Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

WhiteHowler posted:

It's... okay. Kind of boring for most roles, as there aren't really very many interesting decisions to make unless you're the scientist.

Get Space Alert instead, or if you already have it, play Space Alert.

I have a friend with Space Alert and we pull it out every few years, barely learn it, and forget about it. I think we need to devote more time to it so we can finally move past the tutorial.

jmzero posted:

We found it entertaining enough for a few playthroughs (which is good enough for me), but it's not something you'll play more than 5 or 6 times I wouldn't think.

Hmm, that's kind of what I thought while reading some other reviews. Probably not worth buying full price then when there are so many other good games out there. Shame, I really like the idea behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I forgot to add, the guy's take on whether it's a problem or feature is not the interesting part, it's just fun to see one big list of many various #boardgamegate's in one place.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

lmao at the one compaining about vp cards in dominion slowing down your deck

He didn't. That was probably the one he was most positive/"feature" about.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

admanb posted:

He didn't. That was probably the one he was most positive/"feature" about.

The comments.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, I forgot to add, the guy's take on whether it's a problem or feature is not the interesting part, it's just fun to see one big list of many various #boardgamegate's in one place.

The guy who says that the Time Outs in Flash Duel are bad because it isn't thematic re: fighting games has never played a fighting game in his life lol

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Lord Frisk posted:

The comments.

Never read the comments.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

admanb posted:

Never read the comments.

That's like saying to stop reading this thread after the OP (which, admittedly, you definitely should do). BGG is a discussion forum, not a news site or youtube, the entire point is to read discussion.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I am legitimately surprised that the CitOW expansion and BSG: Exodus are well-regarded.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Divisive feature for Twilight Struggle: Cards
I like that the cards are based on historical events but critics disagree. I say it's a feature!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

That list's comments are condensed anger about outside opinions. It's pretty entertaining to look at.

Don't touch the poop, etc.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

esquilax posted:

Divisive feature for Twilight Struggle: Cards
I like that the cards are based on historical events but critics disagree. I say it's a feature!

No way, Twilight Struggle would be a much better game if it was just about increasing abstract numbers on a featureless grid. The whole "cold war" thing is really pasted on.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Streamed live play of Star Wars Imperial Assault last night. Took a bit to get through all the rules as well as trying to explain it well enough to strangers. Once we got 2-3 turns down, it was much smoother. I feel the Rebels(I was Imperial) could heal rather easy and see it being easier for them on missions that aren't timed.

Rebels lost the 1st mission as it took them too long to get through the door. I imagine in a mission or two, they will have an advantage as they grow in power due to xo and equipment. Curious to see how large of an effect agenda cards have.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Also, anyone have any suggestions for low attention span/low maintenance games once everyone is drunk at game night? Coup, Guillotine, and Werewolves are three that seem to work well enough from what we have, but I'm looking for something that's maybe a little more talk-based.

Resistance/Resistance: Avalon seem like the obvious choices to me.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Skull too, talking isn't required but if you've had a few beers you'll be trash-talking the hell out of each other as that person who needs to reveal just one more rose out of two possible cards is visibly sweating.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Some Numbers posted:

I am legitimately surprised that the CitOW expansion and BSG: Exodus are well-regarded.

The Rat expansion is pretty inoffensive, so I assume some goodwill leaks from the base game. And allowing you to go from strictly 4 to 4-5 players is a huge advantage.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

BSG is odd, in that it's a good game that slowly goes off the rails as you add in expansions that try to fix the previous one. As of now it's kind of an Arkham Horror-esque mess that really needs a 2nd edition to prune back to a good game.

I really like the look of Homeland: The Series: The Game, it sounds mechanically great traitor game, but I'm not going to buy it before I get to play.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Fat Samurai posted:

allowing you to go from strictly 4 to 4-5 players is a huge advantage.

It would be, if the Rat wasn't clumsily kludged into a very tightly balanced game.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I seem to remember that there's a thread preference for one of the * Horror games over the other, but I can't remember which.

So which one should I pick up? Arkham Horror or Eldritch Horror?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Eldritch Horror, I guess.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

ConfusedUs posted:

I seem to remember that there's a thread preference for one of the * Horror games over the other, but I can't remember which.

Neither really, but if you must subject yourself to one Eldritch is better.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ConfusedUs posted:

None of the above.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Hannibal Rex posted:

Has anyone here played Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space?

