Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And then there's the Planet Express Ship. ;-*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sash! posted:

They don't even drink actual booze!

They do in DS9! One more point in that show's favor.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

Admiral Ross did a brief bit of necessary evil but on the whole was a pretty awesome workhorse.

There were a fair few generic one-off admirals that were okay. Like Adm Walk Out Of Trial.

I hate admiral Ross because he would always pass over Carl Winslow for promotion and take credit for his work.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gonz posted:

Also, there's a third Admiral just offscreen that caused the ship to explode to begin with.

Implosion.

Fister Roboto posted:

They do in DS9! One more point in that show's favor.

"oh yeah, these guys drink real ethanol, it's a much more ~*~authentic~*~ experience"

I don't understand why everyone's gotta be space booze hipsters in this thread.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Even though the warp speed limit deal is ehhhh at best, the episode did give us a badass looking subspace warp rift.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Given the track record of the holodeck malfunctioning and going rogue when exposed to weird space phenomena or when the ship shakes too hard, an all-holographic ship just seems to be asking for trouble.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

iraqniphobia posted:

No joke I'm afraid.

http://startrekrenegades.com/home/category/str-news/web-design/casting/ (about halfway down)

edit: Just saw Eddie Furlong is in this too...has he done anything worth watching since American History X?

Just lots of drugs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Question: Why were the Bolians let into the Federation? They are a garbage race. Do you think whoever signed off on the paperwork thought they were getting the Tholians? Like, he thought he just pulled off a huge diplomatic coup, and then when word got back to the federation he was quickly promoted to admiral and sent to watch deep space 12 on the edge of the neutral zone?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

greatn posted:

Question: Why were the Bolians let into the Federation? They are a garbage race. Do you think whoever signed off on the paperwork thought they were getting the Tholians? Like, he thought he just pulled off a huge diplomatic coup, and then when word got back to the federation he was quickly promoted to admiral and sent to watch deep space 12 on the edge of the neutral zone?

The Bolians were invited to join because of their advanced plumbing technologies. :v:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

greatn posted:

As far as I can tell, the Bolian race is known primarily for wringing their hands and kvetching.

edit: Which probably fits in well with the general civilian population of the Federation, to be honest.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oh, regarding pre-production designs on Ferengi, here are Gene Roddenberry's memos describing them:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Of course that memo notes the sexual prowess of the Ferengi. God drat it, Gene.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I like how it starts out fairly normal and then in like the third paragraph we're into details on Ferengi genitals

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

VitalSigns posted:

This always annoyed me about the doctor too. Sick-bay is fitted with tiny tractor beams so he can pick things up: why does he have to waste time walking around to get stuff when he could just have the computer levitate them into his hands. Why does he need tools at all when holographic or replicated ones could appear in his hands instantly? Why does he have to go enter stuff into his little laptop when everything he knows is in the computer already, wouldn't it be faster in an emergency for the EMH to just create the record files directly into the logs? Why is his field of view limited to where the representation of him is pointing when every inch of sick bay must be observed by cameras already?

But instead of thinking through the implications, they just made him a regular dude with a Pinocchio complex.

I was thinking about this last night, and the best I can explain it is that the EMH is deliberately completely segregated so that a compromised Computer won't prevent him from working. It is not a system you want to go down after all! Possibly some psychological stuff about people feeling more comfortable with a more human-like doc too, remember that they were real dicks to the Doctor on Voyager until Kes stepped in.

And god drat it, Gene.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I bet his notes have all kinds of charts and diagrams detailing the specifics of alien dongs

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

VitalSigns posted:

Is there a single starfleet admiral who isn't shown to be either evil or incompetent? Ever?

J.P. Hansen :colbert:

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I do think it would have been pretty cool if they did something with the "even the slowest Ferengi could outdraw Wyatt Earp" stuff. It would be amazing for a bunch of greedy snivling little Ferengis to be able to whip out some anime style speed and zip around people without even trying.

Also I never 100% realized the Ferengi were completely hairless until I read that but it makes total sense. You'd think for being specific as he was about Ferengi genitals (the shape!) that he would have also included the trademark "Hew-MON" pronunciation. So that being said, I give mega credit to the actor/director/writer/etc who originally decided that that would be a cool thing to say.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sash! posted:

I bet his notes have all kinds of charts and diagrams detailing the specifics of alien dongs

Does anyone have that post from a previous thread where a goon drew a bunch of theoretical diagrams comparing the textures of Cardassian/Bajoran penises/vaginas?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Tyson Tomko posted:

Also I never 100% realized the Ferengi were completely hairless until I read that but it makes total sense.

