Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Killed By Death posted:

Xpeke is really loving popular. Like, only Ocelote really compares to him in terms of EU popularity (or maybe, used to).
SivHD had a really loving nice place too, and I think he only lives with a couple other streamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Peke is also much better than Ocelote ever was, even now.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Doublelift seems like he's taking the loss with good humor given his stream is now titled "Teaching you how to lose CLG style"

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Libertine posted:

I think xPeke keeps on going just to one up Ocelote at every step and make him look dumb. He's been trying to get a challenger team into pro scene for almost a year and a half and Peke did it in 4 months.

xPeke is the Xpecial to Ocelote's CLG. Part of what made the original nexus backdoor kill amazing was that Ocelote was on the receiving end.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Calax posted:

Doublelift seems like he's taking the loss with good humor given his stream is now titled "Teaching you how to lose CLG style"

I think he's taking the loss in good humor in the sense that he's been losing the same way for years and doesn't seem to mind enough to change.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The new Ryze has hit ze PBE.

Biggest differences are his E and Passive. The passive now acts like a Gnar bar and is built up based on casting abilities. When he turns into Electric Superman casting drops cd's on his other abilities and he gets a shield based on max mana. He keeps the AP scaling off Mana.

His E now is just "hit central target, split to everyone nearby, then returns to primary target". Instead of the bouncing orb of doom.

Also the CDR off his q is pushed to his Ultimate.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The biggest difference is his Q is a skillshot, mang.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Why does Thoooooooooooooooooooooooorin hate CLG so much? I'm only watching for Monte but every time they try to swap to another topic it comes back to "Well CLG is pure poo poo, Doublelift is terrible, aphromoo is terrible! EVERYONE IS TERRIBLE!"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Thoorin hates everyone except for Flame, whom he's got a very large crush on.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I just find it hilarious how badly Thoooooooooooooooooorin wants to have Doublelift kicked off the team.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Sometimes I get the feeling that he's a closet CLG fan who feels betrayed by his team over and over. But then he goes off on them for like 20 minutes and I don't know what to think.

He's probably just tired of this team, fan or not.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Watching Dentist yell at Thooooooorin (no I won't ever stop doing that because the name is stupid with the extra o's) about his theory crafting over Dentist's team is pretty hilarious.

And watching Dentist and Monte just talking about stuff is fun... Thoooooooorin is just an rear end who managed to be in the right spot at the right time to become this "thing" in esports (I can only guess)

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
Thorin doesn't hate CLG, I think both he and Monte see the Potential and really want NA/EU teams to improve, but they can't call a bad team not a bad team.

There was one line or segment or some poo poo on one of the summoning insights about trying to compare the ability or reputation of Doublelift to Piglet, and why it's loving dumb as heck because one of them is a former world champion with multiple OGN titles under his belt, and the other literally hasn't won a single LAN event anywhere.

Also this brand of commentary always includes elements of hyperbole, because it would be a dumb loving show to just spooge on about how awesome all of these pros are compared to the thousands of high level players playing on wanna-be professional teams, so they have to call the sixth best team in the region lovely, because relative to TSM/TiP/Liquid, they still have never won anything and haven't sniffed success in this iteration of the competition.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Pretty much every Thoorin interview I've seen has a set of questions about CLG, I'm almost certain he's a big fan who hates how loving terrible they are.

Also didn't he get dicked around by them for ages with a Doublelift interview?

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
I mean, montecristo agreed to coach CLG remotely (which in retrospect turned out to be as loving silly as it sounded at the time) trying to help them win, yet got frustrated because apparently pro e-sports gamers can't go to sleep or wake up on-time without thousands of years of cultural pressure and dozens of support staff. I think you can tell Monte was disillusioned by the whole experience and now just cuts through all the bullshit and gave up any hope of them getting any better or trying to discuss what would solve CLG's playoff performances.

That review he did of the clg/liquid series was harsh as gently caress and yet totally deserved

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
To me, Monte sounds like he's burned some bridges with the CLG org since his coaching days, and is not very good at hiding the schadenfreude of getting to poo poo on his former employer. Not very analyst-y honestly, even when much of what he says hits home.

