Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

The problem is that besides the highway access, I have residential areas (mixed with commercial because I'm an idiot) both to the north and west that need access.
The hierarchy idea sounds good, do you mean something like this?

Where red connects with the other parts of my city and the highway and has no zoning.
If I do that, would it be okay traffic-wise to connect services (especially garbage) directly to that road?

Yeah, essentially that idea. And of course limiting the number of intersections to the expressway might help.

I would guess it would be okay to attach services to it? At least it would be worth a shot. It would still generate more traffic turning on/off the road at more points, but at least the service vehicles shouldn't typically be blocking traffic like they do when they're actually responding to a call. And of course service buildings don't receive deliveries that block the road like industry/commercial.

Bear in mind that you can have a fantastic traffic flow designed for this bit of your city, but if everyone coming through here wants to make the exact same right turn off your spiffy six-lane expressway into another segment of your traffic network that can't handle the load, it's all for naught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Added some highway access directly to my commercial/industrial sector and now all my traffic except those arteries is fine. :v:

Still not sure what I'm going to do about the central throughway, I tried making this monstrosity with one highway at ground level and the other elevated so both could exit to both sides and it... wasn't pretty. :stonklol:

Those barrier highways and tree-lined streets REALLY buffer the residential side from noise pollution though!

e: I wonder if you could do two 3-lane highway segments merging into a 6-lane oneway strip running down the middle. Have two-lanes branching off to each side, which would leave the middle lanes for through traffic. And then just have exits to the highway out around the sides...

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 9, 2015

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Red does not mean bad, it means busy. As long as there are no long queues of cars there's basically no problem to get red parts on your roads.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Keep the central thoroughfare, upgrade it to a highway, and throw some frontage one-way roads down along the sides. Any roads that cross over the highway should be over or under- not intersections cutting directly through the highway- with dedicated onramps/offramps going back and forth from the highway to the frontage road. Have regular u-turns with the frontage roads every so often and you'll have a pretty fool proof setup.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Does the pathfinding AI take into account if a road segment is shaded green or red on the traffic map? Obviously the traffic AI isn't going to do on the fly real time route-adjustment, but when it's first calculating the "cost" to it's destination surely red shaded roads "cost" more in terms of the path-finding? Or does it 100% ignore such things?

\/ Would it cost much more processing time to factor in intersections and average congestion? I think even sc4 did this, at least with the latest NAM.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 9, 2015

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
It ignores it. It just finds the quickest path (combination of length+road speed, disregarding traffic and intersections).

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

kemikalkadet posted:

Got this game yesterday and played it pretty much non-stop since, didn't expect it to suck up as much time as it has. just finished my first traffic-abortion... the three level stack thing on the left is surprisingly effective, it used to be a totally gridlocked junction but now it's free flowing. the thing on the right was me converting a premade t-junction into a 4-way for future expansion. I'll probably neaten it up later but it's functional.

Did you attempt a swastika interchange or was that a coincidence?

Poizen Jam posted:

Keep the central thoroughfare, upgrade it to a highway, and throw some frontage one-way roads down along the sides. Any roads that cross over the highway should be over or under- not intersections cutting directly through the highway- with dedicated onramps/offramps going back and forth from the highway to the frontage road. Have regular u-turns with the frontage roads every so often and you'll have a pretty fool proof setup.

Do you have a picture of what this would look like? I'm having to restart after I hosed up badly trying to manage my traffic. As it turns out, my main highway ramp leading immediately into a roundabout and a botched attempt to widen almost every road on one side of town doesn't make it more functional. Who knew?

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

I decided to try to create a 6-way turbine interchange in my city. The result was this monstrosity:

It's three highways with six total directions (plus three directions of train tracks, and roads leading into the center!). But as a true turbine interchange, it never exceeds two levels.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

jesus gently caress that's beautiful and great

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Poizen Jam posted:

Thanks for that. Would I be correct in assuming the numbered folders refer to workshop item IDs or some such?

