Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

when i try to blank quote chemmy quoting dangerllama it quoted nothing

life is hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bump guys in drop-in all the time. It's technically a "check" because it's not incidental contact but no one gives a poo poo because everyone's friends and they do the same thing right back.

I assume that's what this "epic hip check" was and there's a bit of exaggeration going on.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

its drop in why ever fall down into someone else i don't get it even if you're trying to be cute

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I think you missed the implied part where this was between two regulars. After skating with the same guys for years, it's pretty easy to know who's willing to give/take a hit, and when it's OK to do it.

e: Because apparently hockey stories have to be 100% truthful in the retelling: The hip check wasn't going to be "epic", and I didn't really fall down. :ssh:. Also y'all take drop-in too seriously.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 10, 2015

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Hockey socks inquiry.

I'm looking for plain Vegas Gold socks, in Edge/Mesh/Pro (not knit) style, sold individually. But, the only site I've come across is SublimationKings.com, but their socks have a weird elastic top to them.

Anybody know of any sites that sell them individually?

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Habibi posted:

To each their own, but in my experience, using a heavy stick/stick weight and a weighted puck or even vinyl weightplate has produced better functional results than the forearm exercises - including wrist curls, rollers, etc... - I used to do in the gym. And it has the added benefit of not being as loving boring.

In my experience as an old person, hockey stick motions with added weight = tendonitis.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Hockles posted:

Hockey socks inquiry.

I'm looking for plain Vegas Gold socks, in Edge/Mesh/Pro (not knit) style, sold individually. But, the only site I've come across is SublimationKings.com, but their socks have a weird elastic top to them.

Anybody know of any sites that sell them individually?

Something like this? http://www.hockeytron.com/TRON-SK300-Team-Dry-Fit-Hockey-Socks-Notre-Dame.html :shrug:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Yes, but plain.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

I bump guys in drop-in all the time. It's technically a "check" because it's not incidental contact but no one gives a poo poo because everyone's friends and they do the same thing right back.

I assume that's what this "epic hip check" was and there's a bit of exaggeration going on.

Bumping isn't checking though. We bump & push and take position on guys all of the time at pickup, but I've never seen anyone straight up check anyone without getting man handled by almost everyone on the ice and thrown out.

With that said, I kinda figured llama was exaggerating some 8)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Haha yeah. Guys do check at this drop-in, but it's pretty rare because:

- The guys have to know each other.
- They have to be up for getting hit.
- They have to know it's coming
- It has to be safe.
- It should probably be funny.

But yeah, I've had pros at this skate put me rear end-over-teakettle before. If this guy had kept the puck and it had been in good enough position, I probably would have followed through with the hip.

edit: vvv The pros who come out are mostly ex-ECHL/CHL guys. I haven't had the good fortune of playing with anyone who was in the NHL in years. Even then it was rare.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 10, 2015

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

Haha yeah. Guys do check at this drop-in, but it's pretty rare because:

- The guys have to know each other.
- You have to kind of "know" they're up for getting hit.
- They have to know it's coming
- It has to be safe.

But yeah, I've had pros at this skate put me rear end-over-teakettle before. If this guy had kept the puck and it had been in good enough position, I probably would have followed through with the hip.

drat, pros at your drop in? Where are you playing?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

In my experience as an old person, hockey stick motions with added weight = tendonitis.

Under control, I see no reason why it would be riskier than most workouts.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Hockles posted:

Hockey socks inquiry.

Speak to Jersey53, they are pretty good for single run items.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So if you decide to bake skates, is it pointless to try to use a superfeet insole afterwards?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't see why, insoles and baking address completely different issues.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

So if you decide to bake skates, is it pointless to try to use a superfeet insole afterwards?

Superfeet have been shown to increase risk of concussion. Proceed at your own risk.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Superfeet have been shown to increase risk of concussion. Proceed at your own risk.

Superfeet. Cages. What's next Yellow laces?!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Concussions sustained wearing a cage and superfeet: 2
Concussions sustained not wearing a cage or superfeet: 0

checks out

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The only issue you might have with new insoles after baking is that it changes the way your foot sits in the boot slightly (heel goes up, toes come back). It might not matter, or might cause new hot spots. Worst case, you have to re-bake them, but it's totally worth it for the performance boost you'll get :smug:

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
"after i baked my skates i legit dunked over three people in pick up basketball the next day"

-Wayne Gretzky

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Bake with the Superfeet in and make sure you are wearing whatever skate socks you normally wear.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

hey I'm coming back to play this season. someone should accidentally have to be taken off the full roster so I can get back on and hit girlsskate backwards super fast again

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wear a cage and use superfeet, been skating 3.5 years and zero concussions.

