Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samael
Oct 16, 2012

First feature match- Jacob Wilson vs William Jensen, I think this game is going to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Olothreutes posted:

The event that made me want to know was at FNM, so regular REL. I wasn't aware that you can't issue UC minor at regular REL though. For the most part at FNM the official is also the guy running the register and there are 2-3 regulars, myself included, that are judges and help take calls if he is busy.

E: Rereading the IPG it might actually have been major. The guy is a regular at the store but isn't a great drafter or player. He's usually nice enough but can get frustrated and is just generally a little awkward. He was playing against the son of another regular who is probably about 12 and got frustrated enough with his deck not working that he slammed the table and sort of shouted about it.

As pointed out already stop applying the IPG to Regular REL and use the JAR instead.

From the JAR:

quote:

Certain actions will not be tolerated under any circumstances. Every effort should be made to educate players before and during events; however, ignorance is not an acceptable defence of these actions. Any player engaging in the following must be removed from your event and, at the Organizer's discretion, removed from the venue entirely:
* Aggressive, violent, harassing or abusive behavior (physical or verbal).

If you think the player has crossed this line, DQ them. This is one of the rare occasions where Regular REL penalties are a little more severe than Competitive REL (USC - Major is an upgradable Match Loss). Personally it's hard to tell quite where it actually lies but it's definitely bloody close, so if you aren't DQing this player you should be giving them a hell of a warning.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

As pointed out already stop applying the IPG to Regular REL and use the JAR instead.

If you think the player has crossed this line, DQ them. This is one of the rare occasions where Regular REL penalties are a little more severe than Competitive REL (USC - Major is an upgradable Match Loss). Personally it's hard to tell quite where it actually lies but it's definitely bloody close, so if you aren't DQing this player you should be giving them a hell of a warning.

Yeah, I wasn't really aware of the JAR until now, but I've read the whole thing (a massive two pages). I'll definitely keep that in mind in the future. I don't know that I would have issued a DQ, but a stern warning would probably go a long way.

My biggest question was about when I can and cannot issue warnings and the like.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Samael posted:

First feature match- Jacob Wilson vs William Jensen, I think this game is going to be good.

It's cool that we got to see both of their drafts, so I know going in that Wilson's deck is super sweet and Jensen drafted a very basic, middle-of-the-road deck.

Limited matches are a lot more interesting when you actually know what's in each player's deck.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Olothreutes posted:

Yeah, I wasn't really aware of the JAR until now, but I've read the whole thing (a massive two pages). I'll definitely keep that in mind in the future. I don't know that I would have issued a DQ, but a stern warning would probably go a long way.

My biggest question was about when I can and cannot issue warnings and the like.

Am I right in assuming you're certified ie L1+? I don't know if this was true when you certified but nowadays knowledge of the JAR is required for L1 tests.

Especially if you primarily judge FNMs etc you should make yourself very familiar with it - the IPG doesn't apply at all.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

Am I right in assuming you're certified ie L1+? I don't know if this was true when you certified but nowadays knowledge of the JAR is required for L1 tests.

Especially if you primarily judge FNMs etc you should make yourself very familiar with it - the IPG doesn't apply at all.

I am L1, yes. My exam didn't cover anything from the JAR, only the IPG/MTR oddly. I don't know how recently you mean by nowadays, but I tested less than a year ago.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 10, 2015

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Olothreutes posted:

I am L1, yes. My exam didn't cover anything from the JAR, only the IPG/MTR oddly. I don't know how recently you mean by nowadays, but I tested less than a year ago.

Not sure when it went in, I only certified in January :shobon:

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

fadam posted:

Why won't MTGO let me open these spare Theros/RTR boosters I have?

I had that same problem. I even went through a lengthy process with an ORC but they just didn't understand the problem. There is literally not an option where there usually is to open them.

I don't know why it won't let you open them, though. My problem never got fixed and I stopped using MTGO

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

MODO is trying to save you from yourself!

Jacob Wilson's deck is pretty obscene. Also nice seeing Kibler with a great dragon filled deck.

Also insane that 5/8 there of the players in the feature match area were hall of famers.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Wezlar posted:

MODO is trying to save you from yourself!

Jacob Wilson's deck is pretty obscene. Also nice seeing Kibler with a great dragon filled deck.

Also insane that 5/8 there of the players in the feature match area were hall of famers.

(paraphrased from interview after round 1)
Interviewer: "Were you excited about the Dragon set?"
Kibler: "From the time I heard the name, YES"
Kibler: "Game came down to dragon vs dragon; mine were bigger"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anyone who hasn't watched LSV's newest videos, watch them now, at least match 3. M3G2 is literally the best game of magic I have ever seen.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Olothreutes posted:

Wait what? I certified last summer, and the JAR was part of it. All questions about FNMs are based on the JAR, unless you got super lucky/unlucky with your practice tests.

