Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pivo posted:

... just to counter all the negative anecdotes, 10.10.3 installed for me in under 10 minutes with no problems and everything is exactly as it was, Finder and all.

YMMV. I was kinda spooked pulling the trigger on day 1 but it seems to be OK.

Yeah, it took longer for me but I'm still on an old spinny drive.

I haven't had any issues with the (public) betas either except for the first Yosemite beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Look Up has gotten majorly beefed up. If you three finger tap on a link it will pop up a little window and render the destination.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I figured the Force Touch overlay was just an improved three finger tap one that got shipped early.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hey thread. I have a late 2013 rMBP. I often use it connected to a crappy display via miniDP to VGA adapter. When I first got the computer, the external monitor would not wake from sleep when the laptop did. The laptop would recognize it was connected to the display, but the display itself stayed in sleep mode and said "no input detected." My solultion was to unplug the adapter and plug it back in or to restart the computer.

Then apple did a cool update and the problem went away. If I returned to my computer which was in sleep mode, simply moving the mouse would wake the laptop and display.

But after that I updated to the latest OSX (before the recent one, I'll check when I get home) and the behavior reverted back to what I described up top.

It's super annoying, but it's a first world problem I'm willing to live with.

I want to buy a new monitor, and if AT ALL possible, I would love for it to wake from sleep like it's supposed to.

Would I encounter this same issue using miniDP--> DVI or mini DP-->DP?

Those of you with MBPs and external displays, do your monitors wake from sleep mode or screensaver mode when you move the mouse or wake the computer?

My HDMI port works perfectly when hooked up to a TV. It's the thunderbolt ports giving me trouble.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Since installing 10.10.3 on my 2014 Air, it takes way longer to get to the login screen from a cold boot. It used to take four or five seconds from pressing the power button to being able to enter my password, but now it takes about thirty, and almost all of that time is spent on a black screen before the Apple logo appears. Anyone else experienced this?

e: Resetting PRAM fixed it. Guess I should have tried that first.

The Ass Stooge fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 9, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The rear end Stooge posted:

Since installing 10.10.3 on my 2014 Air, it takes way longer to get to the login screen from a cold boot. It used to take four or five seconds from pressing the power button to being able to enter my password, but now it takes about thirty, and almost all of that time is spent on a black screen before the Apple logo appears. Anyone else experienced this?

Unplug all peripherals, zap PRAM, make sure OS X is set as your startup disk, pray to god, etc.

Also when do you hear the chime?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Look Up has gotten majorly beefed up. If you three finger tap on a link it will pop up a little window and render the destination.

This is great, thanks for the tip. Probably never would have found that on my own.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
So I can just delete the iPhoto Library file after it makes the new Photos Library file? I have backups if something goes horribly wrong.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
If I place my Photos library on an external drive, and use iCloud Photo library, can I then view my online library without the drive attached while using the drive to periodically take full resolution backups?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Has anyone been experiencing issue with iTunes Match lately?

Just updated iTunes, and suddenly everything from Match is gone. I turned off match holding the option key to flush the stored files, but when turning it on again, it alerts me to all the files being there, but doesn't display them. Naturally, I checked to see if everything was toggled to show iCloud files, but no solutions there. Everything is checked, and everything looks perfectly fine - just a distinct lack of 3500 songs I have in iTunes Match. Oddly enough, all my other iOS devices see the songs jut fine.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have a retina MBP and an iPhone 5c for work. I also have poo poo signal in my house.

If I try to call someone via facetime audio on my laptop, is it using the mobile network, or the internet? In addition to this, when my iPhone rings my laptop rings - if I answer it on the laptop, which is it using?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

FaceTime audio is data. Calls are the circuit network. If it's a FaceTime audio call, the laptop is going to be able to take that on its own through your wifi/ethernet/whatever internet, and your phone won't be involved in any way unless you're tethered. If it's a cell call, it's relayed over Bluetooth from the phone.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is there a good gif-making program for OS X similar to ScreenToGif for Windows?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

carry on then posted:

FaceTime audio is data. Calls are the circuit network. If it's a FaceTime audio call, the laptop is going to be able to take that on its own through your wifi/ethernet/whatever internet, and your phone won't be involved in any way unless you're tethered. If it's a cell call, it's relayed over Bluetooth from the phone.

Exactly what I was after - thanks.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Speaking of the handoff feature and everything, why the gently caress can't I SMS from Messages.app? I used to be able to, then it stopped working. Months ago, way before 10.10.3 or whatever. It'll see that I have an active message session with an SMS contact, I'll click the thing in the dock, it'll bring up Messages.app, but I can't send or receive anything there. It's just a blank message session with that contact, but if I send anything it immediately says it failed.

Everything else (re: handoff) works fine, just the SMS poo poo broke. I reassociated my number with iMessage and all that, all my settings are correct, OS X certainly thinks I can SMS from Messages, but when I go to do it ... nothing.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Pivo posted:

Speaking of the handoff feature and everything, why the gently caress can't I SMS from Messages.app? I used to be able to, then it stopped working. Months ago, way before 10.10.3 or whatever. It'll see that I have an active message session with an SMS contact, I'll click the thing in the dock, it'll bring up Messages.app, but I can't send or receive anything there. It's just a blank message session with that contact, but if I send anything it immediately says it failed.

Everything else (re: handoff) works fine, just the SMS poo poo broke. I reassociated my number with iMessage and all that, all my settings are correct, OS X certainly thinks I can SMS from Messages, but when I go to do it ... nothing.

