Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Bass Bottles posted:

HBO Now is cool but it's missing a lot of basic features (watch history, bookmarking system that doesn't just link you to the most recent episode, autoplay, etc) and feels like a rushed product. The password issue is pretty stupid, too. Hopefully they update things over time.

Sounds like HBO Go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Photex posted:

Sounds like HBO Go

By all accounts it appears to be literally just HBO Go without the cable provider login, yeah

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I don't see why it would have been any different.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

jabro posted:

I don't see why it would have been any different.

Different back-end developers.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Apple just emailed me an offer for a free 30-day trial of HBO Now - check your inbox

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

EugeneJ posted:

Apple just emailed me an offer for a free 30-day trial of HBO Now - check your inbox

I think everyone gets that if they sign up for it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Cool, downloaded the app on my phone and signed up. I can log onto their website on my laptop and watch stuff. They have movies and such too so that's pretty cool.

I've had no experience with HBO Go before.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

Yeah there's a free 30 day trial on the sign-up page.

awdeetdeet
May 26, 2008
Haven't seen this mentioned yet, HBO is now available on Sling. Also, not sure if this is the same for everyone else, but it seems like since I signed up for the buy 3 months get a device free promotion I had to pay for 3 months of HBO up front as well.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

It said $45 for me too but it was only $18.17 when I added and checked out

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Yeah sling prorates the cost if you did the 3 month promo. I called just to make sure. The on demand library for hbo is suppose to grow too on sling from what I've heard on reddit.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

they need to fix the on demand though, there is no text for the movies just a random screen shot, i've been playing guess the movie title all day.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Yep, and True Detective and Silicon Valley are missing episodes. Specifically, the final drat episode from Silicon Valley. And some things have a weird look to them. Like Blade Runner, aside from a weird aspect ratio, has that blurry motion 80's TV movie look to it... I dunno how to explain it. If anyone is on the fence I'd say pass for now.

Oh now the season finale shows up...

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 12, 2015

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Yep, and True Detective and Silicon Valley are missing episodes. Specifically, the final drat episode from Silicon Valley. And some things have a weird look to them. Like Blade Runner, aside from a weird aspect ratio, has that blurry motion 80's TV movie look to it... I dunno how to explain it. If anyone is on the fence I'd say pass for now.

Oh now the season finale shows up...

Yeah binged through Season 1 of SV this past week and all the episodes were there.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
HBO/Game of Thrones streaming trip report:

The quality on Sling just wasn't there for me. I guess it doesn't really bother me when I'm watching Property Brothers or some other nonsense, but my girlfriend and I both agreed that the picture quality was noticeably a step below perfect. I'm all hardwired on a gigabit connection too, so it shouldn't be a bandwidth thing, at least on my end.

HBO Now onto my TV via HDMI had pretty excellent picture quality. There were a handful of times that I was dropping frames, but it usually got back up to speed pretty quickly.

So, I'm sticking with HBO Now for the moment. I would certainly prefer that I could directly Chromecast or maybe get an app on the Xbox One, but for the small number of times that I actually plan on using it, pulling out an HDMI cable isn't the end of the world.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

tk posted:

HBO/Game of Thrones streaming trip report:

The quality on Sling just wasn't there for me. I guess it doesn't really bother me when I'm watching Property Brothers or some other nonsense, but my girlfriend and I both agreed that the picture quality was noticeably a step below perfect. I'm all hardwired on a gigabit connection too, so it shouldn't be a bandwidth thing, at least on my end.

HBO Now onto my TV via HDMI had pretty excellent picture quality. There were a handful of times that I was dropping frames, but it usually got back up to speed pretty quickly.

So, I'm sticking with HBO Now for the moment. I would certainly prefer that I could directly Chromecast or maybe get an app on the Xbox One, but for the small number of times that I actually plan on using it, pulling out an HDMI cable isn't the end of the world.

I have to agree with this, My wife wanted to watch something on sling during GoT so earlier on just in case I :filez: the first episode and tbh the 298mb download was around the same quality as the HBO Sling stream.

I still really enjoy sling, and so does my wife for the price it's still right there but I will probably cancel HBO on sling once HBO Now is available.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Is anyone using TiVo with an antenna here? I have been thinking about dropping cable since the vast majority of the shows I bother to watch now are on the broadcast networks. I do need a DVR of some sort, as I almost never watch tv live.

