Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

OK fine, I put Ignition! in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah I'm 99% sure it's in the public domain, Rutgers University Press doesn't usually bother renewing copyright. On the off-chance it's not though, I put in a request for a copyright check on their website to confirm. I'll post back with the details when they get back to me, which I'm sure will be sometime between now and when the universe reaches uniform entropy.

edit: dang, that was quick. The book is out of copyright and in the public domain. Go hammers.

Memento has a new favorite as of 12:21 on Mar 16, 2015

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Memento posted:

Yeah I'm 99% sure it's in the public domain, Rutgers University Press doesn't usually bother renewing copyright. On the off-chance it's not though, I put in a request for a copyright check on their website to confirm. I'll post back with the details when they get back to me, which I'm sure will be sometime between now and when the universe reaches uniform entropy.

edit: dang, that was quick. The book is out of copyright and in the public domain. Go hammers.
Awesome, thanks for checking. I wonder if they get that often.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Memento posted:

Go hammers.

Not in a thread about hexanitros I won't.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

To bring the thread back from the dead, I'd like to relate a much more mundane danger that I witnessed today.

A truck full of nitrogen cylinders pulled up on the side road next to our campus, the driver grabbed a fresh 25l dewar and filled it with liquid nitrogen from one of the big dewars on the truck, sealed, it, and brought it in. I was watching this intently as he had pulled up to the front of the building rather than the service entrance by the freight elevator, and with the dewar slowly venting as they tend to do, rolled it into the concourse on a hand truck and into one of the (notably small and slow) passenger elevators to bring it to the third floor.

I waited until I saw him roll the dewar out on the third floor to call the elevator, then took the other one. I'll be mentioning it to administration tomorrow.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

As if a bunch of Nitrogens in a tighter-than-usual space could ever end poorly...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

To bring the thread back from the dead, I'd like to relate a much more mundane danger that I witnessed today.

A truck full of nitrogen cylinders pulled up on the side road next to our campus, the driver grabbed a fresh 25l dewar and filled it with liquid nitrogen from one of the big dewars on the truck, sealed, it, and brought it in. I was watching this intently as he had pulled up to the front of the building rather than the service entrance by the freight elevator, and with the dewar slowly venting as they tend to do, rolled it into the concourse on a hand truck and into one of the (notably small and slow) passenger elevators to bring it to the third floor.

I waited until I saw him roll the dewar out on the third floor to call the elevator, then took the other one. I'll be mentioning it to administration tomorrow.

For those who don't know, the normal safety procedure with compressed/liquid gas canisters of any kind, is put them in the freight elevator, and rope it off. There's usually a safety cord behind the door with a notice to not get in and not touch anything that's in there. Then you take the stairs or a passenger elevator to the correct floor, and retrieve the dewar from the freight elevator on that floor. Never travel in the same elevator that contains the dewar.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Carbon dioxide posted:

For those who don't know, the normal safety procedure with compressed/liquid gas canisters of any kind, is put them in the freight elevator, and rope it off. There's usually a safety cord behind the door with a notice to not get in and not touch anything that's in there. Then you take the stairs or a passenger elevator to the correct floor, and retrieve the dewar from the freight elevator on that floor. Never travel in the same elevator that contains the dewar.

Helium is the one exception to this.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

"Is that canister leaking?"
_"NOPE!"_

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Why is helium the exception?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

vOv posted:

Why is helium the exception?

Guessing it's because helium is nearly impossible to contain so it just fucks off without hanging around long enough to suffocate you.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Guessing it's because helium is nearly impossible to contain so it just fucks off without hanging around long enough to suffocate you.

Or that poster might be trolling, because

Beach Bum posted:

"Is that canister leaking?"
_"NOPE!"_

I mean why would you make an official exception for a single type of gas? It'd just complicate safety courses for no good reason. And a huge leak of compressed helium is still dangerous: it can replace a lot of air in a short time, suffocating you, and the decompression cools it down to immediate-frostburn levels.