Sign out of iCloud and iMessage on your phone. Sign out on the Mac. Sign back in on the phone, sign back in on the Mac.

Had to do it before (though that was my fault - complicated situation)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Pivo posted:

For some reason, my phone at one point forgot all the devices I had authorized for SMS forwarding. Is your laptop enabled under Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding on your phone? For some reason, this setting would sometimes disappear from the page. I think I had to disable and re-enable handoff or iMessage to get it to show up.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

carry on then posted:

For some reason, my phone at one point forgot all the devices I had authorized for SMS forwarding. Is your laptop enabled under Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding on your phone? For some reason, this setting would sometimes disappear from the page. I think I had to disable and re-enable handoff or iMessage to get it to show up.

gently caress me, that was it.

Dammit, Apple. It was enabled by default, worked properly, then suddenly it's buried in some menu, and attempting to use the feature doesn't say "hey shithead, you haven't turned it on"...

Oh well. Thank you!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Anjow posted:

I have a retina MBP and an iPhone 5c for work. I also have poo poo signal in my house.

This is why WiFi Calling is boon, alas only for T-Mobile and Sprint in the US as of iOS 8.3.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like that WiFi calling is an option, but the majority of the time I am either in public or want to take an incoming call on my actual phone, or I don't want to take the call at all. I wish the notification had a third "ignore" option, similar to how I can click once on the power button to silence an incoming call.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

TheQat posted:

LiceCAP maybe.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

TheQat posted:

I've used Gifrocket, but haven't really stressed it. I don't think it does screen recording, only the conversion -- I used QuickTime Player for the recording.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I upgraded to Yosemite - there's an icon in the top right of my screen (next to the magnifying glass), but when I click on it it doesn't do anything...

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
That would probably be Notification Center if it looks like . Try Option clicking it to turn it off and on? Try restarting?

Turn it off and use Bartender to throw away the icon if you don't need it?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Triglav posted:

That would probably be Notification Center if it looks like . Try Option clicking it to turn it off and on? Try restarting?

Turn it off and use Bartender to throw away the icon if you don't need it?

Okay what I found

quote:

Here are the instructions I got from AppleCare from an Apple Engineer. I'm not sure if the fix was specifically for my machine or if it'll work for someone else. Follow at your own risk.

1. Open the Library folder in your Home folder.
2. In the Library folder, open the Application Support folder.
3. Locate the folder named NotificationCenter. Drag this folder to the desktop.
4. Next, open the Terminal application.

Copy and paste each line of these commands into the Terminal window, in order. Press return after each line:

cd `getconf DARWIN_USER_DIR`
rm -rf com.apple.notificationcenter
killall usernoted; killall NotificationCenter

5. Close the Terminal app.
6. Restart your computer.

The notification preference changes won't stick until you restart a 2nd time after this.

I don't have the NotificationCenter folder.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I looked up bartender, but it costs $15 after a four week trial... don't really want to pay to hide an icon!

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

actionjackson posted:

I looked up bartender, but it costs $15 after a four week trial... don't really want to pay to hide an icon!

Maybe try Broomstick.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Just tried it, it doesn't hide it after I select the appropriate option

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I'm not sure that hiding the icon is really the right solution to Notification Center being broken on your machine. Just sweeping dirt under the rug...

Here's another potential solution from stack exchange:

quote:

This in terminal will show notification center again:

launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist
killall NotificationCenter

You will have to restart your mac afterwards.

If that doesn't work, i'd open console.app and see if anything gets logged when you click the notification center icon. That may give a hint.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ok, I did that first line and now notification center actually does something, thanks

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
So in the new Photos am I overlooking the way to drag photos between date entries* or is that not possible any longer?

*I guess that view is now titled Moments. One used to be able to drag and drop photos in this view- whatever it was called on iPhoto I don't remember.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 11, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Adding photos to albums is actually so bad on Photos. Why can't I just right click and add them ? It always takes me ages to remember the little plus sign

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
All I want to do is see my files in Finder, but I guess that's too much to ask, thanks Apple :mad:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

I'm not sure that hiding the icon is really the right solution to Notification Center being broken on your machine. Just sweeping dirt under the rug...

Here's another potential solution from stack exchange:

If that doesn't work, i'd open console.app and see if anything gets logged when you click the notification center icon. That may give a hint.

If I do unload instead of load should that remove it?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

actionjackson posted:

code:
man launchctl

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

actionjackson posted:

You can disable it but the icon won't go away. That's where you were to begin with. I didn't realize you actually did want to nuke it altogether...

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

illcendiary posted:

All I want to do is see my files in Finder, but I guess that's too much to ask, thanks Apple :mad:

This is what's so hilariously bad about iCloud Drive. Sure you can store you photos in it, but lol if you want to actually see or do anything with the files.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

You can disable it but the icon won't go away. That's where you were to begin with. I didn't realize you actually did want to nuke it altogether...

I just like to be able to customize how things look as much as possible.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

actionjackson posted:

I just like to be able to customize how things look as much as possible.

Then pay for Bartender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I have a dumb question.

Why is it when I go to open a video file from VLC Open File window, it won't let me double click a folder to navigate into it? It always wants to just add the entire folder to a playlist. I've noticed this behavior with other applications as well. For example, when selecting where to download the contents of a torrent file with Transmission. It's really frustrating.

decypher fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 11, 2015