Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Did anyone see how the Strength from the Fallen match ended? I missed the last game.

Owen got destroyed Game 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I get the fight though, it was a long game and he seemed firmly in the driver's seat at the point he made the mistake. It's got to be frustrating, and I hope he can make it back from this.

Deofuta fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 10, 2015

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Did anyone see how the Strength from the Fallen match ended? I missed the last game.

Owen lost, amazing rogue jank won.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

It won. Madden (?) was able to Duress an End Hostilities from Owen's hand the turn before it would have wiped his board, then he swung for lethal the next turn. Another sweet deck that I want to build now!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I also get Chapin's opponent's position. Chapin claims he knew about Read the Bones and Abzan Charm from Coursers, but Chapin's cast multiple RtB and Abzan Charms throughout the game. There's a good chance the ones his opponent knew about have already been cast earlier.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Chapin: loving stop, dude! God, this is horrible to watch.

SphericalDan
Sep 30, 2006
I claim this booty in the name of France :D
Chapin, just accept the loss. It's not worth it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I mean he has to try but jeez they don't have to show it.

That's gotta be tilting though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Am I the only one that thinks "the sleeves touched when I set it down to put the other three back" means "that was added to your hand" is insanely petty/rules-laywery? :shrug:

Also holy poo poo the commentary team sounds really against Chapin.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Cedric Phillips going off on Twitter right now about how they shouldn't be showing any of this and should have cut away a long time ago. I'm inclined to agree.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Skillface posted:

Cedric Phillips going off on Twitter right now about how they shouldn't be showing any of this and should have cut away a long time ago. I'm inclined to agree.

Yeah, that's been my thoughts on this. I paused the stream and just went to make a sandwich.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh, a known pro caught cheating? I'm v surprised.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
c'mon it's only the second longest/second most important judge appeal chapin's ever done

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The Magic Twitch stream is showing some deck tech, where are you seeing PChap? :smith:

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Am I the only one that thinks "the sleeves touched when I set it down to put the other three back" means "that was added to your hand" is insanely petty/rules-laywery? :shrug:

It seems a reasonable standard to apply to prevent sleight-of-hand shenanigans

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh, a known pro caught cheating? I'm v surprised.

It wasn't cheating, he just hosed up. That fuckup resulted in a loss, and he was trying to appeal it. He didn't put the card in his hand, shuffle it, and then try to start arguing this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kyrosiris posted:

They are against him because its clear that he is at fault.

As far as the read the bones thing goes he doesn't seem to make an attempt to keep them separate for the scry. I don't really think its rules lawyering at all.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Also the same kind of thing has hapened to LSV

GP Denver 2013 LSV accidentally touches a card to his hand playing Elves and gets a game loss.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Kyrosiris posted:

It's really rules-lawyery.

I don't think Randy and Marshal are so much against him as they know it's a pretty cut and dry case, in fact they sounded like they were hoping he would get the warning instead right up till the head judge came out and the first thing he said was that they won't be taking the camera footage into account because its unfair to non-feature match players. However I think once the head judge made the call they were expecting it to go "Oh ok then" and thats it, not 10 more mins of Patrick arguing when he was already told the head judges decision.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

magic rules should be hard and fast and unflinching except when my favorite wizard is affected.

Zoness posted:

c'mon it's only the second longest/second most important judge appeal chapin's ever done

:eyepop:

GonSmithe posted:

It wasn't cheating, he just hosed up. That fuckup resulted in a loss, and he was trying to appeal it. He didn't put the card in his hand, shuffle it, and then try to start arguing this.

Oh. So it's babby whining.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

That's been the rule distinction since forever though, and everyone knows it.I have absolutely seen people get a game loss at Comp REL events because they were Scrying and the card they were looking at touched the rest of their hand, even though it was clear which card it was.

At the PT level, every player there knows that rule and knows it's a game loss. I'm sure there will be a ton of articles on Monday about what a harsh rule it is and how it should be changed, but no chance could he have argued his way out of that situation, and the commentators knew it. Trying to make the "replay the tapes" and "he knew my cards from Courser" arguments only made it seem more desperate/squirmy.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I mean it seems likely that it was an honest mistake, even with the extra land, but that is how people like Bertoncini get away with things

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Skillface posted:

It's kinda lovely to everyone involved to show the entire judge call, they should have cut away and just announced the resolution.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Serperoth posted:

The Magic Twitch stream is showing some deck tech, where are you seeing PChap? :smith:

It finally just ended, with a handshake at least.

Skillface posted:

Reading it now, I like what he is saying. It was interesting to see the dialogue but it really should have been handled the way SCG does it, with a quick cut away and not color commentating the player's reasonings.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Kyrosiris posted:

There desperately needs to be a line when you say "this card has been drawn". A card physically touching the cards in your hand is it.

This is one of the most consistent rules in tournament Magic that basically every judge knows.

