Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Skunkrocker posted:

I recently found out that The Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack was the second best selling cassette tape of 2014.

How the hell was it not #1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah my old Saturn is still rocking a cassette player (which I use a converter thingy in to listen to music off my phone).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I picked up the Gamers Edition because I wanted the physical comic, but the tapes will be cool to display somewhere too.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah I'd probably pick this up if they minused the $30 I already spent on two games they want to sell me again.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

moths posted:

Yeah I'd probably pick this up if they minused the $30 I already spent on two games they want to sell me again.

At this point I figure I'm just paying for the extra doo-dads, not the games. I'm a big enough idiot fanboy of this series to pay it for them.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Tulip posted:

Literally my question. I'm guessing Frozen.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like there aren't even $60 worth of extras, though. You don't even get a full OST, just a tape.

Had this been available at launch, yeah the +$40 for a physical version and stuff would have been absolutely awesome sign me up. But after a month double-dipping the CE just feels like milking it, especially without a proper art book, bonus tracks, statue, action figure, or any of the other stuff that's industry standard in a collector's box these days.

I mean, the horror version of Loot Crate gave people a latex Eddie (from Iron Maiden) mask. Packing the whole thing in a Richard head is not impossible, and would make this a loving insta-buy.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Skyscraper posted:

So, why DID Richter kill the girlfriend? I know Jacket didn't stop killing Russians just because she was around.

Edit: I mean, why did 50 Blessings order the girlfriend killed, not why did Richter do it.

They probably thought Jacket was too much of a liability to keep alive. The girlfriend was just collateral damage on Richter's part.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Skunkrocker posted:

I recently found out that The Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack was the second best selling cassette tape of 2014.

Like... those are still a thing and it boggles my loving mind. I haven't seen a cassette player in years that isn't one I personally own.

What the hell is with you people and cassette tapes? The vinyl thing I kind of get, but tapes?!

They probably just included it along with the special fancy blu-ray edition as a movie prop, because the cassette tape is literally in the film. Then because they included one with every special edition blu-ray or whatever, they could say they "sold" X cassettes, and since nobody buys cassettes you end up with more of them sold than anybody. Second best is odd though.

MONKET posted:

i drive a car that still has a casette tape player so i'd greatly appreciate it

I wish I did, its so much easier to rig up an iPhone jack if you have one. I'm too cheap for an aftermarket stereo :cheeky:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Doc Friday posted:

They probably thought Jacket was too much of a liability to keep alive. The girlfriend was just collateral damage on Richter's part.

That's how I read it at the time, but that then raises the question of why they suddenly decided to kill Jacket, who was arguably their best operative.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Skyscraper posted:

That's how I read it at the time, but that then raises the question of why they suddenly decided to kill Jacket, who was arguably their best operative.

Because he was their best operative. I feel like it was less a case of "This guy might inform on the police" and more "This guy might turn on us and attack us directly if we keep him around like that Biker dude." Jacket would've destroyed 50B.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Skyscraper posted:

Someone posted earlier that it may have been because they found out he was with Biker when Biker was hacking into the phone hom computers to get info on 50 blessings, and putting Jacket down is insurance that their secrets continue to go unknown, just in case. I hadn't given much thought to it before but that makes sense to me.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Another Person posted:

Because he was their best operative. I feel like it was less a case of "This guy might inform on the police" and more "This guy might turn on us and attack us directly if we keep him around like that Biker dude." Jacket would've destroyed 50B.
Well, that's a guess, but not really supported by anything they say in the game. Also, 50 Blessings is basically nobody. They're a voice that calls you up and tells you a nonsensical thing about an address, and offers you no support or payment or intelligence or anything else of note. They're a numbers station on your phone, not someone you can arrest on RICO charges.

CJacobs posted:

Someone posted earlier that it may have been because they found out he was with Biker when Biker was hacking into the phone hom computers to get info on 50 blessings, and putting Jacket down is insurance that their secrets continue to go unknown, just in case. I hadn't given much thought to it before but that makes sense to me.
Found out he was there? Didn't they, kind of, send him there?

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 9, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Doc Friday posted:

Yeah this is how I take it. I mean, Jacket's killings were getting big enough that people were taking notice. Reporters and fans alike were starting to follow him, that's about when 50 blessings needs to nip him in the bud and find more people to take his place, lest they get too much attention and the FBI finds them or something.

The only thing that seems odd is, I can understand the 50 blessings being an intentional suicide mission against the Russians; ghost wolves was the same situation. A small group of soldiers pretty much being sent to their deaths. On the last level the General even complains that he doesn't like what he has to order you to do, because you probably won't make it out alive.

