Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I thought it was a hairpiece this whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Voyager I posted:

Okay, but really, how the gently caress does Rand's campaign team keep letting him go outside with that haircut?

What that hair what the gently caress else are you going to do with it, that poo poo's like dry macaroni glued to his skull (which is a toy telephone) so the alternative is going full Lex Luthor.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

site posted:

Is it normal for attack ads to start this early. I mean, I get that the Republican party is eating itself and all, but these had to have been ready to go before Rand ever announced and it's so goddamn early in the season it just seems absurd to launch them.

Any Republicans who have ties to the military or its contractors would probably rather Hillary win the election than Rand

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

site posted:

Is it normal for attack ads to start this early. I mean, I get that the Republican party is eating itself and all, but these had to have been ready to go before Rand ever announced and it's so goddamn early in the season it just seems absurd to launch them.

I wonder if mega pro-Israel hawk sugar daddies like Sheldon Adelson have a special interest in making sure the Rand candidacy is smothered in the crib (although he seems to be doing a drat good job all by himself).

If Rand got traction, and won the nomination, Hillary or any Democrat would be free to move towards the left on defense/Israel and the Adelson/neocon viewpoint wouldn't be represented by either party, or at least not nearly to the degree they'd want.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

TARDISman posted:

Y'know, I just watched W. on Netflix and I swear, they could cast Josh Brolin for Rick Perry just as easily.

Thanks for this post. I didn't know W. was on Netflix. Watching it now and man did they do a good job with casting.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

sullat posted:

Wasn't Citizens United the result of Hillary suing to stop a similar type of attak ad?

Also, wasn't the original name of the organization Citizens United Not Timid or am I mixing up a real political organization with an unbelievably petulant one?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Neeksy posted:

Hillary has a time limit to legally declare, I think, since she has already rented office space in Brooklyn for the express purpose of HQing her campaign. IIRC the 14-day time period would run out beginning of next week??

Technically, but it's not like she's slapping together an announcement this weekend because someone just figured that out. She didn't need to sign that lease that day.

Hillary is declaring now so she can't balance the number of "is she declaring too soon" navel gazing process pieces with the "did she declare to early" navel gazing process pieces.

She's been running for years, and as a full time job for at least the last 6 months.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Zwabu posted:

I wonder if mega pro-Israel hawk sugar daddies like Sheldon Adelson have a special interest in making sure the Rand candidacy is smothered in the crib (although he seems to be doing a drat good job all by himself).

If Rand got traction, and won the nomination, Hillary or any Democrat would be free to move towards the left on defense/Israel and the Adelson/neocon viewpoint wouldn't be represented by either party, or at least not nearly to the degree they'd want.

As if any Republican nominee wouldn't take on all the same bullshit Republican positions, regardless of how they present themselves in the campaign. Rand Paul can say what he likes, if he actually got the nomination he'd enact the same Neocon foreign policy agenda as any of the rest of them and probably hire the same people to do it.

Besides, Hillary isn't really looking for an opening to take Israel to task the way Obama has been. If the Republican nominee appeared "weak" on that issue she'd swoop in and try to capture the hawks for the Democrats.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Zwabu posted:

Mid-east hawkishness is integral to the GoP platform at this point. They need xenophobia to mobilize their voters, and this requires violent foreign entanglements.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Speaking of, CNN has a great article about the foreign policy and military platforms and experience of likely 2016 Republican candidates.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/09/politics/republicans-foreign-policy-hawks-election-2016/index.html

I forgot that Rick Perry was an Air Force captain. Him and Lindsay Graham are the only veterans in the running, and Lindsay was an Air Force Lawyer, the most privileged white guy military position possible.

Expect lots of National Guard deployment citations from governors.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Bloody hell how is the process just to pick who is going to contest the presidential election so convoluted :psyboom:

e: and so long!