Frankly, Chapin moved into being pretty disrespectful there. These are obscenely experienced judges.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Chill la Chill posted:

magic rules should be hard and fast and unflinching except when my favorite wizard is affected.

:eyepop:

Oh. So it's babby whining.

Well you know, he was 5-0 and in a position where he was only a turn or two away from 6-0 in a PT. Course he is gonna be a bit upset over a simple mistake.

What shouldn't have happened is us watching it. They should have just cut to the deck tech while it happened, then either gone back had it only been a warning or told us after the result of the ruling.

Deofuta posted:

Reading it now, I like what he is saying. It was interesting to see the dialogue but it really should have been handled the way SCG does it, with a quick cut away and not color commentating the player's reasonings.

SCG is consistently better quality coverage than Wizards though. I like Randy and Marshal, BDM is pretty fun and Rich isn't so bad; but the whole production quality and level of professionalism is better from SCG.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 10, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

It's really rules-lawyery.

I don't think Randy and Marshal are so much against him as they know it's a pretty cut and dry case, in fact they sounded like they were hoping he would get the warning instead right up till the head judge came out and the first thing he said was that they won't be taking the camera footage into account because its unfair to non-feature match players. However I think once the head judge made the call they were expecting it to go "Oh ok then" and thats it, not 10 more mins of Patrick arguing when he was already told the head judges decision.

I'm working on hearsay here, but you have the right to appeal a Floor Judge's decision TO the Head Judge. The Head Judge's decision is final though, he can't appeal that, and if he insists, we start getting into some more serious territory (USC-Minor for failing to follow the request of tournament officials).

Zoness posted:

What was the first?

Hoping for a VOD soon so I can see it for myself, I missed it all

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
And this is another reason why I will never get anywhere in competitive magic. If I were Chapins opponent I'd be all "yea it was totally that card just show it me.. cool ... sick game mate let's continue!"

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Serperoth posted:

I'm working on hearsay here, but you have the right to appeal a Floor Judge's decision TO the Head Judge. The Head Judge's decision is final though, he can't appeal that, and if he insists, we start getting into some more serious territory (USC-Minor for failing to follow the request of tournament officials).

I agree that this was starting to approach USC - Minor. I think there's a question of diplomacy whether you issue it or not.

DoctorOozy posted:

And this is another reason why I will never get anywhere in competitive magic. If I were Chapins opponent I'd be all "yea it was totally that card just show it me.. cool ... sick game mate let's continue!"

Yeah please don't do this, deliberately ignoring an infraction by your opponent is pretty likely to get you USC - Cheating and a DQ.

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 10, 2015

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Serperoth posted:

What was the first?

Chapin went to jail because he was a big time drug dealer

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Serperoth posted:

What was the first?

Hoping for a VOD soon so I can see it for myself, I missed it all

He sold crack.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

DoctorOozy posted:

That's because Magic isn't your entire livelihood and there isn't $40k on the line.

Mind you, Magic not being your entire livelihood is a GOOD THING.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mfcrocker posted:

I agree that this was starting to approach USC - Minor. I think there's a question of diplomacy whether you issue it or not.

Depends on how much he dicked about it. Then again I'm sure that literally everyone on staff at the PT knows better than you or I do. :v:

Wezlar posted:

Chapin went to jail because he was a big time drug dealer

Ah gently caress, I was thinking about Magic, I knew about that. Still funny.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oh yeah, for the record, Chapin's been making mistakes all game. The Read the Bones screw up earlier involved playing a scry land beforehand, then drawing without scrying with Read the Bones, and then played another land to play Elspeth.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Serperoth posted:

What was the first?

He dealt some drugs when he was younger. Got caught, sent off to jail for a bit, came out reformed and/or a Magic player.

DoctorOozy posted:

Same.

Although in this case it is fair to say if his oppoent did do that after the judge ruling he could also qualify for a warning for not following a official's decision.

I didn't see the start of it, did the oppoent call the judge or did a judge stop play?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Gridlocked posted:

He dealt some drugs when he was younger. Got caught, sent off to jail for a bit, came out reformed and/or a Magic player.

Same.

Although in this case it is fair to say if his oppoent did do that after the judge ruling he could also qualify for a warning for not following a official's decision.

I didn't see the start of it, did the oppoent call the judge or did a judge stop play?

As soon as Chapin placed Tasigur from the Ajani ability next to/on his other cards, which were laying on the table the judge halted the gameplay.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gridlocked posted:

Yeah it's actually a pretty great story except for the spookier parts of it.

FWIW my attitude wrt chapin is distant admiration.

Also IIRC that history prevents him from attending events in Japan because their drug policies are super draconian.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

Same.

Both. His opponent said "he needs to reveal the card" at the exact moment the judge was stopping play.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i'm glad we got to watch chapin's entire boring rear end attempt to spin "i screwed up and forgot i was supposed to reveal the card" into some statement about rules enforcement at the feature tables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
it's actually about ethics in feature table journalism

• Locked thread