Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SeANMcBAY posted:

How's Affordable Space Adventures? I was expecting an action space trader or FTL style game by the name and it seems more like a puzzle game.

Yeah I thought the name was evocative of an open world space game but the actual game looks thoroughly boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah I thought the name was evocative of an open world space game but the actual game looks thoroughly boring.

Except open world space games are as boring as games get, and affordable space adventures looks good

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I guess I've just had my fill of indy puzzle sidescrollers with graphics primarily consisting of black outlines :shobon:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

I guess I've just had my fill of indy puzzle sidescrollers with graphics primarily consisting of black outlines :shobon:

yeah, I've played so many system management puzzle games that require you to divide your attention between two screens I'm really starting to get sick of them

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

BattleMaster posted:

Did you glance at a screenshot of the game for like

two seconds

At any rate, I've gotten a few hours into the game and I'm pretty thoroughly enjoying myself. Due to the high variety of functions and the surprisingly vast utility of each one, the game manages to push out a lot of puzzles that are unique and require some degree of lateral thinking. A number of elements of the game's presentation are quite charming, the atmosphere has been getting progressively more and more dense, there's a nice air of tenseness to the tighter, slower-paced puzzles, and the game is, in general, very polished, with a lot of really great, small touches that I would not expect from most indie titles. Admittedly, I'm a massive fan of Nifflas, so I'm a bit predisposed to liking the stuff he works on due to his games just generally being "my style," but I think I'd definitely recommend the game to anyone wanting a fairly unique puzzle experience.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
Can you play Affordable Space Adventures in off-TV mode?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Afro posted:

Can you play Affordable Space Adventures in off-TV mode?

no, the game absolutely, 100% requires the touch screen input for play

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Tried to play Hyrule Warriors co-op with my wife yesterday, and holy poo poo do they really expect you to waggle the drat wii-mote for REGULAR ATTACKS?

That's insane. I know that I should get a Pro controller but the game is completely unplayable with the wiimote if it requires you to gently jerk it off for 20 minutes straight. Big downer when I realized we couldn't play HW together.

So did Twilight Princess. People will post on this forum every day to tell you this is apparently an acceptable method for controlling the game

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh yeah, get a Y cable, that's a must.

I've never used a Y cable, just to make sure I "get it" what I can do is take a USB External Hard Drive that is supposed to just be powered by only a USB Slot, and use this cable to plug it into 2 USB Slots (the two on the front or back of the Wii U) to give it the extra power to do its job? If so, that's pretty awesome. I'd want to avoid having to deal with another power adapter at the video game / TV area.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze took up so many gigabytes, and that was AFTER I moved about 10 gigs of stuff to a flash drive for storage keeping. At this price I've got to get Captain Toad, *mumbles* *mumbles* must buy hard drive...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ultigonio posted:

Did you glance at a screenshot of the game for like

two seconds

I watched the trailer, it's on the developers if they put out a trailer that doesn't represent the game.

Edit: Guess it's on me if the trailer is representative and it looks like something I wouldn't care about though :v:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 10, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Pretty much all the reviews are super positive for whatever that's worth to you

The price is kinda steep for supposedly being 5/6 hours though so I'm gonna wait for a sale

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

zolthorg posted:

So did Twilight Princess. People will post on this forum every day to tell you this is apparently an acceptable method for controlling the game

Twilight Princess is bad, but not because of motion controls

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

What exactly was wrong with Twilight Princess, other than basically trying to be Ocarina of Time 2.0, which is what I thought the fans wanted? :confused:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Skyward Sword has good motion controls if you're one of the 50% who can get them to work correctly. Twilight Princess's are bad though

Starhawk64 posted:

What exactly was wrong with Twilight Princess, other than basically trying to be Ocarina of Time 2.0, which is what I thought the fans wanted? :confused:

The game was boring as poo poo to look at. Everything was brown and there was too much bloom. Also it was just kind of boring in general

Some of the dungeons were cool though

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Twilight Princess plays a lot better on Gamecube but it's still one of the weaker Zeldas

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I mean it's also worth noting that a mediocre Zelda is still better than like 90% of games so give it a shot if you need more Zelda in your life while waiting for Zelda U

Play it on the gamecube though

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
the ice mansion dungeon was the poo poo in twilight princess

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
wii u zelda chat lol

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

majormonotone posted:

I mean it's also worth noting that a mediocre Zelda is still better than like 90% of games so give it a shot if you need more Zelda in your life while waiting for Zelda U

Play it on the gamecube though

This is true. Even the worst Zelda is still a great game.