Speaking of that, I got in a L2 study group! And there's a PPTQ going on in a week at my local store. Now reading through the annotated IPG which is pretty great. If you're a Judge of any level and you haven't been to a conference, go as soon as you can, you won't regret it.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Assault Formation doing work so far

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Serperoth posted:

Speaking of that, I got in a L2 study group! And there's a PPTQ going on in a week at my local store. Now reading through the annotated IPG which is pretty great. If you're a Judge of any level and you haven't been to a conference, go as soon as you can, you won't regret it.

I'd agree with absolutely all of this. Hopefully I'll be presenting at the next UK-based one :)

On standby for my first PPTQ tomorrow :ohdear:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mfcrocker posted:

I'd agree with absolutely all of this. Hopefully I'll be presenting at the next UK-based one :)

On standby for my first PPTQ tomorrow :ohdear:

Nice, best of luck with both of these. And speaking of Nice, I'll be in France for a semester, itching to see if Nice has a Magic community, maybe see if I can attend a French conference, meet more people. Any French magigoons here?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

someone needs to give huey some shirts that fit

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011
That's a crazy rule-misunderstanding by Adrian Sullivan... :(

EDIT: Oh wait, his thinking wasn't as far-fetched as I thought, since he did end up with the Sidisi at the end..

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

scaevola posted:

Illusory Gains is a drat confusing card at times. Almost Perplexing Chimera-level of confusing.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

scaevola posted:

EDIT: Oh wait, his thinking wasn't as far-fetched as I thought, since he did end up with the Sidisi at the end..

I guess he plays with the stack upside-down as well

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

LSV is either 0-2 or 0-3 :( but Chapin has started 3-0!

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Wezlar posted:

LSV is either 0-2 or 0-3 :(
He probably tried to draft 4 Skywise Teachings and a couple Learn from the Pasts.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

That was a rough round on rules calls. Not often you see the pros get that tripped up. At least the soulfire grandmaster guy got to untap his lands after a pretty rtfc misrule by the first judge.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Alaan posted:

That was a rough round on rules calls. Not often you see the pros get that tripped up. At least the soulfire grandmaster guy got to untap his lands after a pretty rtfc misrule by the first judge.

What happened?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

kizudarake posted:

What happened?
A judge had told him earlier that he could use the buyback ability on Soulfire Grand Master when he was rebounding Center Soul on his upkeep. He tried to do it on camera and his opponent stopped him and called in another judge, who was like "it says 'cast from your hand', idiot".

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Finally had ten minutes to use an actual computer and look up my magic stats on xamleeg.

Overall record: 464-278-25
Win percentage ignoring draws: 62.533693
Win percentage including draws: 60.495437

Not bad.

Standard:
Overall record: 231-132-11
Sealed:
Overall record: 87-45-5
Booster Draft:
Overall record: 67-46-4
Modern:
Overall record: 42-29-2

Mostly consistent across formats. I'll take it.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Wow, Floch Bile Blighting his own Sylvan Caryatid to kill Lee Shi Tian's for the win.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lancelot posted:

Wow, Floch Bile Blighting his own Sylvan Caryatid to kill Lee Shi Tian's for the win.

Yeah, I remember doing that in RTR-Theros standard. It doesn't come up much, but it feels great when you can pull it off to do something relevant.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Both LSV and Cheon 0-3ing their draft pods. :stare:

EDIT: Shouta Yasooka at 4-0!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Can we all agree that Rich Hagon and Brian David-Marshall are the absolute worst. They are the cherries on the poo poo sundae that is the Pro tour coverage.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rich Hagon is the only one worth listening to. He has a colorful personality, sounds interesting, and doesn't have some autistic death grip of small magical intricacies he can't wait to tell you about.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Chromantiflayer?!? :vince:

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Chromanticore Soulflayer in the loving Pro Tour?! :captainpop:

Edit: Exiling Sylvan Caryatid and Pharika to make a BB 4/4 indestructible hexproof. :allears:

Lancelot fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 10, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Atarka Abzan vs Chromantiflayer, what a boring standard

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It shows you how lovely Mardu is that even Crackling Doom which is AWESOME in this format can't even see play...

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I hate this Jamie Parke guy. I don't care how cool this deck is, this level of pointless hand shuffling is unacceptable.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
BESTOWED SOULFLAYER!!! The dream is real.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, bestowed Chromanticore onto Soulflayer!

I love this standard!

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

This deck officially owns. I know what I'm building for Standard now.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I need a list by 2 p.m. so I can take it to FNM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SphericalDan
Sep 30, 2006
I claim this booty in the name of France :D
Holy crap this Chromantiflayer deck is silly. I want to play the hell out of it.

• Locked thread