1. Can any of the current TiVo models other than the OTA, and maybe base cable work with an antenna? It looks like the plus and pro are cable only.

2. How are the TiVo mini devices? Can I use them to watch live broadcasts, or is it only recorded shows? Like can I use them to channel surf in a separate room and not have to buy multiple antennas?

3. Do the TiVo minis really require everything to be on a wired network? Or can I just buy a wifi adapter/router for the rooms with a mini? How about the TiVo stream to make them work with the base model TiVo?

Are there any other DVR devices out there that are plug and play for antenna?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You'd probably have better luck in the TiVo thread, but

Orvin posted:

2. How are the TiVo mini devices? Can I use them to watch live broadcasts, or is it only recorded shows? Like can I use them to channel surf in a separate room and not have to buy multiple antennas?
Pretty cool, both, and I assume just one antenna. I have a Roamio Plus (cable) and a Mini, and the Mini does everything through the base model. I don't think the Mini even has a tuner.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Orvin posted:

Is anyone using TiVo with an antenna here? I have been thinking about dropping cable since the vast majority of the shows I bother to watch now are on the broadcast networks. I do need a DVR of some sort, as I almost never watch tv live.

1. Can any of the current TiVo models other than the OTA, and maybe base cable work with an antenna? It looks like the plus and pro are cable only.

3. Do the TiVo minis really require everything to be on a wired network? Or can I just buy a wifi adapter/router for the rooms with a mini? How about the TiVo stream to make them work with the base model TiVo?

While I haven't done the TiVo mini or anything too fancy, I'm using a TiVo for everything I want and it's pretty okay. the best buy OTA TiVo is just a regular base model roamio that had the cable card slot removed, and is ineligible for lifetime service. I'd just get a base model romaio, for an extra 100 and do the break even on that + lifetime and see if it makes sense to you.

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN

blugu64 posted:

While I haven't done the TiVo mini or anything too fancy, I'm using a TiVo for everything I want and it's pretty okay. the best buy OTA TiVo is just a regular base model roamio that had the cable card slot removed, and is ineligible for lifetime service. I'd just get a base model romaio, for an extra 100 and do the break even on that + lifetime and see if it makes sense to you.

Thank you for that advice, it made me look at the Tivo from a different viewpoint. My hesitation on doing a lifetime sub with them is it's only good for that device. If you want to upgrade to a new device 2 years from now you're out money. But if you think you'll keep the device forever, then it works out. Just depends on how much you need new gadgets.

Comcast has me pissed enough that I may actually cut the cord this week :)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Orvin posted:

We use the base model with OTA and a lifetime subscription and it works well. I think Tablo is another DVR device, but I haven't tried it.

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN

Silly Burrito posted:

We use the base model with OTA and a lifetime subscription and it works well. I think Tablo is another DVR device, but I haven't tried it.

I've been reading about Tablo and it has some great features, but also has a higher up front cost than Tivo. You need to provide your own USB hard drive, and you also need a streaming box (Roku/AppleTV/Fire/Chromecast) to get the signal to your TV. You can access the Tablo via their app on your devices if you pay for their sub. (4.99/mo or $49.99/yr) That sub gets you the guide updates as well. As I mentioned, they do have a higher upfront cost on the device as well, a 2 tuner model is $199 and the 4 tuner is $299. (Roamio OTA is a 4 tuner).

So depending on your needs/wants it's a very viable option.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
You can usually find $100 off lifetime deals, so if you keep it 20 months you're good to go. Plus even if you do upgrade in a year or two, the fact that it has lifetime means you can use it in a spare bedroom or sell/give it away easily.

The big gotcha (for me) was the ota and base units only come with a 500gb drive, and it voids the warranty when you upgrade it to 3tb.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
The last rumor was that tivo laid off a lot of their hardware engineers, so depending if you believe that you may not see any hardware after the roamio anyway.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

How did HBO Now hold up last night during GoT/SV? I was going to try to stream it live but ended up watching the actual cable broadcast at a friend's house.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I dunno how it fared at exactly 9:00PM EDT, but I watched about an hour or so later and had no issues. Picture quality was excellent on my computer, though I wish it didn't require Flash.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

MrBond posted:

The last rumor was that tivo laid off a lot of their hardware engineers, so depending if you believe that you may not see any hardware after the roamio anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised. With IP based solutions becoming more popular all the time I don't see CableCard lasting much longer. With better/more consistent stream availability DVRs might start to fade too. Lord knows I barely use mine anymore.