This study has issues, we need a review board.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

xzzy posted:

I wear a cage and use superfeet, been skating 3.5 years and zero concussions.

This study has issues, we need a review board.

What color are your laces though?

For the second session in a row, our team has two bye weeks right before the start of playoffs... It's almost like they want us to lose.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

if you wear two concussion causing pieces of equipment at the same time, they negate each other

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

lazerwolf posted:

Superfeet. Cages. What's next Yellow laces?!

Green laces have been proven to prevent concussions and give you sweet dangles!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Dangerllama posted:

The only issue you might have with new insoles after baking is that it changes the way your foot sits in the boot slightly (heel goes up, toes come back). It might not matter, or might cause new hot spots. Worst case, you have to re-bake them, but it's totally worth it for the performance boost you'll get :smug:

Thanks. Turns out it doesn't matter, my heel lifts up slightly. I think I need a smaller size or something.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

AAB posted:

hey I'm coming back to play this season. someone should accidentally have to be taken off the full roster so I can get back on and hit girlsskate backwards super fast again

hell yeah. mike is supposedly coming back this season as well, with the multiple guys added last season it sounds like we're going to have a healthy roster.

7 player playoff games are now a thing of the past

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
So, wow, I have (at least) 4 games over the next few days. I love you, beginning of summer season.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Pinky Artichoke posted:

So, wow, I have (at least) 4 games over the next few days. I love you, beginning of summer season.

So envious.

e: actually, if we win all of our playoff games, we'll have games on Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday. Which would be AWESOME for a number of reasons.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Does anyone else get significant pain along the outside of their forearm after playing 2-3 games of hockey in a weekend? I assume its tendonitis.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

Does anyone else get significant pain along the outside of their forearm after playing 2-3 games of hockey in a weekend? I assume its tendonitis.

Sounds like the likeliest suspect. Does it just hurt or does it hurt when you do certain things.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Habibi posted:

Sounds like the likeliest suspect. Does it just hurt or does it hurt when you do certain things.

Bicep curls with my palms facing up hurt a lot (I've switched to just hammer curls which helps). Otherwise it's dull most of the day. Sometimes gripping will make it flare up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In my professional opinion, you have a concussion.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

That's me next weekend; I'll be playing at Johnson & Johnson's international charity tournament, which it turns out is actually a thing

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I'm also on the jealousy train. Our rink sponsored spring men's league tourney got canceled this year. Normally 3 games in 2 days, or 4 games in 3 days if you go to the championship game, but the rink booked too many youth hockey tournaments between now and the beginning of summer league so no hockey overload for us.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Vicas posted:

That's me next weekend; I'll be playing at Johnson & Johnson's international charity tournament, which it turns out is actually a thing

I'm trying to formulate a concussion and "no more tears" joke here but I haven't had enough coffee yet...

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Haven't been on the ice in two weeks. I have a game at 10:10 tomorrow night and a game at 10:00 on Sunday morning.

I like the sounds of this.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Benson Cunningham posted:

Bicep curls with my palms facing up hurt a lot (I've switched to just hammer curls which helps). Otherwise it's dull most of the day. Sometimes gripping will make it flare up.

I used to get this when I was doing curls often too, had to stop for several weeks before my fore-arms stopped aching under the slightest weight. I was about 25 then. I stopped doing curls and specific bodybuilding type stuff almost completely after that because I have a physical job anyway and I really don't care about mass anymore, so I can't tell you if I started up again if it would come back

I guess what I'm trying to say is that your weight lifting is more likely the culprit than your hockey.

(I'm a blacksmith and gripping the hammer would kill be and moving an anvil would kill me as soon as I let it go. Like the weight didn't do it but relaxing the muscle after the action almost put me in tears when it was bad.)

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Vicas posted:

Do you work for them in any capacity? There's some wicked corporate stories in the BFC thread. I hope their tourny is run as poorly.