Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
if 35k is all you're pulling as a server you need a new gig bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Every time I have a lovely day at my gig I read this thread for a bit and feel so much better.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Liquid Communism posted:

Won't contest the fun, but I'm in my 30's with the usual blown up knees and industry health problems and $10 an hour just doesn't cut it anymore. $24 for sitting on my rear end dealing with tickets from India is better.

Yeah the money is better owning than working. Even when I do work it's at least enjoyable. Project planning and endless meetings sucked.

I do miss makig over 50 bucks an hour and vacations but at the same time I dont really work per se except the days I'm in the kitchen, which is 3 days a week at the most.

The rest is shopping, menu planning etc.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 10, 2015

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

A Man and his dog posted:

Hahahah after re reading this thread...

You are obviously a piece of poo poo who should listen to my SYSCO an US FOOD order driver

I AM MANGER.. Make all rules with my drugged out friends lol

Weren't you just posting about having a criminal record and doing drugs all day? Those who live in cardboard boxes shouldn't throw stones.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lol smoking weed. What a criminal...

Yeah my bad I'm not making 100k like all the other waiters. What a shame.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
This whole thing is pretty amusing as I'm sure every single one of us has worked with you in the past. The lovely server who's career has peaked and sits around on his phone all day long while everyone around him busts rear end to get poo poo done. You're the reason this thread exists.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Eh I've always respected "that guy" for his complete refusal to let the job bother him, or even give the slightest poo poo. If you're only making 35k and complaining on the internet about your job, you ain't even "that guy" though.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
Scott Bryan plays Candy Crush on the pass.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I have been fighting and fighting it but I believe I am surrendering. I guess the people can have a loving fried egg on god damned everything if they want. But I'm charging 2 dollars for 1 God damned egg because I hate you.

Ugh.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I have been fighting and fighting it but I believe I am surrendering. I guess the people can have a loving fried egg on god damned everything if they want. But I'm charging 2 dollars for 1 God damned egg because I hate you.

Ugh.

Make that money!

Out of curiosity, why are you so hesitant to offer it as an add-on to dishes? Good on you for making it $2/egg anyway.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

The Midniter posted:

Make that money!

Out of curiosity, why are you so hesitant to offer it as an add-on to dishes? Good on you for making it $2/egg anyway.

Personal preferences. I think it's loving dumb and gimmicky to add fried eggs and/or bacon to everything. But I'm finally throwing in the towel. If they want to give me money to ruin dishes that don't need fried eggs with fried eggs I'm not going to stop them.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Buck Fitty. It's still San Antonio. That said, get that AIRMAN MONEY!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Yeah, but offer guac on a burger for 2-3bux, and just make it a spread with mostly pico and lots of lime. You'll be thanking me when you're diving into a Scrooge McDuck pile of cash.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
gently caress you fried egg on burgers are delicious.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

bunnyofdoom posted:

With bacon too

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

bunnyofdoom posted:

I don't mind it on burgers, but I know jackasses are going to have me adding eggs to pork belly poutines, pizzas and french fries because gently caress it!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I don't mind it on burgers, but I know jackasses are going to have me adding eggs to pork belly poutines, pizzas and french fries because gently caress it!

Except for the poutine those do sound good.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Eggs on pizza is cool and good. You should diversify your pizza portfolio.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Not everything needs a loving fried egg.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Why are all the people who storm out on a friday night in the middle of the rush always culinary school grads?

e: "oh, you have to peel beets?"
3 year program. what the hell, man!

Simoom fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 11, 2015

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Eat the eggs, Gin Monks.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I will gladly do horrible, horrible things to food if it makes the customer happy. A fried egg isn't horrible.

On a completely unjustified self-pitying note, oh god why did I do nothing but sit on my rear end for four months while I was unemployed. I'm jumping right into 10 hour shifts and my feet are killing me. I gotta start taking proper breaks until my callouses reform.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

Willie Tomg posted:

'sup. I've hosed around pantry a ton, and done a few turns in pastry. Pantry is a piece of weak piss compared to a pastry work and detail load. Ask questions, learn the mise as you go, try to make at least medium-term plans until you learn enough to prep ahead and have long-term plans, and don't stop moving, you will be fine. You're being crosstrained means you're on track to be That Indispensable Dude, which is the larval form of the supervisor and manager.

Thanks for the advice! I did really well and I liked it a LOT. You're right, if you're organized and fast, pantry is in a lot of ways easier than pastry. I can make 4 salads in one bowl and their station has way less things than mine. Pastry has 7 regular desserts and 2 new specials every week, so every day I'm working with at least 25 different garnishes (that I have to keep in plastic containers on top of my working area because the pastry station is basically a table). Their station is nice and roomy.

I'm back in pantry tomorrow, but this time in working both stations at the same time. I'm not even nervous, I KNOW it's gonna be a disaster. Our chef is going to culinary festival and he's taking 4 of our cooks with him. On a Saturday night. When the hotel is at 100% capacity. Plus we have a new guy coming in. AND, my partner in pantry is a girl doesn't wanna do poo poo anymore, but instead of quitting she's been pretending she's sick and every time it gets busy and she wants to go home, she pretends to faint. In the last 3 months she's: lied about being pregnant. When it became obvious that she wasn't, then she told us she had cancer. Cancer patients get sicker, so when that didn't happen she flip flopped and now she has a heart condition. She's basically a psychopath who spends her time either on the phone or yelling at the runners when they ask her why it's taking her 20 minutes to make a caesar salad. I'm really hoping she calls in sick. Like, me having to run pastry, pantry 1, AND pantry 2 would be more effective than having her there.