Maybe they'll hack up their own streaming device?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
It was nice to see that GOT was up on HBO NOW after it aired on EST, I didn't check to see if it was up live, so I could watch it early on the west coast like satellite allows. Picture was sharp, but the bit-rate just wasn't there, it would fall apart on movement.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
No issues last night with Game of Thrones, seems like they learned their lesson from last year.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Picture was sharp, but the bit-rate just wasn't there, it would fall apart on movement.
On what device? It was flawless on my iMac and iPad. I didn't get a chance to try the Apple TV yet.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I wasn't watching last night, but over the weekend we watched almost two seasons of GoT through our Apple TV and I can't remember any video glitches.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Cashed in my free month of SlingTV on the Xbox One. Between on-and-off picture quality, a bad interface on the Xbox, the PC, and Android, no Chromecast support (seriously??), weird programming blackouts, and a pretty sudden realization that ESPN was the only thing worth watching, I'm definitely not putting money down for it. If they put out a Disney-only tier where I'm basically paying $15-20 a month for the ESPNs and the associated online streaming services, I'll put up with the jank, but I'm not dropping $25 a month for that and a bunch of other crap I skip over every time. Basically it's cheaper cable still sadled with a bunch of poo poo that pisses me off about cable.

The XBox One is adding an OTA tuner with OneGuide support, though, so that's nice. I wish it would just use my HDHomerun that way and record but hey, baby steps.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TheScott2K posted:

Cashed in my free month of SlingTV on the Xbox One. Between on-and-off picture quality, a bad interface on the Xbox, the PC, and Android, no Chromecast support (seriously??), weird programming blackouts, and a pretty sudden realization that ESPN was the only thing worth watching, I'm definitely not putting money down for it. If they put out a Disney-only tier where I'm basically paying $15-20 a month for the ESPNs and the associated online streaming services, I'll put up with the jank, but I'm not dropping $25 a month for that and a bunch of other crap I skip over every time. Basically it's cheaper cable still sadled with a bunch of poo poo that pisses me off about cable.

Sling's $20 a month.

And the Xbox One app is notoriously bad. Try to watch it on any other device.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Panty Saluter posted:

I wouldn't be surprised. With IP based solutions becoming more popular all the time I don't see CableCard lasting much longer. With better/more consistent stream availability DVRs might start to fade too. Lord knows I barely use mine anymore.

Maybe they'll hack up their own streaming device?

They already have most of the streaming services integrated into the TiVo. If they had sling, or a Roku-like platform for third party apps to supplement the recording I'd be totally happy.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Long load times for Sling on my Roku when I started it up, but once it got going HBO looked great.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Sling's $20 a month.

And the Xbox One app is notoriously bad. Try to watch it on any other device.

The only ESPNs that come with the $20 package are 1 and 2. The rest come for an extra $5. So in the $20 package I'm paying for TNT, TBS, HGTV, and a bunch of other stuff I don't want. Its the same bundling problem as cable, just at a smaller scale. I'd be okay with it if they at least broke it up by media cartel - I can only get ESPN if I take Disney Channel, for instance. With the Time Warner and Scripps channels in the basic package, though, what's the point for me?

And the UI on Android is the same on the Xbox and PC, and they haven't bothered making it work on Android TV, so clearly it is what it is for the time being.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 14, 2015

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I used Sling for the free trial and liked it, but unfortunately its not an option until they offer the regional sports networks, and who knows when that would happen and at what cost.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Gyshall posted:

No issues last night with Game of Thrones, seems like they learned their lesson from last year.

Not so much as learned their lesson as hired a competent company to run HBO go for them.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

On what device? It was flawless on my iMac and iPad. I didn't get a chance to try the Apple TV yet.

AppleTV. My standards are a bit high too as I'm using a projector. Otherwise I'm sure the image would be fine on a 50 or 60"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I hate how HBO Now has commercials before whatever you're watching. With this and the clunky interface it feels more like on-demand than Netflix. But at least you don't need to use a cable box.