On the other hand, Thorin being angrier towards CLG than most others is a show of love.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Admoon posted:

Sometimes I get the feeling that he's a closet CLG fan who feels betrayed by his team over and over.

its almost like a masochistic relationship it seems sometimes. I'd be willing to bet this sentence has left his lips at some point in his life:
"nooo doublelift, stop flashing into tower, thats something those poles would do* wank wank wank*

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

Ihki posted:

To me, Monte sounds like he's burned some bridges with the CLG org since his coaching days, and is not very good at hiding the schadenfreude of getting to poo poo on his former employer. Not very analyst-y honestly, even when much of what he says hits home.

On the other hand, Thorin being angrier towards CLG than most others is a show of love.

I don't how you get this impression at all. He obviously likes the players, still gives them respect when talking about them, and Thorin literally has to try cornering him on the subject for hours before he will talk about anything but the results of their games. Even then he flat out refuses to call Doublelift poo poo. He outright said he wasn't going to answer the question as to whether he was uncoachable. The most he will say about Hotshot is that he's too much of a nice guy. Obviously the organization has problems and the team itself sucks, but he never attacks individuals.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I get the impression Monte is just really sad when he sees CLG making mistakes that he must have coached them about, stuff like "pick a team that can engage your opponents comp ever".

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Jayisspecial posted:

I don't how you get this impression at all. He obviously likes the players, still gives them respect when talking about them, and Thorin literally has to try cornering him on the subject for hours before he will talk about anything but the results of their games. Even then he flat out refuses to call Doublelift poo poo. He outright said he wasn't going to answer the question as to whether he was uncoachable. The most he will say about Hotshot is that he's too much of a nice guy. Obviously the organization has problems and the team itself sucks, but he never attacks individuals.

I haven't listened through the latest SI, but maybe Monte isn't running with Thorin's insane poo poo because Thorin is kind of insane.

Beyond that it sounds like his relationship with CLG is on par with TSM, he's more or less frustrated describing both teams' successes, as you could see for CLG early in the split. He'll happily make a three hour VOD to incredulously underline their recent failures, though. I never said he was openly hostile, but he sure as hell doesn't like CLG anymore. You won't hear him and his former teammates' friendly ribbing each other anymore, I can bet you that much.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
People were saying monte hates CLG when they were doing decent at the start of the split and he was criticising them, but he was right. Everything he said came true. They can't team fight for poo poo, they make Zion do stuff he isn't good at, nobody but aphro knows how to engage.. he was 100% right and people still think it's some dumbflex

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Thorin's true loyalty is to C9. Monte is, I think, pretty ambivalent, but I think they both like the idea of CLG doing well and beating out TSM in NA - that's where the true animosity is, for both of them, as they more or less openly admit.

Thorin, however, consistently throughout esports has always hated teams that can't realise their potential. If you claim to be good and fall on your face Thorin is going to be there to point out why you're a gently caress-up. He does it for individuals all the time: he's been a major force in CS:GO teams ditching their older talent that's started to underperform. His video on Nien was probably the single biggest community thing that pushed Nien to leave CLG. Thorin, to put it simply, (generally) loves winners and hates losers.

Generally I think the criticisms are on point. If CLG wants to be good it needs to get real and stop pretending the same approach that it has used for years unsuccessfully will one day come good. That doesn't just mean booting talent that is below their aspiration level, but fixing the entire CLG culture that seems to break every lineup they have.

Edit: seems like Dlift has been a bit critical of HSGG on stream, saying he's a bit of an absentee manager who promises more than he delivers. Perhaps a prologue to an exit, who knows.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 10, 2015

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
So Madlife made some slick thresh plays vs IM in Game1

Also CJ picked Malz in gm2!

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 10, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Also CJ picked Malz in gm2!

The best part of this game is listening to Monte just bitch about the Malz pick the whole time.

Mashed Potato
Aug 29, 2008
Hahaha, that final team fight in game 2 was hilarious. Nunu just walking into the enemy team and then walking out again, with no exchange of damage whatsoever. Just saying hi to everyone before the fight in a few seconds time.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Disinterested posted:

Generally I think the criticisms are on point. If CLG wants to be good it needs to get real and stop pretending the same approach that it has used for years unsuccessfully will one day come good. That doesn't just mean booting talent that is below their aspiration level, but fixing the entire CLG culture that seems to break every lineup they have.

