiria posted:

MALCOLM
Is Dr. Sattler single?

GRANT
Why do you wanna know?

MALCOLM
Oh I see so you're....

GRANT
Yeah!

Isn't this scene like, less than 30minutes into the movie though?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Timby posted:

Grant cuts off the question with a defensive "Yeah." He could have been protecting her from Malcom. Script rewrites added a Grant-Sattler relationship (e.g., kissing and calling him "honey"), but Spielberg removed those portions from the final version.

Toady fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 9, 2015

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I'm pretty sure she calls him honey when they're in the trailer talking to Hammond in the beginning.

Edit: Yup.

quote:

John Hammond: No, no, no I can manage this. I know my way around the kitchen. I'll come right to the point. I like you, both of you. I can tell instantly about people. It's a gift. I own an island, off the coast of Costa Rica. I've leased it from the government and I've spent the last five years setting up a kind of biological preserve. Really spectacular, spared no expense. It'll make the one I've got down in Kenya look like a petting zoo. And there's no doubt, our attractions will drive kids out of their minds.
Dr. Alan Grant: What are those?
Dr. Ellie Sattler: Smaller versions of adults, honey.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I think the only time is the "Smaller versions of adults, honey" line, but there was much more in the script drafts, including kissing and declarations of love.

Toady fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 9, 2015

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's the same ambiguity as in the original Star Wars.

Luke: So, what do you think of her, Han?
Han: I'm tryin' not to, kid.
Luke: Good.
Han: Still, she's got a lot of spirit. I don't know, whaddya think? You think a princess and a guy like me...
Luke: No.

Although that's written like a comedy scene, Hamil plays it the same way. The 'no' is more of a command than an opinion.

Yeah it seems so. Like why not respond to Malcolm's initial question with a flat, "no we're together." And it's almost exactly midway through the movie. (Also as a side note, Laura Dern's 25 in JP, and Sam Neil's like 46. Golblum's 41).

I remember being baffled by the whole thing when I was seven, and I still think the way it plays is quite interesting. There's a bit of touching between them at the beginning, and I guess there's no other way to interpret Ellie's desire to get Grant to interact with kids. And apparently there was a cut scene that made things all totally explicit. But in the final film they're curiously chaste--when they reunite at the end of the movie it's a emotional embrace but there's no kiss.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I always assumed that they had been in a serious relationship before the events of the movie, but it's kinda winding down and complicated.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Toady posted:

Grant cuts off the question with a defensive "Yeah." He could have been protecting her from Malcom. Script rewrites added a Grant-Sattler relationship (e.g., kissing and calling him "honey"), but Spielberg removed those portions from the final version.

Sattler was practically in heat around Malcolm in the shooting script:

code:
		MALCOLM
	I'm simply saying that life - - finds a way.

ELLIE
	"You can't control anything."  I agree with that.  I
	like that.

She walks over to Malcolm, he smiles at her, too warmly.

ELLIE (cont'd)
	You can talk.  I don't know how to say it.  You're just
	articulate.  You say everything that I think, that I
	feel.  It's exciting.
		(or)
	I find it so exciting.  It's exciting that you can't
	control life, that you know - -
		(or)
	You know that, I find it terrifying.  Life will always
	find a way.

MALCOLM
	That's right.  Will break through.

ELLIE
	I get ah - -

MALCOLM
	I know, it's very exciting.

ELLIE
	And scary.

MALCOLM
	And scary.

ELLIE
	When people try to control things that it's out of their
	power - -

MALCOLM
	It's anti-nature.

ELLIE
	Anti-nature.

Grant doesn't notice, as he's still obsessed with the infant
dinosaur, measuring and weighing it on a nearby lab bench.  He stops, a
strange look on his face.  He knows what this animal is - - but it
can't be.
and later Malcolm is creepin' hardcore, even more than is in the water droplets scene now:

code:
Malcolm lowers his voice, becoming more seductive now.

MALCOLM (cont'd)
	Life's a lot like that, isn't it?  You meet someone by
	chance you'll never meet again, and the course of your
	whole future changes.  It's dynamic - - its exciting - -
	I think.

Grant throws the door open and bolts out of the moving car.
The weird line reading for Grant was likely based on that element being toned down significantly in the final film. I'm thinking that casting Goldblum changed all of this - I definitely don't associate his eccentric performance with a "rock star" persona as Gennaro said, and his "I refuse to believe that you aren't familiar with the concept of attraction" always came off as more creepy than seductive in my mind. The script implies that the attraction was very mutual.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 9, 2015

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I never felt like the relationship was ambiguous. They live in a trailer together, they talk about having kids a few different times in a way that indicates that has been a long-standing disagreement in their relationship, Ellie calls Grant honey, Grant straight up says that he and Ellie are dating when asked about it by Malcolm...

The scene with Malcolm is meant to confirm 100% that Grant and Ellie are together, but that they've reached a place in their relationship where people can't even tell that they're together.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sharing a mobile paleontology lab doesn't necessarily mean they're together. Just before Hammond's helicopter landed, the script had them embrace and kiss, but the removal suggests the ambiguity was deliberate. They could be a couple, but it's one interpretation.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

She wants kids, he doesn't. It's not rocket science guys.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

JP3 plays with the ambiguity by having Grant playing with toy dinosaurs with a child, and then you find out it's not his kid, and Ellie is married to someone else.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mr. Flunchy posted:

She wants kids, he doesn't. It's not rocket science guys.