Have a video of an MRI quench. It's when they do a sudden emergency shutdown of an MRI scanner, which can only be done by suddenly venting all the cryogenic liquid helium. It's already loving cold and after immediately condensating all the water in the air (the visible mist cloud), its decompression takes so much heat from the environment that the pipes turn the surrounding nitrogen and oxygen liquid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SOUJP5dFEg

And this process can go wrong. This is the only time I've heard of an MRI exploding, so it's probably very rare. But still:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R7KsfosV-o

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 07:54 on Apr 11, 2015

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

OH OH NOO OH OH OOH OOOH

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

repeating posted:

OH OH NOO OH OH OOH OOOH

What's this? It doesn't look explosive or anything. Could be a drug or a venom of some kind?

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
From much earlier posts:

Toast Museum posted:

The part of that dynemicin model above that's sort of jutting out weirdly is a ring of carbon molecules coming out of the plane the rest of the molecule is drawn in; the solid wedges indicate a bond pointing "toward" you, and the dashed wedges indicate a bond pointing "away" from you, from the perspective the molecule is drawn in. The long double or triple lines indicate, appropriately enough, double and triple bonds.

XMNN posted:

Man, chemistry is cool.

Dynemicin and compounds containing the same enediyne structure (the bit with the triple/double bonds that's sticking out) are potential antitumour drugs. They basically slide into DNA molecules then rip them in half when the bonds cyclise, killing the cells.

What does the tumor say?

repeating has a new favorite as of 09:32 on Apr 11, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cool. Just looked it up on Wikipedia.

Apparently the current problem is that it does this to all DNA, not just tumor DNA.

At this point it basically kills cancer by killing the patient. Effective, but not intended.

They're looking for ways to make it work in tumor cells only.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Things that go FOOF in the night: Reverse FOXDIE

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Carbon dioxide posted:

Apparently the current problem is that it does this to all DNA, not just tumor DNA.

At this point it basically kills cancer by killing the patient. Effective, but not intended.

They're looking for ways to make it work in tumor cells only.

This is standard practice for all anti-tumour drugs.

Because tumour cells are made out of you.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Carbon dioxide posted:

Note that this is how chemotherapy, radiotherapy, and basically all of our other cancer treatments work. The best treatments we have (especially for cancers that aren't localized in a particular spot) are basically "gently caress up everything, hope it kills the cancer before it kills you".

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jabor posted:

Note that this is how chemotherapy, radiotherapy, and basically all of our other cancer treatments work. The best treatments we have (especially for cancers that aren't localized in a particular spot) are basically "gently caress up everything, hope it kills the cancer before it kills you".

Well, there's a difference. Normal cancer treatments have a stronger effect on fast dividing cells, such as tumours, hair follicles, and certain organs we need. It doesn't destroy your other organs right away.

This experimental treatment is at the stage 'it destroys everything with extreme prejudice'. It won't be used in practice until they got it at least to the 'mostly fast dividing cells' level of the other cancer treatments.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The wikipedia link says it does preferentially target dividing cells. But it's not specific enough, so I guess it's a wash.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Jabor posted:

There's also chemotherapic drugs that are involved with specific receptors or proteins more commonly found in tumour cells or that inhibit the metabolism of intermediates that are more important for cancer cells than normal cells.

We've gone a looooong way in the last 10 or so years in how we fight cancer. Treatments are getting more specific and tolerable everyday, especially if the disease is not metastatic (in which case you're basically hosed to be honest).

edit: Radio can also be veryyyyy specific if targeted but will still kill a lot of stuff in the way/near the target area anyways :s

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Jabor posted:

Not wrong, but not complete - there are a fair few other kinds of cancer drugs these days.

If you've got ER+ breast cancer, the cancer cells grow in response to estrogen. This can fairly often be controlled with something like tamoxifen, which is a selective estrogen uptake blocker.
To grow, tumors need to make new blood vessels. This process can be slowed down/stopped (with a number of things, like bevacizumab), and while that's not ideal (it's obviously bad for wound healing, and can interfere with repairs if you've got blood vessel issues in e.g. your legs), and probably won't cure you on its own, it increases the survival rate a fair bit with modest side effects.
It's possible to get the immune system to target specific cells if you can get an antibody to bind to it. This will also target any healthy cells that it binds to, but that's still an improvement. These are most of the *mab drugs, like, say, rituximab.

