Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Only 'kid' games I remember are BC kid and Video Kid, but neither really fit unless there was some warrior level of video kid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

!Klams posted:

Only 'kid' games I remember are BC kid and Video Kid, but neither really fit unless there was some warrior level of video kid?

I don't mean to say the game definitely had kid in the name, because it doesn't come up if you search for it, but it was that kind of name.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Yo Joe? It's that style of game, but doesn't really match your description except for the gradient skies.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

No, but again, kind of similar. I will say that I don't think it had vertical scrolling outside of levels that were strictly vertical. Which makes me recall the second or third level which had you going up inside a giant hollow tree.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't mean to say the game definitely had kid in the name, because it doesn't come up if you search for it, but it was that kind of name.

Oh wait, you saying this just reminded me of another one, kid gloves (and kid gloves 2) that do actually fit your description? (Although probably not since you said it doesn't come up on a search.... Oops)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

!Klams posted:

Oh wait, you saying this just reminded me of another one, kid gloves (and kid gloves 2) that do actually fit your description? (Although probably not since you said it doesn't come up on a search.... Oops)

Nah, Kid Gloves was a single-screen platformer and Kid Gloves 2 was a weird Monster World clone.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Hakkesshu posted:

No, it's neither, although stylistically the graphics are similar to Ruff n Tumble. A lot sparser, though. I also remember it having that characteristic Amiga gradient sky palette.

It's not The Misadventures of Flink?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Keru posted:

It's not The Misadventures of Flink?

Nah that's way later model, much more advanced than the thing I'm looking for. It's closer in look to Yo! Joe.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ach, gently caress, I found it. Dojo Dan. I got a few facts wrong but it was listed as a beat 'em up on Lemonamiga which is why I couldn't find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVVW7dGK8ZA

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Hakkesshu posted:

Nah that's way later model, much more advanced than the thing I'm looking for. It's closer in look to Yo! Joe.

Man, I miss your Shadow of the Beast avatar. Took me way too long to realise who I was helping out. You probably know more about this than I do anyway. :haw:

Edit: loving case-in-point above.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

This's been bugging me for a while.

In my early teens I played a PC shareware platformer with a blonde(?) kid who got granted anti-grav boots that let him jump high by some aliens so he could save his kidnapped girlfriend/a princess. I remember it having 16-bit-ish graphics.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Stink Terios posted:

This's been bugging me for a while.

In my early teens I played a PC shareware platformer with a blonde(?) kid who got granted anti-grav boots that let him jump high by some aliens so he could save his kidnapped girlfriend/a princess. I remember it having 16-bit-ish graphics.

Well, first off: What year were you a teen? If we can narrow it down to a year, it's going to help out substantially.

The most famous shareware platformers on PC is probably the Commander Keen stuff, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Keru posted:

Man, I miss your Shadow of the Beast avatar. Took me way too long to realise who I was helping out. You probably know more about this than I do anyway. :haw:

Edit: loving case-in-point above.

Man that was a while ago, I never expected anyone would remember that avatar. Thanks, that makes me happy :unsmith:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Keru posted:

Well, first off: What year were you a teen? If we can narrow it down to a year, it's going to help out substantially.

The most famous shareware platformers on PC is probably the Commander Keen stuff, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Early to mid 00's, it was definitely not commander keen though.

e: I distinctly remember having to collect letters forming a word, and being attacked by bees. Maybe some bugs crawling in the ground. The level were huge, green and colorful, with a ton of collectibles and secret passages.

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 8, 2015

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Stink Terios posted:

Early to mid 00's, it was definitely not commander keen though.

Cool, that gets us somewhere. Was it on DOS or in Windows? DOS would be unlikely in the 00's, but you never know.

Edit: what kind of perspective was it? Top-down, sideview etc.

Edit x2: I really wish Mobygames had a 'Shareware' grouping for their games, or this is going to be a while.

Keru fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 8, 2015

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Keru posted:

Cool, that gets us somewhere. Was it on DOS or in Windows? DOS would be unlikely in the 00's, but you never know.

Edit: what kind of perspective was it? Top-down, sideview etc.

Edit x2: I really wish Mobygames had a 'Shareware' grouping for their games, or this is going to be a while.

Sidescroller, Windows ME/9x. Probably came in one of those PC magazines CDs. IIRC, I could only play 1-1 and 1-2 and then the game went to a splash screen telling me to buy the game and then closed itself/booted back to the title screen.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Stink Terios posted:

Probably came in one of those PC magazines CDs.

That's what I was afraid of, it's probably going to be near impossible to find unless you remember the PC Magazine and roughly what year/month it was. Those things came with all kinds of shovelware that sometimes never even saw release.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Keru posted:

sometimes never even saw release.

At this point this is probably the case. I just hope that by a stroke of luck another goon has played it. :v

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Stink Terios posted:

At this point this is probably the case. I just hope that by a stroke of luck another goon has played it. :v

I think your best shot is to browse https://archive.org/details/computermagazines whenever you've got the spare time and see if anything jogs your memory.

Don't worry, it will probably come to you at some point. It took me about 18 years to figure out what a game I played on an Amiga 1000 once when I was 8 back in the 80's was.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Keru posted:

I think your best shot is to browse https://archive.org/details/computermagazines whenever you've got the spare time and see if anything jogs your memory.

Don't worry, it will probably come to you at some point. It took me about 18 years to figure out what a game I played on an Amiga 1000 once when I was 8 back in the 80's was.