Malcolm seems to understand it as well.

But I certainly DON'T understand - is Grant in a relationship with (in the book) one of his students, or not?

"Maltby's solution is to insist that this scene provided an exemplary case of how Casablanca 'deliberately constructs itself in such a way as to offer distinct and alternative sources of pleasure to two people sitting next to each other in the same cinema,' i.e. that it 'could play to both 'innocent' and 'sophisticated' audiences alike.' While, at the level of its surface narrative line, the film can be constructed by the spectator as obeying the strictest moral codes, it simultaneously offers to the 'sophisticated' enough clues to construct an alternative, sexually much more daring narrative line. This strategy is more complex than it may appear: precisely BECAUSE you knew that you are as it were 'covered' or 'absolved from guilty impulses' by the official story line, you are allowed to indulge in dirty fantasies - you know that these fantasies are not 'for serious,' that they do not count in the eyes of the big Other... So our only correction to Maltby would be that we do not need two spectators sitting next to each other: one and the same spectator, split in itself, is sufficient."
-Zizek, "Shostakovich in Casablanca"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

porfiria posted:

Yeah it seems so. Like why not respond to Malcolm's initial question with a flat, "no we're together." And it's almost exactly midway through the movie. (Also as a side note, Laura Dern's 25 in JP, and Sam Neil's like 46. Golblum's 41).
Wow I didn't realize how old Sam Neil is, he's kind of looked like he was in early 40s until the 2010s. Laura Dern looked way older than 25 in JP though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Axeface posted:

The dialogue seems pretty attuned to the thematic concerns of the franchise so far, but it's also incredibly ham-handed, blatant exposition, and it's easy to see why this kind of gracelessness automatically puts people on edge when you compare it to the slickness of the original's presentation.

quote:

Dr. Ellie Sattler: So, what are you thinking?
Dr. Alan Grant: We're out of a job.
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Don't you mean extinct?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Wasn't that literally a quote by one of the animatronics people?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Toady posted:

Sharing a mobile paleontology lab doesn't necessarily mean they're together. Just before Hammond's helicopter landed, the script had them embrace and kiss, but the removal suggests the ambiguity was deliberate. They could be a couple, but it's one interpretation.

Having them share the trailer and claim they were saving champagne for a special occasion doesn't mean they're a couple, but it definitely implies it along with the other list of stuff in the movie.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Yes.

I am down for this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yes.

I am down for this.

I'm not only because he should be living with the raptors so that entire conversation needed to occur while 2 raptors are following a laser pointer or something.

Raptors are scaly cats

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I thought that scene was fine. Jurassic park was never the most high art/cinema. It's gonna be fine guys.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Wasn't that literally a quote by one of the animatronics people?
Not quite. Phil Tippett was brought in to do stop-motion for the first movie (most notably the Trex scenes, and the Gallimimus stampede), and ILM offered to take a crack at it with CGI. Tippett turned in his stop-motion test shots, and then he saw the CGI work, and he said "I think I'm out of a job."
To which Spielberg replied, "Don't you mean extinct?" Or something to that effect.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm not only because he should be living with the raptors so that entire conversation needed to occur while 2 raptors are following a laser pointer or something.

Raptors are scaly cats
There's a great YouTube video from a "big cat" nature preserve where they investigate if lions and tigers will chase a laser pointer.

The verdict? Whether big or small, cats are cats. :3:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I thought that scene was fine. Jurassic park was never the most high art/cinema. It's gonna be fine guys.

Jurassic Park is the most high art/cinema.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jurassic Park is what happens when the uh... Watchmen... Goes too far or something

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I thought that scene was fine. Jurassic park was never the most high art/cinema.

It's just a Unix System.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Jurassic Park is the most high art/cinema.

Jurassic Park is poo poo compared to the TRUE summer film of 1993.

Last Action Hero

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Ehud posted:

Having them share the trailer and claim they were saving champagne for a special occasion doesn't mean they're a couple, but it definitely implies it along with the other list of stuff in the movie.

Well, the trailer is a mobile lab full of equipment. But there are suggestions of a relationship, like when she puts the handkerchief around his neck, yet there's also no kissing or other public displays of love. My interpretation, which someone else mentioned, was a past relationship that cooled off, but they still work together. Koepp's script left no doubt, so the removal of those portions is interesting.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Jurassic Park is poo poo compared to the TRUE summer film of 1993.

Last Action Hero

I liked Last Action Hero :(. But holy poo poo, that movie gets loving dark towards the end of it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

There's a great YouTube video from a "big cat" nature preserve where they investigate if lions and tigers will chase a laser pointer.

The verdict? Whether big or small, cats are cats. :3:

I'm hoping they've based the raptors off parrots.

Raised poorly or treated badly and they can be complete assholes that want nothing more than to chew your flesh off, but well trained and with mutual respect they can be the friendliest animals around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The magic of the Grant/Sattler relationship ambiguity is that just like real life, you are questioning if two people are an item or not based on subtle hints and clues.

its a lot more organic than whatever happened in the new clip on the last page.

• Locked thread