Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Jesus Christ, Howard had me convinced that this was worth watching. I have very little time for TV, and I was looking forward to downloading the whole first season at some point. Oh well.

EDIT:
I don't normally take TV/Movie recommendations from Howard, I'm just a big fan of Batman in all it's incarnations.

You'll be happy to know that there is exactly zero Batman in Gotham, then, so you're not missing anything. It's basically Smallville levels of "hey, you know this character from the comic? Well here they are as a 13 year old!" Here's the Joker as a ginger teenage shithead:

It also has the Riddler as a CSI guy who is always talking in riddles (GET IT!?!?!), and the Penguin and Catwoman both as little kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

TheJoker138 posted:

You'll be happy to know that there is exactly zero Batman in Gotham, then, so you're not missing anything. It's basically Smallville levels of "hey, you know this character from the comic? Well here they are as a 13 year old!" Here's the Joker as a ginger teenage shithead:

It also has the Riddler as a CSI guy who is always talking in riddles (GET IT!?!?!), and the Penguin and Catwoman both as little kids.

Yeah the Penguin looks like a greasier version of that creepy kid from "Wedding Crashers" that wanted to bone Vince Vaughn.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
They call everyone by their real name except Ivy for some reason. Her name in the books is Pamela Isley.

Anyway, the entire show is people chewing on scenery and I'm ashamed that I watched 7 episodes before giving.

Anytime you think you want to watch something because Howard said so, remember that he loved Spiderman 3 and thinks Game Of Thrones is confusing.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Gotham is Good.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Robin has the worst taste in movies, or "cinema" as she calls it. It's all over the place. She'll briefly mention she likes Wes Anderson movies, but then gush over every schlocky horror movie that gets released. I think she once said her favorite movie was The Last Action Hero for which Fred and Howard never let her live it down.

Thankfully, she usually can't help spoiling the movies she recommends so there's no point in seeing them :v:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

a cop posted:

Gotham is Good.

A biased opinion.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Burden posted:

Holy poo poo that was fantastic. Haven't laughed that hard in a long time. His eyes really do pop out of his head when he takes a swig of Pepsi. God I miss the little guy so much. My favorite wack packer.

I have a framed picture of ETM on my desk at home and I look at it every day and laugh. No joke. It makes me smile every time.

I've thought about taking it to my office and saying it is my cousin or something.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Bonzo posted:

They call everyone by their real name except Ivy for some reason. Her name in the books is Pamela Isley.

Anyway, the entire show is people chewing on scenery and I'm ashamed that I watched 7 episodes before giving.

Anytime you think you want to watch something because Howard said so, remember that he loved Spiderman 3 and thinks Game Of Thrones is confusing.

In all fairness GoT is tremendously confusing and takes at least half a season if not more to really latch onto people, houses, families, banners, nicknames, locations, power structure, history, etc.

They readily mix all of those together to describe people and things and you can go from Imp to Lannister to Lion to Tywin's son depending on who's talking about Tyrion so I can understand if people are turned off by GoT because it requires your full attention. It's definitely not a show you can just toss on in the background and absorb as you go.

That's not defending Howard's taste in media, though, which is pretty narrow and lovely.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Ribsauce posted:

I have a framed picture of ETM on my desk at home and I look at it every day and laugh. No joke. It makes me smile every time.

I've thought about taking it to my office and saying it is my cousin or something.

I envy you.
I JUST re-listened to the clip today where they discussed the size of the signed pics he sent out, and thought to myself, "Yup, would have bought one of those today if he was still here".
Got me thinking about what might be out there for sale still.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I wish it was a signed picture. It is his funeral handout his parents sent me for donating to the Shriners in his name.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

TheJoker138 posted:

A biased opinion.

Ain't all opinions?

What do you watch for a living, huh?

TheLakers
Dec 1, 2007

Please ask me about my mutilated genitals, and belief in faith healing.
Has Howard mentioned The Flash/Arrow ever?

Also, Robin's taste in movies is better than Howard's. I remember her and Artie telling Howard about Eastern Promises or Superbad or Before The Devil Knows You're Dead and he just brushed them off.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

"Best of 2015 So Far"? How may live shows have there been in 2015? Maybe 20?

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Sasquatch! posted:

"Best of 2015 So Far"? How may live shows have there been in 2015? Maybe 20?

According to Marks Friggin, 28.

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002

musclecoder posted:

According to Marks Friggin, 28.

That's less than 10 a month. AGT is just starting to ramp up and the summer vacations are about to start. I'll be surprised if he hits 40 live shows this year.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
No show last Wednesday and no show this entire week because Howard has to recover from his dumb AGT LA taping. If this is the last year of the show, it's going to be a terrible way to go.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Is there any doubt at this point that he is sticking to the bare minimum requirements of his contract while he waits for it to run out?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Was the High Pitch segment last week any good at least? That guy has always made me laugh.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Okay, real tough ETM question for you all:

Eric 'wrote' two songs for Kendra. The one everyone heard and remembered was the godawful rendition of "Wild Thing" where he basically changed none of the lyrics. The other was mentioned super briefly twice and never heard on air or recorded in any way. What was it called?

