Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

MC Hawking posted:

Take everything written in this thread with a gigantic grain of salt as most of the regular posters are in a never ending arms race to troll the poo poo out of each other with increasingly stupid word strings.

Go to a store. Fiddle with phones. Find whichever phone you like the best. Buy said phone.

This is a good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

MC Hawking posted:

Take everything written in this thread with a gigantic grain of salt as most of the regular posters are in a never ending arms race to troll the poo poo out of each other with increasingly stupid word strings.

Go to a store. Fiddle with phones. Find whichever phone you like the best. Buy said phone.

Most stores won't have Sony phones.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

MC Hawking posted:

:agreed:

There are plenty of great android devices on all price ranges wich is a huge advantage over the other OSs. Apple only offers "premium" phones and Microsoft right now is filling the low end and mid range while their flagships are outdated.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

MC Hawking posted:

I almost agree with this, but the fact that AT&T will still sell you a $569 Amazon Fire Phone or a LG G2 which costs $10 less than they sell the G3 for make it a scary prospect. Everything you said about the thread is beyond true though.

edit: Not to mention there are several great phones that aren't carried by carriers or slightly older flagships which can be had for really cheaply from other sources (see < $200 LG G2, HTC One M7, and Moto X 2013).

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 9, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MC Hawking posted:

I like the one with the hardware keyboard best

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="443849612"]
Most stores won't have Sony phones.

Literally every phone store I walk into here has multiple Sony phones. Depends on your location I guess.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I almost agree with this, but the fact that AT&T will still sell you a $569 Amazon Fire Phone or a LG G2 which costs $10 less than they sell the G3 for make it a scary prospect. Everything you said about the thread is beyond true though.

edit: Not to mention there are several great phones that aren't carried by carriers or slightly older flagships which can be had for really cheaply from other sources (see < $200 LG G2, HTC One M7, and Moto X 2013).

I would never really recommend anyone buy in-store anyways (at least ones that employees make commission). Most salespeople are incompetent in some way, their prices are higher, they will shove attachments down your throat, and they'll usually tell you there isn't anything they can do in-store if something goes wrong. Just go in and play with them, then log into amazon.com and enjoy your Prime-shipped phone.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Mine has been doing this lately too, and it's pretty annoying. I think the behavior was introduced after the most recent update. Sometimes there's no little X in the corner to click on either, so you're at the mercy of the Android gods to make the notification go away eventually.

Check the new notification/privacy settings that lollipop introduced. They're probably set to "restricted" or whatever they're called.

I checked around and couldn't seem to find any setting that fixed it. Google's messenger and textra both work as I expect, so I'm going to give textra a shot.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

MC Hawking posted:

But where's the part about defending your purchase on the Internet?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Check the new notification/privacy settings that lollipop introduced. They're probably set to "restricted" or whatever they're called.

Note that for some reason the setting is under Sound - Notifications - Lock screen even though it has nothing to do with sound.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
5.0.2 on my M7 is really nice and if I am not just seeing things it seems like my phone charges faster and gets slightly better battery life. Not a bad little update!

Qi question, I will be getting 2 Galaxy S6's on Saturday, probably 1 edge and 1 regular. Can you charge more than 1 phone on a Qi charging mat, assuming the phones engage different coils in the charger? Just curious. I have a couple tylt vu's that i've never used before, but got some flat cheapo one that I plan to keep in the kitchen so it would be cool if the GF and I could both juice up on the same mat.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

thebushcommander posted:

Qi question, I will be getting 2 Galaxy S6's on Saturday, probably 1 edge and 1 regular. Can you charge more than 1 phone on a Qi charging mat, assuming the phones engage different coils in the charger? Just curious. I have a couple tylt vu's that i've never used before, but got some flat cheapo one that I plan to keep in the kitchen so it would be cool if the GF and I could both juice up on the same mat.

The Qi spec includes the phone negotiating with the charger for specific amounts of power, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
With the S6 having what's probably the best camera in an Android phone, what are the next 2-3 best? I don't do contract/ultraexpensive phones, so I was considering the Z3C instead. I've liked what I've seen for the most part.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

swampface posted:

My S4 just updated to lollipop last night and now the messaging notifications don't actually have the message in them anymore:

"Messaging: New message" isn't the most helpful notification. Anyone know how to fix this? Is it time to just move to a better texting app?