It's not like they haven't tried to switch things up. Doublelift is largely playing utility AD (with loads of farm), plus they got a top laner who's meant to have carry potential. They got a real(ish?) coach. Their team atmosphere is reportedly much, much healthier. CLG used to be comparatively strong at team fighting, remember? A lot has changed, whether you look at S3 or S4.

But I get what you're saying: there's some systemic dysfunction that is making CLG this one step forward, two steps back kind of team. They can and will gently caress up consistently in spots where they have no business doing so. Just kicking Link or Xmithie isn't going to magically change everything, if anything.That said, having a strong initiator in mid and/or jungle sounds like it might serve them well at this point of their twice-a-year meltdown phase.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 10, 2015

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Anyone watching LPL? Clearlove is killing it on Sejuani, it's like one 4-5 man sej ult after another after another.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Ihki posted:

It's not like they haven't tried to switch things up. Doublelift is largely playing utility AD (with loads of farm), plus they got a top laner who's meant to have carry potential. They got a real(ish?) coach. Their team atmosphere is reportedly much, much healthier. CLG used to be comparatively strong at team fighting, remember? A lot has changed, whether you look at S3 or S4.

But I get what you're saying: there's some systemic dysfunction that is making CLG this one step forward, two steps back kind of team. They can and will gently caress up consistently in spots where they have no business doing so. Just kicking Link or Xmithie isn't going to magically change everything, if anything.That said, having a strong initiator in mid and/or jungle sounds like it might serve them well at this point of their twice-a-year meltdown phase.

It's not what I'm saying, it's what Thorin said. His argument is that, given CLG have now failed in very similar ways across multiple lineups, you definitely have to make the argument that there is systemic failure. Particularly considering CLG seems to find ways to make good players worse, and how choking has been a consistent issue.

His argument about Dlift isn't so much 'dlift is poo poo' so much as: Dlift has been a constant across the history of CLG for a long time now, while everything else has changed. So he takes responsibility in that sense. Plus, one of two things has to be true - if Dlift is the main carry guy of CLG and everything is being put on him to carry, and he's failed, or he's not the main carry guy and CLG should be looking to play a more multi-threat playstyle. And if it's the latter, and Dlift can carry, he should be demanding the responsibility and resources to carry.

I think for Thorin it boils down to the fact that Dlift is the only person on the team who actively tries to take responsibility and straight up carry the game, but he's just not good enough to do it anymore.

My own argument: re coach etc. is that it's a step in the right direction but scarra's coaching record so far is bad. Also, the talent they have brought in and the addition of a coach, in the modern LCS game, is not a differentiating factor between LCS teams. They haven't signed any stars, and everyone has a coach.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Sexpansion posted:

Anyone watching LPL? Clearlove is killing it on Sejuani, it's like one 4-5 man sej ult after another after another.

Meiko managed to land a 4 man bubble to set that bot lane one up. Honestly one of the best bubbles I've ever seen in competitive (although it took a suicidal deft to set it up...).

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Mata's build right now:

lol

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
So, uh, that support Kennen.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
so EDG wastes sej ult and Kennen gets a perfect engage and yet EDG still aces VG.

Yeah I think Vlad needs some time to scale up.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sexpansion posted:

so EDG wastes sej ult and Kennen gets a perfect engage and yet EDG still aces VG.

Yeah I think Vlad needs some time to scale up.

Gotta collect more blood MYSTERIOUS BLACK GOOP.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uju9ghdJ6tE Huni freaking out when he realizes he wins the rookie of the split award.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uju9ghdJ6tE Huni freaking out when he realizes he wins the rookie of the split award.
:3: Huni owns

On the subject of CLG's environment, I wouldn't be so sure that it's improved much.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The sudden realization that hits him is priceless.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I think the team environment has been observably a lot better but it sounds like the relationship with management is pisspoor.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I loved how they had to explain it three times before he actually figured it out... Then just the look of shock on his face.

I hope he goes to worlds.

Also, doublelift deleted his twitch stream where he was angry about Hotshot etc.

From reddit in the thread about Doublelift's stream

quote:

Link is like Padme. Does good all series, chokes at the end

Calax fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 10, 2015

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Disinterested posted:

I think the team environment has been observably a lot better but it sounds like the relationship with management is pisspoor.

Take that link with a grain of salt. I was watching that stream and they're cutting out a lot of Doublelift's tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Huni is the most lovable dude

• Locked thread