A very enthusiastic store co-owner talked to me yesterday about a bunch of his favorite games. Escape was the only one that really intrigued me from its description. Human players have to escape from a self-destructing ship before the alien players find them, the lights are out, you only navigate by sound, and you don't know who's who.

Despite the campy name, the box art was very nicely minimalistic.

It revolves entirely around the honor system, which is bad game design. There are other problems, but nothing too memorable at the moment.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

How the hell does that even work? navigating by sound in a board game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ConfusedUs posted:

Arkham Horror has more components and cards, and its the same price. There are more expansions for Arkham too :twisted:

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Rutibex posted:

Arkham Horror has more components and cards, and its the same price. There are more expansions for Arkham too :twisted:

Eldritch Horror doesn't have to be houseruled into a different game in order to be playable.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Huh. Eldritch Horror is rated pretty highly on BGG, and there are lots of positive reviews. Why do you guys seem to hate it?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Huh. Eldritch Horror is rated pretty highly on BGG, and there are lots of positive reviews. Why do you guys seem to hate it?

You should instead reverse the question and ask why they like it. It's because it's a Cthulhu themed game where you draw cards with flavor text on them. That's it. That's all it takes for a game to be highly rated on BGG, no matter how pedestrian and tepid it is mechanically.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's an okay game that can sometimes be too long and often relies too much on chance.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

ConfusedUs posted:

Here are the movement rules for Arkham Horror:

Every round, you may move a number of spaces up to your character's Speed. However, if you want to leave a space containing a monster, you'll need to make a Sneak check.

Here are the movement rules for Eldritch Horror:

Every round, you have 2 actions available to spend. One thing you can do for an action is move a single space. However, you cannot take the same action twice in one round, so you can't just move twice. But when you take the movement action, you may spend any number of tickets to move that many additional spaces. You can gain tickets by taking the Prepare for Travel action. But you can only Prepare for Travel in a space with a city icon. And you can only use it to gain a ticket of a type that corresponds to a path adjacent to that city space, e.g. can't get a train ticket in a city with no rail connections to other spaces. You can only hold two tickets at a time total. When you move, however, your "free" movement must be the first space you move, and you spend tickets to move additional spaces after your first move. So even though the types of tickets you can gain in a city are restricted to the types of paths moving out of that city, you can't actually spend a ticket on any of those paths because that first space of movement will be the free one. Oh, and also, monsters in a city make you unable to gain tickets in that city.

Eldritch Horror is very much a case of "two steps forward, one step back".

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Amoeba102 posted:

It's an okay game that can sometimes be too long and often relies too much on chance.

It's much better than Arkham Horror though. I enjoyed the time that I played it, and I wouldn't object to playing it again, but it's definitely not as good as many other games that I have access to nowadays.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

ConfusedUs posted:

Short version, they're just not very good mechanically. There's not a lot of strategy, the random happenings can (and will) make the game unwinnable, quarterbacking is a real issue, not a lot of meaningful choices, etc. Arkham was a total trainwreck, Eldritch is a better game but it's still just a fairly random dullfest with Lovecraft themes pasted on. Given you already love good poo poo like Vlaada, I'd suspect you'd be dissapointed with either one.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Plaid Hat are following up Dead of Winter with an absurdly awful looking game: http://www.plaidhatgames.com/games/ashes

Is the designer a time traveller from 1993? How do you make a CCG with worse mechanics and name than Magic: The Gathering in Two Thousand and loving Fifteen?

Scyther posted:

You should instead reverse the question and ask why they like it. It's because it's a Cthulhu themed game where you draw cards with flavor text on them. That's it. That's all it takes for a game to be highly rated on BGG, no matter how pedestrian and tepid it is mechanically.

This is also why Robinson Crusoe is so high, if anyone is wondering.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 10, 2015

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

It's much better than Arkham Horror though. I enjoyed the time that I played it, and I wouldn't object to playing it again, but it's definitely not as good as many other games that I have access to nowadays.
Well I've never played Arkham. Eldritch is good if you get into it, but usually I just end up hating the dice a bit.

The movement rules in Eldritch aren't really that burdensome, despite Lottery's big paragraph to make it seem confusing. The tickets are a good way to make movement easier and allow for planning ahead if you don't want to take other city actions, like getting equipment.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Bubble-T posted:

Plaid Hat are following up Dead of Winter with an absurdly awful looking game: http://www.plaidhatgames.com/games/ashes

Is the designer a time traveller from 1993? How do you make a CCG with worse mechanics and name than Magic: The Gathering in Two Thousand and loving Fifteen?

