Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
what's everyone's favorite new tab extension? I'm trying FVD Speed Dial but it's a bit tacky visually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

TheQat posted:

what's everyone's favorite new tab extension? I'm trying FVD Speed Dial but it's a bit tacky visually.
I recently moved to the default speed dial from FVD. It is a bit confusing to configure, but it does everything I need.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Alright I fixed some more pressing issues with my computer but I still have issues with Firefox. The issue is that Firefox doesn't save cookies/auto-login. I am confident the issue came from two things I did.

1) Copied my Firefox profile folder from my old windows install because I am lazy
2) After that removing an old cookie manager program I used several years ago but forgot I had installed.

I'm guessing my issue comes from some setting or file from that cookie manager program that wasn't set back to normal after removing the add-on. I have double checked that my Firefox settings say that cookies are to be kept until they expire and I also followed the instructions on this page and went a step further by deleting cookies.sqlite.bak and cookies.sqlite.bak-rebuild

Any ideas for fixing this or am I better off backing up my bookmarks, making a note of addons installed, and reinstalling Firefox completely?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

TheQat posted:

I use Speed Dial (also available in the addon store) which is fairly basic but does what I need it to while being configurable. There's a flashy fork of this on the addon store called Speed Dial Plus or something.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm still hopelessly addicted to Tree Style Tab

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

dis astranagant posted:

I'm still hopelessly addicted to Tree Style Tab

Yeah, same. Although it's been acting a little bit wonky for me the last few firefox upgrades.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

the yeti posted:

Yeah, same. Although it's been acting a little bit wonky for me the last few firefox upgrades.

AMO has been super slow about reviewing extensions so you just about have to run beta channel and get your updates straight from the developers.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just updated to 37.0.1 and now when I select text on a page and drag it to the search bar it no longer automatically searches for me. I have to click the little magnifying glass icon like some sort of caveman.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

Just updated to 37.0.1 and now when I select text on a page and drag it to the search bar it no longer automatically searches for me. I have to click the little magnifying glass icon like some sort of caveman.

Are you aware you can right click on a text selection and choose "Search <active search engine> for <text selection>"?

(I don't have an answer to your actual question.)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have any tips on how to use tree style tabs? One issue I can't figure out on my own is getting threads from the SA user cp to open up as child tabs (middle click last read thread button -> new tab), not as independant ones.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Xinlum posted:

Alright I fixed some more pressing issues with my computer but I still have issues with Firefox. The issue is that Firefox doesn't save cookies/auto-login. I am confident the issue came from two things I did.

1) Copied my Firefox profile folder from my old windows install because I am lazy
2) After that removing an old cookie manager program I used several years ago but forgot I had installed.

I'm guessing my issue comes from some setting or file from that cookie manager program that wasn't set back to normal after removing the add-on. I have double checked that my Firefox settings say that cookies are to be kept until they expire and I also followed the instructions on this page and went a step further by deleting cookies.sqlite.bak and cookies.sqlite.bak-rebuild

Any ideas for fixing this or am I better off backing up my bookmarks, making a note of addons installed, and reinstalling Firefox completely?
No need to reinstall Firefox, just make a backup/note of your bookmarks and add-ons like you said and try a new profile. Rename your old profile to whatever.old or something and let Firefox create a new one. It sounds like the cookie manager screwed up your profile somehow, and it's going to be way easier to just set up a new one than try to fix the old one.

Met48
Mar 15, 2009

saucepanman posted:

Does anyone have any tips on how to use tree style tabs? One issue I can't figure out on my own is getting threads from the SA user cp to open up as child tabs (middle click last read thread button -> new tab), not as independant ones.

This is a bug. There's an updated version of Tree Style Tab which fixes it, but it's not yet reviewed by AMO. You can install that or get by with right click -> open link in new tab for now.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Met48 posted:

This is a bug. There's an updated version of Tree Style Tab which fixes it, but it's not yet reviewed by AMO. You can install that or get by with right click -> open link in new tab for now.

Thank you good sir, this fixed it :tipshat:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
What's a good add-on to hide tabs and location bar? I want to free up screen estate and control FF via keysnail.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

midnightclimax posted:

What's a good add-on to hide tabs and location bar? I want to free up screen estate and control FF via keysnail.
F11 is not enough?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

MikusR posted:

F11 is not enough?

