Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Trollbama is and always will be the best Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

Trollbama is and always will be the best Obama.

He's able to troll all kinds of folks, in this pic he's on overdrive driving racist grandpa's up the wall along with national weed advocates pulling their hair out!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Nonsense posted:

He's able to troll all kinds of folks, in this pic he's on overdrive driving racist grandpa's up the wall along with national weed advocates pulling their hair out!

I want him to do a press conference wearing a Rastafarian wig and hat. Go for broke. See how many rage-induced heart attacks you can cause.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"My fellow americans...uh..if you say "beer can"..ah...that's...ah...that's how it sounds to say "bacon" in a Jamaican accent".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"Let me be clear: We jammin'. I want to jam it with you."

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I somehow feel that the best way to take this particular incident is to roll it into a discussion about how health care should still be improved. I think agree that this is a nebulous case, but solving it doesn't get anyone anywhere, either we do our don't give a pregnant woman an extra month of health care because this isn't her fault.

Roll that into a discussion about how the public options, and in many cases the ones offered by employees, are lacking. Demand that more be done to help the disadvantaged, not less!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tender Bender posted:

Gee why is the right running circles around the left in the healthcare debate? *argues vehemently that the pregnant wife of a criminal should be immediately stripped of all benefits because it would be fair*

What does this even mean?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yo can we get "Love me, I'm a liberal" embedded in this thread? It'd cut down on the need for trabs and radbot to post.

I don't mind if you call me liberal but I don't identify as one.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

What about continuing the cop's pay while he (hopefully) serves life in prison? Also extending the health insurance out a year or hell, 26 years until the kid is an adult, would also meet your definition of "extending what she already has". Would you be ok with taxpayers footing those bills?

You seem to be misisng the extremely relevant point of the immediate need of the healthcare. If she had a massive mortgage payment due and the cop was paid weekly or monthly, then I have no problem with her getting another paycbeck before cutting her off. I just do not understand how you can equate 'keeping her current health insurance until her baby is born' with 'state paid healthcare for 26 years'

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Radbot posted:

What does this even mean?

The left is bad at framing conversations and picks terrible hills to die on.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

The left is bad at framing conversations and picks terrible hills to die on.

As evidenced by people not shutting the gently caress up in general about it!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
EDIT - redacted, I think the conversation has gone on long enough. Hopefully both sides see the other's point and can disagree respectfully.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

The Marshall County Board voted Thursday to send former U.S. Rep. Aaron Schock a bill for the $76,000 in costs that the county will be forced to spend on special elections to fill his 18th Congressional District seat. The Peoria, Illinois, Republican resigned last month after coming under fire for his use of taxpayer and campaign funds and extravagant spending habits. Signed by all 10 board members, the letter offers Schock options of sending either the full amount or paying through an installment plan.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
It's a clear double standard, exacerbated by the near-nonexistant social welfare programs in America.

She should still retain her healthcare coverage through having her child, but I also understand where Radbot and Trab are coming from. I'm sure that every day thousands of other families in America face very similar horrible outcomes, where a spouse has a major healthcare issue, they are fired/laid off and suddenly find themselves falling through the cracks without the visibility benefit of being the spouse of a person involved in the currently highest-profile event in the country.

Personally I wish it could be seen as a rallying point for supporters of universal health care coverage in this country and the same benefits extended to the woman should be extended to all Americans, murdercop husband or no.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Charging someone for the next election is a great way to make sure no one ever resigns again, no matter how horrible they are.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

So we have a man, canal Panama.

Does he have a plan?

Walk softly and carry a big stick.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
In actual political news that should surprise no one at all, Hil-dawg is gonna declare.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/11/us/politics/hillary-clinton-to-announce-2016-run-for-president-on-sunday.html

e: Does anyone know about potential VP picks? I've heard one of the Castro bros thrown about, but I don't how they align politically with her. It's definitely the cynical choice, hitting all the demographic boxes though.

A Man With A Plan fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 10, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Looks like Cruz has forced Hildawg into a premature declaration.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Congratulations in advance on your election, President Clinton.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Gounads posted:

Charging someone for the next election is a great way to make sure no one ever resigns again, no matter how horrible they are.

If he didn't resign he'd be kicked out.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Gounads posted:

I think it's more that he resigned in disgraced more than anything else. If he were to resign because of a health issue or something like that I doubt they would charge him with anything.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

JT Jag posted:

Congratulations in advance on your election, President Clinton.

We thought Hillary was a lock in 2007 too.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

saintonan posted:

This time it'll be different.

This time, its the year of the Bill.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014

Joementum posted:

Cruz: ​At the— I'm— I'm a big believer at focusing on battles that matter and that are winnable.

I know I'm a few days late on this but...:lol:

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

HisMajestyBOB posted:

If he didn't resign he'd be kicked out.

So the next guy will just wait (weeks? months?) until he's kicked out. Definitely the outcome you want.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

saintonan posted:

I don't see an Obama on the horizon this time, but maybe someone will surprise me.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I don't see an Obama on the horizon this time, but maybe someone will surprise me.

Martin O'Malley :cool:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

I do, and I see him going for Biden.

There is no love between Obama and the Clinton's. Like, did Michelle and the girls even go to Chelsea's wedding?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

I do, and I see him going for Biden.

There is no love between Obama and the Clinton's. Like, did Michelle and the girls even go to Chelsea's wedding?
Biden jokes about it, but the feeling I have is that he won't actually run.

this_is_hard posted:

Martin O'Malley :cool:
Wouldn't be a bad primary challenger.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Biden jokes about it, but the feeling I have is that he won't actually run.

Biden is absolutely gonna run

Obama will remain neutral until the nominee (Clinton) has wrapped up enough delegates

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Nonsense posted:

Obama has never once visited majority white nations. - Actual GOP talking point at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-9ry38AhbU

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Even if all O'Malley accomplishes is to pull whomever the party nominates to the left, I'll take it. That said, I like the guy, and I still want him in office somewhere.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sorus posted:

Even if all O'Malley accomplishes is to pull whomever the party nominates to the left, I'll take it. That said, I like the guy, and I still want him in office somewhere.

Soft left for the primary, hard right and never look back for the general.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

Soft left for the primary, hard right and never look back for the general.
When you're campaigning you can't actively contradict yourself before the election. Even Obama didn't. So concessions to the left out of the eventual nominee mean they can't claim the corresponding right-wing position in the general.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

That was before he was president, check and mate libtard. :smuggo:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Every time I think about voting again I get tired and have to take a nap.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I hope Gore runs.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

When you're campaigning you can't actively contradict yourself before the election. Even Obama didn't. So concessions to the left out of the eventual nominee mean they can't claim the corresponding right-wing position in the general.

Thing is, you never make explicit concessions. You make folks believe you're making those concessions, while you stay consistent in the backroom with donors.

Doctor Butts posted:

I hope Gore runs.

Campaigns are a lot like venture capitalism: you never play with your own money.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

JT Jag posted:

Jim Webb

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Obama has never once visited majority white nations. - Actual GOP talking point at the moment.

The darker it is, the more times he's visited it as President. France and Mexico are leaders in the clubhouse at 6 visits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Joementum posted:

"Let me be clear: We jammin'. I want to jam it with you."
This really needs to be the new thread title

• Locked thread