Our sous chef will be there, but he's working pass. I don't even care. As soon as my shift is over I'm gonna get so shitfaced. I think that's the attitude that's gonna get me through this career. gently caress it. Gonna drink a whole bottle of wine in the dark. Sorry in advance, liver :(

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Republicans posted:

I will gladly do horrible, horrible things to food if it makes the customer happy. A fried egg isn't horrible.

Oh I know. It's why I'm just going to accept it and take their money. Like I said its just my personal preference to not do gimmicky fried egg stuff. I just need to understand an extra 100 bucks cash in eggs per week is not a bad thing since they are dirt cheap. I even bought loving tater tots to add to the menu. I'm quickly losing the upscale spin to my food and just making good bar food, which is selling a lot more than the original stuff.

The people want nachos, fried eggs and tater tots. who am i to stand in the way of them giving me their money? I will say my chicken and waffles with bourbon syrup is selling well and that is making me happy, even if I had to 86 the fried cornish game hens and give the people chicken strips since that's what they wanted.

It was way better with a cornish. Anything on the bone is better than off the bone.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I have a question, I am looking at my options for my bicycling tour, and I got a quick question:

Is it considered bad in the restaurant industry to work like 2 weeks at a job doing whatever they want you to do for the purpose of earning some extra cash?

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I have a question, I am looking at my options for my bicycling tour, and I got a quick question:

Is it considered bad in the restaurant industry to work like 2 weeks at a job doing whatever they want you to do for the purpose of earning some extra cash?

I was just going to post a page of "hahahaha" but-

Have you ever worked literally anywhere before? It costs more to have an employee for only two weeks than they can possibly be worth.

If you want something like that get in touch with temp agencies.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

brick cow posted:

I was just going to post a page of "hahahaha" but-

Have you ever worked literally anywhere before? It costs more to have an employee for only two weeks than they can possibly be worth.

If you want something like that get in touch with temp agencies.

I was just curious more than anything, and yeah I've been working at a greasy spoon for the last 6 months now. I wasn't saying I was definitely going to go to restaurants for that (I was already planning on temp agencies), I just wanted to hear an opinion on that.

Edit: I apologize if my question was insulting/dumb.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 11, 2015

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh I know. It's why I'm just going to accept it and take their money. Like I said its just my personal preference to not do gimmicky fried egg stuff. I just need to understand an extra 100 bucks cash in eggs per week is not a bad thing since they are dirt cheap. I even bought loving tater tots to add to the menu. I'm quickly losing the upscale spin to my food and just making good bar food, which is selling a lot more than the original stuff.

The people want nachos, fried eggs and tater tots. who am i to stand in the way of them giving me their money? I will say my chicken and waffles with bourbon syrup is selling well and that is making me happy, even if I had to 86 the fried cornish game hens and give the people chicken strips since that's what they wanted.

It was way better with a cornish. Anything on the bone is better than off the bone.

One of the sister restaurants of where I'm working is a pub where a big seller is "Irish Nachos" which are tater tots smothered in meat and cheese sauce. We have something similar but we use home fries instead.

Also I agree meat on the bone is far superior... unless you're drinking. Then the bones become a nuisance at best and a choking hazard at worst. My only beef with the nuggets we sell is we perpetuate the lie of the boneless wing. There's nothing wrong with calling them nuggets!

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I've been ordering burgers with fried eggs on for ages, because it's delicious

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Entertainment is doing your thing while fighting a head cold that's teasing the border of bronchitis, being a half dose of medicine away from intoxication, and wathcing everyone else scramble to prepare and put on a show for the #2 company man's tour of the premises.

I feel like there's something wrong with me now for never having had or even considered fried egg on a burger. Or maybe something right, I don't know. I do get the confusion re: guest preferences. Our menu is based on juicy, tender beef and pork that have been slow smoked for over half a day and people go "Nah, I just want chicken tenders and fries." But hey, in the end if it makes the guest happy and puts money in my pocket, it's good enough for me.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Beetroot is nicer if you don't peel it.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

Filboid Studge posted:

Beetroot is nicer if you don't peel it.

they are done carpaccio and not roasted. roasted with skin on is something i could really go for right now. its freezing out.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Hibiscus on the other hand... Everything needs hibiscus. :)

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Goddamn I missed waiting patio shifts.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Wroughtirony posted:

Hibiscus on the other hand... Everything needs hibiscus. :)

Well when you make a bunch of tea every day you have to do something with it!

Although hibiscus is off the menu now, tater tots are in!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Although hibiscus is off the menu now, tater tots are in!

:911:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Is it possible to keep a real cheese sauce at temp without it turning into poo poo after a couple hours, or is that strictly the domain of industrial grade nacho cheese? I was thinking of bringing a crock pot into work and trying that because our steam table is just too drat hot for it even on the lowest setting.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Republicans posted:

Is it possible to keep a real cheese sauce at temp without it turning into poo poo after a couple hours, or is that strictly the domain of industrial grade nacho cheese? I was thinking of bringing a crock pot into work and trying that because our steam table is just too drat hot for it even on the lowest setting.

Maybe xanthan gum and a splash of cream.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Yeah you can make the cheese sauce from modernist cuisine. that poo poo is bulletproof.

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/melty-queso-dip/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah you can make the cheese sauce from modernist cuisine. that poo poo is bulletproof.

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/melty-queso-dip/

That looks promising, ordered myself some sodium citrate to try it out. The sauce we use now uses powdered alfredo sauce mix as the thickener/emulsifier but at best the result is more of a mornay than the ooey-gooey kind of cheese sauce you want over fried potatoes. It also discolors very quickly, but I owe that to the harsh heat of the steam table so I also ordered a cute little 1.5qt slow cooker and I'll see how that works.

• Locked thread