Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

like seriously what even brought this on? nobody has ever insulted you in any serious way from what i can tell. you're just another poster. you just came into this thread going PLEASE DON'T OWN ME for no apparent reason

It has become a self-fulfilling prophecy, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

The Devil Tesla posted:

Cool! I'm happy it's on Crunchyroll (even tho the subs are kind of sketchy) because I probably would have never looked for it outright but I gave it a shot when there wasn't anything else I wanted to watch and it's a fun thing to chill out with!

crunchyroll streaming fansubs for their own profit? why that would never happen

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

i'm playing saints row 4, is that anime?

anything can be anime if you try hard enough

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

crunchyroll streaming fansubs for their own profit? why that would never happen

I assume they're from the Discotek DVDs actually, and they're not worded awkwardly or anything but a little mistimed which may be a technical thing. Most fansubs are generally better than that in my experience, and there's a lot of official stuff that's even sketchier.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

what are some racing animes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly i know i should do my part for the anime industry but every crunchyroll sub ive seen has been below par. awkward wordings, mistimings, the whole nine yards.

Sharkopath posted:

redline

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i wanna go fast

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

speed racer and initial d

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sharkopath posted:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i remember igpx being good but i but if I went back it wouldnt be

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJUBGVlZdf8

oh hows this show, the op makes it look cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJUBGVlZdf8

oh hows this show, the op makes it look cool
its by the guy who made gundam SEED, but its like 10x better than SEED. funnily enough a lot of its plot elements are reused in SEED, just made way more serious.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

speed racer and initial d
Is Initial D still bad? I remember people saying it got bad.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

like seriously what even brought this on? nobody has ever insulted you in any serious way from what i can tell. you're just another poster. you just came into this thread going PLEASE DON'T OWN ME for no apparent reason

tbf i was gonna own him

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

honestly i know i should do my part for the anime industry but every crunchyroll sub ive seen has been below par. awkward wordings, mistimings, the whole nine yards.

They were going to make a season 3 of Chihayafuru, but they were a few cents short because they didn't get your streaming pennies.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

They were going to make a season 3 of Chihayafuru, but they were a few cents short because they didn't get your streaming pennies.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

is it even pennies? i always thought the way most stream deals work was it was like an upfront payment first

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Is Initial D still bad? I remember people saying it got bad.

yeah if it aint running in the 90s it aint worth watching

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sharkopath posted:

Yowamushi Pedal

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sharkopath posted:

is it even pennies? i always thought the way most stream deals work was it was like an upfront payment first

For free stuff the distributors get a paid each time someone watches the video. For subscribers a part of your subscription goes to the distributors, and it's divided between distributors based on what you watch using arcane maths. I forgot the word for them but there's also minimums, where for each episode distributors are guaranteed some amount of money and anything over that is bonus. So like, there's both.

You don't really need to know all that, but it does explain why there's just so much stuff on Crunchyroll. They don't have to pay a whole lot upfront, and the content providers have incentives to put as much on the service as possible. It's very similar to how Hulu works. Netflix just pays a lump sum to licence a show, which is why they have to be more selective.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

The Devil Tesla posted:

I assume they're from the Discotek DVDs actually, and they're not worded awkwardly or anything but a little mistimed which may be a technical thing. Most fansubs are generally better than that in my experience, and there's a lot of official stuff that's even sketchier.

They're not. They're the lovely toei vhs rips that became available in like 2009 on hulu.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

Yowamushi Pedal

More people need to watch the gay cycling boys anime.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I watched Harlock: Space Pirate and it was a thing. Whoever wrote the script needs to learn a thing about subtlety though. Like the protagonist not looking like Harlock so oh hey, there's no way he's gonna lose that right eye at all, especially with fancy spy tech stuffed into it. I was half-expecting it to end with the guy getting sent back a century to become Harlock with the Genesis Clock going off.

The CGI animation was pretty gorgeous though. The dub's lip-synching winds up looking Hong-Kong-fight-movie quality at times though.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Srice posted:

Ya it's good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Post Making Fun of Grouchio

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

K. Flaps posted:

Ya it's good.

It's cool that there was an increase in women bikers over there, because of the show.

First they watched it because they wanted the sweaty boys to gently caress, but then they discovered that biking owns.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

i remember igpx being good but i but if I went back it wouldnt be

Eh I think it holds up decently for the most part, but I haven't seen anywhere that has the cool soundtrack from when it was airing on toonami. They just have some really disappointingly generic soundtrack.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

It's cool that there was an increase in women bikers over there, because of the show.

First they watched it because they wanted the sweaty boys to gently caress, but then they discovered that biking owns.

Yowamushi Pedal is powerful.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Srice posted:

That's awesome. Riding bikes is win.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Srice posted:

I'm slowly working my way through Free S2 and try to only watch one boys doing a sport show at a time. Haven't decided if I want to watch gay cycling or gay basketball next but it'll be one or the other.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

nasu: summer in andalusia is a good cycling/race anime

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I need to catch up on Grande Road. I've slacked because I read ahead in the manga, but Yowamushi Pedal is a good show about solid bros.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm slowly working my way through Free S2 and try to only watch one boys doing a sport show at a time. Haven't decided if I want to watch gay cycling or gay basketball next but it'll be one or the other.

basketball show is bad

Davincie posted:

nasu: summer in andalusia is a good cycling/race anime

Yeah it's really good. More serious and real racing instead of yowapedas hot-blooded shonen racing

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

theres like 0 gifs of it on the internet, so this is the best i could find

its intense

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

K. Flaps posted:

basketball show is bad

Bummer.

Mostly I just want more volleyball. :(

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Bummer.

Mostly I just want more volleyball. :(

There'll be a volleyboys season 2 at some point. S1 sold really well.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

K. Flaps posted:

There'll be a volleyboys season 2 at some point. S1 sold really well.

Yeah I'm just impatient.

Maybe cycling anime will inspire me to be less of a lazy fatass like all those Japanese women.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like sports shows, only with girls instead of guys

recs: chihayafuru, bamboo blade

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Yeah I'm just impatient.

Maybe cycling anime will inspire me to be less of a lazy fatass like all those Japanese women.

Biking is fun. I did loads of different sports ever since I was young but there's nothing quite like feeling the wind in your face while your muscles let you to move at 50km/h

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

i like sports shows, only with girls instead of guys

recs: chihayafuru, bamboo blade

Teppu anime when??

• Locked thread