Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Do yourself a favor, if you're coming into town for bar hopping, hit up Taco Boy on Plainfield first and get some tacos or a super wet burrito. Always, always get a side of refried beans with it. The food is not authentic. It is delicious and very cheap. You will not be disappointed.

Wrote it down. Thanks dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Koskun posted:

For being a college town, it is remarkably dry.
Hope Christian College.

I lived in Holland for a summer but I couldn't handle it. Weird place. But I live in Saginaw so that doesn't say much.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

gently caress WEBSPHERE IN THE rear end

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bob Morales posted:

Hope Christian College.

I lived in Holland for a summer but I couldn't handle it. Weird place. But I live in Saginaw so that doesn't say much.

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress WEBSPHERE IN THE rear end

This is kind of a strange progression and maybe you've had enough to drink.

Ryzic
Feb 28, 2009

No, actually. I would hate to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!
Grimey Drawer
New Holland Brewing has Dragon's Milk, so you've got that to look forward to. Zeeland on the other hand (which is like 3 minutes east of Holland) is recently no longer dry. And you can buy beer on Sunday now!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So I perform a shared drive consolidation and migration. My boss was responsible for its current state of multiple shares on multiple devices with no/limited backups. It spanned 2 virtual machines, a usb hard drive, and a really small nas. We have a nice shiny new QNAP with more than enough capacity so I put this project in motion over the course of 3 weeks. We are talking under 3 tera of data with limited permissions, 3 weeks is a snails pace.

Queue Monday, the weekend after the migration, my boss is freaking out 10 minutes after he comes in.

:ohdear: Sickening, why didn't you tell me you were migrating those shared drives, now all the SQL exports aren't going to the right spot.
:science: We have had 2 meetings about this and I have sent no fewer than 6 emails about this over hte passed 3 weeks to everyone in the company. Did you forget?
:ohdear: I didn't forget, we need to communicate better. We need to be TCP not UDP.
:science: What would you have wanted me to do instead of what I did?
:ohdear: Just more communication. This is very bad. Its going to take me all day to fix these exports.
:science: I get that you are stressed out about missing this, but there is just nothing else I believe I could have done. That is why we have meetings and send emails. I don't know what you mean by more communication.

So far the past year here has been pretty great. This is the first time he has made me question his competency. In the past two weeks he has also eluded to me that he wants me to check every computer manually after creating a group policy object.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Sirotan posted:

Taco Boy on Plainfield... You will not be disappointed.

When is the last time you had Taco Boy? Chances are he will be disappointed and maybe also get food poisoning. They have really gone downhill the last couple years.

They opened one up on 44th street in Wyoming a couple years ago and it sucked so bad they renamed it to Donks (not sure why or what that is) but it was still the same crap and less than 6 months it was shut down.

The one on Plainfield isn't any better. The GR area has a LOT of actual authentic Mexican places now that are cheap and very very good.

One near downtown Donkey Taqueria was named 3rd best taco in Michigan,and best in GR, by Mlive guys that do the Michigan best series.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Trastion posted:

When is the last time you had Taco Boy? Chances are he will be disappointed and maybe also get food poisoning. They have really gone downhill the last couple years.

They opened one up on 44th street in Wyoming a couple years ago and it sucked so bad they renamed it to Donks (not sure why or what that is) but it was still the same crap and less than 6 months it was shut down.

The one on Plainfield isn't any better. The GR area has a LOT of actual authentic Mexican places now that are cheap and very very good.

One near downtown Donkey Taqueria was named 3rd best taco in Michigan,and best in GR, by Mlive guys that do the Michigan best series.

About three weeks ago. Donks was a (stupid) re-branding of all of their restaurants that the cousin of the original owned, and they all failed. The original is the one on Plainfield, and I've been going there since I was an infant. Like I said, it is not authentic, at all. It's a hole in the wall. It's probably my favorite restaurant on the planet. If you don't like Taco Boy then I'm sorry, I'm going to have to sever right now, because I don't think we could ever be friends.