It's in the settings for the messaging app itself.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'm having a strange problem with my Android phone. When I send a text message, it apparently doesn't get a success message, so it sends again. Repeatedly. Rapidly. A coworker told me she got like 30 copies of the same message while I eventually got a "message could not be sent" error. A similar thing happens with my run-tracking app, so it's either my phone hardware or Sprint.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 20, 2018

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
So, I need to get a couple of smartphones for my parents. Neither of them are tremendously tech-savvy, and they're in an area where the only real carrier options are Verizon and U.S. Cellular, both GSM-only networks. To further complicate things, my dad is highly likely to lose or destroy his phone with some frequency, so I don't want anything too high-end for him.

I'm leaning towards just getting them both Moto Es (since the newer Moto G is CDMA). My dad is likely to stick with U.S. Cellular, so I'm probably just going to get them both on prepaid plans in order to keep costs down.

Are there other phones I should be looking at? Definitely not anything over $400 for my mom, and $250 would probably be pushing it for my dad. Am I right to be looking at prepaid, or is Verizon going to have a better package for 1-2 users on contract?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Thanatosian posted:

So, I need to get a couple of smartphones for my parents. Neither of them are tremendously tech-savvy, and they're in an area where the only real carrier options are Verizon and U.S. Cellular, both GSM-only networks. To further complicate things, my dad is highly likely to lose or destroy his phone with some frequency, so I don't want anything too high-end for him.

I'm leaning towards just getting them both Moto Es (since the newer Moto G is CDMA). My dad is likely to stick with U.S. Cellular, so I'm probably just going to get them both on prepaid plans in order to keep costs down.

Are there other phones I should be looking at? Definitely not anything over $400 for my mom, and $250 would probably be pushing it for my dad. Am I right to be looking at prepaid, or is Verizon going to have a better package for 1-2 users on contract?

The 2014 Moto G is most definitely GSM

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

The Moto G came in both CDMA and GSM variants (at least the first gen one did). Get them either that or the E.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

MC Hawking posted:

From what I understand the z3 and LG g3 have excellent cameras.

I'll check them out. Thanks.

Lblitzer posted:

The Moto G came in both CDMA and GSM variants (at least the first gen one did). Get them either that or the E.

If you love your parents, get them a second-gen G.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Godinster posted:

It's in the settings for the messaging app itself.

The only options for notifications in the samsung messaging app are on or off. Was time I switched anyway.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thanatosian posted:

Sounds like you've got it backwards. Verizon and USCellular are both CDMA carriers. You won't be able to activate a phone on either network unless it is sold specifically for that network and neither the new Moto E nor the new Moto G are CDMA phones.

The distinction between GSM and CDMA is important, but it will hopefully be moot in the future as the legacy networks are shut down and transitioned to LTE.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
If you can use a Verizon phone on US Cellular (I can't verify if you can) just buy them both Moto X 2013's:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-X-Deve...=item20f7854eda

For $200 its far, far better than the Moto E or G.

Edit: The $200 price is apparently a "daily deal" so they may want to jump on it if that sounds good.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 9, 2015

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, sorry, Verizon & US Cellular are both CDMA. I swear to god, supporting these things is my loving job, and I'm constantly getting CDMA and GSM mixed up.

So yeah, I need CDMA phones, not GSM; I had the fact the Moto G 2014 isn't an option right (though it sucks that the Moto E isn't, either, goddammit).

Moto X 2013 seems pretty good. Anything to worry about it being a "developer edition?" Anyone else have any suggestions?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As far as i understand, "Developer edition" just means the bootloader can be (but need not be) unlocked

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Radbot posted:

If you love your parents, get them a second-gen G.

2nd gen G only has a larger screen. That literally the only spec difference. It still has the same SoC as the 2013 G and still only has 1gb of RAM.

The new 2014 Moto E actually got a pretty major SoC upgrade and I would place it barely behind the G (if at all) at this point. Only real downside is the lower resolution screen (which might actually be better for some people with worse eyesight.)

The real answer, of course, is one of the many cheap Moto X's out there.

nimper posted:

neither the new Moto E nor the new Moto G are CDMA phones.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/11/moto-e-4g-lte-now-available-on-verizon-prepaid-for-99/

2014 Moto E LTE is on Verizon.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 9, 2015

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

swampface posted:

The only options for notifications in the samsung messaging app are on or off. Was time I switched anyway.

