Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PupsOfWar posted:

Cruz was a literal champion debater in college, which I think is responsible for more of the "Ted Cruz will crush his enemies, see them driven before him on the debate stage, hear the lamentations of their women" thing than his law career. It's a vastly more extemporaneous thing than any kind of real-world legal practice is.

But both competetive debate and Law are about procedural wrangling, thoroughness, consistency, etc. Whereas a televised poltiical debate is theatre. It is about giving good soundbites and Seeming Cool. Is cruz good at that? probably not, at least when he's dealing with a more general audience than his own base.

Exactly. A flubbed argument or badly worded statement in a campaign will reverberate for weeks or even years. In debate it might get your speak points dropped a bit but judges are supposed to be more concerned with content when picking a winner. "You didn't build that" wouldn't have even been a blip in a debate but was practically the entire basis for GOP messaging against Obama.

Additionally in a debate competition you have to win over one supposedly impartial person, who must make a final decision right then. The audience in a campaign isn't even pretending to be objective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The difference is that everything you're listing is something being gifted, while what the issue was about is extending what she already has, is immediately in need of, and had been expecting to be able to use. If the police department upgraded her healthcare plan after her husband's arrest, this would be a very different discusssion.

What about continuing the cop's pay while he (hopefully) serves life in prison? Also extending the health insurance out a year or hell, 26 years until the kid is an adult, would also meet your definition of "extending what she already has". Would you be ok with taxpayers footing those bills?

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 10, 2015

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Augh I knew he was gay. Charles Johnson was right yall.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Unzip and Attack posted:

What about continuing the cop's pay while he (hopefully) serves life in prison?

No one is going to agree with that except the racist nutbags that think the cop is totally innocent.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Raskolnikov38 posted:

No one is going to agree with that except the racist nutbags that think the cop is totally innocent.

Why not? It's the same rationale that grants the changing of the rules to grant an extension of the healthcare until the child is born. "extending what she already has" is a direct quote. Someone with more empathy than you (my empathy is over 9000!!!!) could easily tell you how much of an rear end in a top hat you are for not wanting to help this poor woman.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 10, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The massive burden placed on the families of the incarcerated is one of the hosed up things about our criminal justice system, so let's not all gleefully trash our principles because we hate cops.

I want to help all the families of the imprisoned because I'm against punishing people for poo poo they didn't do.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

The massive burden placed on the families of the incarcerated is one of the hosed up things about our criminal justice system, so let's not all gleefully trash our principles because we hate cops.

We can agree on that and disagree that the way to fix it is by giving the relatives of authority figures special treatment at tax payer expense while doing nothing to help everyone else.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

There's black gold at the end of that rainbow.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

I want to help all the families of the imprisoned because I'm against punishing people for poo poo they didn't do.

Zouxpinions I can agree with.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

We can agree on that and disagree that the way to fix it is by giving the relatives of authority figures special treatment at tax payer expense while doing nothing to help everyone else.

Oh no tax payer expense :ohdear:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gee why is the right running circles around the left in the healthcare debate? *argues vehemently that the pregnant wife of a criminal should be immediately stripped of all benefits because it would be fair*

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

John Boehner's entitlement reform pitch... in 10 gifs.

The GOP, much like Cunard Lines, only cares about providing help for the rich when there's a catastrophe.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

A Winner is Jew posted:

The GOP, much like Cunard Lines, only cares about providing help for the rich when there's a catastrophe.

Also doesn't believe it's possible for water to ever rise above a certain height.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If global warming is real then why are there icebergs? :smugdog:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

Why not? It's the same rationale that grants the changing of the rules to grant an extension of the healthcare until the child is born. "extending what she already has" is a direct quote. Someone with more empathy than you (my empathy is over 9000!!!!) could easily tell you how much of an rear end in a top hat you are for not wanting to help this poor woman.

Well just lemme trump this all right now and inform you that I am very in favor of full communism now.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lets remember the real victim here, the pregnant wife of the now unemployed boy in blue.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Tender Bender posted:

Gee why is the right running circles around the left in the healthcare debate? *argues vehemently that the pregnant wife of a criminal should be immediately stripped of all benefits because it would be fair*

Yeah if we just keep entrenching the existing power structure while wishing upon a star that the underclass will get some trickle-down justice, Democrats will sweep the polls!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

haveblue posted:

If global warming is real then why are there icebergs? :smugdog:

You know how ice cubes crack when warm water touches them?

It's just a bigger version of that. :pseudo:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Yo can we get "Love me, I'm a liberal" embedded in this thread? It'd cut down on the need for trabs and radbot to post.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Trabisnikof posted:

Lets remember the real victim here, the pregnant wife of the now unemployed boy in blue.

Who said this?

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Trabisnikof posted:

Maybe the PD should also be paying the deceased late child support payments, if they are caring about the children impacted by this incident.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zoux posted:

Charles Johnson was right yall.

