Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I never finished it but it's fun. Probably more fun on a handheld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Some of the nopon are kind of hard to see in the environments actually; I like the big screen. I tried playing it on the wii u gamepad last night and was quite successful, but the small screen was very strange.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I recommend grabbing all the side quests as you see them but not necessarily doing them unless you run into their objectives. Not only does going back to do them later give you a break from plot and a little level grinding, it also lets you swap out your main party for others to grind a little affinity while you're at it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Sadly the plot is pretty bog standard JRPG for the last third of the game or so. As a WRPG fan you'll probably really enjoy how it mostly subverts your expectations for the genre for a while, only to be sorely disappointed by the ending. It's still really fun overall though.

The ending just wants to make sure you remember you're playing a Xeno game. :japan:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Day Three of my Xenoblade replay, clocking in at under 15 hours and I just got Riki. That's about half the time it took my first time through the game. I coulda probably gotten to him faster but I felt like filling in the map for each area as I went through them, and will be doing the same with Makna Forest now that I have a nearly full party. Also did all the Refugee sidequests, I think those are really the only timed quests that have a chance of actually expiring during a playthrough so I wanted to make sure they were done before continuing on.

I'm still kinda split on completely ignoring the sidequests or actually doing them for the loot and experience; fights are getting pretty hard, though I only really lose when I'm not paying attention and don't upgrade my gear and arts for a while, and I know it's not impossible to beat the game without doing sidequests, it's just getting much harder the further in I get, so I may give in eventually. Maybe after I get Seven, though that's still half a game away so possibly earlier than that.

I completely forgot just how stylin' the Nopon Chief is.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
This game owns

e; Man I had forgotten just how screwed over Melia gets in this game. Unrequited love, literally everyone in her family dies. I'd feel bad if she wasn't a videogame character but she is so its just hilariously sad

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 8, 2015

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I finally beat the game for the first time and it pretty much owns in every way possible.

If I have one legit complaint about anything, it's how incredibly stupid the AI is. Oh, the final boss is using his death beam that would kill anyone but a fully healed Reyn? Better stand in it! :downsgun:

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Time for this week's website update!

We've got a new page on Arts: http://xenobladex.jp/battle/battle08.html
-You can have 8 arts equipped at the same time, new arts are learned by increasing your class rank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8SbCB8ycqE

Initial Drifter arts posted:

-Assault Hammer: Hits the enemy with the stock of a gun, dealing physical damage and causing topple (Assault Rifle, acquired at rank 1)
-Fire Grenade: Shoots a grenade at the enemy causing heat damage and inflicting burn status. Bonus damage to toppled targets (Assault Rifle, rank 1)
-Chrome Armor: Decreases physical damage dealt to one ally (Knife, rank 2)

Initial Assault arts posted:

-Rising Blade: Deals weapon-type damage with 3 consecutive slashes. Deals extra damage if you're being targeted by the enemy (Longsword, rank 1)
-Protection Mode (Tension Art): Costs 1000 TP and creates an Aura that decreases the damage you take and regenerates your health, but also decreases your physical attack (Longsword, rank 2)
-Power Dive: Doubles the damage you deal with your next attack and allows you to automatically dodge all enemy attack's during the animation (Assault Rifle, rank 3)

Initial Command arts posted:

-Back Slash: Does a rising cut that deals weapon-type damage. Deals more damage when used from behind the enemy (Dual Swords, rank 1)
-Early Count (Tension Art): Uses 1000 TP to create an aura that increases evasion and critical rate and boosts any effects you already have that strengthen critical hits (Dual Guns, rank 1)
-Stream Edge (Tension Art): Hits 5 times in a row dealing weapon-type damage. Costs 1000 TP and deals extra damage if used in a combo after a ranged art (Dual Swords, rank 2)

Initial Forcer arts posted:

-Beam Blast: Shoots a thick laser that deals weapon-type damage. Deals more damage if you have an aura (Ray Gun, rank 1)
-Maintenance: Removes debuffs from and restores HP to an ally (Knife, rank 1)
-Splash Blast: Deals weapon-type damage and inflicts blind (Ray Gun, rank 5)

We've also got a page on Soul: http://xenobladex.jp/battle/battle09.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we1UabMgIgI
-Soul Voice: sometimes your allies will ask you to use certain art types in battle. If you do, you can recover HP, get bonus effects and increase your affinity with that character.
-Soul Challenge: When you fulfill certain conditions like "start battle with a melee attack" or "Health drops under 30%", you get a QTE. Succeeding has effects like "all allies recover HP" or "Soul Stage increases". If you hit the button with perfect timing, you get a tension bonus.
-You can customize the effects you get from soul challenge: for example, when you start the battle with a melee attack, you can choose either "double damage", "inflict break" or "each hit generates 200 TP"
-Soul Stage goes up by one every time you succeed in a Soul Challenge and gives effects like "Soul Voices appear more often" and "Perfect Soul Challenges generate more TP"