Edit: I could probably talk about Taco Boy all day but no one outside of GR gives a poo poo, so here you go, some on topic material:

I've been here almost 5 years and in that time alone I think we've gone through at least 10 HR people. More of them have been bad than good, the current director is pretty computer illiterate but means well. Or so I thought. This morning he brought a candidate for our helpdesk position down to my boss' office for an interview. My boss brought him into the IT room (my office), closed and locked the door, and we began talking with them. Not two minutes later, the HR director interrupts the interview with the candidate that HE JUST DELIVERED so that he can ask us a critical* printer question. :wtc:

*He was freaking out thinking he printed a salary report to one of the building's printers, but didn't know which one. Turns out he had selected the PDF printer, and just made a PDF of it. .........

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 9, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

:ohdear: I didn't forget, we need to communicate better. We need to be TCP not UDP.

Did he actually use this line?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Volmarias posted:

This is kind of a strange progression and maybe you've had enough to drink.

Websphere does that to you.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

If somebody said that to me I would take it as literally as possible.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

His first language is korean and he sometimes says things that are a little off. He has been using this analogy for a while.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sickening posted:

His first language is korean and he sometimes says things that are a little off. He has been using this analogy for a while.

Start being TCP. Confirm every sentence, and gradually expand the amount of info you give him at once until he can't handle it and reset to nothing.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Wait until I show you my three-way handshake. :quagmire:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Sickening posted:

So I perform a shared drive consolidation and migration. My boss was responsible for its current state of multiple shares on multiple devices with no/limited backups. It spanned 2 virtual machines, a usb hard drive, and a really small nas. We have a nice shiny new QNAP with more than enough capacity so I put this project in motion over the course of 3 weeks. We are talking under 3 tera of data with limited permissions, 3 weeks is a snails pace.

Queue Monday, the weekend after the migration, my boss is freaking out 10 minutes after he comes in.

:ohdear: Sickening, why didn't you tell me you were migrating those shared drives, now all the SQL exports aren't going to the right spot.
:science: We have had 2 meetings about this and I have sent no fewer than 6 emails about this over hte passed 3 weeks to everyone in the company. Did you forget?
:science: What would you have wanted me to do instead of what I did?
:science: So you're saying that we need to use TCP instead of UDP.
:ohdear: Just more communication. This is very bad. Its going to take me all day to fix these exports.
:science: I get that you are stressed out about missing this, but there is just nothing else I believe I could have done. That is why we have meetings and send emails. I don't know what you mean by more communication.
:science: All day, you say.

So far the past year here has been pretty great. This is the first time he has made me question his competency. In the past two weeks he has also eluded to me that he wants me to check every computer manually after creating a group policy object.

FTFY.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

About three weeks ago. Donks was a (stupid) re-branding of all of their restaurants that the cousin of the original owned, and they all failed.

This is the only kind of donks I want to know about

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
There are a lot of Michigan goons in here! :cheers:

I really hope the Michigan job goes through (so far so good!) but ultimately it's up to the investors at this point. Worst case scenario is that I keep my job in SD and come back in June with my family and still have a stable job.
Best case scenario I move to a Michigan with my family in June, have a stable job, and it's one I love.

Either way the family is taken care of and that's what is import to me first and foremost. :unsmith:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 9, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

poo poo pissing me off right now? ADWS.

Really it's my own fault, but our client went through a re-org and I picked up the project to move all objects in AD around and do a bunch of GPO changes etc etc. Well the functional level of our QA environment WAS 2003, but right as I started this project our architect installed 2 2012 DCs in QA and bumped the functional level to 2012. I wrote a powershell script to move the AD objects around automatically and it worked fine in QA. Come today when I go to run the script and, wtf why am I getting an error about being unable to find a domain controller with ADWS, oh, gently caress, no 2008 R2 or above DCs in production. Ok, so I can't use PS to do this, talk to a guy that does/did a lot of VB scripting and apparently VB doesn't handle it all that well.

there are 4400+ objects in AD that need moved :suicide:

back to the drawering board

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Last week, I was complaining about MDT 2012 because of the way it was failing. Someone kindly suggested upgrading to MDT 2013. Turns out we are actually on 2013—for some reason I was under the impression we were still on the old version.

Anyway, turns out MDT was working just fine. The culprit? Symantec loving Endpoint Protection. The guy I asked for help took one look at the task sequence and said "What's SEP doing in the middle of the task sequence? That fucker needs to be dead last." Because of our weird set up at work, we have to carefully juggle the installation of certain items and the timing of reboots, and with a major change earlier this year, SEP had found itself about halfway up, in front of all the tasks that were spontaneously failing.