Why would you say such terrible things?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

wait i thought unemployed people and immigrants get the best healthcare in the world and that's why makers are forced to pay so much for it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah if we just keep entrenching the existing power structure while wishing upon a star that the underclass will get some trickle-down justice, Democrats will sweep the polls!

We should strip a woman of healthcare in the last month of her pregnancy in order to chip away at the existing power structure?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "For the crazy diamonds to shine government must get out of the way. Shine on you crazy diamond." ~ Rand Paul

He then added, "You got to be crazy, you gotta have a real need. You gotta sleep on your toes and when you're on the street you got to be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed. And then moving in silently, down wind and out of sight you gotta strike when the moment is right without thinking."

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "For the crazy diamonds to shine government must get out of the way. Shine on you crazy diamond." ~ Rand Paul

He then added, "You got to be crazy, you gotta have a real need. You gotta sleep on your toes and when you're on the street you got to be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed. And then moving in silently, down wind and out of sight you gotta strike when the moment is right without thinking."

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Joementum posted:

Biden's doing just fine

Rand Paul quoting Pink Floyd should be enough to get them together one last time just to tell him to stop.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

We should strip a woman of healthcare in the last month of her pregnancy in order to chip away at the existing power structure?

Stop spreading bogus information. She would not have lost coverage. Not for one loving day.

From the City of North Charleston's own Health Insurance info sheet posted:

The COBRA law requires Employers to let the following eligible people continue their coverage, after they ordinarily would not be eligible for it, for a period of up to 18, 29 or 36 months, depending on certain circumstances called “qualifying events”:
D. 18 months for Employees who are fired, unless the firing is due to gross misconduct of the Employee, and any family members who also lose coverage for this reason;

Not only that, her now unemployed hubby would have 60 days to fill out the forms:

quote:

The participant or the appropriate Dependent must complete a COBRA application form and return it to the Plan Administrator no later than 60 days (called the election period) from the later of; (1) the date the participants coverage ends, or (2) the date the Participant receives notice of the right to apply for continuation coverage.

And the premiums would have been basically the same (+2%):

quote:

Premiums for continuation of coverage should be paid to the Plan Administrator or their designated party. The Plan Administrator has the right to require you to pay the entire premium, even if active employees only pay part of the premium. The Plan Administrator also has the right to charge and keep an extra two percent administration fee each month. For disabled employees who have applied for the 29 month COBRA continuation period, the Plan Administrator has the right to charge 150% of the applicable premium each month for the 19th month through the 29th month of coverage.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Simply apply the current power structure to this family.

And lets face it guys, their family will walk away with six figures from donations for the murder of a black man.

Tender Bender posted:

How does this imply the right is running circles around the left? She needs to be stripped of coverage because that's how the market works, not made an exception so it seems that similar cases receive the same benefit.

^^^
Cobra is a bit more expensive as afaik you also have to cover what the employer did as well, but it really doesn't matter in this case.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mr. Wookums posted:

And lets face it guys, their family will walk away with six figures from donations for the murder of a black man.

Actually thus far, their campaign isn't doing too well..https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/michael-t-slager-support-fund

$1.7K won't cover the lawyer.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Joementum posted:

Then he voices the guitar solo.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
*frantically googles SC health care policy to find a reason why it's in the Democrat's interest to strip healthcare from a pregnant woman*

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Actually thus far, their campaign isn't doing too well..https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/michael-t-slager-support-fund

That's better than I expected.

/e- Better for humanity

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Vote for the GOP if you want healthcare exclusive to cops.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Stop spreading bogus information. She would not have lost coverage. Not for one loving day.

I like the part where you quoted the text that would specifically exempt the ex-cop's wife from COBRA insurance.

http://cobrahealthinsurance.com/Questions/COBRA_faqs_Frequently_Asked_Questions.html#Who_is_entitled_to_benefits_under_COBRA

Qualifying Events for Spouses:

Voluntary or involuntary termination of the covered employee's employment for any reason other than gross misconduct

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Bel Shazar posted:

I like the part where you quoted the text that would specifically exempt the ex-cop's wife from COBRA insurance.

http://cobrahealthinsurance.com/Questions/COBRA_faqs_Frequently_Asked_Questions.html#Who_is_entitled_to_benefits_under_COBRA

Qualifying Events for Spouses:

Voluntary or involuntary termination of the covered employee's employment for any reason other than gross misconduct

:laffo:

Alternative (and wrong) post:

Trabs doesn't think gunning an innocent black man is gross misconduct.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Trabisnikof posted:

They're already 1/3 of the way to their goal in 2 days, so it isn't doing terribly. There are 375 comments to read for anyone interested (masochists).

Edit: Actually, read them. They're all just people hating on the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Obama has never once visited majority white nations. - Actual GOP talking point at the moment.

• Locked thread