That's probably a safe assumption.

Poizen Jam posted:

:gonk: Oh God use some frontage roads and dedicated on ramps for your industry or you're headed straight for disaster. You'll probably want to turn those initial highway stems into an expressway cutting through your city, so better to start planning now.

There's a lot of ways to do it but yeah whenever regular traffic is sharing roads/highway connections/intersections with industrial traffic that should be a red flag; except for commuters going to work and stuff like that obviously.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

That thing is gorgeous, it makes me feel bad that I was coming in to post this:

The on-and off-ramps are all one-way, the overpasses are two-way. Seems to be working pretty well for my little derpy city.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Riosan posted:

Do you have a picture of what this would look like? I'm having to restart after I hosed up badly trying to manage my traffic. As it turns out, my main highway ramp leading immediately into a roundabout and a botched attempt to widen almost every road on one side of town doesn't make it more functional. Who knew?

It looks something like this:

It's basically a one-way service road running parallel to the high-way, that contains off/onramps to transfer traffic to and from the main highway. Generally I won't zone anything directly on the frontage road- the frontage road itself will have additional exits or intersections to the roads servicing your residential, commercial, and industry.

Here's a terrible example from my first big city

You can see a couple unzoned one ways running alongside the highway with regular on/off ramps. Also some u-turns beneath the highway. That's kind of the idea.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So someone posted the DP City Beautification sets way earlier in the thread. I'm trying to lighten the load of my mod directory- and I noticed some folks in the comments section of those collections claiming his work is mostly recolours. Can anyone confirm?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Or you can do it badly and have the 'frontage road' be what all your stuff is zoned on like I did 2 posts up. :v:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Baronjutter posted:

Does the pathfinding AI take into account if a road segment is shaded green or red on the traffic map? Obviously the traffic AI isn't going to do on the fly real time route-adjustment, but when it's first calculating the "cost" to it's destination surely red shaded roads "cost" more in terms of the path-finding? Or does it 100% ignore such things?

\/ Would it cost much more processing time to factor in intersections and average congestion? I think even sc4 did this, at least with the latest NAM.
SC4 is an entirely different species of dynamics simulation so whats good for the goose may not be good for the gander.

Computationally all I can say is that it would be more processing because now every tile has a unique speed and depending if the games already always tracking the busyness behind the scenes or its only polled when the overlay is up. I'd be more scared looking at it holistically, because you are now introducing feedback into a system. Introducing feedback has the tendency to turn output into hot pulsing garbage unless precisely tuned. So now instead of a nice central system monument you can diagnose, you have a migratory traffic storm revolving around your city as people set out intent on avoiding the traffic jam at their point of generation, creating a traffic jam somewhere new when they get there and the old traffic jam is cleared because everyone cleared out.

It'd be real cool to see figured out and implemented though, its not necessarily insurmountable.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

zedprime posted:

SC4 is an entirely different species of dynamics simulation so whats good for the goose may not be good for the gander.

Computationally all I can say is that it would be more processing because now every tile has a unique speed and depending if the games already always tracking the busyness behind the scenes or its only polled when the overlay is up. I'd be more scared looking at it holistically, because you are now introducing feedback into a system. Introducing feedback has the tendency to turn output into hot pulsing garbage unless precisely tuned. So now instead of a nice central system monument you can diagnose, you have a migratory traffic storm revolving around your city as people set out intent on avoiding the traffic jam at their point of generation, creating a traffic jam somewhere new when they get there and the old traffic jam is cleared because everyone cleared out.

It'd be real cool to see figured out and implemented though, its not necessarily insurmountable.

Yeah, that kind of feedback seems to really give rise to emergent behavior, and not the good kind either.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Poizen Jam posted:

So someone posted the DP City Beautification sets way earlier in the thread. I'm trying to lighten the load of my mod directory- and I noticed some folks in the comments section of those collections claiming his work is mostly recolours. Can anyone confirm?