I'm an IT guy in a cancer research group, so I'm not super-strong on the biology (or chemistry) here, and I've probably forgotten some. Also, the "target everything fast-dividing" class of chemotherapy are obviously still very useful.

edit: What ^^ he said.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 14:26 on Apr 11, 2015

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Argh, I keep forgetting that monoclonals against tumour antigens exist.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Along with this there are also new treatments becoming available that simply culture your own immune cells ex vivo and expose them to certain tumor antigens to ensure a response against the cancer cells in cases of a particularly insidious tumor that likes to hide from the immune system. As far as I know this is only available to the public for treatment of prostate cancer currently, but it's a style of treatment that has broad implications assuming costs could he reined in. Given the rare circumstances that immunotherapy is the best treatment, for a disease that is on the far end of the spectrum in regards to 5 year survival rates, I hope it gets off the ground. Mostly because it is really loving cool.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Computer viking posted:

If you've got ER+ breast cancer, the cancer cells grow in response to estrogen. This can fairly often be controlled with something like tamoxifen, which is a selective estrogen uptake blocker.

Just to be picky it's a selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM), it binds the receptor and prevents estrogen from activating it. But it activates it a bit on its own and in other parts of the body of activates it more strongly (which is why it's called a modulator and not an inhibitor).

An estrogen uptake blocker sounds more like an aromatase inhibitor, which blocks the enzyme that produces estrogen and is used in some breast cancers.

Cancer is a tricky business.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I saw a general science lecture on Youtube a while back (science for future politicians or something along those lines). The day's topic was radiation and nuclear stuff, and during it he talked about cancer and radiation treatment. His explanation was that cancer cells basically direct all their energy toward reproducing at max speed, and don't have enough for normal cells' repair mechanisms. So basically they're less resilient to chemical/radiation damage, which is why we can reasonably hope they'll die before the healthy cells do.

Obviously it's simplified and I have no idea how accurate it is, but it certainly sounds plausible.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Because they have defective control over their cell cycle, they don't take as much time to repair damage between divisions. It's not really about having enough energy, it's about how fast they divide.

Healthy cells that divide quickly (like hair follicles) are also very vulnerable for the same reason (although their cell cycle is not defective, just fast).

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

A biology assistant professor on a forum once described methyl fluorosulfonate as one of the most dangerous chemicals he'd ever encountered, saying, "it has this horrific tendency to methylate you. You do not want to be methylated." So what happens if you get methylated, besides just dropping dead?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always assume "You know that one guy in Robocop?"

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Data Graham posted:

I always assume "You know that one guy in Robocop?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjEdLuqK1RQ

But yeah, what's the real answer? Expect it's something about loving up DNA and replication thereof? Or does it wreck some enzyme in the liver?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
When inhaled it reacts with your cell membranes and more or less liquefies your lung tissue. It's not particularly irritating or painful so you might not notice until you start coughing on the fluid in your lungs.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
In my head I see it as turning into a giant cough drop, all wonka-like

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Pitch posted:

When inhaled it reacts with your cell membranes and more or less liquefies your lung tissue. It's not particularly irritating or painful so you might not notice until you start coughing on the fluid in your lungs.
Yeah, after some further digging it methylates the lipids in cell walls, causing them to break down. So it'd be more like that one dude in the X-Men movie, who gets turned into a jellyfish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tx_CaXqp9U

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Or maybe this happens, but in slow motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nHAZu97ftI :nws: due to gore

A relatively mundane but still dangerous chemical: liquid nitrogen can condense liquid oxygen out of the air. When combined with a ludicrously overclocked CPU like people do for those overclocking trials... :supaburn:

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 14:58 on Apr 13, 2015

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Adenoid Dan posted:

Healthy cells that divide quickly (like hair follicles) are also very vulnerable for the same reason (although their cell cycle is not defective, just fast).

Is this why chemotherapy makes your hair fall out?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bbcisdabomb posted:

Yep!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

bbcisdabomb posted:

Also, why it makes your skin weaker and more prone to wounds, makes those wounds take longer to heal, fucks your blood up, and fucks your gut up. Basically, the complications of older chemotherapies are a map for 'locations in the body in which cells divide fast'.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Don't forget all your nails popping off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
And bloody stools!

Remember, the first chemotherapy drug was based on mustard gas, after it was noted that lots of gas attack victims had depleted white cell counts. Wasn't too big a leap from there to treating lymphoma with it.