Nah I'd like to get rid of it in non-fullscreen.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

midnightclimax posted:

Australis slimmer hides the location bar but I don't think it has an option to hide tabs :(

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gorilla Salad posted:

Answering myself here because I had absolutely no luck in fixing it, but I found an extension that works even better - Drag & Drop Zones

You can configure all your search engines into "zones" which overlay on your screen and appear when you select and drag text. Then you simply drop the text into the search engine zone you want to use.

Even works for images.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any reason why this particular YouTube video is playing horribly for me? Firefox 37.0.1, Windows 8.1 Pro, video drivers are as up-to-date as GeForce Experience thinks they should be, using the HTML5 player (although for some reason YT had reverted me to the default, and Flash was using >90% of my CPU before I "fixed" YT).

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Just a hunch but do you use the add-on Text Link?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

hooah posted:

Is there any reason why this particular YouTube video is playing horribly for me? Firefox 37.0.1, Windows 8.1 Pro, video drivers are as up-to-date as GeForce Experience thinks they should be, using the HTML5 player (although for some reason YT had reverted me to the default, and Flash was using >90% of my CPU before I "fixed" YT).
That's a 4K resolution video, what CPU and videocard do you have, and what resolution are you trying to watch it at? I get no dropped frames at 1440p on a Core i7 4790K with a GTX 680 using the 347.52 drivers, but I am also on Firefox 38 Beta. It DOES keep rebuffering at 4K downscaled to 1440p (I only have a 1440p monitor).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It's being choppy at 480p. I have an i5 2500k and a GTX 460. It played just fine on Chrome, if that means anything.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Im_Special posted:

Just a hunch but do you use the add-on Text Link?

I have one called Linkification that's similar, but I just turned if off and restarted Firefox and drag n drop to the search bar still doesn't automatically search for me.

Oh well, I like this new extension anyway.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

hooah posted:

It's being choppy at 480p. I have an i5 2500k and a GTX 460. It played just fine on Chrome, if that means anything.

Most videos that i try playing on firefox with my nvidia are comedy bad, its only fine when it uses flash. chrome runs those html5 videos fine though

edit: it plays fine disabling webm for youtube ( 60 fps videos also go bad on youtube with webm and firefox ) go to about :config and change media.mediasource.webm.enabled to false, this will disable webm just on youtube, that will make it change to mp4/h264(assuming that works for you)

Celexi fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 10, 2015

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I switch to Chrome for watching Youtube. I don't do it that often, but hi-def stuff just "feels" smoother.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
37 fixed all or almost all of my youtube woes. I haven't noticed the long video problems I had before (though before it was a coin flip with 15 minute videos and I've yet to watch anything longer since updating). 1080p60 seems to work without any issues and 4K video seems to as well although it demands all of my bandwidth and gains me nothing.

Had to install an extension to get it to stop defaulting to 480p though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Celexi posted:

Most videos that i try playing on firefox with my nvidia are comedy bad, its only fine when it uses flash. chrome runs those html5 videos fine though

edit: it plays fine disabling webm for youtube ( 60 fps videos also go bad on youtube with webm and firefox ) go to about :config and change media.mediasource.webm.enabled to false, this will disable webm just on youtube, that will make it change to mp4/h264(assuming that works for you)

That did it, thanks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I use pentadactyl and it hides location bar automatically and has an option to hide tab bar too, so there are ways to do it.

fake edit after a quick google search: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/hide-tabbar/

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Truga posted:

I use pentadactyl and it hides location bar automatically and has an option to hide tab bar too, so there are ways to do it.

fake edit after a quick google search: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/hide-tabbar/

yeah I installed that + a hide scrollbar addon. I'm more or less happy with the way it looks now.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
37 seems to have broken All-In-One Gestures. Last update was a couple years ago nearly, so I'm not holding my breath. Recommendations for a replacement? Apart from the gestures, I use the right-button "rocker" navigation to switch through tabs. But that's not a deal breaker.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

37 seems to have broken All-In-One Gestures. Last update was a couple years ago nearly, so I'm not holding my breath. Recommendations for a replacement? Apart from the gestures, I use the right-button "rocker" navigation to switch through tabs. But that's not a deal breaker.

I only use a couple of gestures, but FireGestures works for me.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

FireGestures work well on 37.0.1. Last update was 10 months ago.

I don't know what "rocker" navigation is, but it has this option in the settings, which I don't use:

e: additionally, it has this really nice search gesture:
- select a text on a web page;
- make an RD gesture;
- a list of installed search engines pops up, select one to search.