Yeah. I'm pretty sure they're all just recolors and more/different props. It's not necessarily a bad idea for variety, but it bothered some of us that in the first several days his stuff was flooding the workshop making it harder to find uniques.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Holy poo poo someone made the Pyongyang Doom Hotel

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=422210766&searchtext=

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Riosan posted:

Did you attempt a swastika interchange or was that a coincidence?

I've been playing a lot of Besiege so it was probably subconscious.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yeah. I'm pretty sure they're all just recolors and more/different props. It's not necessarily a bad idea for variety, but it bothered some of us that in the first several days his stuff was flooding the workshop making it harder to find uniques.

Well my game is still crashing from the sheer number of loaded assets (I think, haven't been able to pin it down to anything else) so I think I'll try and get rid of these sets and see if it helps.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

And here's a video of it in action.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Getting rid of DP's city beautification set didn't fix my crashing. At least it no longer crashes returning to the menu from the asset editor, but this is getting quite frustrating.

VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.
Does anyone know where to get full sized images of the original maps? I want to compare the overall layouts and think about possibilities without starting and loading a new city and then promptly forgetting which was which.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Poizen Jam posted:

Getting rid of DP's city beautification set didn't fix my crashing. At least it no longer crashes returning to the menu from the asset editor, but this is getting quite frustrating.

Are you running Traffic -- or Autosave? Does it just crash on save load or also on a new game? Does it crash with all assets and mods disabled?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

VotGs posted:

Does anyone know where to get full sized images of the original maps? I want to compare the overall layouts and think about possibilities without starting and loading a new city and then promptly forgetting which was which.

You can export their height-maps in the map editor, which might be good enough. You need to copy them from the game folder to where the game stores custom maps (can't remember the folder at the moment) before you can open them in the editor.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Longbaugh01 posted:

Are you running Traffic -- or Autosave? Does it just crash on save load or also on a new game? Does it crash with all assets and mods disabled?

Disabling all custom assets would be a truly monumental task I'd like to avoid if possible. I'll have to check my mods first.

Edit: Disabled all mods. Still crashing when exiting to main menu or desktop. gently caress. :mad:

I have about 1.6gb of mod asset to test. I don't want to delete them all for fear of breaking my saved cities- manually testing them is pretty daunting

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 10, 2015

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

kemikalkadet posted:

I've been playing a lot of Besiege so it was probably subconscious.

Windmill interchanges are totally a thing, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windmill_interchange

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Somehow fixed the crashing finally, despite having no idea how, but now I'm faced with this:

error message posted:

Cannot cast from source type to destination type. [System.InvalidCastException]

And now I can no longer save. Joy :v:

I'm having flashbacks to SimCity4 now.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 10, 2015

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Poizen Jam posted:

Disabling all custom assets would be a truly monumental task I'd like to avoid if possible. I'll have to check my mods first.

I know it may seem counterintuitive to use a mod fix a mod issue, but I think nlight's Improved Asset Menu has a "disable/enable all" button.

And if the issue was a mod used on a save, and it does some drastic stuff, then you're probably not going to be able to use that save until the mod author or authors figure out their issue or conflict. But that's not going to happen unless somebody brings it to their attention, so if you can figure out the mod or mods causing it, you'd be doing everyone a public service by letting the modders know.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 10, 2015

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Another patch another crippling performance problem out of nowhere. (I am going to blame the mods). How do I trouble shoot issues like this? Just install and reload for each mod / asset?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Raskolnikov posted:

Another patch another crippling performance problem out of nowhere. (I am going to blame the mods). How do I trouble shoot issues like this? Just install and reload for each mod / asset?

I think starting from pure vanilla and working from there is the only way, unless somebody had already done the work for you and you read about someone having the same issue on a mod or asset's page in the workshop.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

I decided to try to create a 6-way turbine interchange in my city. The result was this monstrosity:

It's three highways with six total directions (plus three directions of train tracks, and roads leading into the center!). But as a true turbine interchange, it never exceeds two levels.