I playtested it but couldn't get past more than four games or so. I really didn't care for it at all and had to tell the designer I couldn't continue. We'll see how it goes for them. Maybe I'm wrong and people will like it. I personally didn't and wonder what they are thinking.

That being said, it is a pretty game artwise. Whoever they hired for the art of dead of winter and ashes is pretty good.

I really don't know why they thought creating a wizard fighting card game when they already have a drat good wizard fighting card game and there are so many other wizard fighting card games out there, including the mother of all Wizard fighting games that keeps entire stores afloat. Just making an innovative theme would help. I really like plaid hat, and their podcast is an informative look at the industry, but boy does this seems like a step backwards.

I think they are wanting to jump on the LCG bandwagon, but they already have summoner wars, which has been distributed under pretty much the same model for years. I also think that even if it is successful, the rules are going to make playtesting really hard, and their design space will be very limited.

There are good ideas in there. It isn't all bad. But it is going to have an uphill battle.

That being said, their next game is Spector Ops, which looks pretty good. I'll post my impressions once I have a game or two in.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Bubble-T posted:

Well, it's Isaac Vega, who seems to have his hands in all of Plaid Hat's worst games (Dead of Winter, City of Remnants), so that explains a lot.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Noah Redmoon looks like Johnny Five Aces

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Scyther posted:

Well, it's Isaac Vega, who seems to have his hands in all of Plaid Hat's worst games (Dead of Winter, City of Remnants), so that explains a lot.

Just looked at his list of games on BGG and yeah, that explains a lot.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Scyther posted:

You forgot Bioshock Infinite... He really has a knack for smashing a bunch of mechanics from other games into one convoluted mess.

Dead of Winter is his only successful game, but only because it is a hidden traitor zombie game. 'Battlestar Galactica with zombies' is a money printing machine, even if the game is bad. I really think Plaid hat needs to say a loving heart felt goodbye to Isaac and start looking for other talent.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Amoeba102 posted:

The movement rules in Eldritch aren't really that burdensome, despite Lottery's big paragraph to make it seem confusing. The tickets are a good way to make movement easier and allow for planning ahead if you don't want to take other city actions, like getting equipment.

They're not difficult to understand mechanically, but they're fiddly in ways that slow the game down for no reason, and lead to far more discussion and time being sunk into simple moves than should have been necessary.

Even if you just get rid of the "the free move has to be taken first" rule and let all players take their action steps simultaneously (which is what we settled on), the game starts moving much faster and loses no content in the process. Which is good, because in my experience Eldritch is usually fun for the first couple hours, but then just keeps going.

Funny that you mention the "getting equipment" action, since the other mechanic that stood out to me as particularly bad was the "loan-based economy" for item purchasing.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

SuperKlaus posted:

Played a few rounds of Honey Nut Cheerios: The Power of Oats this morning and had a blast! The game is seriously FUN. You play as yourself - I wish more board games let me immerse myself so much in their world! - and the goal is to collect delicious oats and gain their power. At the end of the game you compare your Oats Total to the Oat Power Meter to see how much power you got from oats, so the theme of "Power of Oats" is really tightly integrated in the system. The art is also great, with pictures of horseshoes on the tile that says "extra horsepower" and even a little dance step chart on the tile that says "dance ahead three!" Ha ha! This cereal game is no VP salad!

It's easy to learn. The rules are very simple: every turn each player flips a coin and moves 1 space along the track if it comes up heads, 2 if it comes up tails. This made it accessible to the whole family and a great "intro" game. But it's hard to master. There are really important 10- or 15-Oat squares smart players will aim for over the 1-to-3-Oat squares, and you have to play wisely around the squares that make you lose a turn or stop to eat tasty cereal. I'm still "chewing on" the ramifications of the one that says whole grain oats are part of a heart-healthy diet.

The greatest thing is that it supports any number of players! The trash-talking at the table was intense when I was behind by 5 Oats but then I got 15 Oats and things turned around! AND the game only cost $2.99, but I bought four core sets so I'd get a free gallon of milk (a limited time promotional add-on I am gonna flip on the 'Geek market)! That's fun value for your money. If they release an expansion (maybe Multigrain...or Frosted could be next?!) I'll be there!

I thought it was kind of a ripoff of Cap'n Needs Help: Pick up the Berries! that Quaker Oats put out several years ago. Man, that one was a classic, and I think still managed to have more innovations like the steal square. I mean sure it's playable, but I'd much rather get one of my really old boxes to the table for my first game of the day than settle for shameless reskins like TPoO anyday.