(this is meant for the guy who was asking a few posts earlier why drag-and-drop doesn't perform an automatic search)

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 10, 2015

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Thanks, guys. It looks like FireGestures might be a fork of AiO or something, because the settings and the layout for the settings are near identical. And unless I'm losing it, it seemed to pull in my custom gestures from my AiO install.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Desuwa posted:

Had to install an extension to get it to stop defaulting to 480p though.

Ooh, what extension is this?

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

ringu0 posted:

I don't know what "rocker" navigation is, but it has this option in the settings, which I don't use:

Rocker gestures are just hitting one mouse button then the next one quickly in succession, so quickly hitting the right mouse button then lifting off and immediately hitting left mouse button.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Prologue to this deeply fascinating story I'm going to share with you:

I had an MP3 in need of cutting. So I fired up MP3cutter plus for the first time in a while, and it promptly informed me that's it's missing a file. I decided to redownload the program without a single google search beforehand, because I'm smart like that. I installed it and of course (of course) like all perfectly harmless programs you've installed years ago and decided to reinstall now, it came bundled with a bunch of bullshit that automatically changed my home page, search provider etc. A bit of googling, some time in programs and features, and that appears to be solved, except... (dun dun dun)

Actual problem: Both the firefox and google chrome tabs are... gone. In their place is (was) the install page for "mysearchbullshityoudeleted". However, they haven't actually closed - my downloads are uninterrupted - and the "restore closed tabs" buttons don't have anything. It's as though all the tabs and pages I had open are just... in some ether they were banished into while installing random spyware-ish bullshit.

I usually have like dozens and dozens of tabs open, and trying to recover them by hand would be really really annoying. I'm thinking of restarting my computer, but if that is the wrong thing to do, and I'll come back to "you had tabs open? We don't recall any tabs"... that would be a downer ending to a downer day. Anything else I should try beforehand?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 12, 2015

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The tabs are likely dead, sadly. The program probably force closed the browsers and relaunched them with a preselected address. This has a unfortunate side effect of killing any tabs from a previous session, as mybullshitspyware is saved over the old tab list.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Not that this addresses your browser problem, but in the future if you need to cut up an MP3:

Audacity Audio Editor
LAME for Audacity

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xander77 posted:

Prologue to this deeply fascinating story I'm going to share with you:

I had an MP3 in need of cutting. So I fired up MP3cutter plus for the first time in a while, and it promptly informed me that's it's missing a file. I decided to redownload the program without a single google search beforehand, because I'm smart like that. I installed it and of course (of course) like all perfectly harmless programs you've installed years ago and decided to reinstall now, it came bundled with a bunch of bullshit that automatically changed my home page, search provider etc. A bit of googling, some time in programs and features, and that appears to be solved, except... (dun dun dun)

Actual problem: Both the firefox and google chrome tabs are... gone. In their place is (was) the install page for "mysearchbullshityoudeleted". However, they haven't actually closed - my downloads are uninterrupted - and the "restore closed tabs" buttons don't have anything. It's as though all the tabs and pages I had open are just... in some ether they were banished into while installing random spyware-ish bullshit.

I usually have like dozens and dozens of tabs open, and trying to recover them by hand would be really really annoying. I'm thinking of restarting my computer, but if that is the wrong thing to do, and I'll come back to "you had tabs open? We don't recall any tabs"... that would be a downer ending to a downer day. Anything else I should try beforehand?

In the future, the Session Manager extension for Firefox automatically keeps records of like 20 previous tab sets, with the option to make sure a backup of your current tabs every like 8 hours instead of the default every time you exit firefox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Read posted:

Not that this addresses your browser problem, but in the future if you need to cut up an MP3:

Audacity Audio Editor
LAME for Audacity
I have those, actually. It's just that MP3cutter was literally the perfect program for a borderline technically illiterate person like myself:

Look at that. "You want to cut an MP3 from point to point in the most intuitive and simple way possible? We can do that for you". Such a beautiful program, ruined.

Nintendo Kid posted:

In the future, the Session Manager extension for Firefox automatically keeps records of like 20 previous tab sets, with the option to make sure a backup of your current tabs every like 8 hours instead of the default every time you exit firefox.
I have that, actually, It was disabled by the mybullshitupdate thing. :shrug: