Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Smoremaster posted:

Wow rude. I was asking a serious question but I guess you guys are really defensive about the Nintendo Wii U?

Basically what we're saying is that if you did read the game list in the op and said "this is underwhelming" than this is not the console for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Smoremaster posted:

I kind of want to get a Wii U but the games seem underwhelming. What's the best game, the one that makes me want to buy the console to play it?

Honestly? Nintendoland. I'm not even kidding.

I don't even think it's the best Wii U game but it single-handedly justifies the Game Pad in my opinion.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Speaking of, Ultigonio you might want to break down the Recommended Wii Games section into two parts to denote what's available on the eShop and what isn't.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I played the first 16 levels of affordable space adventures. It's pretty cool.

My main complaints would be the loading times are a bit long, and a bunch of the first levels that introduce mechanics you could put them together to alleviate that somewhat, and I've run into a couple block puzzles where you could screw it up to where you need to restart the level because the block got caught on level geometry. Overall though it is really cool and has a great sense of isolation and suspense. Tensest moment so far was coming to a locked door then suddenly seeing a giant killer probe coming up behind me and just cutting all my engines the gently caress off just in time til it passed.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
So the people who make the Shantae video games (Wayforward) are hoping Shantae gets voted in the Smash Bros Fighter Ballot. It's not that crazy; her first game was on the Gameboy Advance. Also, I really think she'd at least have a unique fighting style (hair attacks and genie powers).

I guess what I'm saying is we should vote for Shantae. Also, play "Shantae and the Pirate's Curse" if you haven't; great game! Plus, a possible Shantae Amiibo would rule.

I don't know how many characters Nintendo are going to accept, let alone if they'll do third party stuff, but if actual game developers themselves are saying "Yeah Nintendo use our character!" and enough fans want it, then it is win-win for everyone.

Nintendo has a good marketing tool ahead of them. They have already demonstrated that they aren't afraid to turn "Mario Kart" into "Nintendo Kart" by adding Link and Animal Crossing. I am fine with them doing this. If the Animal Crossing Mario Kart DLC sells well I could see them doing another round of some sort in the future. REAL BATTLE MODE PLEASE!!

They could continue to release content for Smash Bros almost indefinitely. Costumes are cheap. People who already bought the game will throw more money at it for more characters. Maybe someday we'll even be able to buy stages or something!

I think Nintendo's long time plan is to DLC the crap out of Smash Bros and I am okay with that. Plus, the creator of Smash Bros said this is probably the last Smash Bros game he'll ever work on. So, why not just make this the end all Smash game? Team Fortress II is nearly 10 years old and that game still gets new awesome content.

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 10, 2015

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Smoremaster posted:

I kind of want to get a Wii U but the games seem underwhelming.
I wish people wouldn't jump on posts like this, but it would help if we had an idea of what you don't like? Does Super Mario 3D World not make you infectiously happy? Does Baoyentta 2 not look like a kick-rear end time? Does 200CC Mario Kart and Smash Bros with good online play not excite you? If that's not what you're into then selling you on the Wii U will be... difficult.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Spectacle Rock posted:

So the people who make the Shantae video games (Wayforward) are hoping Shantae gets voted in the Smash Bros Fighter Ballot. It's not that crazy; her first game was on the Gameboy Advance. Also, I really think she'd at least have a unique fighting style (hair attacks and genie powers).

I guess what I'm saying is we should vote for Shantae. Also, play "Shantae and the Pirate's Curse" if you haven't; great game! Plus, a possible Shantae Amiibo would rule.

i'm gonna go ahead and offer a counterpoint: don't vote for shantae

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

deadwing posted:

:agreed:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Speaking of, Ultigonio you might want to break down the Recommended Wii Games section into two parts to denote what's available on the eShop and what isn't.

Oh, that's not a bad idea. It could get a bit messy with all the regional differences, though - I may end up just doing three separate headers (NA, PAL, JP), even if that's not as clean and stylish as I'd like it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lego Dimensions looks rad as gently caress. What is it even?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deadwing posted:

Vote for Captain Syrup instead

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ultigonio posted:

Oh, that's not a bad idea. It could get a bit messy with all the regional differences, though - I may end up just doing three separate headers (NA, PAL, JP), even if that's not as clean and stylish as I'd like it.

Just put them by the titles like;

Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Skies (PAL, US in May)

Or something.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Looks like it's Lego's answer to Skylanders/Disney Infinity/Amiibo.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

tir mcdohl is going to win the Smash contest

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Smoremaster posted:

Wow rude. I was asking a serious question but I guess you guys are really defensive about the Nintendo Wii U?

The Wii U is awesome. Hyrule Warriors, the VC library, definitive version of Deus Ex Human Revolution if you don't have a PC, DK Tropical Freeze for tough platforming, Smash Bros...

I mean yeah if you don't like Nintendo games then don't bother. Otherwise it's amazing system hamstrung but an unfortunate gimmick. I love mine and now there's DS games you can play on it.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Rodea the Sky Soldier

Thanks for reminding me.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

TheHoosier posted:

The Wii U is awesome. Hyrule Warriors, the VC library, definitive version of Deus Ex Human Revolution if you don't have a PC, DK Tropical Freeze for tough platforming, Smash Bros...

I mean yeah if you don't like Nintendo games then don't bother. Otherwise it's amazing system hamstrung but an unfortunate gimmick. I love mine and now there's DS games you can play on it.