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

simmyb posted:

Bloody hell how is the process just to pick who is going to contest the presidential election so convoluted :psyboom:

e: and so long!

greetings

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
it didn't used to be this way, but it was arguably worse. i like to think that presidential primaries were the progenitor of reality tv. digest that however you want.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Hillary or any Democrat would be free to move towards the left
lol

If you want Hillary to move left on an issue, your easiest move is probably to personally convince 70%-80% of all Americans to 'Agree' or 'Strongly Agree' on polls regarding the issue for the next several years, and then wait a few more years until her position "evolves".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary's announcement is going to come on Sunday, will be a pre-recorded video, no rally. She'll then head to Iowa and New Hampshire for some more "personal" town hall events.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
sweet looks like the number crunchers figured the divan youtube announcement in 2007 paid off

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
wow just watched that for the first time since it came out and :whitewater:

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Joementum posted:

Hillary's announcement is going to come on Sunday, will be a pre-recorded video, no rally. She'll then head to Iowa and New Hampshire for some more "personal" town hall events.

WaPo article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/04/10/hillary-clinton-to-announce-plans-to-run-for-president-on-sunday/

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It's happening.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Will there be a follow up surprise announcement of the sun's plans to rise again tomorrow morning?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
coffee syrup ushered forth the existence of narragansett autocrat coffee milk stout so haters to the left

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
So who else got in on this when the market was still split?

https://www.predictit.org/Home/SingleOption?contractId=673#sthash.XaCpfAPV.myACUg71.dpbs

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

In the not-unlikely scenario where Hillary wins, it's always going to be a little funny that Obama was just an eight-year delay. Like, there's some not-too-alternate universe where Hillary squeaked the nomination in '08 and they just did their presidencies in reverse order. I guess we haven't seen what a Hillary presidency will really mean yet but I'm not sure how much would even be different.

I guess as a question about Presidential politics in general, what sort of post-presidential career might we see out of Obama? He's still pretty young in politician terms, even if his eight years have aged him for twice that number. Is there precedent for ex-presidents returning to the Senate or taking on some other career?

He has a law background, it'd be funny if he went the Taft route and got appointed to the Supreme Court.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Dolash posted:

I guess as a question about Presidential politics in general, what sort of post-presidential career might we see out of Obama? He's still pretty young in politician terms, even if his eight years have aged him for twice that number. Is there precedent for ex-presidents returning to the Senate or taking on some other career?

only john quincy Adams has ever returned to the legislature after his presidency, iirc.

though I hear illinois will need a strong democratic gubernatorial candidate in 2018 :getin:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dolash posted:

He bought the house from Magnum P.I. in Hawaii recently and yesterday said he's going to "do a lot of island hopping" after he leaves office when asked if he'd visit the Turks & Caicos, so look for an extended vacation for a few years, probably followed by some foundation work.

As far as running for office again, the precedent there is... not good. John Quincy Adams was elected to the House and served there until his death. He died in what is now the women's bathroom for House members in the Capitol. Andrew Johnson won a Senate seat in 1874 after being impeached in 1867. And John Tyler won a seat in the Confederate House of Representatives in 1861.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Someone remind me, who's the FEC form 2 filer that listed their running mate as God? I forgot to bookmark it last time it came up. :/

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ben Carson with a piping hot take in WaPo today.

quote:

Selfies
Ben Carson

The first known selfie was taken in 1839 by Robert Cornelius — an American pioneer in photography — when he produced a daguerreotype of himself. It's all been downhill from there. Selfies have already survived several waves of criticism, but 2014 saw the invention of the selfie stick, a monopod to which a photographer can attach a smartphone or a camera to provide deeper range for the photograph. The selfie stick ushers in a new, even worse and more dangerous era for the form. The stick doesn't just validate selfies by building a cottage industry around them. It also says, "Snap them everywhere!"

Please stop.

The old-fashioned selfie was bad enough. In New York's zoos, circuses and carnivals, taking selfies with tigers or other big cats is actually illegal. Turning your back to a large carnivore, apparently, is not a great idea. I've also seen individuals take selfies while crossing city streets or driving — talk about reckless.

In recognition of this absurd innovation, though, some organizations have gone further. The stick has been banned from the Australian Open, Emirates Stadium (home of Britain's Arsenal Football Club), the Smithsonian's Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden and the Museum of Modern Art. Music festivals such as Coachella and Lollapalooza have also forbidden the stick.

That's because, beyond the obvious narcissism of endlessly photographing oneself and blasting it over social networks for others to admire, selfies are dangerous — to animals, sports spectators, artwork and the rest of us. Last August, a Polish couple fell to their deaths off a cliff in Portugal, reportedly while trying to snap a selfie. And after a plane crash killed two people in Colorado last year, investigators blamed a pilot selfie session in the cockpit of the Cessna 150K.

