Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

blunt for century posted:

since cops can't be trusted with body or dash cameras, we should use taxpayer funds for equipping black people with body and dash cameras instead

Already done. Obamaphones. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Then you really might know what it's liiike. . . .

mother of god

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, the really scary part of this is how expertly and calmly and reflexively the cop started falsifying evidence, and how the other cops went along with it. He has done this before, and he likely isn't the only one in that department who has, either.

No, it's just something every single cop everywhere thinks about. How to get away with a bad shooting.

I'm not even joking, I worked in EMS and I saw my fair share of dicey shootings and such where it was obvious the Cop did something kind of wonky.

The weirdest thing was that the Cop would tell us what happen, which was completely implausable, then another Cop inevitably would repeat that back to us.

Very weird.

Story Time:

So I was working in a area of South Louisiana with my then nice but horribly racist partner. Well his cousin was part of the local Sheriff's department. Anyway it was late and his cousin was on duty. So we go out to visit him , we end up meeting up at a Gas Station to shoot the poo poo.

While there things get weird. Like some sort of Reverberation Racist effect my partner and him start being racists, and things go back and forth like this. Then things start getting well "dark".

His cousin starts talking about loving uprisings and poo poo , how he lives in a "pure" area and that certain people know not to come there.

Now the weird thing is their not all out right saying "Race War", just kind of I guess testing the waters on whether I'll join in , which I'm not because I know if either these two knew I was queer they'd flip their poo poo and that'd be the end of my job.

Anyway , the guy finally is like " Oh hey come check this out" So we go over to his cruiser. He opens up the trunk, and it's like the weapon stock of a Rambo movie, and he's got a giant white flag with lightening bolts or whatever on it.

So , anyway I managed to switch shifts because I knew I'd end up having to hang out with this guy and his cousin every shift and listening to this.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 9, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mavric posted:

This here. Its very obvious from the amount of people approving of deadly force in situations that could have easily ended without a gun being involved, not just in cop shootings but also civilian on civilian shootings. Even with this shooting with a video showing how completely in the wrong cop is you will find comments everywhere approving of his actions simply because the guy resisted. Americans are scared armed children, and the 2nd amendment supporters have done nothing to mitigate this fear which only leads to approval of deadly force.

The difference is that except for a few outlying cases (like Zimmerman), civilians who gently caress up in self-defense and shoot someone they shouldn't shoot tend to get convicted for their mistakes and even outliers like Zimmerman get put on trial. Police who gently caress up get to use nothing but their word regularly to justify shooting unarmed people and dropping weapons next to them, and it's considered a miracle to even get them into court.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
I agree, I was just commenting on the state of fear Americans apparently live in constantly, be they cop or civilian.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Lemming posted:

Ahahahaha oh my god, holy poo poo how is that real

God forbid you ever had to wake up to hear the news

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Anyway , the guy finally is like " Oh hey come check this out" So we go over to his cruiser. He opens up the trunk, and it's like the weapon stock of a Rambo movie, and he's got a giant white flag with lightening bolts or whatever on it.

Today I learned that there's at least one active duty cop in southern Louisiana that keeps his race war arsenal and neo-nazi flag in the back of his goddamn cruiser and is comfortable (or stupid) enough to show it off to strangers without fear of any sort of consequences.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 10, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mavric posted:

I agree, I was just commenting on the state of fear Americans apparently live in constantly, be they cop or civilian.

Well, some preliminary research suggests anywhere from 55,000 to 2.5 million defensive firearms usages by civilians per year in the US; this includes instances where the weapon is simply brandished, rather than a list of all shootings. Even the lowball estimates have not only more civilian self-defense with firearms than the number of officers shot to death, but they vastly outnumber killings by police. This suggests that the average threat to a civilian from another civilian (or cop, since that list may also include self-defense against officers overstepping their boundaries) is way, way higher than the threat officers face from civilians and it's difficult to simply call it "paranoia".

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
I'm agreeing with you dude. I was responding to the idea that cops have to be worried about civilians with guns so they totally need to be armed themselves at all times.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Today I learned that there's at least one active duty cop in southern Louisiana that keeps his race war arsenal and neo-nazi flag in the back of his goddamn cruiser and is comfortable (or stupid) enough to show it off to strangers without fear of any sort of consequences.

The kicker to that is that all of that is stuff he didn't buy his department just got through some weird "Let's give MP5 and grenade launchers to a police department with 5 dudes".

So yeah we actually in some way probably paid for him to have this poo poo.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

:owned:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Today I learned that people will find any reason to try and justify shooting a black person in the back. Even when there is a video of the shooting being played in front of them.

"I'm not saying the shooting was correct, but..."