Sadly that doesn't help, it was a brazilian magazine not on the archive (Revista do CD-ROM). It might also just been given to me on an unlabeled floppy by my uncle, along DX Ball which is a breakout clone that rules.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Hakkesshu posted:

Ach, gently caress, I found it. Dojo Dan. I got a few facts wrong but it was listed as a beat 'em up on Lemonamiga which is why I couldn't find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVVW7dGK8ZA

I'm not ragging on you specifically, but I love how bad memory is. "Red shirt and red bandana" my rear end! :v:
I've been trying to track down an arcade vertical SHMUP with a time reversal gimmick for years now but I think my memory is broken.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Need help remembering a game from my early childhood. Probably NES, platformer where you play as a Conan-looking dude. The only gameplay I remember is going through a beige-colored forest and entering in doors in the trees and getting keys Mario 2-style. The doorways were shaped like gothic arches.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Kulkasha posted:

Need help remembering a game from my early childhood. Probably NES, platformer where you play as a Conan-looking dude. The only gameplay I remember is going through a beige-colored forest and entering in doors in the trees and getting keys Mario 2-style. The doorways were shaped like gothic arches.

Wizards and Warriors? (or Wizards and Warriors 2: Iron Sword)

Admittedly, you're a non-descript twit in armor rather than a conan looking dude, but the beige forests and gothic arch doors check out. Also, the cover of the second game had Fabio on it.

Edit for bitchin' Rare music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGWiNiLAy94

moller fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 10, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There was a game in a magazine about NES games: looked like contra, I thought it was about a contra sequel, but the final boss it talked about was a "metal skeleton twice your height that can kill you in a single punch" and I don't think any contra games had that.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

moller posted:

Wizards and Warriors? (or Wizards and Warriors 2: Iron Sword)

Admittedly, you're a non-descript twit in armor rather than a conan looking dude, but the beige forests and gothic arch doors check out. Also, the cover of the second game had Fabio on it.

Edit for bitchin' Rare music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGWiNiLAy94

Holy poo poo, spot on! Thanks!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Acne Rain posted:

There was a game in a magazine about NES games: looked like contra, I thought it was about a contra sequel, but the final boss it talked about was a "metal skeleton twice your height that can kill you in a single punch" and I don't think any contra games had that.

Journey to Silius' final boss is a giant robot skeleton a la the terminator and all it does is punch you.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
yes it's that one, thank you

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

This was the first video game I ever owned (I was like 8), and god drat, Wizards & Warriors music is so great/nostalgic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLsxMiHiKog

and the Fire Caverns music reminds me of Marble Madness a little bit.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 10, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Need help remembering this one. Old arcade game, was a 2-seater airplane battle game. It was polygonal like Tekken or Jumping Flash and had a cartoony theme to it. Each player would take turns attacking and dodging. I had tons of fun playing it but can't for the life of me remember the name.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

DaveKap posted:

Need help remembering this one. Old arcade game, was a 2-seater airplane battle game. It was polygonal like Tekken or Jumping Flash and had a cartoony theme to it. Each player would take turns attacking and dodging. I had tons of fun playing it but can't for the life of me remember the name.

drat, you just stirred a long lost memory. I played it too and I think it was Wing War?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFcAe1OLQtQ

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Wamdoodle posted:

drat, you just stirred a long lost memory. I played it too and I think it was Wing War?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFcAe1OLQtQ
Too awesome. Thank you very much!

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Wing War looks amazing. I suppose it had a spiritual sequel in the AM2 developed Propeller Arena for the dreamcast.

Which was never released.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I have a twofer today!

This was way back, for I think windows 95 or 98, maybe even 3.1 or DOS. It was a Pacman game, with fake 3D and an isometric viewpoint. Everything was still a grid like the original pacman, but I think it started off in the traditional arcade setting and then moved on to different worlds, I specifically remember one being in a town and you had to get a key to open up the next part of the map. The levels were pretty big, and you couldn't see all of them with the camera focusing on you. I think you could jump?

The other was around the same time, for windows again- I think it was some sort of strategy game set in the persian gulf during desert storm. There was a large map screen with territories and such, but I was too young to really care about that bit. The part that sticks in my mind was when you went to a side viewpoint, and it turned into something like missile command, except with patriot missiles having to block incoming scuds. The patriot missile battery was on the left, and the scuds came from the right.

Edit: I was able to find the second one! It was Sand Storm.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 28, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pacmania and thanks for putting that music in my head again!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Actually, I found the other one too- and it turns out I had confused two different pac-man(ish) games together.

I remember the jumping and isometric viewpoint from Pacmania, which I must have palyed at some point, but I was mostly thinking of CD-Man

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Looking for a wild west themed adventure game that I want to say was on the PSX in Japan and maybe PC also. It's NOT Silverload or The Town with No Name. It had fairly blocky 3D graphics when this type of game would usually have 2D stuff. Like almost Virtua Fighter 1 style blocky.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Looking for a wild west themed adventure game that I want to say was on the PSX in Japan and maybe PC also. It's NOT Silverload or The Town with No Name. It had fairly blocky 3D graphics when this type of game would usually have 2D stuff. Like almost Virtua Fighter 1 style blocky.

Rising Zan?

It was an action game but maybe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
No sorry it was a more adventure-ish kind of game like Silverload and Town with No Name.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A very long shot, but what the hell.

My only memory is that there was a level called <SOMETHING> heart, dark heart.

That's it.

Yeah. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

No Gravitas posted:

A very long shot, but what the hell.

My only memory is that there was a level called <SOMETHING> heart, dark heart.

That's it.

Yeah. :(
According to Google, the final stage of Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara was called "Inner Heart, Dark Heart".