I don't think I've ever finished a Zelda game and regretted playing it

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Starhawk64 posted:

Twilight Princess really isn't Ocarina of Time 2.0 at all, which is probably part of the reason people didn't like it, and also part of the reason it isn't complete trash*. Its art style isn't particularly great except for the water and certain pieces of visual flair, but the sound design is probably best in the series and it has a lot of excellent revisions of old items, with the newer gadgets feeling refreshingly unique, albeit horrifically underutilized. It's also probably the most content-rich 3D Zelda game, I believe, and manages to accomplish this generally with little padding in the main quest.

*overexaggeration

Astro7x posted:

This is true. Even the worst Zelda is still a great game.
no no no no

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

majormonotone posted:

The game was boring as poo poo to look at. Everything was brown and there was too much bloom. Also it was just kind of boring in general

Blame the fans for that one as well. Remember back when everyone bitched about Wind Waker's art style? Add that to the whole "We basically want OoT again!" sentiment and you get Twilight Princess. Nintendo was giving the fans exactly what they asked for.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
I kind of want to get a Wii U but the games seem underwhelming. What's the best game, the one that makes me want to buy the console to play it?

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Zonekeeper posted:

Blame the fans for that one as well. Remember back when everyone bitched about Wind Waker's art style? Add that to the whole "We basically want OoT again!" sentiment and you get Twilight Princess. Nintendo was giving the fans exactly what they asked for.

The fans deserve to get what they ask for and they deserve to get it good and hard.

I like Twilight Princess more than Ocarina though.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Smoremaster posted:

I kind of want to get a Wii U but the games seem underwhelming. What's the best game, the one that makes me want to buy the console to play it?

watch_dogs

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Smoremaster posted:

Bloodborne.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Smoremaster posted:

Are you kidding me

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

:negative:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Smoremaster posted:

Mass Effect 3 or Arkham Origins.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
het out of here smoremaster your kind isn't welcome we don't deal to gamists

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Smoremaster posted:

Rodea the Sky Soldier

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Wow rude. I was asking a serious question but I guess you guys are really defensive about the Nintendo Wii U?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Smoremaster posted:

Wow rude. I was asking a serious question but I guess you guys are really defensive about the Nintendo Wii U?

You made an underwhelming post.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Smoremaster posted:

It's Stockholm Syndrome.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Zonekeeper posted:

I remember when Wind Waker came out and I talked about how much I liked the art style and people made fun of me :(

I guess I won that round though given how ugly Twilight Princess was!! :shepface:

Smoremaster posted:

Ice Climber

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Smoremaster posted:

Yeah, sorry, Games is just kind of a bad forum and we have a lot of bad posters that like this thread. The OP has a number of games that either I liked a lot or a significant chunk of people liked a lot. The "best" games to grab for the system in terms of wide appeal are probably Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8, but I wouldn't really try to sell a console on just a game or two, anyway.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

majormonotone posted:

I remember when Wind Waker came out and I talked about how much I liked the art style and people made fun of me :(

I remember around the time Wind Waker came out that there was some weird backlash against cel-shading. I'm not sure if it was a common thing or just limited to these forums.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Smoremaster posted:

Don't buy it if you don't like Nintendo games, that's the short answer.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

raditts posted:

I remember around the time Wind Waker came out that there was some weird backlash against cel-shading. I'm not sure if it was a common thing or just limited to these forums.

it was everywhere on the internet and everyone who didn't immediately dig "celda" is dumb as gently caress

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Cel-shading is rad as gently caress and more games should use it imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Here's a list of stuff to go get;

ZombiU
Super Mario 3D World
The Wonderful 101
Bayonetta 1&2 (2's new and WiiU-exclusive)
Lego City: Undercover
Rayman Legends
Pikmin 3
Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed (best version of them, with 5-man multiplayer)
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD.
Mario Kart 8

• Locked thread