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
So, this just happened:

quote:

San Bernardino County Sheriff's deputies appeared to use a Taser to stun a man and then beat him after he allegedly led police on a pursuit involving a vehicle and stolen horse in San Bernardino County Thursday afternoon.

Aerial footage captured by NewsChopper4 showed the man falling off the horse, and then being stunned with a Taser by a sheriff's deputy. The man then appeared to fall to the ground with his arms outstretched. Two deputies immediately descended on him and began punching him in the head and kneeing him in the groin.

The group surrounding the man grew up to five sheriff's deputies as several appeared to kick, hit, and punch him dozens of times over a two-minute period. In the two minutes after the man was stunned with a Taser, it appeared deputies kicked him 12 times and punched him 29 times. Eleven blows appeared to be to the head as seen from aerial footage. The allegedly stolen horse stood idly nearby.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Investigation found the actions on the police officers involved were all within acceptable standards.

Just sayin'.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Anderson Cooper reports that Santana did not give the video to N Charleston PD.

He called SLED, the SC State Law Enforcement Division. A lieutenant, LT Charles Ghent, came by to get a copy and followed up with a Warrant for Slager: http://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article17801612.ece/BINARY/Slager%20warrant.pdf

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 10, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Agrajag posted:

Today I learned that people will find any reason to try and justify shooting a black person in the back. Even when there is a video of the shooting being played in front of them.

"I'm not saying the shooting was correct, but..."

Hey congratulations on making it this long without learning that :unsmith:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

:stare: I'm preserving a few of the more, eh, unhinged CNN comments before they're gone.

quote:

Police gets a lot of flak lately, but personally, I love the police.

quote:

Fake video. Government hired actors. Fake crisis. Marxism. Wake up America.

quote:

Look at it this way, the child that wasn't getting the child support that was due will now get a very large settlement thousands of times more than the dead beat dad would ever pay

quote:

why it's always the blacks who have a problem with the LAW? Because ALL officers are racists? I DON'T THINK SO.

quote:

Your local police ... one of the most high risk ... and thankless jobs in the world.

quote:

Pay your child support, don't steal cars, don't run from cops and you don't have to worry about getting shot.
Welp

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

:stare: I'm preserving a few of the more, eh, unhinged CNN comments before they're gone.

Welp

All I can see is "it's ok because he was black" several times, except more racist

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

You should check out the Michael T. Slager Support Fund.

quote:

My contribution was provided because I believe that everyone deserves legal counsel when appearing before a court of law despite my opinions toward the accused. Walter’s family deserves it just as much as Slager.

Of course everyone deserves a lawyer when they are charged with a serious crime. But wouldn't it be a better use of your money to donate it to people who actually can't afford a lawyer instead of someone who until recently had a well-paying job?

quote:

its unfortunate for both as they are both victims. i know its going to be tooo hard for the dead and even harder for slager.

Yes, let's not forget the real victim here: the murderer.

quote:

He made some horrible decisions. No ifs, ands or buts about it. But he was trying to keep the streets safe. I believe that was his goal. He shouldn’t be with cold-blooded killers and psychopaths. I don’t know this officer, but I’m guessing he’s feeling really bad about this time.

Well, as long as he feels bad about it.

And then you have the people who are donating just so they can comment on the other comments.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They'd make a lot more money if they said it was to support Slager from being forced to cater gay weddings.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I'm actually not opposed to giving quarter and the benefit of doubt to Slager. I don't think he is an evil person.

I however extend this to all criminals, and not just cops. I'd imagine these people would never give the same quarter to a black offender from poverty., and only to their authoritarian heroes.

And that's the root cause, I'd imagine, for all of this.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Not to go full tinfoil here, but with Tasers becoming a plausibly-dangerous weapon that are now part of standard police kit in addition to a sidearm, police potentially have an issued drop weapon. Assuming you don't manage to get yourself comprehensively recorded, "he took my taser away and I was forced to shoot him in self defense" might become a popular song.

This isn't even to say that police are going into these situations with the intent to murder people and then plant their taser on them to get away with it, but when you gently caress up real good and now it's the most plausible story between you and protective custody...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

I'm actually not opposed to giving quarter and the benefit of doubt to Slager. I don't think he is an evil person.

I however extend this to all criminals, and not just cops. I'd imagine these people would never give the same quarter to a black offender from poverty., and only to their authoritarian heroes.

And that's the root cause, I'd imagine, for all of this.

I'm never opposed to giving a fair trial, but I can't exactly give him the benefit of the doubt. I mean, we have really crystal clear video that he shot an unarmed man in the back as he ran and dropped a weapon by his body to frame him. There's no doubt to give.