Holy poo poo this is a thing of (terrifying) beauty.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Does 'office' zoning count as commercial or industrial?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Does 'office' zoning count as commercial or industrial?

Industrial, think of that third bar as 'unemployment' rather than industrial demand. Building more service buildings or zoning commercial can make it go down because those things also provide jobs.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Cities: Skylines - There's A Long Line Of Cars, And It's All Because Of You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3wFxuuG-y0

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I'm trying to use highways and service roads into local roads, and generally everything is working really well. Except for one spot.

I have one stretch of highway where everyone wants to immediately be in the left hand lane (not unlike idiots I see every day in real life).

At the red arrow in my screen shot, that service road in particular seems to be where I notice the problem the most. As you can see in the screen shot, the traffic enters the highway, and then makes basically left hand turns across the entire highway until it can enter the left hand lane, backing everything up.

What am I doing wrong?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

So I've had this game for a few weeks now, and I don't like the way I deal with the starting connection. I have used this basic starting structure for all of my cities so far:

There has to be a better way to do this.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

zedprime posted:

Because its a game and it needs some sort of wrench to throw in your well oiled traffic machine because as it currently is, there is no rush hour, festivals, sporting events, road construction/maintenance, seasonal workers, accidents, severe weather, presidential motorcades, etc.

The problem is that the game throws in this wrench, and it even pretends to give you tools to deal with it, but the tools don't loving work. You'd expect cars in the right lane of a multi-lane one-way to pull around a vehicle blocking their lane, but they don't. It's not a fun design test, it's an intentional piece of AI stupidity exacerbating an unintentional one. If vehicles used lanes intelligently I could accept service/delivery vehicle blockages as a capacity-testing wildcard, but as it stands they're just dumb.

RVT posted:

I'm trying to use highways and service roads into local roads, and generally everything is working really well. Except for one spot.

I have one stretch of highway where everyone wants to immediately be in the left hand lane (not unlike idiots I see every day in real life).

At the red arrow in my screen shot, that service road in particular seems to be where I notice the problem the most. As you can see in the screen shot, the traffic enters the highway, and then makes basically left hand turns across the entire highway until it can enter the left hand lane, backing everything up.

What am I doing wrong?

Everyone getting on the highway there wanting to get in the left lane means they want to take the next left turn... which looks like the U-turn way the hell down the road... which means you desperately need bridges over the highway so people can get on going in the opposite direction. That's a key part of frontage roads, you have to connect the two sides periodically by over/underpass so traffic can make "left" turns onto the further side of the highway in a reasonable fashion.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Supraluminal posted:

The problem is that the game throws in this wrench, and it even pretends to give you tools to deal with it, but the tools don't loving work. You'd expect cars in the right lane of a multi-lane one-way to pull around a vehicle blocking their lane, but they don't. It's not a fun design test, it's an intentional piece of AI stupidity exacerbating an unintentional one. If vehicles used lanes intelligently I could accept service/delivery vehicle blockages as a capacity-testing wildcard, but as it stands they're just dumb.
If they used lanes intelligently it wouldn't actually be a test of any sort. Also your computer would catch on fire. If your traffic breaks because a truck, ambulance, police car, or fire car pauses for 10 seconds you have things you can fix in your network.

RVT posted:

What am I doing wrong?
Cars avoid local lanes on a highway beside jockeying for their next turn. The density of on and off ramps are whats causing the amount of traffic. Is it actually slowing down at all yet? If its just vaguely busy it might still hold out for a while. If its paralyzing itself, there's several ways to fix it from entirely new highways to frontage roads.

e. oh right easier depending on traffic, deleting entrances and exits. The parallel roads don't seem too busy and could absorb some traffic. also overpasses?

zedprime fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I made another dumbass map.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=422466781