NO GOOGLIN'

Edit: Wow this was so little noticed it isn't even on marksfriggin rundown on the day it was said. I am an ETM jedi.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Dr.Caligari posted:

Is there any doubt at this point that he is sticking to the bare minimum requirements of his contract while he waits for it to run out?
Sure but you have to remember he has been saying for years and years he doesnt want to burn out into an stupid worthless old kipper on air like imus and wants an easier life. Its annoying for us as fans sure but he seems to just be doing want he said he would do. The rare few new shows ive listened to are decent full shows, without the old magic, but ok, good on him I say.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Riosan posted:

Was the High Pitch segment last week any good at least? That guy has always made me laugh.

It was good even with the Donny Wahlberg and Jenny McCarthy shoehorn. John Lieberman's embedded show with him was also fun.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

GenoCanSing posted:

Okay, real tough ETM question for you all:

Eric 'wrote' two songs for Kendra. The one everyone heard and remembered was the godawful rendition of "Wild Thing" where he basically changed none of the lyrics. The other was mentioned super briefly twice and never heard on air or recorded in any way. What was it called?

NO GOOGLIN'

Edit: Wow this was so little noticed it isn't even on marksfriggin rundown on the day it was said. I am an ETM jedi.
I remember a rich/sal wild thing parody but nothing actually written by eric :confused: Did he actually wirite anything ever except dougie the puggie and his film scripts?

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

GenoCanSing posted:

The other was mentioned super briefly twice and never heard on air or recorded in any way. What was it called?

"Our Two Hearts Will Prove Them Wrong"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Riosan posted:

One of my favorite clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8a-0F2ktyU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Clarify something for me... Marksfriggin; he's some sort of sperg that transcribes each episode, word for word?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Clarify something for me... Marksfriggin; he's some sort of sperg that transcribes each episode, word for word?

Yes.

Edit: At one point, he was hired to do the same thing for the official show web site, but he quit because they were editing his write-ups.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, sperg beyond sperg.

It's not word for word, though, he actually does a drat good job of summarizing the show. Not an easy thing to do when most of the show is rambling conversations.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

ChaosMonkey posted:

"You guys being the THEM!"

His delivery of that always cracks me up.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

"You guys being the THEM!"

His delivery of that always cracks me up.

He was truly amazing and I cannot stress how much his wrinkled plum hands touched my heart.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

ChaosMonkey posted:

A fellow subscriber to Midget Fancy magazine. I salute you. That was a tough one.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

GenoCanSing posted:

A fellow subscriber to Midget Fancy magazine. I salute you. That was a tough one.

Super tough bonus question:

What was the name of the guy who was helping Eric write that song?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

ChaosMonkey posted:

He was truly amazing and I cannot stress how much his wrinkled plum hands touched my heart.
I've been listening to my ETM archive and it is making me so sad he is gone. That being said, it is just incredible how insane the guy was. I mean I was there during his calls, I know he was crazy, but when you listen back to the beginning it really is just incredible. His American Idol obsession is, I don't even know the word, crazy does not do it justice. Also, he called the show like 5 times total before his first angry voicemail full of demands. FIVE CALLS!!!

Sometimes I think it was all a work, but Brando in his prime could not act that good. No one could write this stuff. If I ever find out it was a work I'll probably have a mental breakdown. It would be like if I was 7 and I found out Santa was fake and so was pro wrestling on the same day...I just couldn't handle it

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Ribsauce posted:

Sometimes I think it was all a work, but Brando in his prime could not act that good. No one could write this stuff. If I ever find out it was a work I'll probably have a mental breakdown. It would be like if I was 7 and I found out Santa was fake and so was pro wrestling on the same day...I just couldn't handle it

Eric was super genuine in his own weird way, and I loved that about him. Plus he was great to gently caress with, so I really don't think he was a faker. The fake wrestling calls from Dick Buffman and Kelly Clarkson, and the werewolves in Albuquerque. Nobody would put up with that for 12 years.

"Take off your diaper and jab me with that shrinky dink."

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I think Eric was real up till a point, until Johnny Fratto got hold of him and started using Eric as a means of getting on the air.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Riosan posted:

Eric was super genuine in his own weird way, and I loved that about him. Plus he was great to gently caress with, so I really don't think he was a faker. The fake wrestling calls from Dick Buffman and Kelly Clarkson, and the werewolves in Albuquerque. Nobody would put up with that for 12 years.

"Take off your diaper and jab me with that shrinky dink."

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I think Eric was real up till a point, until Johnny Fratto got hold of him and started using Eric as a means of getting on the air.

There were some parts where Eric was really slow on the uptake, the Kelly Clarkson 'shrinky-dink' call being one of them. Eventually Eric seemed to get smart to the thing, but it took quite a while to get to that point. For someone so angry and vicious, he was incredibly stupid.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Super tough bonus question:

What was the name of the guy who was helping Eric write that song?

I think his name was Patrick or something like that.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

DeadBonesBrook posted:

The only funny bit Johnny Fratto was responsible for was the "You know what to do" thing. Remember the bit where Eric was like "I hate Christmas, now buy me a phone?" I think that was probably peak Fratto.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

There were some parts where Eric was really slow on the uptake, the Kelly Clarkson 'shrinky-dink' call being one of them. Eventually Eric seemed to get smart to the thing, but it took quite a while to get to that point. For someone so angry and vicious, he was incredibly stupid.

That was Carrie Underwood. :colbert:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Johnny Frato is comedy kryptonite.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
wild....thing......

you make my.....COCK....lovely.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I think his name was Patrick or something like that.

"I'm working on this with my...friend...Brandon...Giles...