But... then wouldn't the General feel bad about killing his own 50 blessings soldiers later? I guess he'd see it as his "mission" at that point, and that even though he didn't like it, the mission called for it and it had to be done?

The scene where Jake gets shot is pretty satisfying, he still doesn't get what's happening up to the last second.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Tulip posted:

Queen's Greatest Hits beat it out.

e: Also for $60 the cassette should be an old style home made mixtape featuring random elements of the soundtrack.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Going by the other hitmen you find throughout Hotline: Miami, I figured the 50 Blessings business model was based around their murder dudes getting killed on the job before they could get too curious or draw too much attention. It's just Jacket, murder savant that he is, didn't have the good courtesy to get himself murdered by a Russki and started to make everybody nervous. Hence sending him on more and more dangerous hits, and then arranging the meeting with Biker and eventually going "fuckit" and sending another hitman to get him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

One thing I've been thinking about is the Colonel. In the past we've kinda considered his actions as motivated by revenge on the Russians, starting the whole 50 blessings and then assassinating the leaders which causes the nuke.

But what if he didn't really give a poo poo about the Russians after all? At that point maybe he's just so mad that violence and war are all he knows, chaos. The Russians are just a convenient target, he just needs an enemy, he doesn't care who.

Or, even better yet, what if he knowingly killed the presidents intentionally in order to bring about the nuke and the end of days?

The Colonel's character is pretty heavily based on Kurtz from Heart of Darkness / Apocalypse now.
Kurtz has gone rogue and amassed his own army, and is losing his mind to alcohol and warfare and violence. He begins to respect the enemy and see himself as a warlord. In particular the ending has Willard finding Kurtz' documents including the phrase "Drop the Bomb Exterminate them All".

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

erm

That's sort of exactly the Colonel's thing. I did not think that was really a controversial opinion.

You remember the bit where he showed up wearing a panther and banged on about how we are all animals!! for a while? Did you interpret that as "Gosh I really dislike the Russians"?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nah I remember that, I actually had a bit about it in the post already but I felt like I was rambling so I edited it out.

I mean clearly the dude is snapping, but I guess my first read was that he snapped and kept the war going even when the war was kinda cold-ish, but he was still kinda trying to win the war or get revenge for the soldiers he lost or something. Crazy, but crazy with a plan. Lawful evil or neutral evil. Like he'd kill all the Russians and then in theory he'd be good, but in reality he was totally crazy.

But now I think the nuke was entirely planned, he's just loving chaotic evil and just wants to watch the world burn.

Although if the goal is just to nuke everything, why bother with 50 blessings? The nuke kills everybody anyways, why bother with small-scale masked maniacs? Was he building up to that and didn't have the idea yet, or was the violence with Jacket somehow necessary to ramp up to the assassination in order to really convince Russia that poo poo had to end? I guess the idea is that just killing the leader may not push them over the edge, but if tensions are already at a boiling point then the assassination can be the straw that broke the camel's back?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 9, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

could you maybe make a chart for hotline miami, detailing which characters are lawful/neutral/chaotic good/neutral/evil

i feel it would help me understand

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

could you maybe make a chart for hotline miami, detailing which characters are lawful/neutral/chaotic good/neutral/evil

Jake is Chaotic Neutral

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Skyscraper posted:

Found out he was there? Didn't they, kind of, send him there?

Well what I mean is, they found out what Biker was looking at (which you see the result of in his timeline) and so they have someone kill Jacket just in case he also gained the info Biker did. The message you get after the regular level is over basically says that they know Biker is going there to find out some deep 50 blessings secrets, which he does just before Jacket arrives. Therefore, even though they sent Jacket there to stop Biker and he did by killing him, he was unsuccessful in what they actually wanted him to do which was stopping Biker from checking out the files. That's how I chose to interpret Jacket getting shot, anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm sorry D&D terms trigger you :rolleyes: Its a pretty easy way to categorize character morality.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Please make the chart

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Jacket is True Neutral

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Well what I mean is, they found out what Biker was looking at (which you see the result of in his timeline) and so they have someone kill Jacket just in case he also gained the info Biker did. The message you get after the regular level is over basically says that they know Biker is going there to find out some deep 50 blessings secrets, which he does just before Jacket arrives. Therefore, even though they sent Jacket there to stop Biker and he did by killing him, he was unsuccessful in what they actually wanted him to do which was stopping Biker from checking out the files. That's how I chose to interpret Jacket getting shot, anyway.

Well, both managed to make it out of the scuffle alive, so even though Jacket believed he got Biker, the fact that both lived must have been a good enough reason to take out Jacket.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm sorry D&D terms trigger you :rolleyes: Its a pretty easy way to categorize character morality.