New illustration:

The illustration page also has individual images of each Doll: http://xenobladex.jp/gallery/gallery08.html

This week's Nopon gag thing has screenshots from the Continent of White Wood: http://xenobladex.jp/special/sp-welcome20150409.html

Also, don't forget the Doll and online stream tomorrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQMLQ_zdl3w

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Not sure how I feel about the Soul stuff. Customizing conditions and resultant effects could be interesting, but Soul Voice being "do what the game tells you to do to get bonuses" bugs me.

e: One of the Dolls is a bunny!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Motto posted:

Not sure how I feel about the Soul stuff. Customizing conditions and resultant effects could be interesting, but Soul Voice being "do what the game tells you to do to get bonuses" bugs me.

Seems to me like it's an encouragement to use the art overcharging mechanic, since if you just use every art as soon as it comes off cooldown then you're less likely to have the right type of art available to use when a soul voice prompt comes up.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Day Three of my Xenoblade replay, clocking in at under 15 hours and I just got Riki. That's about half the time it took my first time through the game. I coulda probably gotten to him faster but I felt like filling in the map for each area as I went through them, and will be doing the same with Makna Forest now that I have a nearly full party. Also did all the Refugee sidequests, I think those are really the only timed quests that have a chance of actually expiring during a playthrough so I wanted to make sure they were done before continuing on.

I'm still kinda split on completely ignoring the sidequests or actually doing them for the loot and experience; fights are getting pretty hard, though I only really lose when I'm not paying attention and don't upgrade my gear and arts for a while, and I know it's not impossible to beat the game without doing sidequests, it's just getting much harder the further in I get, so I may give in eventually. Maybe after I get Seven, though that's still half a game away so possibly earlier than that.

I completely forgot just how stylin' the Nopon Chief is.

Hah, you just made me check the timer on my save and i've hit 24 hours and have just got Melia in my party. I've done every side quest available so far too and haven't noticed it drag or be a bore once, even though this is my second playthrough.

I don't know whether it's the bug fix for damage or the extra experience from questing but it does feel easier so far. I remember by this point in my original playthrough that i had to grind a little to beat certain bosses, but Xord was a piece of cake.

Annoyingly i'm starting to hit the cross area quests and the wiki i was linked is getting a little mixed up in telling me which quests are available and when (i.e. it's saying there are some available when i get to Makna forest, but they're like the second or third stage of a quest chain that starts once i get into Nopon Village). I think i'm just going to plough through the Makna Forest section until I'm just about ready to transition into the Sea then go back and do everything the wiki says is available before it.

The plus side of doing all of this means that my area reps are pretty good so i should be able to get the extra skill trees and colony 6 reconstruction a little easier.

I'm trying to remember the gamebreaking party setup with Melia/Shulk/Dunban though. From what I recall, I put Melia as the lead and then topple lock the enemy or something right? And as far as gems go, Melia gets nothing but Thunder or whatever and Shulk/Dunban get Agility gems for reasons?

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 9, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

For those of you poor souls trying to be completionist about quests, this link may be of interest to you:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960564-xenoblade-chronicles/70621133

I've got it on my phone - not the single greatest UI ever, and not perfect for information, but it certainly gets the job done and it does a good job of tracking what's available when.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Thanks. I'll need this for the 3DS version that is up right now.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Extremely long soundtrack preview out. It is generic Sawano music through and through and engrishy as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOMmE6bsl_c

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah. It's pretty much what I expected of Sawano.

It's not terrible, I've just already heard it a billion times before.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Black Stones posted:

It's not terrible, I've just already heard it a billion times before.

That's more or less my complaint with the soundtrack so far, it's about 50-60% Sawano.mp3. The z__________ tracks are pretty good, though, and I'm guessing that those are the exploration songs. The majority of them were skipped over,but the track at about 8:20 is pretty nice and almost reminiscent of Engage the Enemy. Hopefully the soundtrack was just showing off what's supposed to be cool set piece music.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I've only heard Sawano on Kill la Kill, so i'm fresh on this style somewhat but i can feel the similarities already.

Giving it all a hearing and for me:
Tracks 1 and 2 are rad, 3 is kinda odd in its beats but cool sorta, 6 is okay epic music, 9 is still one of the big hooks the game had for me at the start, god I love that song, 12 is kill la kill's secret track, 13 is a genderbent version of that samurai dude's theme (though i'm digging it way more than the last track), 14 is ok, 2-1 is lol engrish but a bit coolish, 2-2 is Actually Good holy poo poo yeah, don't mind the engrish here it's cool stuff, 2-4 ...i like it, 2-5 is OK i'm cool with this background stuff, 2-5 is ok, 2-9 is fine music, 2-18 okayish, 3-1 awww yeah i love this track, 3-2 is Nice, 3-4 gently caress this is pretty groovy actually i dig, 3-5 is a fine song wait the bass and guitar bit is awesome, 3-8 is nice, 3-9, 3-11 and 3-12 are okay, feel like they'll work nicely with the scenes they'll be tied to, 3-14 maximum anime overdrive, not super bad or anything but kinda sticks out.