I shoved it right to the very end, made a note for the techs that they would now have to do one manual reboot before shipping the PC, and tried deploying 20 machines. Not only did all of them work fine, but they even complained less often about not being able to find the network shares!

I hate SEP. But I love MDT again :3:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Weatherman posted:

Last week, I was complaining about MDT 2012 because of the way it was failing. Someone kindly suggested upgrading to MDT 2013. Turns out we are actually on 2013—for some reason I was under the impression we were still on the old version.

Anyway, turns out MDT was working just fine. The culprit? Symantec loving Endpoint Protection. The guy I asked for help took one look at the task sequence and said "What's SEP doing in the middle of the task sequence? That fucker needs to be dead last." Because of our weird set up at work, we have to carefully juggle the installation of certain items and the timing of reboots, and with a major change earlier this year, SEP had found itself about halfway up, in front of all the tasks that were spontaneously failing.

I shoved it right to the very end, made a note for the techs that they would now have to do one manual reboot before shipping the PC, and tried deploying 20 machines. Not only did all of them work fine, but they even complained less often about not being able to find the network shares!

I hate SEP. But I love MDT again :3:

Yeah when you posted originally I found it weird, because of all the MS products MDT is up there in the "not really any problems with it and what it does is fantastic" category. Good to hear it was in fact SEP, which I'm always glad for me I can replace with Douglas Adams' acronym (someone else's problem) because if I had to deal with that poo poo my scotch intake would increase drastically, which would be quite a feat. And I'd probably be dead.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

My supervisor is pissing me off. He doesn't do anything. He has "computer issues" every day and has to reinstall things. He plays on his phone all day. He doesn't ship anything. He doesn't answer the phone. He makes up dumb excuses for his boss to explain why things didn't get done. The help desk and inventory rooms are basically trash heaps. He comes in late, leaves early and takes at least an hour and a half lunch every day. I don't know what it takes to get fired, maybe he is getting warnings and I don't know about them. But goddamn it's annoying.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
DHCP (or lack thereof)

We support over 4000 devices. Static IP assignments for all of them!

Need to move one to your office to troubleshoot? Hope you switched the subnet right, or else you're wasting 10 minutes booting it up while it tries and fails to contact the domain controller because it's on a different subnet.

Can't use DHCP because "it's too unreliable." What if the DHCP server goes down? Then nobody can connect and we might have to have people reboot their computers.

Never mind the fact that we're running out of IP addresses in a bunch of subnets because everything is statically assigned and nobody updates the list when a system/IP is retired, so there's lots of IP assignments in the list that most likely don't exist anymore.

edit: the best part is we have a DHCP server (with like 5-10 available addresses in each subnet). If a device sits on a DHCP lease more than a week or two the network admins make us hunt it down and set a static IP for it.

Maniaman fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 10, 2015

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Maniaman posted:

DHCP (or lack thereof)

Need to move one to your office to troubleshoot? Hope you switched the subnet right, or else you're wasting 10 minutes booting it up while it tries and fails to contact the domain controller because it's on a different subnet.

Can't use DHCP because "it's too unreliable." What if the DHCP server goes down? Then nobody can connect and we might have to have people reboot their computers.

Never mind the fact that we're running out of IP addresses in a bunch of subnets because everything is statically assigned and nobody updates the list when a system/IP is retired, so there's lots of IP assignments in the list that most likely don't exist anymore.

What the hell kind of nightmare is this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Maniaman posted:

DHCP (or lack thereof)

edit: the best part is we have a DHCP server (with like 5-10 available addresses in each subnet). If a device sits on a DHCP lease more than a week or two the network admins make us hunt it down and set a static IP for it.

:stonk:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Maniaman posted:

DHCP (or lack thereof)

This beats out speculum bucket laptop for most horrifying things I've seen in this thread.

Sorta by a lot actually.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

myron cope posted:

My supervisor is pissing me off. He doesn't do anything. He has "computer issues" every day and has to reinstall things. He plays on his phone all day. He doesn't ship anything. He doesn't answer the phone. He makes up dumb excuses for his boss to explain why things didn't get done. The help desk and inventory rooms are basically trash heaps. He comes in late, leaves early and takes at least an hour and a half lunch every day. I don't know what it takes to get fired, maybe he is getting warnings and I don't know about them. But goddamn it's annoying.