Even the people who are on his side fully admit that he did exactly what he did. They just think the justice system should go easy on him because THIN BLUE LINE and BLACK THUGS.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm never opposed to giving a fair trial, but I can't exactly give him the benefit of the doubt. I mean, we have really crystal clear video that he shot an unarmed man in the back as he ran and dropped a weapon by his body to frame him. There's no doubt to give.

Even the people who are on his side fully admit that he did exactly what he did. They just think the justice system should go easy on him because THIN BLUE LINE and BLACK THUGS.

and HE SHOULDN'T HAVE RUN

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If you watch the video in reverse you'll see that what actually happened was that the Black man rose from the dead and the officer was trying to stop a Zombie outbreak.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
God bless.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I am not doubting the events. I just think he didn't crawl out of bed with murderous intent. He broke under pressure becaude bad discipline and training, and became overwhelmed with anger and passion. Like most heat of the moment criminals.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Vahakyla posted:

I am not doubting the events. I just think he didn't crawl out of bed with murderous intent. He broke under pressure becaude bad discipline and training, and became overwhelmed with anger and passion. Like most heat of the moment criminals.

The pressure of a chubby black dude slowly running away from him and having to shoot him in the back?

editL: Ok, I admit I'd probably feel the strong urge to shoot also. Who would want to be caught on tape being slower than some chubby black dude?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The pressure of losing control of the situation, as was described earlier in the thread as a cop's worst nightmare.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Vahakyla posted:

Yeah, he made a really, really bad decision (which he should absolutely suffer the full punishment for because that bad decision was murder).

He probably tried to plant the taser as a spur of the moment thing when he realized exactly what he had just done. I honestly can't get mad at someone for trying to get out of that kind of trouble since he's probably about to get a huge portion of his life taken away from him. The real issue is that he did the thing for which he is an enormous amount of trouble in the first place.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Voyager I posted:

Yeah, he made a really, really bad decision (which he should absolutely suffer the full punishment for because that bad decision was murder).

He probably tried to plant the taser as a spur of the moment thing when he realized exactly what he had just done. I honestly can't get mad at someone for trying to get out of that kind of trouble since he's probably about to get a huge portion of his life taken away from him. The real issue is that he did the thing for which he is an enormous amount of trouble in the first place.

Are you loving kidding me? That is the absolute most reprehensible thing to do, and if he weren't caught in the act of planting evidence he would be free right this moment.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Vahakyla posted:

That's giving him a lot of credit. I don't see any difference in that guy's draw stroke and stance from any day at the range. He was calmly enforcing his will. He woke up and crawled out of bed ready to commit murder, and the nature and responsibilities of his job meant that all people who defied his demands were subject to death. He's no better than a pirate.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So? He's a person. People do desperate things. Crime is not an evil genie that just does things that are bad. You realize this?

Reprehensible deeds have a cause and a root, like most human actions. It doesn't mean we have approve of the actions, but it's important to understand why people do things.

Edit: not for Sedan, but poster above him.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 10, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Vahakyla posted:

So? He's a person. People do desperate things. Crime is not an evil genie just does things that are bad. You realize this?

Reprehensible deeds have a cause and a root, like most human actions. It doesn't mean we have approve of the actions, but it's important to understand why people do things.

Edit: not for Sedan, but poster above him.

I honestly can't get mad at a robber killing his victim for fear of being identified and having his life taken away.

I honestly can't get mad at a drunk driver for causing a fatal accident and driving away for fear of going to prison.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 10, 2015

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Agrajag posted:

I honestly can't get mad at a robber killing his victim for fear of being identified and having his life taken away.

Unironically agree. Maybe if the society would support him pre crime and post crime better, he wouldn't be desperate.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The pressure of losing control of the situation, as was described earlier in the thread as a cop's worst nightmare.

De-escalating would be controlling the situation. Escalation to violence is failure to control the situation. They're not trained to de-escalate. They're trained to escalate non-compliance (justifed or not) to violence, and when a person cowers or ineffectively flails out against brutality, they kill.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Vahakyla posted:

Unironically agree. Maybe if the society would support him pre crime and post crime better, he wouldn't be desperate.

You are absurd.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

A'yep we don't take kindly to horse rustlin' round these parts no sirree. Now that we apre'ended the feller we gon' take 'em down to the judge's house 'n set up a hangin' fer tomorra' *spittoon*

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
V

Agrajag posted:

You are absurd.

Viewing perp and victim to be victims of society both is an official criminal justince view in many of the highest developed nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Free will certainly isn't a thing, nope.

Michael Slager was a victim of Walter Scott's insistence of running away and Slager was also the victim of having shot a man in the back thus pressured into having to plant evidence in order to exonerate himself from any criminal wrong doing. Totally not actions of a man operating under his full mental capacity.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 10, 2015

• Locked thread