The gamepad is cool and makes the Wii U the perfect console for all making GBS threads related needs

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Raserys posted:

The gamepad is cool and makes the Wii U the perfect console for all making GBS threads related needs

Mine's just outta reach... :(

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

deadwing posted:

Done and done.

I voted three times even though you're only supposed to vote once. First vote was for the Inklings and then I came back and was like, "Eh, Shovel Knight!" and then Phil Specter was all, "Hey you know it would be cool if Banjo and Kazooie were in Smash!" and I went, "You're right, Phil Spector, it would be cool."

I'm really only married to Banjo-Kazooie and the Inklings and I only think the Inklings have a chance.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think at this point you'd need to burn Microsoft to the ground to get Banjo-Kazooie near a Nintendo console again.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
if you're not voting for wonder-red then why are you voting

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
There's so much on this page that could be solved with Captain Toad. Underwhelmed by WiiU games? Buy Captain Toad. About to vote for Shantae? Vote Captain Toad instead. Captain Toad. Serious.

I just love the good captain, okay?

I think I read somewhere that there's five blank spots in the roster in smash right now for DLC characters. Obviously Mewtwo and Lucas get two of those spots. I would bet cashmoneyrecords that the inklings get one, because Nintendo would like to promote Splatoon but they might not draw enough of the DLC vote, considering how new they are. At least one must be for whoever everyone votes for Captain Toad.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
That's only because there are empty spaces on the bottom row with character portraits, there's no real reason

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Thanks, being able to have a game download without being home is amazing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Vote for Shantae, you can't make Smash brothers any worse at this point.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think at this point you'd need to burn Microsoft to the ground to get Banjo-Kazooie near a Nintendo console again.

Not according to Phil Spector. I have no sense of reality and too much hope. Let me have this.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

absolutely anything posted:

if you're not voting for wonder-red then why are you voting

Viewtiful Joe.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Bean posted:

I think I read somewhere that there's five blank spots in the roster in smash right now for DLC characters. Obviously Mewtwo and Lucas get two of those spots. I would bet cashmoneyrecords that the inklings get one, because Nintendo would like to promote Splatoon but they might not draw enough of the DLC vote, considering how new they are. At least one must be for whoever everyone votes for Captain Toad.

There's room for 4 more characters before the 3DS character select has to resize its icons or start scrolling. There's room for just 2 more characters before the Wii U select screen has to do the same. Both screens will adjust as necessary, when necessary. Not much you can read into it.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

There's room for 4 more characters before the 3DS character select has to resize its icons or start scrolling. There's room for just 2 more characters before the Wii U select screen has to do the same. Both screens will adjust as necessary, when necessary. Not much you can read into it.

6 = 2 ?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's a buffer on the sides for overscan, and that has to stay there. Notice how no UI elements anywhere on the screen extend past a certain point on the left and right.

Also, that's not the full roster. It's missing 4 characters. As characters unlock, the icons shrink horizontally to accommodate more columns while still respecting the buffer zones. They'll shrink again once there's 3 or more DLC fighters, so there's no particular limit.

Full current roster with buffer zones marked:

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 10, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It looks to me like Skylegos / Lego: Infinity

It seems like the exact opposite of "rad as gently caress" to me because you're gonna have to buy bullshit figurines to insert the characters and their "infinity base" equivalent looks big and bulky and ugly.
Who the gently caress wants Lego figurines that you can't play with and are stuck to a dumb little pedestal and probably will cost way more than just regular-rear end lego men?

TheHoosier posted:

I mean yeah if you don't like Nintendo games then don't bother. Otherwise it's amazing system hamstrung but an unfortunate gimmick.

The gamepad is awesome and the console is not "hamstrung" by it at all seeing as most games don't even require it but most every game can use it if you want to.
That's how you do a peripheral right, and god knows Nintendo has hosed up peripherals enough times. I've been converted to the mindset of "if your console doesn't have off-tv play then gently caress you."

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 10, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite part of the gamepad is still using it to bring youtube videos into the kitchen so I can cook/clean while watching something, then walking back to the living room and picking up whatever game I paused to eat. It's pretty great. Gaming in bed is also neat but rarely used as I typically need to sleep when I go to bed.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

raditts posted:

The gamepad is awesome and the console is not "hamstrung" by it at all seeing as most games don't even require it but most every game can use it if you want to.
I guess you could say it "hamstrings" it in the sense that it raised the Wii U's price considerably. I'm fairly confident it would have sold much better had its launch price been $100 lower or so, and by this point in time it's become pretty clear that the gamepad didn't pan out as the major selling point for the console that it was intended as, what makes the Wii U as good as it is is its solid library of great games instead. But oh well, all of that's bygones now.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Shantae's first game was on the Gameboy Color you peasants.

Also why would anyone not vote for Shantae. That's dumb as gently caress

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I voted for Impa.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

To me, the SSB character roster is all about priority, not just eligibility, and putting Shantae in before other more famous 3rd party characters is like letting her cut in line. Not cool.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Devil's Third Man for Smash:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Give mike jones a goddamned trophy at least nintendo you fucks

please

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Devil's Third Man for Smash:

im not sure if they could fit literally every generic action game character into smash but it'd be neat to see them try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I would pay tit-shaking money for duke nukem in smash

• Locked thread