I have a coworker like this too. The lead is away, so he's been extra lazy. Even when he's here, it's still pretty bad. Treats the datacenter like a phone booth to talk to his fuckbuddies. Has closed 3 tickets in the last 7 days.

People are getting pissed. The lead is too chickenshit to put his foot down with him. I have a feeling if I were to just blow everything off, I would not be treated so charitably.

Thing is, the client may absorb us should they be purchased. The last thing you want to do is get a bad reputation, especially when you don't really learn all that much and didn't come in with enough IT knowledge to swap out of a power supply.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Maniaman posted:

DHCP (or lack thereof)

socialsecurity posted:

What the hell kind of nightmare is this.

I came here straight from the Bloodborne thread and this reads like part of the lore for that game.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Maniaman posted:

DHCP (or lack thereof)

I had something dumb to share today, but this, this is pure insanity.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 10, 2015

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I can't tell if Maniaman wins the thread or loses horribly.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Depends on how soon he gets out of there.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Nothing quite prepares you for the horrors of stripping back "outdoor" cable (for installation to the back of a patch panel. Why they ran outdoor cable indoors is beyond me). Gross gross gross. Practically wading in grease!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Amazon web services

We receive a random unsubscribe email out of the blue for one of the services last week. I put in a support ticket, and it takes a week to get a reply. Support guy says we are still subscribed and everything should be working normally (it is not)

So he attaches a service report to the case, of course it's not attached to the email, you have to log in to the site to look at case attachments. Also the case update email states that you can't reply to the email, you have to go to the case on the site to give a response.

What do I see when I go to look at my case?

Lovely. :tizzy:

Griffon
May 14, 2003

Maniaman posted:

Can't use DHCP because "it's too unreliable." What if the DHCP server goes down?

What the gently caress kinda clown admins you got there? I can think of 3 solutions off the top of my head.

mewse
May 2, 2006

If the DHCP server goes down it's not like all the client machines suddenly abandon their leases and cease communicating

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

mewse posted:

If the DHCP server goes down it's not like all the client machines suddenly abandon their leases and cease communicating

I have had more problems from too many DHCP servers being on the network rather than not having one.

And poo poo pissing me off. It's survey time, except the focus was on employee engagement and culture. There were some agree/disagree type questions, but a lot of writing. I was tempted to write something about wanting a culture where people aren't just suddenly gone, either fired or leave without warning, and wanting a place where they weren't rearranging schedules to try to cover for the lack of people, but really my goal is to stay employed until I can find another job, so I just played buzzword bingo and babbled about a culture of empowerment creating shareholder value.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Maniaman posted:

DHCP (or lack thereof)

I usually don't advocate suicide for these kinds of situations but,

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Thing's pissing me off today: SysAdmin's misunderstanding RAID.

I have another ticket open from someone who has a RAID 1 - one is offline, and the other has it's SMART predictive fail status tripped. "Oh, we'll be fine. We can just rebuild if we replace one at a time."...
If your first drive is bad, and your second one is going bad... Hate to break it to you but no, your data's not safe.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've had to educate way too many people who should know better that RAID is not a substitute for backups. :(

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Sirotan posted:

About three weeks ago. Donks was a (stupid) re-branding of all of their restaurants that the cousin of the original owned, and they all failed. The original is the one on Plainfield, and I've been going there since I was an infant. Like I said, it is not authentic, at all. It's a hole in the wall. It's probably my favorite restaurant on the planet. If you don't like Taco Boy then I'm sorry, I'm going to have to sever right now, because I don't think we could ever be friends.

We had similar here in Ealing. Place called Chico Mexico. About as authentically Mexican as Starbucks.

But it did a sit down lunch for £6 all in and it made me happy.

Closed some time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Griffon posted:

What the gently caress kinda clown admins you got there? I can think of 3 solutions off the top of my head.

mewse posted:

Yeah, if the DHCP server goes down and you somehow can't spin up a temporary replacement within 8 hours or whatever your lease time is, DHCP isn't the problem.