Check the Nagus's ears.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

I hate admiral Ross because he would always pass over Carl Winslow for promotion and take credit for his work.

Holy poo poo, you're right

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Cat Hatter posted:

Does anyone have that post from a previous thread where a goon drew a bunch of theoretical diagrams comparing the textures of Cardassian/Bajoran penises/vaginas?

Oh good so that wasn't a fever dream.

Oh god so that wasn't a fever dream.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
A whole new level of spoonhead.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Do they have spoondicks too?!?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Check the Nagus's ears.

poo poo you're right. So there is still a chance for ferengi pubes afterall good deal.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mike the TV posted:

Do they have spoondicks too?!?

"Why a spoondick, cousin?"

"Because, you idiot, it would hurt more!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tyson Tomko posted:

You'd think for being specific as he was about Ferengi genitals (the shape!) that he would have also included the trademark "Hew-MON" pronunciation. So that being said, I give mega credit to the actor/director/writer/etc who originally decided that that would be a cool thing to say.

Yeah what was up with that? Were Ferengi universal translators defective?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Or they were just being dicks.

Like when we used to call them the Roo-skies

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
They're being assholes when they say it. Like a slur. How much emphasis they put on pronouncing it that way depends on how offensive they're trying to sound.

Nog barely says it that way, for example, and they don't pronounce it that way at all several times while talking amongst themselves.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Tyson Tomko posted:

I do think it would have been pretty cool if they did something with the "even the slowest Ferengi could outdraw Wyatt Earp" stuff. It would be amazing for a bunch of greedy snivling little Ferengis to be able to whip out some anime style speed and zip around people without even trying.

I dunno man. You're trying to talk us out of a world where the Magnificent Ferengi makes sense. I don't know if I want to live in that world.

I think one of the things I love about lovely pop culture stuff is the kind of slow-burn character work that comes precisely when your starting point is "Gene describes a physical superpower and an alien penis." It's sort of like one of the good X-Men runs taking a Stan Lee fever dream like Cyclops and making his marriage fail because he's refused to have a personality for 30 years. Artists thrive with limitations and all that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Speaking of Gene

"The chief medical officer of the flagship of the fleet is going to be the kind of brilliant doctor and outstanding professional who could land such a plum assignment. Okay now first, she walks like a stripper at all times"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Picard has the evolved sensibilities of a man with no bias or prejudice towards anyone for any variable about who they are.

But he has such a megaboner for the stripper doctor that he violates every protocol there is to impress her so he can bang her.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The original backstory had Picard personally killing Jack Crusher, laughing the whole while.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

In my head cannon, Picard and Jack both wanted Bev, but they flipped on it and Jack won. Years later, they're both upset with how it turned out, so they decide the only way to settle it is to have sex with each other until someone dies. To the victor goes the spoils.

Picard's roboheart was his ace in the hole

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

No, guys, she's not a stripper, she's a striptease queen.

Gene has many times been used as a sex object and enjoyed it each time.

On an unrelated note, I'm reading the Vonnegut novel where the Chinese all shrink themselves to be smaller than a thumb in order to conserve resources and become beings of perfect intellect. Is it wrong that even as I post this here, I kind of want to give him a pass for that, since he was America's adorable curmudgeonly grandpa?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

But if you shrink yourself down, you'd still require just as much resources, except also shrunk down!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sash! posted:

Picard has the evolved sensibilities of a man with no bias or prejudice towards anyone for any variable about who they are.

But he has such a megaboner for the stripper doctor that he violates every protocol there is to impress her so he can bang her.

Also he's a huge racist who takes every opportunity to tell anyone who will listen that France civilized the barbarians and they should be grateful.

Humanity's united future!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apollodorus posted:

J.P. Hansen :colbert:
He got owned by the Borg though

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Sash! posted:

But if you shrink yourself down, you'd still require just as much resources, except also shrunk down!

It might be political theater. No one truly understands Vonnegut's Chinese.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Tyson Tomko posted:

Yeah, instead, they just came off as twitchy and ratlike. Their fur outfits and lovely posture in their first appearances just furthered the ~degenerate animal~ vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

betaraywil posted:

No, guys, she's not a stripper, she's a striptease queen.

Gene has many times been used as a sex object and enjoyed it each time.

On an unrelated note, I'm reading the Vonnegut novel where the Chinese all shrink themselves to be smaller than a thumb in order to conserve resources and become beings of perfect intellect. Is it wrong that even as I post this here, I kind of want to give him a pass for that, since he was America's adorable curmudgeonly grandpa?

There are worse crazy things than that waiting for you in there. Like, crazy weird gross things. Waiting for you.

• Locked thread