It actually isn't

A Bystander posted:

Well, both managed to make it out of the scuffle alive, so even though Jacket believed he got Biker, the fact that both lived must have been a good enough reason to take out Jacket.

It's worth noting that Phonehom doesn't have the "everyone is dead" static after the biker fight

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

It may be easy but it is also awful, and dumb, and captures absolutely no nuance whatsoever, to the point of uselessness.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's worth noting that Phonehom doesn't have the "everyone is dead" static after the biker fight

I wonder if that was changed in a patch, or if it's always been like that?

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

One thing I've been thinking about is the Colonel. In the past we've kinda considered his actions as motivated by revenge on the Russians, starting the whole 50 blessings and then assassinating the leaders which causes the nuke.

But what if he didn't really give a poo poo about the Russians after all? At that point maybe he's just so mad that violence and war are all he knows, chaos. The Russians are just a convenient target, he just needs an enemy, he doesn't care who.

Or, even better yet, what if he knowingly killed the presidents intentionally in order to bring about the nuke and the end of days?

The Colonel's character is pretty heavily based on Kurtz from Heart of Darkness / Apocalypse now.
Kurtz has gone rogue and amassed his own army, and is losing his mind to alcohol and warfare and violence. He begins to respect the enemy and see himself as a warlord. In particular the ending has Willard finding Kurtz' documents including the phrase "Drop the Bomb Exterminate them All".

The Colonel is pretty similar to General Ripper from Dr. Strangelove as well.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I'm afraid that I still wouldn't understand unless each character's Myers-Briggs personality test results are also posted on this chart.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ok Down Jacket Fetish here's your chart.

Jacket is chaotic evil.
Biker is chaotic evil.
Richter is chaotic evil.
The 50 Blessings showrunners are chaotic evil.
Tony is chaotic evil.
Corey is chaotic evil.
Alex and Ash are chaotic evil twins.
Mark is chaotic evil.
The henchman is chaotic evil.
The mob boss is chaotic evil.
Jake is chaotic evil.
Richard represents chaotic evil.

Everybody is chaotic evil except for Richter's mom.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

And Manny Pardo, he's clearly Lawful Good.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

You forgot the player. Which chaotic are we??????

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Also Richard is clearly True Neutral. :v:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

gently caress Demolition. I'm not talking about the puzzle at the start, but an A+ seems to require pulling a 25x combo or something on the second floor.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Doc Friday posted:

The Colonel is pretty similar to General Ripper from Dr. Strangelove as well.

Precious bodily fluids, and then the nuke going off. Yeah, good call.

So who's strangelove? :haw:

CJacobs posted:

Ok Down Jacket Fetish here's your chart.

I agree with everything except I'd have Jacket at Chaotic Neutral.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 10, 2015

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I think everyone talking about why 50B had Jacket killed is missing the forest for individual trees. Imho it's as simple as 'Neighbors': when Jacket encounters Biker he's in the same room with the person who knows more than anyone else involved about who's making these phonecalls and has all the info he could need to track 50B, and no matter how you slice it that's too big of a risk. Like, the textbook definition of "knows too much". Jake's secret ending, especially lends credence to this. I'm just surprised they didn't execute him sooner.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the idea that they were hoping to kill him with increasingly dangerous missions makes sense.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Lacedaemonius posted:

I think everyone talking about why 50B had Jacket killed is missing the forest for individual trees. Imho it's as simple as 'Neighbors': when Jacket encounters Biker he's in the same room with the person who knows more than anyone else involved about who's making these phonecalls and has all the info he could need to track 50B, and no matter how you slice it that's too big of a risk. Like, the textbook definition of "knows too much". Jake's secret ending, especially lends credence to this. I'm just surprised they didn't execute him sooner.

They sent Jacket after Biker. Like, they called Jacket while he was in the middle of clearing out a large building and told him to go to Phonehom. Maybe they still wanted to tie up loose ends for safety's sake, but they knew beforehand Jacket would encounter the person tracking them because they sent him there to stop that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Oblivion4568238 posted:

They sent Jacket after Biker. Like, they called Jacket while he was in the middle of clearing out a large building and told him to go to Phonehom. Maybe they still wanted to tie up loose ends for safety's sake, but they knew beforehand Jacket would encounter the person tracking them because they sent him there to stop that.

Lesser of two evils mate. Are you going to send one of your men after a demonstrably driven and dangerous killer coming for you and risk him being 'corrupted' (for lack of a better term), or just rollover and let him get you? Don't forget how loving dangerous Biker is, and when you look at some of the previous cockups (Carl, Jones, etc.) I don't really see any better options than sending Jacket.

• Locked thread