Doesn't matter now, but pressing on that on/off switch takes you to the rest of the notification options.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Oh hey, I hadn't heard that. Cool.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bull3964 posted:

2nd gen G only has a larger screen. That literally the only spec difference. It still has the same SoC as the 2013 G and still only has 1gb of RAM.

It also has a better camera and better speakers :eng101:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

bull3964 posted:

Doesn't it have LTE, too?

edit: And better camera/speakers, per the last post?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Radbot posted:

Doesn't it have LTE, too?

edit: And better camera/speakers, per the last post?

There was a first gen Moto G LTE.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

bull3964 posted:

There was a first gen Moto G LTE.

OK, all that was said was "first gen" so that wasn't too clear.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

The new 2014 Moto E actually got a pretty major SoC upgrade and I would place it barely behind the G (if at all) at this point. Only real downside is the lower resolution screen (which might actually be better for some people with worse eyesight.)

The real answer, of course, is one of the many cheap Moto X's out there.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/11/moto-e-4g-lte-now-available-on-verizon-prepaid-for-99/

2014 Moto E LTE is on Verizon.
Sexay. I will probably go with the Moto X for my mom, and the Moto E for my dad (mostly because being out $100 instead of $200+ when he inevitably breaks or loses it will be better).

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Radbot posted:

With the S6 having what's probably the best camera in an Android phone, what are the next 2-3 best? I don't do contract/ultraexpensive phones, so I was considering the Z3C instead. I've liked what I've seen for the most part.

I love my Z3C, but the camera is mediocre.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

MaxDuo posted:

So it seems the general consensus of the goons at this point is lots of disappointment in all the Android phones. I even saw Zom Aur say Samsung is one disappointment after the other.... in general it seems people have been fairly happy when they talk about the Sony Z3 stuff, and one guy mentioned that they have a good battery life. If you don't want a giant mega screen phone are they basically the best thing to go with now?
This is a thread where phone nerds nitpick minor details that are irrelevant to the vast majority of people with phones. MC Hawking is right, if you don't care about all the poo poo we nitpick about just buy a phone that does what you want it to do and enjoy it.

Tunga posted:

As far as i understand, "Developer edition" just means the bootloader can be (but need not be) unlocked
Verizon won't allow bootloader unlocks on anything but the DE, and on any carrier it means unlocking the bootoader doesn't void Motorola's warranty. At this point it's a pretty meaningless difference for anyone who doesn't plan to unlock because I doubt anyone buying a new 2013 X now is going to be expecting to resell it anytime soon (although if you're looking to buy it's still an excellent phone for the price.)

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Anyone here happy with their Verizon S5? Cause mines a massive piece of poo poo. It lags a lot, my Nexus 5 never lagged a bit. Then theres all the lovely verizon apps you can't get rid of. Touchwiz is a mess. I thought I could get used to it but I can't. That dialer is crap, and all the replacements i've tried are crap. Then there is the issue with the dialer not sending out dtmf tones.I will dial my voicemail and the buttons won't work. Well the work the first 10 seconds but if you need to press buttons to transfer to an extension the won't work. I've tried a few dialers and they are acting the same. I'm guessing my battery only lasting 4 hours on T-Mobile is because the native chipset is optomised for Verizon towers?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

b0nes posted:

Anyone here happy with their Verizon S5? Cause mines a massive piece of poo poo. It lags a lot, my Nexus 5 never lagged a bit. Then theres all the lovely verizon apps you can't get rid of. Touchwiz is a mess. I thought I could get used to it but I can't. That dialer is crap, and all the replacements i've tried are crap. Then there is the issue with the dialer not sending out dtmf tones.I will dial my voicemail and the buttons won't work. Well the work the first 10 seconds but if you need to press buttons to transfer to an extension the won't work. I've tried a few dialers and they are acting the same. I'm guessing my battery only lasting 4 hours on T-Mobile is because the native chipset is optomised for Verizon towers?

Samsung.txt

Can you return it? Sell it? Burn it?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

b0nes posted:

Get a Z3/Z3C, and throw the s5 into traffic.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Mooktastical posted:

Get a Z3/Z3C, and throw the s5 into traffic.

I look forward to this time next year when this is posted again but all the numbers are 1 higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

b0nes posted:

S6 owners, please tell me that the S6 isn't nearly this bad with TouchWiz and lovely bloatware.