When it comes to visiting national landmarks, distinguished museums or city streets, it's just not necessary. Focus your camera on your surroundings, not on yourself! Even Robert Cornelius would still believe you were there.

Ben Carson is emeritus professor of neurosurgery, oncology, plastic surgery and pediatrics at Johns Hopkins University, president and chief executive of American Business Collaborative, and a conservative activist.

Good millennial outreach.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Boxman posted:

Someone remind me, who's the FEC form 2 filer that listed their running mate as God? I forgot to bookmark it last time it came up. :/

Andre Ventura

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Never change, Drudge. :allears:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

I went to http://www.cafepress.com/draftbiden2016 and I'm really disappointed they don't have a beer koozie. My 2012 "Cheers Champ" Biden koozie is the best.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Joementum posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo he's not even trying anymore. Once again The Onion proves to be more than prescient.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

Ben Carson with a piping hot take in WaPo today.

Good millennial outreach.

Which millennium? If you lower your tech standards the first selfie was a pool of water and a stick and the ground.

RIP Narcissus.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Joementum posted:

I wonder if sexism or ageism will be more prominent in attacks on Hillary. Already I've seen jokes around sating:

Obama:golf::Hillary:Knitting

I guess they'll keep them together. Potent combo.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 10, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There'll definitely be some combo granny-slams, although Hillary seems to put a lot of effort into not projecting a "little old lady" vibe (impressive at 67). The GOP put up with a bit of ageist rhetoric what with McCain's run but sexism will be the fresh new thing to spice up right wing hysteria after eight years of racism. I wonder if sexism will be even more damaging, since it directly offends an even larger pool of voters - not that racism doesn't offend everyone, just that there are plenty of apolitical or right-wing women who will sit up and take notice if a campaign is directly dismissive of them.

Just in general terms it'll be interesting to see what the potential for being the first female President will do to the demographic makeup of Hillary's supporters.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

PupsOfWar posted:

only john quincy Adams has ever returned to the legislature after his presidency, iirc.

though I hear illinois will need a strong democratic gubernatorial candidate in 2018 :getin:

Wanna see MIGF have a coronary when Obama beats Rauner for reelection, no lie. And he'll only be what? 57 when 2018 rolls around? The vast majority of Presidents got INTO office at that age.

Of course, that would pale in comparison to having someone like Ginsburg retire...and Hillary appointing Obama to replace her.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 10, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Menopause jokes, that'll turn the tables on her.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Menopause jokes, that'll turn the tables on her.

They're banking on a single instance of FEMALE RAGE to completely turn the electorate off her.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Alter Ego posted:

Of course, that would pale in comparison to having someone like Ginsburg retire...and Hillary appointing Obama to replace her.

Confirmation hearing to end all confirmation hearings. They should propose Obama just as a goof so we can see it go down.

I'm reminded in the early 00's that Bill Clinton suggested maybe the two term limit for Presidents meant just two consecutive terms. That's not how it works, but it'd be pretty hilarious if in 2024 Hillary handed the Presidency back to Obama.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://wonkette.com/582295/you-wont-be-laughing-when-god-makes-koran-burning-preacherman-president-muslims

You may have thought that Vermin Supreme was a ridiculous candidate, but that was yesterday.

quote:

Koran-burning anti-Obama pastor Terry Jones is to run for the US presidency as a fringe candidate for the second time. Jones, who heads the group Stand Up America Now, was a self-declared independent in the 2012 election and is also listed as a candidate for 2016. The Politico website has him down as a fringe “front-runner” for the campaign’s most controversial candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Guess what site is still around and still has active users?

http://www.hillaryis44.org/

They appear very excited for the upcoming election.

And in case you're wondering, yes, they are still using Freep-style nicknames for Obama:

quote:

Obola’s “You can keep your doctor” Iran Deal.

How can anybody believe this is anything but a sell out.

The whole thing is just like the Putin Chess thing:

Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin is reportedly quoted as having said off the record that, “Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a chicken. The chicken knocks over all the chess pieces, shits on the board, and then struts around as if he won the match.”

• Locked thread