Overall i'm back on the music wagon for this game, lots of stuff I enjoy and some I don't mind at all to be playing while focusing on the gameplay. If battles are fast enough to mostly avoid the lyrics on the main battle theme then perfection.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Vil posted:

For those of you poor souls trying to be completionist about quests, this link may be of interest to you:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960564-xenoblade-chronicles/70621133

I've got it on my phone - not the single greatest UI ever, and not perfect for information, but it certainly gets the job done and it does a good job of tracking what's available when.

What's the name of the app, that guy's link doesn't work and i'm about to go away for the weekend without internet so it would be handy to have something like hat on my phone.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Kin posted:

What's the name of the app, that guy's link doesn't work and i'm about to go away for the weekend without internet so it would be handy to have something like hat on my phone.

It got pulled from the app store for whatever reason, so here's the Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xzpkfkgg82sgw15/AAD9XpgZd4QrmDSgu0-tIIZIa?dl=0

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

YggiDee posted:

It got pulled from the app store for whatever reason, so here's the Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xzpkfkgg82sgw15/AAD9XpgZd4QrmDSgu0-tIIZIa?dl=0

Cheers. Does it remember which quests you mark off as done or do you have to re-enter them every time?

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
The stream is about to start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQMLQ_zdl3w

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Great a convoy now I pooped my pants

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Ah, I see, the 'Put lots of poo poo on it' kind of mecha.

Also, I am so for that bomb flail.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Six cannon bot!

These weapons look ridiculous.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Bomb flail ah so

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Kin posted:

Cheers. Does it remember which quests you mark off as done or do you have to re-enter them every time?

I have no idea, I haven't really used it yet. It has a 'save/load' function, so presumably it has some way of tracking that stuff.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I almost thought it was gonna be all Mech fights and none on foot.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Mech has lost its arm alert. So battle damage beyond hp huh?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

You know, it doesn't really look like what I wanted out of a Xenoblade sequel but it definitely looks like a game I want to play.

EDIT: those faces are baaaaaad

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Levantine posted:

You know, it doesn't really look like what I wanted out of a Xenoblade sequel but it definitely looks like a game I want to play.

I'm getting a Phantasy Star Online vibe from it.

E: I hope to god this isn't an in-game cutscene

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Golden Goat posted:

I'm getting a Phantasy Star Online vibe from it.

E: I hope to god this isn't an in-game cutscene

Yes, it is channeling PSO way more than Xenoblade. And goddamn the should be ashamed of the character models. Everything else looks really solid but the people look stiff, almost like PS2 era models.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

smells like arena mode for actual coop a shame

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
PSO with Gears. Not too shabby. That part where they were fighting the GIANT lava dudes looked pretty baller.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

YggiDee posted:

I have no idea, I haven't really used it yet. It has a 'save/load' function, so presumably it has some way of tracking that stuff.

Forgot to edit my post but yeah, it looks like it tracks what you mark as complete.

It doesn't seem to have a feature of marking "have found, but not yet completed" though. That would also be handy so you don't have to cross reference more stuff. The quest instructions in it seem to be pretty detailed so far too and give the exact times down to the half hour of where an NPC will be which was always the biggest frustration.

It's cool that each NPC has a little "life" they live but it's frustrating to track that without a guide. The thing is, with the fast travel system, it doesn't really seem like it would irritate me or break my immersion of time were to change when you used t o fast travel, so i'm hoping that in the new game there's maybe an option in each quest that lets you just warp directly to the NPC (with time adjusting to the next available instance they show up).

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Extremely long soundtrack preview out. It is generic Sawano music through and through and engrishy as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOMmE6bsl_c

This poo poo loving sucks

Please rename thread to "So nah, so fern".

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm starting to think this game might turn out to not be so great.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

music and anime faces can't stop the gameplay. If that sucks though I have no idea.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
The website has posted about the different install packages to ease the loading times on the disc version:

Foundation Data (terrain, etc): 2 GB (large effect)
Enemy Data: 2.7 GB (medium effect)
Player Data: 3.6 GB (medium effect)
Doll Data: 1.7 GB (medium effect)

So round about 10 gigs all up.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think I must have really terrible taste in music because I really liked the music preview :saddowns:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think I must have really terrible taste in music because I really liked the music preview :saddowns:.

That's because it was very good.

• Locked thread